Do you like combat?

MestaritonttuMestaritonttu Join Date: 2004-07-29 Member: 30229Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold
So, now that it's been around for a while:

Do you like combat, and how much do you play it?

I do remember there was a time when people were worried about combat "ruining NS2 just like it did NS1", but personally I find myself in perfect harmony with the regular NS2 and combat. Combat is something I do when I have little time, or just can't be bothered with another game of regular NS2. (Usually after a long and tedious game.)

There's 2-4 combat servers with players up in the EU most of the time.

Comments

• rantologyrantology Join Date: 2012-02-05 Member: 143750Members, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold
    edited April 2013
    If they just straight up removed the Onos and the Exosuit, the quality of combat mode would go up significantly. They are designed to be "capitol units" (super units) in ns2 as opposed to just units from ns1 and they are ill-suited for combat mode.

Other than that:
    --the automatic alien win after 20 minutes, this is just silly. There must be better ways to decide games.
    --Resupply should be tuned to the ns1 values (it feels incredibly slow in this version)
  • NeokenNeoken Bruges, Belgium Join Date: 2004-03-20 Member: 27447Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Playtester
    Whenever I want to play some NS2, yet don't have much time on hands, I hop into a combat server to get my fix.
  • SquishpokePOOPFACESquishpokePOOPFACE -21,248 posts (ignore below) Join Date: 2012-10-31 Member: 165262Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    It's harmless fun, but I don't play it as much as vanilla NS2.

What I like:
    Some good, simple maps
    Skulks appear faster and more interesting to fight against
    Upgrade system is simple and to the point, with some clever additions such as Ink and Auto-Scan

What I don't like:
    Some pretty crappy maps too
    Player limit too high
    Upgrades are unlocked a bit too fast (although that is dependent on your ability I guess)
    Alien wins after a time limit? Wow, that's lame.
  • turtsmcgurtturtsmcgurt Join Date: 2012-11-01 Member: 165456Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    As said, it would be far more fun if Exo's and Onos were removed.

I've only played it a few times (due to the reasoning above), but I noticed that once a few aliens went "early fade", no matter how much better of a player you are, you can only do so much unless you have other competent teammates, but that's not always the case. Ultimately i'd like fades to take slightly longer to get, preferably as long as it takes marines to get armor/weapon upgrades.
  • FuleFule Join Date: 2009-06-04 Member: 67683Members
    I like combat, but oni and exos in combat is absolute bs.
  • MestaritonttuMestaritonttu Join Date: 2004-07-29 Member: 30229Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold
    You're pretty bs with a Fade, Fule. :P

Just kidding! xD luv u broh.
  • WoollySammothWoollySammoth Join Date: 2013-02-14 Member: 183062Members
    edited April 2013
    Fule wrote: »
    I like combat, but oni and exos in combat is absolute bs.

Onoses* ;p

I quite like it, i tend to get better frame rates in combat than vanilla NS2, so it's good for getting my fix without a headache inducing endgame slide show :p

• RoobubbaRoobubba Who you gonna call? Join Date: 2003-01-06 Member: 11930Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    edited April 2013
    Been playing some of this today to unwind from a hard few days of solid NS2. I hated combat in NS1 - I found it really diluted the gaming experience and I just didn't get on with it. As it is, it's a great mod, really fun to just kick back and unwind. Who cares about team winning or losing in combat, stop kidding yourselves if you think anyone is playing that for the strategy of winning!

Of course, railgun exos are just brutally OP. Had some larks playing with those :D The only counter is an equal number of oni. And then you just switch to dual minis and the festival of destruction continues.
    I keep meaning to jump in as fade to practice, but the lure of the railgun is too strong... :P
  • RoobubbaRoobubba Who you gonna call? Join Date: 2003-01-06 Member: 11930Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    edited April 2013
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited April 2013
    I played it twice back in 2006 or 2007ish? I think it was... Actually I don't remember...
  • GrueneMedizinGrueneMedizin Join Date: 2012-12-13 Member: 175008Members
    It lets me play music in the background without having to worry about any rts elements and is just great for unwinding and practising
  • draktokdraktok Join Date: 2013-02-18 Member: 183156Members
    No. I don't have any objective, and the fps elements of this game aren't' enough to keep me entertained that long. I'd rather play bf3 if I want to just shoot people without thinking tbh.
  • IronsoulIronsoul Join Date: 2011-03-12 Member: 86048Members
    I don't like it. No, I don't feel like elaborating.
  • eliotmateliotmat Join Date: 2002-12-01 Member: 10350Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Love combat.

Also love Oni and Exos being part of combat.
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    I like it. I don't play it often though, maybe every other week. Its fun for when I just want to frag and not think.
    I much prefer the faded mod though, wish I would see that run more often.
  • WillzZzWillzZz Join Date: 2013-01-31 Member: 182667Members
    I enjoy it, but primarily use it to warmup for a scrim/match.

-exo/onos = Something isn't quite right. I do not enjoy the mod much when it gets to this stage.
    -time limit = why? And why alien win?
    -Player limits need to make sense, although that's on the server admin.
    -Some maps are rather bad. The one with portals and the ugly minimap is.. not my favorite map. The remade regular maps tend to be better and let me practice movement in a familiar room.
    -Fades/Onos should probably cost more (+1/2)
    -Jetpacks should probably cost 3 instead of 2.

Rapid Reload + scan + med packs as bonus upgrades for marines but just ink cloud for aliens? Maybe give random enzyme? That'd be fun and interesting :D

• KhyronKhyron Join Date: 2012-02-02 Member: 143308Members
    Yeah, I don't mind a bit of combat from time-to-time. I'd recommend it to newbie players because it helps get a lot of familiarity with the game without being particularly bound to a team strategy for tech options.
    rantology wrote: »
    If they just straight up removed the Onos and the Exosuit, the quality of combat mode would go up significantly. They are designed to be "capitol units" (super units) in ns2 as opposed to just units from ns1 and they are ill-suited for combat mode.

Other than that:
    --the automatic alien win after 20 minutes, this is just silly. There must be better ways to decide games.
    --Resupply should be tuned to the ns1 values (it feels incredibly slow in this version)

I think there are some restrictions on the top end stuff, like a maximum number on each team or something. Beyond that, different maps offer different opportunities and challenges for each type of unit, and that helps keep the experience fresh.

That alien win by default does seem kind of arbitrary but I actually like it. To me it gels with the ranged vs.melee aspect - marines tend to be awfully campy and so they need an incentive to be aggressive. The end result is the last few minutes are usually pretty desperate and intense which is fun :)
  • SewlekSewlek The programmer previously known as Schimmel Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16247Members, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, Subnautica Developer
    the mod is awesome, had some great fun playing it. it would need a lot of tweaking to make it "balanced", but for me thats not the point of the mod, it should be just fun and it definitely is.
  • kk20kk20 Join Date: 2012-10-30 Member: 164592Members
    edited April 2013
    I love combat. I probably play 9 co out of 10 games now. I'm often on teamwork and tactics server (they have consistency checking so no silly pink aliens)

fell out with vanilla a while ago as I don't have the time to find a server that has consistency checking and a decent fan base to play with. By decent I don't mean elite but admin'd

Since the patches have been geared more and more to competitive gameplay I have found pub games to be severely one sided unless a crack commander is present. Co_ is fairly immune due to the mod having many tweaks.

Each to their own though and choice is good!
  • dragonmithdragonmith Join Date: 2013-02-04 Member: 182817Members, Reinforced - Diamond
    I like simply because some of the maps are bat**** insane, such as a cylinder with marines at the bottom, and a large ladder going straight to the hive.

Shotguns and Fades can be a bit OP however...
  • MagnetoMagneto Join Date: 2010-12-22 Member: 75856Members
    I find myself playing it a bit more then standard ns2, what i like is it allows for more fun maps and game play, you're not limited by your team and don't have to worry about resources and map control, hopefully we might see more types of combat, mvm, ava, ctf, dm etc, it has a lot of potential.

There are some balance issues still and it needs some more features like xmenu and buildmenu, i also always thought it was a bad idea to make aliens win by default and suggested it be based on kills, deaths and damage done to hive/com with some visual to show how well teams are doing, that way both teams have a fair chance at winning by the end even if the hive/com isn't destroyed.

GvB5f.jpg
  • countbasiecountbasie Join Date: 2008-12-27 Member: 65884Members
    edited April 2013
    I only played combat in NS1 to practice my Fade bhopping (cele, focus, cara only vs xmenu lvl 500 ura ammo 200, autwelding and whatnot marines :D).
    Since the Fade movement is gone in NS2 I don't really need a tdm-version of it. The qualities of NS2 are different I think.

EDIT: Oh, and whatever you do, combat-guys, do never add xmenu. Believe me, that killed the NS1 server culture, not the combat mode itself.
  • Rellik_ptRellik_pt Join Date: 2013-01-22 Member: 181205Members
    i play sometimes but is something i dont like to play much or gets realy boring, mvm is a lot better that combat atleast for me
  • Ghosthree3Ghosthree3 Join Date: 2010-02-13 Member: 70557Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    Yeah, onos and exos pretty much ruin CO, once they come out the game basically says to you, be the opposite or suffer miserably. Fading is NO fun against 4 dual exos, and even with a JP, death is frequent against 3-4 onos that instant respawn. It's just not fun by that point. The PRE onos/exo part of CO is EXTREMELY fun though, and I'm sure I'd play it more if it lasted longer.
  • amoralamoral Join Date: 2013-01-03 Member: 177250Members
    maybe have an arc train that spawns after 18 minutes, big enough that a certain percentage can two shot a hive. then at 20 the aliens win if give is still up.
  • SquishpokePOOPFACESquishpokePOOPFACE -21,248 posts (ignore below) Join Date: 2012-10-31 Member: 165262Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited April 2013
    dragonmith wrote: »
    I like simply because some of the maps are bat**** insane, such as a cylinder with marines at the bottom, and a large ladder going straight to the hive.

Shotguns and Fades can be a bit OP however...

That is Co_Hellevator, one of the more interesting combat maps that I enjoyed. However, I personally felt that the alien and marine sides were totally backwards.

• CrushaKCrushaK Join Date: 2012-11-05 Member: 167195Members, NS2 Playtester
    Yeah, there are too many Exos/Onos in Combat. I am not for a total removal of them, just a more restrictive limit. Currently you can have 1 Onos for every 5 players on the team, so on a 20 players Combat server do you easily get 4 Onos. I would crank that up at least to 8 players per Onos.
    Not even sure if Dual Minigun and Railgun Exos are counting towards the same pool or are separately limited.

I find the alien autowin appropriate. Marines have a much easier time sniping a Hive down from the distance and to lock aliens down in spawn with constant GL spam. Plus after all is the marine's mission to end the infestation threat before it can spread out. If aliens actually win by destroying the marine CC, it feels like an even more deserved victory for aliens after all.
  • SyknikSyknik InversionNS2.com Join Date: 2002-11-01 Member: 2064Members, Constellation, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow
    I rage hard when I play it because there are so many stupid additions to it. I wasn't a big fan of NS:Combat either. nor am I a fan of the NS2 combat mod. Played in it when UGL had a Combat division, but that was short lived and it was always a joke and irritating to play. The idea of Combat is good, deathmatch style of NS but the way its being done is not fun for me. I definitely hope that they revisit the way Combat is being played and make it play out differently. Props to the modders who created it though.
  • mclawlsmclawls Join Date: 2013-03-02 Member: 183556Members
    Used to like it a few months ago, now pretty much every time I join a combat server it's just a cluster or marines pushing aliens that don't do shit, or a stomp, generally the first one though. There's the old bunch of gorges and hydras thing, or the whole sit around the hive strategy. I guess what else can you do when the marines simply go in a giant pack, basically it's boring as hell because there is no decent combat in combat, only cluster fucks.
  • CowMeatCowMeat Join Date: 2013-03-02 Member: 183557Members
    No. Too much like deathmatch for my tastes.