Babblers usefulness

Comments

• rantologyrantology Join Date: 2012-02-05 Member: 143750Members, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold
    edited April 2013
    Locklear wrote: »
    rantology wrote: »
    Babblers are useful :(

Lol, useful as a distraction/armor boost - that's about it.

They work OK as free AFK DPS also, if we've just cleared a room I'll put the babblers on the power node a lot of times.

And the armor boost isn't anything to laugh at, it's their primary purpose and it can make a significant difference early game :O (well, significant when you consider they cost a mere 1-2 p-res)

My only pet peeve with them (and really with all gorge abilities) is that stupid built in delay while dropping things. It makes them very clunky feeling and reduces the amount of opportunities you get it use them (you really can't drop them in or shortly before combat, they just take an agonizingly long time to deploy with the drop delays and the build time for the eggs) I don't want to stare at my babbler egg for a full second before I can drop my 2nd one. Same wit clogs (which are still completely broken :| ).
  • ScardyBobScardyBob ScardyBob Join Date: 2009-11-25 Member: 69528Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    Better question is how many people posting in this thread play gorge on a regular basis?

I mostly play fade, so I haven't really played enough gorge to figure out where and when babblers are effective, just as I don't have really good knowledge of the best placement of clogs or hydras. However, I've seen some good gorge players do some amazing things with clogs and hydras. The same is true for babblers.
  • DestherDesther Join Date: 2012-10-31 Member: 165195Members

They work OK as free AFK DPS also, if we've just cleared a room I'll put the babblers on the power node a lot of times.

The only issue with free DPS is that it cost you time and energy (heal/slide energy) to build the babblers when you could have been doing ~60 DPS for 5 seconds with spit instead.

• JektJekt Join Date: 2012-02-05 Member: 143714Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited April 2013
    Grumpy suggestion thing for babblers:

Reduce babbler egging time to nothing (why even have an egg). Rework bait ball thing to be a projectile. Have babblers quickly follow and attach themselves. Allow for a way for gorges to accurately and promptly attach babblers to an alien.

I don't understand why babblers and the bait ball are so slow and retarded. I imagined a bait ball to work like a parasite really, where a gorge can quickly attach their babblers to an alien more than half a meter apart from you. It lands, babblers either go to the location or attach to the alien quickly. No waiting for the babblers to hatch, waiting for them to catch up and then no asking someone to stand still for a few seconds while you fiddle around with a yellow balloon.

They're cute though.
  • CrushaKCrushaK Join Date: 2012-11-05 Member: 167195Members, NS2 Playtester

And the armor boost isn't anything to laugh at, it's their primary purpose and it can make a significant difference early game :O (well, significant when you consider they cost a mere 1-2 p-res)

My only pet peeve with them (and really with all gorge abilities) is that stupid built in delay while dropping things. It makes them very clunky feeling and reduces the amount of opportunities you get it use them (you really can't drop them in or shortly before combat, they just take an agonizingly long time to deploy with the drop delays and the build time for the eggs) I don't want to stare at my babbler egg for a full second before I can drop my 2nd one. Same wit clogs (which are still completely broken :| ).

It makes somewhat sense for Clogs to prevent Gorges from replacing them faster than marines can tear them down, but for something that costs res and thus has a built-in limit is there no real reason for the delay.

• OutlawDrOutlawDr Join Date: 2009-06-21 Member: 67887Members
    edited April 2013
    CrushaK wrote: »
    What if I want to keep my Babblers for attacking? Never healspray anyone during combat? My team will love it…
    Why not make it so that spitting on a friendly alien will make them latch onto it instead? Spitting on the ground below you will make them latch onto you.

That could work. Whatever the specifics, the core idea is that the gorge player is in direct and tighter control of the babblers, and their effectiveness is tied to the player's skill.
  • KamamuraKamamura Join Date: 2013-03-06 Member: 183736Members, Reinforced - Gold
    Excellent points. That awkward glowing ball should go - babblers are too much centered around the concept of "cute", rather than "useful".
  • LocklearLocklear [nexzil]kerrigan Join Date: 2012-05-01 Member: 151403Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, WC 2013 - Shadow

My only pet peeve with them (and really with all gorge abilities) is that stupid built in delay while dropping things.

Yeah but the entire game is one giant delay so gg.
  • BicsumBicsum Join Date: 2012-02-27 Member: 147596Members, Reinforced - Gold
    The shielding function is quite useful, but thats about it.
  • AurOn2AurOn2 COOKIES! FREEDOM, AND BISCUITS! Australia Join Date: 2012-01-13 Member: 140224Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Forum staff
    Somewhat useful
    But only against idiots who think they are an actual threat.
    They've saved my life on countless occasions
    So there are countless idiots. :D
  • KopungaKopunga Join Date: 2013-01-10 Member: 178764Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    I have developed a sophisticated defense strategy against Babblers: /ignore
    Whenever I see Babblers, I kill the Gorge and go away...
    Works fine for me.
  • Know painKnow pain Join Date: 2012-09-04 Member: 157674Members
    It’s useless outweighs its usefulness so it’s utterly useless.
  • Super_GorgeSuper_Gorge Join Date: 2013-03-22 Member: 184212Members
    edited April 2013
    ScardyBob wrote: »
    Better question is how many people posting in this thread play gorge on a regular basis?

I mostly play fade, so I haven't really played enough gorge to figure out where and when babblers are effective, just as I don't have really good knowledge of the best placement of clogs or hydras. However, I've seen some good gorge players do some amazing things with clogs and hydras. The same is true for babblers.

I play gorge alot.

Babblers are good stuff. Especially if you're at a newly dropped hive and aliens are bouncing back for health, it's worth dropping two eggs and heal spraying them at the same time as the hive and then giving them to another alien who then runs off and attacks. Or if I'm clogging up an area and an alien comes for healing, I'll give them babblers. And they're useful when sneak attacking a base to babbler yourself before attacking. 150 armor can sometimes be the difference between surviving long enough to kill the power and dying for nothing.

Some dumb marines see a babbler and assume there's an undefended gorge out there. To which skulks then ambush and nom him. Cheap form of bait.

There are also a fair number of vents where you can not only hydra/bile from but send your babblers out to do damage. Much better to lose babblers then dying yourself. Marines focus on the babblers while you bile everything to death from the relative safety of a vent.

Babblers BY THEMSELVES are garbage. But babblers in coordination with other life forms can be useful.
    edited April 2013
    Farknut wrote: »
    Most useless feature ever put into a game. Below utterly useless, and I challenge anyone to find anything worse.

1 babbler can set off 3 mines or more.

So 1/3 of a res to take out 15? That's darn useful.
  • KopungaKopunga Join Date: 2013-01-10 Member: 178764Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    Most useless feature ever put into a game. Below utterly useless, and I challenge anyone to find anything worse.

1 bilebomb can take out all the mines in the area and 0 res to take 15-45 res THAT's darn useful...
    And if you don't have bilebomb, spit does the trick aswell but not as fast.....

• BentRingBentRing Join Date: 2003-03-04 Member: 14318Members
    Spit from a gorge destroys mines, and bile bomb is even better.

I think Locklear hit the nail on the head with "useful as a distraction/armor boost - that's about it."
  • tarquinbbtarquinbb Join Date: 2012-11-03 Member: 166314Members
    edited April 2013
    ScardyBob wrote: »

i wouldn't say i play gorge on a regular basis, but mostly because i play what's needed. generally speaking, an extra 'above average skilled' skulk/lerk/fade player is far more valuable than an extra 'above average skilled' gorge player.

you can defend/delay a chokepoint against 2-3 marines quite easily, assuming the marines give you 25 minutes to place your fussy clogs. you don't want your 3:1 skulk players filling that gorge role.

i think a lot of people hoped that babblers would have more potential, therefore giving the gorge a greater skill ceiling. but they just turned out to be a mobile hydra, which are about as effective as inflatable water wings when actually IN COMBAT.
    Kopunga wrote: »

1 bilebomb can take out all the mines in the area and 0 res to take 15-45 res THAT's darn useful...
    And if you don't have bilebomb, spit does the trick aswell but not as fast.....

But that requires energy. And a babbler can set them off faster.

edited April 2013
    tarquinbb wrote: »
    generally speaking, an extra 'above average skilled' skulk/lerk/fade player is far more valuable than an extra 'above average skilled' gorge player.

you can defend/delay a chokepoint against 2-3 marines quite easily, assuming the marines give you 25 minutes to place your fussy clogs. you don't want your 3:1 skulk players filling that gorge role.

i think a lot of people hoped that babblers would have more potential, therefore giving the gorge a greater skill ceiling. but they just turned out to be a mobile hydra, which are about as effective as inflatable water wings when actually IN COMBAT.

Depends. Late game above average skilled gorge player can do more damage to marine bases then a fade could ever hope to. Plus an above average skilled gorge player with a just okay fade player can make that fade far more dangerous with accurate bile bombing. Squads of no armor marines are easy pickings. Especially if that gorge puts 150 more armor on that Fade. And you only really need about a minute to create a defense capable of holding off 2~3 marines in many areas. I remember on Tram I was able to entirely lock up the entrance from Logistics to Repair in 30 seconds with Hydras with the new clog placement thus bottling marines up in Shipping. Before it would take less than 15 seconds to lock things down.

Babblers themselves are pretty garbage. But they are useful supplements to other classes.
  • ezekelezekel Join Date: 2012-11-29 Member: 173589Members, NS2 Map Tester
    somewhat useful - I like it when a gorge attaches them to me and gives me that extra armor, but as for attacking players they are really nothing but an annoyance.. but if they were too strong then I think it'd be an issue

Also I'm not sure how much damage they do to structures but they can cause you to head over to an RT thinking it's a skulk (until you hear babblers of course) and assuming there was no scan done
  • Ghosthree3Ghosthree3 Join Date: 2010-02-13 Member: 70557Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    They're SORT of useful, if used right in small battles they can turn the tide very effectively (eg. 2v2 marinesVskulks), all those little things hopping infront of your vision makes it noticeably harder to hit skulks, even if they don't actually take any shots.

Again...SORT of useful.
  • amoralamoral Join Date: 2013-01-03 Member: 177250Members
    Ghosthree3 wrote: »
    They're SORT of useful, if used right in small battles they can turn the tide very effectively (eg. 2v2 marinesVskulks), all those little things hopping infront of your vision makes it noticeably harder to hit skulks, even if they don't actually take any shots.

Again...SORT of useful.

not even, 2 decent marines would just kill the skulk then kill the gorge for free.

• Ghosthree3Ghosthree3 Join Date: 2010-02-13 Member: 70557Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    There's 2 skulks though.
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts

My only pet peeve with them (and really with all gorge abilities) is that stupid built in delay while dropping things.

This was done for a very good reason.
    Without a delay an average gorge was able to permanently block a passageway in our PT games, and could do so indefinitely if a shift was nearby (hello alien turtle?) two gorges doing this was insane.

What many forget was that the previous mechanic had a built in delay, requiring pressing 2, then 2, then mouse click - which had an inherent delay with each selection no matter how fast the user was. This artificial delay was meant to mimic that timing. Its close but not perfect. 25% less would do it I think.
  • amoralamoral Join Date: 2013-01-03 Member: 177250Members
    also the not being able to place clogs where you want really hampers things. also, it doesn't mimic it even slightly, I'd say make the delay duration 25 percent of what it is now would mimic the time it takes to hit 2 twice and click.
  • SixtyWattManSixtyWattMan Join Date: 2004-09-05 Member: 31404Members
    IronHorse wrote: »

Without a delay an average gorge was able to permanently block a passageway in our PT games, and could do so indefinitely if a shift was nearby (hello alien turtle?) two gorges doing this was insane.

What many forget was that the previous mechanic had a built in delay, requiring pressing 2, then 2, then mouse click - which had an inherent delay with each selection no matter how fast the user was. This artificial delay was meant to mimic that timing. Its close but not perfect. 25% less would do it I think.

Maybe all the playtesters just suck.
  • joederpjoederp Join Date: 2012-11-02 Member: 165992Members

I was LITERALLY about to reply to this guy, "How are you not banned yet?!" and then I noticed his avatar is gone and he is banned, lol!
  • MMZ_TorakMMZ_Torak Join Date: 2002-11-02 Member: 3770Members
    joederp wrote: »

I was LITERALLY about to reply to this guy, "How are you not banned yet?!" and then I noticed his avatar is gone and he is banned, lol!

I've been wondering this for awhile myself...
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    edited April 2013
    While his posts don't warrant a response, I can address the general concern of pt skill :

Despite the intentionally varied skill levels amongst our team, (from top comp teams to pub stars) It doesn't take skill to organize a firing squad of five marines concentrating fire on one clog in a testing environment. ;-)

• rantologyrantology Join Date: 2012-02-05 Member: 143750Members, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold
    edited April 2013
    Clogs are about as useless as they have ever been. :/ The only thing they are good at is meat-shielding RTs and upgrades. so I don't really care that much about the timing for those. But you used to be able to put up your wall in probably half the time it takes now. (loller mountain goat physics)

I do think in terms of babblers their energy cost, the build time of the eggs, and the drop delay severely limits their useful-ness outside of pre-meditated scenarios where you already have them deployed. These things seem overly harsh considering their limited function and the fact that they are a p-res ability. Also another minor pet peeve is how tedious the bait ball is to use. Even just trying to give them to team mates as armor is a process that often requires me saying over mic "hold on, can you stop moving for a sec so I can actually hit you with this bait ball?".