NS2 on Debian Squeeze

Comments

• ZaggyZaggy NullPointerException The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-12-10 Member: 24214Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Onos, Subnautica Playtester
    edited October 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1995854:date=Oct 24 2012, 01:32 AM:name=Whosat)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Whosat @ Oct 24 2012, 01:32 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1995854"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Hmm you're sure you have permissions to write in that directory you chose yeah? And try removing "validate". (actually the command I use is "verify", not sure if that will make any difference)<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Yup, 'tis in my home folder.

Forgot to "set force_install_dir ns2",
    <!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->App state (0x300502) downloading, progress: 51.11 (613503161 / 1200252922)<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    yay!
  • ZaggyZaggy NullPointerException The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-12-10 Member: 24214Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Onos, Subnautica Playtester
    edited October 2012
    Ran into DLL missing errors:
    wine Server.exe -name "zaggynl's test server" -map ns2_eclipse -ip 141.138.149.66 -port 27015 -limit 16 -lan false
    wine: Call from 0x7b839cf2 to unimplemented function msvcp80.dll.??0?$basic_stringstream@DU?$char_traits@D@std@@V?$allocator@D@2@@std@@QAE@H@Z, aborting
    err:module:attach_process_dlls "Spark_Core.dll" failed to initialize, aborting
    err:module:LdrInitializeThunk Main exe initialization for L"Z:\\home\\ \\ns2server\\ns2\\Server.exe" failed, status 80000100

fixed with:
    cd ~/.wine/drive_c/windows/winsxs/manifests/
    mv x86_microsoft.vc80.crt_1fc8b3b9a1e18e3b_8.0.50727.4053_none_deadbeef.manifest x86_microsoft.vc80.crt_1fc8b3b9a1e18e3b_8.0.50727.4053_none_deadbeef.manifest_
    (added underscore)

note: running ubuntu 12.04 server

Server runs! yay!

Managed to get server running without X windows system like so:
    (had to sudo apt-get install xvfb first)

<!--c1--><div class='codetop'>CODE</div><div class='codemain'><!--ec1-->#!/bin/bash
    Xvfb :1 &
    echo "NS2 Server Starting...."
    sleep 1
    cd ns2
    DISPLAY=:1 screen -A -m -d -S ns2 wine Server.exe -name "zaggynl's test server" -webadmin -webport <portnumber> -map ns2_summit -ip <ipaddress> -port 27015 -limit 16 -lan false
    echo "Attaching to server console.."
    screen -x ns2<!--c2--></div><!--ec2-->
    edited October 2012
    Question, how do I input commands on the server console?

<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Server Console
    You can access the server console by selecting the active server window, hitting tab (to bring up the console window) and then ~ (tilde) (to bring up the console command line).<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Not much happening for me with Tab and ~.

edit: nvm, using webinterface
  • ScyllaScylla Join Date: 2003-08-05 Member: 18942Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1968712:date=Aug 30 2012, 12:01 AM:name=TermFrags)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (TermFrags @ Aug 30 2012, 12:01 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1968712"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec--><u><b>Features that WILL NOT work when hosting NS2 on Linux with Wine:</b></u>
    - ServerAdmins.json works perfectly, the server reads from the file. But admin commands cannot be executed at all from the game console or server console, so ServerAdmins.json is almost pointless.
    - Server Addons. Admin mods, NS2Stats, and other game modifications will not work at all.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Does this features work now with some of the newer builds using Linux/WINE to host a NS2 server?
  • MaxunitMaxunit Join Date: 2005-02-01 Member: 39414Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1996784:date=Oct 25 2012, 11:38 AM:name=Zaggy)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Zaggy @ Oct 25 2012, 11:38 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1996784"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->edit: nvm, using webinterface<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Heyo Zaggy,

can you give me some advice on how to get the webinterface working? The instructions are for windows, sadly and I'm still figuring out, how I have to do what, to get everything running...I'm glad, that the basic server is running now.
  • WhosatWhosat Singapore Join Date: 2006-11-03 Member: 58301Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    The command line options for the webinterface should be consistent.

-webadmin
    -webport
    -webdomain

Then choose your method of authentication <a href="http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/wiki/index.php/Dedicated_Server#Web_Administration" target="_blank">http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/wiki/inde..._Administration</a>
  • MaxunitMaxunit Join Date: 2005-02-01 Member: 39414Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Thankies, got it working.

Now I'm trying to get mods actually running. I will have a look at that.
  • WhosatWhosat Singapore Join Date: 2006-11-03 Member: 58301Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Info's all on the wiki! :)
    Ah I thought I have to do some workarounds, since server mods are stated as NOT WORKING in the OP from this topic.

Anyway, I'm running a 12 Slot Server right now on my Linux Dedicated using the most minimalistic setup to put most ressources into the NS2 Server and next to the Server, I only have 2 Team Fortress 2 Mann vs. Machine Servers running and right now I have an average CPU load of 68%. That seems to be...okay...could be better. It went better tho after shutting down the empty Minecraft Server, which used up around 20% of the CPU.
    If you can confirm that server mods work under WINE then we will update the wiki with that info :)
    edited November 2012
    Okay, can you confirm, that NS2Stats works for anyone else here, who uses WINE to get the NS2Dedicated running?

I just flawlessly used NS2Stats and DAK Admin. I haven't tried it with NS1 Movement or something else, but I'm still "derping" around.

NS2Stats properly recorded the stats, mapvote worked etc pp.

EDIT:

Update: "NS 1 Movement" caused issues. I could jump REALLY high and run REALLY fast...maybe it was conflicting with another mod. DAK and NS2Stats work properly, just installed Badges and will check that one out.

Badges are working as well.

EDIT 2:

Here 3 links to 3 screenshots from the server shell, client console and scoreboard.

<a href="http://www.vgunetwork.com/badges.jpg" target="_blank">http://www.vgunetwork.com/badges.jpg</a>
    <a href="http://www.vgunetwork.com/console.jpg" target="_blank">http://www.vgunetwork.com/console.jpg</a>
    <a href="http://www.vgunetwork.com/shell.jpg" target="_blank">http://www.vgunetwork.com/shell.jpg</a>

EDIT 3:

The NS2 Movement Mod conflicts with NS2Stats and therefor the speedrunning. Both have a Player.lua and the Player.lua file fails consistency check and therefor it gets disabled. Borked movement code is the result.
    Awesome thanks Maxunit! I will update the wiki when I have the time :)
    edited November 2012
    Thanks to a startup script, which Zaggy posted, I got around it working. Here is an example script, which loads Badges, DAK and NS2Stats:

<!--c1--><div class='codetop'>CODE</div><div class='codemain'><!--ec1-->#!/bin/bash
    echo "NS2 Server Starting...."
    sleep 1
    screen -A -m -d -S ns2server wine Server.exe -name "ServerName" -webadmin -webdomain ip -webuser name -webpassword passwort -webport port -map maphere -ip iphere -port porthere -limit 12 -modstorage "/home/examplename/ns2server/ns2/config/mods" -mods "5f4f178 5fd7a38 5f42a0c"<!--c2--></div><!--ec2-->

Information about my setup:

Ubuntu 10.04.02 LTS x64
    WINE 1.4 (not 1.4.1 or 1.5)
    and all the other things listed on the OP like VNC, Desktop etc.
    Oh, I would like to update this topic regarding the matter, that the console won't work.

This isn't entirely correct anymore. If you add the -console switch in the command line, then you get a basic grey window and you can call down a fully working console with the tilde key (~). I just tested it out. Works flawlessly.
  • ionfluxionflux Join Date: 2012-11-24 Member: 173039Members, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited December 2012
    <!--c1--><div class='codetop'>CODE</div><div class='codemain'><!--ec1-->[steam@445960a steamcmd]$ STEAMEXE=steamcmd ./steam.sh
    Redirecting stderr to '/home/steam/steamcmd/logs/stderr.txt'
    [  0%] Checking for available updates...
    [  0%] Download complete.
    [----] Verifying installation...
    Steam Console Client (c) Valve Corporation
    -- type 'quit' to exit --
    Loading Steam3...OK.
    Loading Steam2...OK.

Steam>login *** ***

Logging in user '***' to Steam Public...Success.

Steam>force_install_dir ../ns2/

Steam>app_update 4940 validate
    ERROR! Failed to install app '4940' (Invalid platform)<!--c2--></div><!--ec2-->
    any idea? centos 6 x64, wine 1.4.1

app_update 740 (cs:go), 215360 (kf) downloads perfectly fine. so i'm thinking this 4940 is an exclusive issue.
  • endarendar Join Date: 2010-07-27 Member: 73256Members, Squad Five Blue
    You could try 4920? It has the full files so larger download, probably still wont work.
  • ionfluxionflux Join Date: 2012-11-24 Member: 173039Members, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow
    Yeah, I've tried it
    <!--c1--><div class='codetop'>CODE</div><div class='codemain'><!--ec1-->Steam>app_update 4920 validate
    ERROR! Failed to install app '4920' (No subscription)<!--c2--></div><!--ec2-->
  • RothgarRothgar Join Date: 2009-11-13 Member: 69372Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2048474:date=Dec 20 2012, 09:39 PM:name=ionflux)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ionflux @ Dec 20 2012, 09:39 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2048474"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Yeah, I've tried it
    <!--c1--><div class='codetop'>CODE</div><div class='codemain'><!--ec1-->Steam>app_update 4920 validate
    ERROR! Failed to install app '4920' (No subscription)<!--c2--></div><!--ec2--><!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I am not sure if you did this but I think you would need to use the username & password of your steam account that owns a copy of NS2 for 4920 (Client) to work.

4940 (Server) does not require a valid ownership of NS2.
  • RamsusRamsus Join Date: 2005-01-16 Member: 35996Members, Constellation
    I get the same error

Steam>app_update 4920 validate
    ERROR! Failed to install app '4920' (Invalid Platform)

For both 4920 and 4940. I have permissions to the directory I set and I am using the account I have NS2 on.

• gH0sTygH0sTy Join Date: 2013-02-01 Member: 182727Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Same here

Steam>app_update 4940
    ERROR! Failed to install app '4940' (Invalid Platform)

Need linux server files!
  • GrEEnFiReGrEEnFiRe Join Date: 2013-02-10 Member: 182956Members
    Same here :[ Is there anyway to run the server on debian ? :o
  • AurOn2AurOn2 COOKIES&#33; FREEDOM, AND BISCUITS&#33; Australia Join Date: 2012-01-13 Member: 140224Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Forum staff
    edited February 2013
    GrEEnFiRe wrote: »
    Same here :[ Is there anyway to run the server on debian ? :o
    Well I had to download the server files to my Windows PC, 7zip it (~250MB), upload it to the Linux server and extract it.
    That currently seems to be the only way to get the server files onto a Linux server :(
  • Tw0F1shTw0F1sh Join Date: 2013-02-23 Member: 183296Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    edited March 2013
    But the first problem is if an update is avable you must upload the whole server agan.
    and the second problem is if you use "app_update 4940" to downlaod the server files you can´t setup an ENSL server because you nee all the game + server files. (for the "Consistency" from models and materials...)

Solution for the first problem? I try to code a programm that filter all new files on your Computer after an update and you only need to upload these small files (i cant code this programm because no time)

Solution for the second problem is you must use "app_update 4920" (game files + server files) but than the directory is over 6 GB and you need a very long time to upload this (if an update is avable you must redo the uplaod!) [color=#00CC00]ID 4920 = 6,65 GB(rar_best_compression=2,84GB)[/color

An another solution is you setup a virtual machine like VirtualBox or VMWare-Server on you root.( i have try it, i have surrender)
    I have also try to run "steamcmd.exe" with wine, no solution!

I have also try to sniff the download connection with wireshark but i am not experienced on this area...

BUT

the simpel solution is if steam or Valve remove the check for you OS where you run the steam CMD...

OR

Unknownworlds create Linux Serverfiles

OR

One here Upload everytime the newest game + server files and give us the download url. Than we "curl" or "wget" us these files....

if any coder read this you can try to code the filter tool for us ;)
    My algorythmus for the filter tool is to create from all files in both directorys MD5-Checksums and comparing these. Than you must extrackt the marked files only. Finish!

Tw0F1sh [sry for my bad language but i am german]
    You don't need to upload all server files again after an update.
    I'm using Copy Handler to copy only those files to another folder which have a "Last write date" >= the date I updated the server on my dektop PC.
    84UlN7b.png
    yvwSBkI.png
    Then I just upload the updated files to the linux server.
    If there are large updates like the Gorgeous one I 7zip it and extract it on the server after the upload.
  • Tw0F1shTw0F1sh Join Date: 2013-02-23 Member: 183296Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    ohhh nice, i look for this <3

ty
  • KamamuraKamamura Join Date: 2013-03-06 Member: 183736Members, Reinforced - Gold
    The performance hit must be insane. Unless they are native binaries, I don't see much sense doing it for such a CPU hungry game. I have seen enough slideshows on native Windows servers.
    Running a 18 slot server on debian squeeze with wine 1.4.1 an i7 2600 CPU and 16 GB RAM.
    Ther performance is absolutely fine, no lags or massive FPS drops at all :)
  • funkoolowfunkoolow Join Date: 2003-04-28 Member: 15917Members, WC 2013 - Supporter
    any news about a linux friendly srv? I got the infamous "ERROR! Failed to install app '4940' (Invalid platform)" on my centos srv after all the efforts spent months ago with steamcmd and wine and such :(
  • StopSpazzingStopSpazzing Join Date: 2005-02-26 Member: 42529Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited April 2013
    funkoolow wrote: »
    any news about a linux friendly srv? I got the infamous "ERROR! Failed to install app '4940' (Invalid platform)" on my centos srv after all the efforts spent months ago with steamcmd and wine and such :(

The problem you are running into is you are trying to run the LINUX version of STEAMCMD not the WINDOWS version, and since there is no LINUX version of NS2 Dedicated server shows up as invalid plaform meaning you need to be on WINDOWS to download it. I ran into this problem too. Solution?

Download THIS file:
    http://media.steampowered.com/client/steamcmd_win32.zip

I am having a completely different issue:
    https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/5968175/error with steamcmd.jpg

Using "app_update 4940" after being in steamcmd.exe under wine, it starts downloading and then displays the same message on how far it has downloaded, over and over and over...for instance gets stuck at 0.50 percent and keeps giving me that line, then closes. Link above is the error in console.

I am running Debian 64bit, Wine 1.4.1, xfce4, and xorg on a remote server. Everything up until the NS2 dedicated game files download, works.

Guess going to go the hard way to install on windows and move the files over zipped:
    Tw0F1sh wrote: »

7zip ultra compression gets it to 379MB for 4940 :D

If I recieved permission to compress and distribute the files from UWE, I would upload them to my server for anyone to grab.