Alt+Tab is Causing Game to Crash

frallan123frallan123 Join Date: 2012-05-12 Member: 151962Members
edited March 2013 in Technical Support
Hey everyone, I have a small problem with NS2 at the moment. When ever I press alt+tab to desktop and then back in again in NS2 my screen turns black and I hear a weird sound and then I'm in NS2. In the console I'm having these errors

Error: IDirect3DDevice9:: Reset to Resolution (Device Lost)

u5SKa9W.png

I've had this error for a while now so I dont think its driver related even though my graphic cards downclocks themself to idle but I can force them back up again to full speeds.

What can I do to fix this problem?

edit: Its indeed my drivers that are crashing when I try to tab into NS2 again. All pages of Google Chrome Turns black. This is the only game I've encountered this error. So I believe its game specific. My GPU's are not overclocked.

Log file
Date: 03/27/13
Time: 04:26:52
--------------------------------------------------------------
Build 243
Steam initialized
Render Device: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680 (9.18.13.1421)
Sound Device: Speakers (3- High Definition Audio Device) stereo
Record Device: Microphone (3- High Definition Audio Device)
Mounting mod from C:/Users/FRALLAN/AppData/Roaming/Natural Selection 2/Workshop/m67e3b77_1353354858/
Mounting mod from C:/Users/FRALLAN/AppData/Roaming/Natural Selection 2/Workshop/m66f9038_1352735809/
Loading config://ConsoleBindings.json
Loading config://FavoriteServers.json
Main Menu Initialized at Version: 243
Steam Id: 56189610
Error: Direct3DDevice::Unable to get render target data

Comments

• rwsrws Milwaukee, WI Join Date: 2013-01-05 Member: 177696Members
    Try updating/reinstalling your graphics drivers and/or DirectX.
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    Looks like you are running an EVGA overlay. Disable all overlays, they dont play well with NS2. Including Mumble, TS3, Msi afterburner etc.
  • frallan123frallan123 Join Date: 2012-05-12 Member: 151962Members
    IronHorse wrote: »
    Looks like you are running an EVGA overlay. Disable all overlays, they dont play well with NS2. Including Mumble, TS3, Msi afterburner etc.

I'll try that out
    rws wrote: »
    Try updating/reinstalling your graphics drivers and/or DirectX.

Already done this several times :(

• SjNSjN Join Date: 2003-01-07 Member: 11983Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    I started getting it too after the last update. If I keep the game alt tabbed for longer than couple of minutes, it crashes. It sucks.
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    Yes, asking a fullscreened multiplayer game to alt tab for minutes is asking a lot, for any game.
    If you'd like less issues with it, then use the fullscreen windowed mode.
  • frallan123frallan123 Join Date: 2012-05-12 Member: 151962Members
    I disabled all overlays still game crashed with same error :X
  • FarrenFarren Join Date: 2005-03-13 Member: 45065Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited April 2013

I've never had this problem with MSI Afterburner or Razer Gamebooster's fps overlays, so it is likely a combination of software and hardware. Though I'll be using the "fps" console command in the future. Will test leaving it alt-tabbed for several minutes tonight.
    The device lost issue is a very very well documented issue that one of the developers described as "black magic" to prevent.
    Almost anything using your GPU drivers can have this happen.
    Engines like UE3 check every single frame whether your device is lost.

Its one of the most common tech support issues, and the devs are aware of it.

In the meantime, utilize fullscreen windowed like i mentioned and you should have no problem.
  • BongoBongBongoBong Join Date: 2012-11-08 Member: 168472Members
    In the meantime, utilize fullscreen windowed like i mentioned and you should have no problem.

Been having a similar problem with game crashing if I alt tabbed. I didn't actually realize there was a windowed mode that didnt have the "window box" or whatever it is called along the top, and around the sides. This fixes it for me!
    Yea, once you know, you window.
    :-D
  • DC_DarklingDC_Darkling Join Date: 2003-07-10 Member: 18068Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver
    windowed mode in most games reduces fps, however I have been using full screen windowed mode on any game since HL2 introduced me to it.

its a amazing thing. :)
  • Ghosthree3Ghosthree3 Join Date: 2010-02-13 Member: 70557Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    edited April 2013
    It only reduces FPS if the GPU is the bottleneck ;)

EDIT: And tbh, I'll lose 10fps for the ability to instant alt tab whenever.
  • DC_DarklingDC_Darkling Join Date: 2003-07-10 Member: 18068Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver
    @ghosthree3
    So agreed. I even select vidcards with fps in windowed mode in mind & tend to start getting annoyed if any new game doesn't have a capable fullscreen windowed mode.
    I have never seen a realistic con for windowed mode except some fps loss and some games not running true fullscreen. (which in both cases I can live with)