ns_refinery is broken

EvisceratorEviscerator Join Date: 2003-02-24 Member: 13946Members, Constellation

Aliens spawn containment, marines turbine. GG no re. All marines have to do is push as a team to chasm, set up an armory, and kill the hive from a very safe distance. Research mines, drop them everywhere, and there's nothing that aliens can do to stop it.

Comments

• |strofix||strofix| Join Date: 2012-11-01 Member: 165453Members
    In such a situation, both pipeline and flow control are very easy to take and hold for the alien team.

I have never played in or seen a marine turbine spawn though.
  • draktokdraktok Join Date: 2013-02-18 Member: 183156Members
  • EvisceratorEviscerator Join Date: 2003-02-24 Member: 13946Members, Constellation
    Sorry, meant smelting, confused the two. I don't think marines can spawn at turbine. Regardless of what aliens can capture on the left side of the map, there's nothing to stop a campfest at chasm and destruction of your starting hive. Marines just bum rush chasm from smelting, which takes 20 seconds.
    In my experience, aliens spawning in turbine make conduit nigh on impossible to take, unless you pile your entire team in there, in which case you can't expand to the rest of the map.

Aliens spawning in containment are sufficiently far away from marine spawn to be safe.
  • TheriusTherius Join Date: 2009-03-06 Member: 66642Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    You could make such a strawman of every map, saying that all marines have to do is walk to spot A and shoot the hive down without aliens being able to do anything.

Why isn't the alien team preventing them from walking to said spot? Sounds like you were simply outplayed.
  • RippsyRippsy Join Date: 2013-01-16 Member: 179921Members
    Strofix, this has happened to me (from marines and aliens) pretty much every time Marines spawn in Smelting, they all rush straight to Turbine, quick forward base and are almost impossible to remove - this also denies any cyst chain going through the centre of map due to the layout. The flanking vent doesn't go far enough back to provide proper flanking - since you have to get into the area before you can get into the vent.

From this point you can deny the 3 resource locations (Containment, Chasm, Lava Falls north) with almost no effort due to line of sight.

If the Marines do not instantly egglock/destroy Aliens, the tactic at this point is to go to pipeline, then exchange and flow, which leaves them on 3 resource points to marines 5.

The changes needed to resolve this are a redesign of the chasm vent/hallway to remove simple shooting gallery. It's a valid tactic, but right now it is simply to easy for Marines to pull off it's almost
    Rippsy wrote: »
    Strofix, this has happened to me (from marines and aliens) pretty much every time Marines spawn in Smelting, they all rush straight to Turbine, quick forward base and are almost impossible to remove - this also denies any cyst chain going through the centre of map due to the layout. The flanking vent doesn't go far enough back to provide proper flanking - since you have to get into the area before you can get into the vent.

From this point you can deny the 3 resource locations (Containment, Chasm, Lava Falls north) with almost no effort due to line of sight.

If the Marines do not instantly egglock/destroy Aliens, the tactic at this point is to go to pipeline, then exchange and flow, which leaves them on 3 resource points to marines 5.

The changes needed to resolve this are a redesign of the chasm vent/hallway to remove simple shooting gallery. It's a valid tactic, but right now it is simply to easy for Marines to pull off it's almost

The concept of helplessly losing the resource tower in your own hive is quite worrying. If that happens, you have already lost the game, and it has nothing to do with the map layout.

Taking chasm that reliably requires a massive concerted push in that direction. Which means no flow control or transit.
    Even if they do get a forward base up in chasm, this doesn't mean they should be able to enter the hive. There is sufficient overhang at the entrance which should allow skulks to continuously fall down onto any marines entering. If that isn't enough, chasm is probably the easiest spore target on the whole map. The marines always clump around that central pillar and res node. One lerk in there flying low and sporing constantly and they will be busy for the majority of their time.

What little forward offensive ability marines gain by being in smelting, they lose through lack of access to the rest of the map. A true problem to compare against would be locker room on docking, where marines have easy and rapid access to 4 of the 5 hive rooms, while being able to completely cut off 4 res nodes.

• rook2pawnrook2pawn Join Date: 2008-07-03 Member: 64552Members
    edited March 2013
    This 100% identified by virtually every experienced player as being a total map flaw.

There is only one thing to do, rush chasm, build an armory, and its GG.

Aliens can take literally every res node on the map, and have hives going simultaneously at every available single hive location, and it wouldnt make ONE BIT OF DIFFERENCE.

I honestly thought this would have been fixed by now as the problem sprang up almost a month ago.
  • hakenspithakenspit Join Date: 2010-11-26 Member: 75300Members
    Agreed, the random spawn locations are great but they lead to some terrible games due to not all spawn points being equal.
    This was why docking had only 1 marine spawn for a long time and is not unique to these maps.

I think the fixed spawn locations of NS1 had some merit...now whilst I dont want to have only 1 spawn location I think we need to find a balance.

Games that are over/decided based simply on spawn locations is frustrating.
    The problem is, right now they are semi-random. Some locations are "alien only" and some are "marine only" I'd like to see it fully random (even if it breaks some story concepts) I think it would be interesting to see what tactics develop and which spawn locations favour extremely heavily one side or the other (eg Containment/Smelting>Marines)
  • DaveodethDaveodeth Join Date: 2012-11-21 Member: 172717Members
    I'm more annoyed at the invisible walls everywhere, the one's in conduit are downright gamebreaking for a skulk wanting to sneak around the entrance.
    edited March 2013
    Insane wrote: »
    It's being worked on as we speak.

@Insane: Thank you for the confirmation Insane, it's much appreciated!
    @Daveodeth: Please can you provide locations/screenshots to show where these are it'll aid whom/who ever are making changes in fixing them if you can show exactly where they are!
    Therius wrote: »
    You could make such a strawman of every map, saying that all marines have to do is walk to spot A and shoot the hive down without aliens being able to do anything.

Why isn't the alien team preventing them from walking to said spot? Sounds like you were simply outplayed.

Yes; you could make this argument for any map in your context. The issue with Chasm is it is a heavily favourable marine location, so if your teams are pretty even in other maps you will easily be able to control and hold Chasm and rapidly defeat an Alien team which was easily matched elsewhere. It's like a strength modifier for the Marine team, against a fairly regular Alien spawn - thus is in my opinion (and apparently the dev teams) overly powerful
  • SherlockSherlock Join Date: 2012-11-09 Member: 168595Members
    Here's a thought: Why can we not have moving RT points depending on where each team spawns? If it's a Containment/Flow Control start, then the Containment RT stays where it is. If it's a Containment/Smelting start, then the RT is in a slightly different position so it can't be constantly downed?
  • SherlockSherlock Join Date: 2012-11-09 Member: 168595Members
    edited March 2013
    The problem is, right now they are semi-random. Some locations are "alien only" and some are "marine only" I'd like to see it fully random (even if it breaks some story concepts) I think it would be interesting to see what tactics develop and which spawn locations favour extremely heavily one side or the other (eg Containment/Smelting>Marines)

I would love to see an Alien start in Control on Veil. ^_^

Sherlock wrote: »
    Here's a thought: Why can we not have moving RT points depending on where each team spawns? If it's a Containment/Flow Control start, then the Containment RT stays where it is. If it's a Containment/Smelting start, then the RT is in a slightly different position so it can't be constantly downed?

I think I see where you are going with this - but its complexity far outweighs any tangible benefits (you no longer have a static map per version!)
    Sherlock wrote: »

I would love to see an Alien start in Control on Veil. ^_^

Indeed, I think it would be very interesting to see Aliens on Control in Veil, I suspect it'd be VERY Marine biased due to Cyst chain mechanics especially because you cannot traverse The Dome properly with out going through C12 (LAAAMMMMEEE!)

But I'd still like to play it!
  • RoobubbaRoobubba Who you gonna call? Join Date: 2003-01-06 Member: 11930Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    LOL @Aliens in control on Veil.

That's giving aliens a massive nerf on an already heavily marine-biased map. Marines would lock down 3 tech points without much difficulty at all, and also make it extremely difficult for aliens to get nanogrid either. Without either tech points OR resources, there's a problem. Without both, there's no point in playing!
  • RobotixRobotix Join Date: 2013-02-20 Member: 183222Members
    Containment start is far better than Turbine start. Marines getting an Armory up in Chasm is an auto-loss.
  • john_wesleyjohn_wesley Join Date: 2013-02-28 Member: 183445Members
    Yeah, chasm does seem to be too powerful for matines, the only 2 approaches for aliens, from lava or containment are firing ranges for the marines atm.
    Yeah, chasm does seem to be too powerful for matines, the only 2 approaches for aliens, from lava or containment are firing ranges for the marines atm.

The only two times I've survived/won the strat is very quick 2nd hive drop to Pipe and Spores on a very good lerk player, or a 3 skulk rush to Turbine to bring down the phasegate before they run back to defend it, then a sync'ed push into Chasm from both sides. But this requires an above average level of team play for Aliens compared to the zerg chasm approach from Marines

• CrushaKCrushaK Join Date: 2012-11-05 Member: 167195Members, NS2 Playtester

It's more that some combinations of spawn locations are simply bad. Like Cave vs Repair on Mineshaft or Atrium vs Flight/Data on Summit. Close spawns in general are bad for the gameplay in some maps, I think.
    There should be a system in place so that aliens can't get a starting Hive in a specific location if marines already start in another specific location.

Crushak, right now I believe the system is "Aliens can spawn in X or Y or Z, Marines can spawn in A and B and Z"

This is why you never get Cross roads or Hydro starting points. Let us use a compass to make this simple.

You have 5 spawns, North, East, South, West, Central.

Any spawn which is adjacent will produce a pretty horrible game. You can easily define this in code that spawns cannot be adjacent while maintaining a good random element of rolling the dice to shake up the games/tactics. Right now I feel it is too linear. But I appreciate that the 'combination of spawns available' is probably play tested to provide what are usually "the most even games" (I hope?)
  • CrushaKCrushaK Join Date: 2012-11-05 Member: 167195Members, NS2 Playtester
    Some spawns also seem to be there just for variety's sake. Like Pipeline in Veil.
    It is such a bad starting position for a first Hive compared to other positions on that map because it takes a lot of cysts to even get close to other RT locations. If I was to play the final match of some grand cup and had the bad luck to start in Pipeline, it would really suck to be at such a disadvantage due to randomness. One of the few reasons it probably exist is so that there is still some randomness involved and marines don't instantly know "Aliens are not in Sub? Then they are in Cargo." and to provide at least one more nuance of different gameplay situations on that map.

But they should really help it a bit to make up for it's bad spot. Having a preset cyst chain that goes from the Hive up to the Dome when starting in Pipeline would be good for starters, so your first expansion is not so expensive and Nanogrid is a bit more in reach.
  • current1ycurrent1y Join Date: 2003-12-08 Member: 24150Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
    @Eviscerator : Yeah smelting is rather strong starting location for marines but its def winnable by the alien side. Was in a few imbalanced 8 min games back to back to back last night on refinery using the strat you suggested, you weren't in it were you? I think those games were more so a skill imbalance and poor alien tactics. 2 marines shouldn't be able to lock down that side of the map even with mines. Aliens who fail to recognize the threat of marines in chasm deserve to loose.
    CrushaK wrote: »
    Having a preset cyst chain that goes from the Hive up to the Dome when starting in Pipeline would be good for starters, so your first expansion is not so expensive and Nanogrid is a bit more in reach.

Somewhat similar to marines already having power nodes on in Repair & Waterpumps... except it would allow instant placement of a Harvester for Aliens which is somewhat OP
  • RobotixRobotix Join Date: 2013-02-20 Member: 183222Members
    CrushaK wrote: »
    Having a preset cyst chain that goes from the Hive up to the Dome when starting in Pipeline would be good for starters, so your first expansion is not so expensive and Nanogrid is a bit more in reach.

Somewhat similar to marines already having power nodes on in Repair & Waterpumps... except it would allow instant placement of a Harvester for Aliens which is somewhat OP

I have no opinion either way, but there is no resource spot in or around Dome so that is rather irrelevant.
  • mushookeesmushookees Join Date: 2008-03-26 Member: 63967Members
    most retarded spawn locations ever
  • SquishpokePOOPFACESquishpokePOOPFACE -21,248 posts (ignore below) Join Date: 2012-10-31 Member: 165262Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    You guys are never happy with Refinery, sheesh. I happen to like it, with the recent changes.
  • XaoXao Join Date: 2012-12-12 Member: 174840Members
    edited March 2013
    It's just one hive that's a mess, contain being able to be shot outside of draw distance funneling aliens into a wall of bullets or mines, the res node is completely open and can be shot across the room. Making that vent in chasm come out over the back of containment would do wonders, as would putting the 2-3 boxes contain has in them now that look really stupid since the change that were needed to stop marines from being able to shoot out res nodes from doorways with ease, no need to totally block all LoS but at least make it somewhat difficult.

It suffers from the first thing comp players will do to any map, find and abuse any location that will allow them too, people did this to monorail/plaza RT in descent shooting them from off the screen/draw distance and it was patched almost instantly, check out the random piece of see through glass sitting next to the bottom of the escalator in plaza.

Fun fact with veil right now: If you want to arc double res from west junc, in the hallway leading to west junc the outside of the map is completely black, put arcs up against wall and tell them to move into the vent behind nano, at least 1 if not 2-3 will drive into the black void where they can't be hit and marine comm is safe to arc down nano 24/7.

edit: same people who abuse known 'invincible alien buildings' bug which is still in the game for fuck knows why.
  • briatxbriatx Join Date: 2013-01-18 Member: 180352Members
    Xao wrote: »
    edit: same people who abuse known 'invincible alien buildings' bug which is still in the game for fuck knows why.

Oh, so I'm not crazy and those spurs I unloaded 5 mags into should have died. I've been wondering about that...