Gorge Plushie Template (I Need Your Help Devs)

OhnojojoOhnojojo Join Date: 2011-08-01 Member: 113400Members
edited March 2013 in NS2 General Discussion
http://cloud-2.steampowered.com/ugc/900989960304606362/93B597F674CE253B3C1A4CBCF41421096FD5DE19/

The gorge plushie has already been textured, modeled and 3d rendered on the map NS2_Descent they can be found in the room "Plaza" in a vending machine and there are some on the floor.

Can somebody find the texture for the gorge plushie? I want to print this out and use it as a template to create my own gorge plushie, since we're probably not going to get gorge plushies in the near future.

If a developer could throw up some texture assests, that would be amazing too!

I'm looking for something like this:
http://www.visionvortex.de/images/content/3d/geddon/texture/geddon_color_web.jpg

This could also be used to create a "papercraft" template as well, for those who work better with paper than fabric.

Comments

• MestaritonttuMestaritonttu Join Date: 2004-07-29 Member: 30229Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold
    I don't know man. I don't think a gorge plushie with a skin like that would be too popular. I mean, does it have to have human hands and teeth? That's kinda creepy.
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    I'd wait just a little bit more before going through that effort ;)
  • DC_DarklingDC_Darkling Join Date: 2003-07-10 Member: 18068Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver
    IronHorse wrote: »

Lets all jank this out of context now and scream 'Ironhorse promised us gorge plushies but I already waited a hour' :p

serious though.. I hope that means what I think it means. ;)
  • littleevilwolflittleevilwolf Join Date: 2013-01-17 Member: 180231Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    D:< I WANT ALL THE PLUSHIES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • OhnojojoOhnojojo Join Date: 2011-08-01 Member: 113400Members
    IronHorse wrote: »

Lets all jank this out of context now and scream 'Ironhorse promised us gorge plushies but I already waited a hour' :p

serious though.. I hope that means what I think it means. ;)

LOL that was exactly what I was thinking. But seriously, can anybody find the texture assets for the gorge plushie?
    Once I find that, I could probably make my own plushie gorge in a couple days and post the results on this thread. I would of course include an instructional guide to making your own gorge plushies.
    Obviously, these plushies wouldn't be for resale.

And I feel like the developers could create a gorge papercraft template in like a single afternoon as like a little side project.
  • CicoCico Join Date: 2005-01-07 Member: 33169Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    store link on top of the page, now it's not working, but heh, you could have seen things.. :)
  • GadxGadx Join Date: 2003-03-22 Member: 14788Members, Constellation, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow
  • CyberKunCyberKun Join Date: 2013-02-02 Member: 182733Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    I just hope the official Gorge plushy is just the model in game.

Not only would it be amazing, it would be easy to make.
  • MestaritonttuMestaritonttu Join Date: 2004-07-29 Member: 30229Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold
    I dunno, I would prefer a stylized one. It pretty much has to be, since the real model has so many sharp angles and so much detail you prolly can't convert it into a plushy too easy.
  • RoobubbaRoobubba Who you gonna call? Join Date: 2003-01-06 Member: 11930Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    I wouldn't have considered buying a gorge plushie...

until I became a dad. My little man would LOVE one of these! (Well, he will do when he's old enough, he's only 10 months at present...!)

Needs to be washable. :)
  • CarNagE1CarNagE1 Poland Join Date: 2003-05-14 Member: 16298Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter, Subnautica Playtester
    Thats why MAN have babys to buy toys for them self and it would not look oddly :) i need a gorge plushy for my daughter! :D
  • CrazyEddieCrazyEddie Join Date: 2013-01-08 Member: 178196Members
    UWE has said they're working on Gorge plushies. Well, outsourcing it to WasabiOne and Rantology, anyway. WasabiOne has said that they won't look like the ones in Descent.

I think that's a shame. I want ones that look EXACTLY like the ones in Descent because I think those look AWESOME, so if you manage to make one I'd love to see how you did it. :)
  • soccerguy243soccerguy243 Join Date: 2012-12-22 Member: 175920Members, WC 2013 - Supporter
  • mibuwolfmibuwolf Join Date: 2012-12-11 Member: 174760Members
    I like the descent gorgy best.

although, just to add ideas:

I wouldnt mind seeing a gorge bath toy/ stress reliever that basically looks like the gorge spray/healing when squeezed. Or maybe a gorge bar of soap that will slide across the tub. I'd feel like a kid again. WOO!
  • amoralamoral Join Date: 2013-01-03 Member: 177250Members
    gorgie doggie chew toy, that bleats/oinks/squeals when you squish it.

• XariusXarius Join Date: 2003-12-21 Member: 24630Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    Hope they make sure it can belly slide at least, wouldn't want its legs to be fixed. /inb4bellyslidingplushiememe
  • GorgenapperGorgenapper Join Date: 2012-09-05 Member: 157916Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    mibuwolf wrote: »
    I like the descent gorgy best.

although, just to add ideas:

I wouldnt mind seeing a gorge bath toy/ stress reliever that basically looks like the gorge spray/healing when squeezed. Or maybe a gorge bar of soap that will slide across the tub. I'd feel like a kid again. WOO!

Prior suggestions:

- Gorge bedroom slippers - belly slide as you shuffle to the kitchen
    - Gorge toy with pull-back action and wheels on its belleh - bellyslide across the floor
    - Gorge RC car - belly slide in any direction! Shoot a bile bomb from its mouth! Includes free power node toy to attach to a wall, bile bomb rush IRL with your friends
    - Velcro babblers to attach to your gorge plushie
    - Gorge kitchen sponge - bellyslide as you wash your dishes
    - Gorge kid's backpack
    - Gorge toque/hat (so you can feel like you're in the RR IRL)
    - Gorge curling stone - belly slide across the ice
    - Gorge clothes iron - belly slide on your dress shirt
    - Gorge toothpaste tube - vomit out toothpaste like healspray/bile

........ it's disturbing how many ways the love hippo/piggie can be applied to items in real life....
  • ObraxisObraxis Subnautica Animator & Generalist, NS2 Person Join Date: 2004-07-24 Member: 30071Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Silver, WC 2013 - Supporter, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts
    The real plushies will look significantly better than the ones in Descent.
    I wouldn't mind "just like in Descent, but better".

But I suspect it'll be "different from Descent, but better", which is not as good.
  • RoobubbaRoobubba Who you gonna call? Join Date: 2003-01-06 Member: 11930Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    We are talking about the Descent Secret Room gorges right?
    @ohnojojo - Could you get what you were looking for by using the Spark Editor to open up Descent?
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    @crazyeddie : its even easier than that... took me a whole 60 seconds of looking

@ohnojojo Ns2 is the most moddable game ever, don't you forget that! :-P

Steam\SteamApps\common\Natural Selection 2\ns2\models\props\descent\descent_arcade_gorgetoy_01.dds

I Use XnView to open dds files.
    Now where's my awesomes? :-D
  • ArgoshArgosh Join Date: 2011-01-21 Member: 78474Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    There's your awesome. Now where's my plushie?

:)
  • SquishpokePOOPFACESquishpokePOOPFACE -21,248 posts (ignore below) Join Date: 2012-10-31 Member: 165262Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    All you people with kids are making me feel like I should go grab one off the street and call it my own. Time to fire up the Free Candy Van!
    Squishpoke wrote: »
    All you people with kids are making me feel like I should go grab one off the street and call it my own. Time to fire up the Free Candy Van!

Don't. There's this temptation to think that you're somehow missing something without children. You aren't!
    You think I want these for my kids?
  • DizzyOneDizzyOne BASS&#33; Join Date: 2002-11-17 Member: 9095Members
    edited March 2013
    I'm gonna go on some random dribble here.

I've been trying to design my own plushies for a while. Basically I've been experimenting with a workflow to get from a 3D model to a sewing pattern to sewing an actual plushy.

The best way to make a plushie out of this is to get the 3D asset, then import it into any modelling software, taking the unwrapped UV map (texture map), and throwing it through an organic UV unwrapping tool. Either by hand(nearly impossible) or using a feature or UV mapping software that minimizes unnatural proportions that will not translate very well for fabric. Organic is the keyword here.

This definitely requires some experience or a basic walkthrough to get right, but once you've got a good organic unwrap, with some sensible seams that correlate to how you would actually sew the plushy, you can basically use the UV map as a sewing pattern.

Print the sewing pattern, and create the plushy out of this.

If I had some free time I would love to experiment with the gorge plushy, but I doubt I ever will. But if anyone else was wondering how to do this, you can always contact me for more details.
  • SquishpokePOOPFACESquishpokePOOPFACE -21,248 posts (ignore below) Join Date: 2012-10-31 Member: 165262Members, Reinforced - Shadow
  • MMZ_TorakMMZ_Torak Join Date: 2002-11-02 Member: 3770Members
    Squishpoke wrote: »

ProTip: You trade kids for sleep, think it over!