Battlenet for NS2?

OhnojojoOhnojojo Join Date: 2011-08-01 Member: 113400Members
What do people think of having a battlenet-like system for NS2?
Just add some chatrooms that can be managed privately and publicly.
I think this will allow games to be organzied easier.
Add the "NS2 gather"-like matching-making system.

And for the future, UWE could make this system compatible with other games they release.

Comments

• ThorondorThorondor Join Date: 2004-07-06 Member: 29745Members
    Something like... Steam?
  • OhnojojoOhnojojo Join Date: 2011-08-01 Member: 113400Members
    Yeah, something like steam but part of NS2.
    I mean UWE is a relatively new company.
    Would be cool to take a page from starcraft broodwar's channel chat system and adapt it integrate steam, maybe like dota2 does with steam.
  • ScardyBobScardyBob ScardyBob Join Date: 2009-11-25 Member: 69528Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    Thorondor wrote: »
    Something like... Steam?
    I think hes talking more about an in-game IRC chat system. Its certainly something that would be useful for organizing gathers/scrims, but I'm not sure its worthwhile for pub play.
    ScardyBob wrote: »
    Thorondor wrote: »
    Something like... Steam?
    I think hes talking more about an in-game IRC chat system. Its certainly something that would be useful for organizing gathers/scrims, but I'm not sure its worthwhile for pub play.

Thats precisely what I was thinking about. And no, it wouldn't be all too useful for pub play. But at least it gives the player options. I'm thinking like...
    Open NS2
    Main Menu:
    Play Game
    Explore mode
    Mods
    Options
    "Spark It"
    Open Spark It
    Opens up IRC-like channel dubbed "NS2 East Coast" or "NS2 West Coast" and etc.
    There are also sub-channels for cities or clans or servers, all of which you can search/filter through.
    You can join these channels and talk to friends or strangers and arrange teams, designate commanders, talk strategy and etc, prior to entering an actual game server.
    You can also create channels easily and they will auto-delete if nobody is in them.

"Spark It" is jsut a name suggestion, could be anything. Something more intuitive.
  • bizbiz Join Date: 2012-11-05 Member: 167386Members
    battlenet like lobbies where people join and the game starts when there are enough players. no late joining. no leaving mid-match.

that would be worthwhile

i.e. RTS matchmaking for a RTS game
  • Racer1Racer1 Join Date: 2002-11-22 Member: 9615Members
    I wonder how many players the spark engine could support in a purely "readyroom" style map. It would be interesting to see an "NS2 East Cost" Ready-Room, etc. Players could walk into sub-readyrooms looking for other players. You could text chat with everyone in that area (and only voice chat with people in the same sub-readyroom).

Rooms would be named or numbered. Once enough people got in, they would have the option to vote to play, allowing them to choose servers, mods (if desired), and teams. Once the vote succeeded, everyone would auto-join that server/team.
    All of these are great ideas! Keep them coming. Hopefully the developers might draws from some of our ideas for a future project.
  • GameOverGameOver Germany Join Date: 2003-10-15 Member: 21700Members, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow
    I'd rather like a dota like system ;)
    So far, ideally, it seems that people want:
    a dota-like system
    or a battlenet-like system
    or an extension of the ready-room

that allows you to:
    match-make with a set number of players who cannot leave during the game.
    or chat and create channels
    or create chat rooms specific to cities, clans, local areas, groups of friends and etc.

I do think that the current system of a server browser should be included.
  • NarfwakNarfwak Join Date: 2002-11-02 Member: 5258Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Playtest Lead, Forum Moderators, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica PT Lead, NS2 Community Developer
    I believe steam groups have chat functionality already...? I mean, no one uses it, but it's there.

A system like this is pretty much beyond the scope of a company like UWE, honestly. The infrastructure that's already in place with Steam is more than adequate. Matchmaking, on the other hand, is probably doable, but would be a pretty big undertaking with some serious design hurdles in addition to the technical challenges.
    Narfwak wrote: »
    I believe steam groups have chat functionality already...? I mean, no one uses it, but it's there.

A system like this is pretty much beyond the scope of a company like UWE, honestly. The infrastructure that's already in place with Steam is more than adequate. Matchmaking, on the other hand, is probably doable, but would be a pretty big undertaking with some serious design hurdles in addition to the technical challenges.

Oh I know, but maybe in the future Flayre will look at this thread and be like... oh shit. they got some good ideas and now that our staff and company has grown, we can realistically pursue this idea!
    Something like that...
  • ChalarieChalarie Join Date: 2012-05-03 Member: 151459Members
    I would enjoy a simple matchmaking system similar to what we see in DOTA and the likes. It would focus players into whole games rather than having to join a server and wait for people to (Hopefully) join. Would be great for PUG's and pubs. It would be really cool to see it built upon the already existing Ready Room functionality, that would turn out really unique and fun.
  • SquishpokePOOPFACESquishpokePOOPFACE -21,248 posts (ignore below) Join Date: 2012-10-31 Member: 165262Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    I want none of these things, since developing such a system would be redundant (Steam) and would remove dev focus towards more important things.

Perhaps it would work better as a player-made mod.
    Squishpoke wrote: »
    I want none of these things, since developing such a system would be redundant (Steam) and would remove dev focus towards more important things.

Perhaps it would work better as a player-made mod.

I'm not against a player-made mod either! =)
  • IronsoulIronsoul Join Date: 2011-03-12 Member: 86048Members
    We already have steam, the fact hardly anyone uses steam for chat and group organisation isn't because it's bad, it's because people are strange and don't use useful, functional, well set out tools that are right in front of them and instead ask for something almost identical to be put together. Redundancy... ugh.

I disagree with this idea because we already have steam.
  • Ghosthree3Ghosthree3 Join Date: 2010-02-13 Member: 70557Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    People just have to use steam groups more effectively.
    Getting a Battlenet style system into NS2 is one of my personal projects at the moment. Team management, tournament organisation, league management, matchmaking, in-game streaming, stat tracking, the works. It's going to be tough. But the more people I meet (especially in the wider industry) the more it becomes apparent that while many people like to use out-of-game matchmaking (e.g. forums, ensl.org), and many people prefer stock server browsers (which will always be available in NS2) the world has moved on. Now, in-game systems are expected. We have to deliver on that expectation to sustain NS2 in the long term.

Sweet! Glad to know that UWE is on the job! =)
    Now if only a dev would get back to me on my other thread about getting the gorgie plushie texture asset from Descent
  • Ghosthree3Ghosthree3 Join Date: 2010-02-13 Member: 70557Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    Can't say I thought of it that way, that it's expected. Sort of sad but, if that's what's needed to survive...
  • Jman117Jman117 Join Date: 2012-08-03 Member: 154698Members
    Getting a Battlenet style system into NS2 is one of my personal projects at the moment. Team management, tournament organisation, league management, matchmaking, in-game streaming, stat tracking, the works. It's going to be tough. But the more people I meet (especially in the wider industry) the more it becomes apparent that while many people like to use out-of-game matchmaking (e.g. forums, ensl.org), and many people prefer stock server browsers (which will always be available in NS2) the world has moved on. Now, in-game systems are expected. We have to deliver on that expectation to sustain NS2 in the long term.

If you can get matchmaking into NS2, It would make the game so much better (in my opinion, of course) :D I wish you the best of luck ^.^
  • LocklearLocklear [nexzil]kerrigan Join Date: 2012-05-01 Member: 151403Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, WC 2013 - Shadow

This post makes me happy. Yay.
  • CrazyEddieCrazyEddie Join Date: 2013-01-08 Member: 178196Members
    I keep clicking the awesome button but it only adds one heart.
  • Madd0gMadd0g Join Date: 2012-12-24 Member: 176116Members
    edited March 2013
    Ohnojojo wrote: »
    What do people think of having a battlenet-like system for NS2?
    Just add some chatrooms that can be managed privately and publicly.
    I think this will allow games to be organzied easier.
    Add the "NS2 gather"-like matching-making system.

And for the future, UWE could make this system compatible with other games they release.
    YES YES YES YES YES YES!
    Chatrooms,parties and CS GO like quick match system for competitive would be amazing!
    I know we have NS2 gathers,but a more ingame integrated system,which for example automaticly joins you in the gather server when a match is found,even if you are already playing on another server,that would be awsome.

PS:
    Strayan is there any way that we,the community,can help you guys in any way to speed up the proccess?
  • EvisceratorEviscerator Join Date: 2003-02-24 Member: 13946Members, Constellation
    Something I'd like to see are gather lobbies that could be used to populate an otherwise empty server. Every time I go to play NS2, I look for servers with only a few slots open that also have a decent ping. Only if I can't find a server that meets those criteria do I bother to try and seed an empty server. I suspect most people feel the same way. This means that there are servers that are constantly full, and a bunch of servers that are constantly empty.

Imagine that there was some kind of mechanism where people could join a pug lobby, with chat and everything, by clicking on "PUG Lobby" button or something from the main menu. This would connect you to some dedicated server that would keep detailed information about your pings to the entire server list (as well as everyone else's). You click on a "ready" icon to indicate your willingness to start a game. If there are at least 9 other players like you within the ping limit to some empty server, the entire lot of you up to the amount required to fill the server gets whisked off to instantly populate that server.

If people want to group up and try to stay together with friends, they can form groups that would only be sent to servers as a unit. Each person has the ability to create a group, just one, and they invite people to the group. Just like the party system in SC2. Those invitees then have the ability to accept and join the group, or just ignore it.

Now imagine that instead of launching a GUI type chat window for doing all of this, you got whisked into a giant ready room, FPS style, when clicking the PUG Lobby button. Players could see each other just like the normal ready room mechanic, run around, jump up and down, etc. Except this ready room is always the same, it's huge, and it's awesome. Maybe there's a bar, and some video games, and a dance floor like in ns_descent. And there's no limit to the number of people that can join it at any one time. Obviously weapons and entities and everything else are removed from this mode, to make the netcode as simple as possible. Voice chat would be restricted to individual groups only, to prevent troll spam. Everything else would work the same as mentioned above.

How awesome would that be? Hmm, I wonder whether it would be possible to do this entirely outside of waiting for UWE to implement it? Could a server owner radically modify the server-side Lua code to make this feasible? Like create a server with more than 100 slots? And is it possible to automatically send a player to another server? I suspect probably not. And there'd have to be some way to obtain a full list of servers. Well, something to think about at least.
  • HughHugh Cameraman San Francisco, CA Join Date: 2010-04-18 Member: 71444NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Onos, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts
    Madd0g wrote: »
    PS:
    Strayan is there any way that we,the community,can help you guys in any way to speed up the proccess?

Yup, comment on this post: http://unknownworlds.com/ns2/organised-play-systems/