Suggestion: New Marine Weapon

Redstar_SweRedstar_Swe Join Date: 2013-03-18 Member: 184061Members
edited March 2013 in Ideas and Suggestions
I just recently bought NS2 and I really like it so far, the only thing at the moment that I feel needs an improvement are the marines weapons. The Aliens have quite alot of options concerning gamestyle while marines generally comes down to "get a gun, fire away", and that is why I'd like to suggest a new weapon/feature/mechanic: The ability to incapacitate the enemy by tazer or perhaps even a net. Of course Onos should be immune to this, while the smallest of them would be very susceptible.

If you then could be able to drag the victim back to your base and use it in the researching of armor/weapons, that would be just cool:)

This could also work for the Alien side, a venom or sticky goo could be used for the same purpose.

Comments

• |strofix||strofix| Join Date: 2012-11-01 Member: 165453Members
    The devs have indicated their distaste for abilities which prevent a player from playing the game for a prolonged period of time.
  • AngeluszAngelusz Harmonic entropist Join Date: 2003-07-10 Member: 18072Members, Forum Moderators, Constellation, NS2 Playtester
  • StartedBulletStartedBullet Join Date: 2013-03-22 Member: 184217Members
    Could be it "kills" a player and as a reward returns double P-res from the kill?
  • jorgamunjorgamun Join Date: 2013-03-05 Member: 183703Members
    Could be it "kills" a player and as a reward returns double P-res from the kill?

There are no rewards for kills as it currently is.
  • IronsoulIronsoul Join Date: 2011-03-12 Member: 86048Members
  • xen32xen32 Join Date: 2012-10-18 Member: 162676Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    |strofix| wrote: »
    The devs have indicated their distaste for abilities which prevent a player from playing the game for a prolonged period of time.
    You will respawn when your teammates die.
  • hankyhanky Join Date: 2011-08-28 Member: 118944Members
    While I'm not really in fav of your suggested guns (don't hate the idea of a net), I do feel a lack of weapon's as playing marines. Really wish there were more weapons. I would personally just love if they added back the old SMG style weapon. Make it either free or cost like 5 res. Make it hold 100 rounds, have a "spray" radios, and not do as much damage as the rifle. Either way, this is one of my complaints aswell...not enough weapons.
  • NarfwakNarfwak Join Date: 2002-11-02 Member: 5258Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Playtest Lead, Forum Moderators, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica PT Lead, NS2 Community Developer
    There actually was a tazer in the super early versions of the game but it was removed before the alpha was even playable because players hated it so much. There were more crowd control abilities in NS1 and they were widely seen as not fun and bad. I doubt very much we'll see anything more restrictive than what we already have with stomp and vortex.
  • ManwichManwich Join Date: 2013-02-01 Member: 182715Members
    I don't see why there needs to be any more guns, it's not like other multiplayer fps's where you are constantly unlocking slight variants to what you've already got.
    The game is balanced (and being balanced) around the weapons and upgrades to the weapons already present, and I feel the choice is fine as it is.
  • KamamuraKamamura Join Date: 2013-03-06 Member: 183736Members, Reinforced - Gold
    Well, I would not mind seeing flamer or grenade launcher being a little more useful. Grenade launcher specifically is a horrible primary weapon for a game featuring fast, close-quarters battles.
  • AkimotoAkimoto Norway Join Date: 2013-03-03 Member: 183642Members
    Flamethrower and grenade launcher are specialized weapons. Flamethrower is awesome against skulks and cyst.
    Grenade launchers are excellent against alien buildings and, even skulks when you aren't in the front line yourself.
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited March 2013
    Also the biggest misconception I always see new player make, is reflected in your post as well with:

'while marines generally comes down to "get a gun, fire away"'

In fact, the marines weapons work quite similar to how the alien classes work. Basically the marine weapons puts those players in a class type role.
  • sHawke_NativesHawke_Native Join Date: 2012-12-20 Member: 175650Members
    Kamamura wrote: »
    Well, I would not mind seeing flamer or grenade launcher being a little more useful. Grenade launcher specifically is a horrible primary weapon for a game featuring fast, close-quarters battles.
    flamers are for cysts ad taking weakening aliens buildings it really effective against armor also flamers stop energy recovery, GL's are also for alien buildings but they will destroy crags almost immedtally so a crag wall is usless against GL's