"Johny was here!" on every door.

Faint scent of booze
and something more
silence throughout the corridors
distant, sad harmonica tunes.

Gone are the newbs -
- along with potential revenues.

Comments

• Blarney_StoneBlarney_Stone Join Date: 2013-03-08 Member: 183808Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    In a strange kind of way, I'll actually miss them. It was cool being the best player on the server for a change. On the other hand, it will be a relief to go back to games when the winning team knows how to finish the losing team off, or at the very least the losing team knows how to concede.
  • CalegoCalego Join Date: 2013-01-24 Member: 181848Members, NS2 Map Tester
    Don't you worry, they're still out there. Disguised and with four hours under their belts, making us think at a glance that they're veterans.
  • SleekSleek Join Date: 2013-02-01 Member: 182709Members
    Calego wrote: »
    Don't you worry, they're still out there. Disguised and with four hours under their belts, making us think at a glance that they're veterans.
    Thats the problem...
    imo rookie status should be something like 10 hours or a bit more.
  • RippsyRippsy Join Date: 2013-01-16 Member: 179921Members
    Sleek wrote: »
    Thats the problem...

This is going to be hilarious :D
  • jorgamunjorgamun Join Date: 2013-03-05 Member: 183703Members
    Thats the problem...

I think after ten hours or so, you should have the option to keep the rookie status up to like 40 hours.
  • the9thdudethe9thdude Join Date: 2007-08-02 Member: 61753Members
    edited March 2013

Crap, I've been around since Alpha and I'm still a newb... they're catching on....
  • RoobubbaRoobubba Who you gonna call? Join Date: 2003-01-06 Member: 11930Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    jorgamun wrote: »
    Thats the problem...

I think after ten hours or so, you should have the option to keep the rookie status up to like 40 hours.

I think after 40 hours and 40 'agrees' on the UWE forums, your name should be put into a petition for 'this month's greens who shall be promoted to white,' whereupon players with >300h played will vote to accept or decline election to 'whitehood' (yikes, that word could cause problems out of this context...). Only 2 players per month can be promoted from green.
    White smoke emitted from the UWE forums will signify the end of the secret ballot for that month. In the event of green smoke, no green players received sufficient support to be promoted to white.

But yeah in all seriousness, green names should go on for more like 20h, with the option to turn off only after 10h gameplay, and only then when you have used every piece of tech and every lifeform at least once :)
  • ChizzlerChizzler Join Date: 2013-01-04 Member: 177532Members
    edited March 2013
    Roobubba wrote: »
    But yeah in all seriousness, green names should go on for more like 20h, with the option to turn off only after 10h gameplay, and only then when you have used every piece of tech and every lifeform at least once :)

I'm at 350+ hours, and I've still never built a sentry...Am I a rookie? :P

Edit: Just realized, I've never used regeneration either
  • RoobubbaRoobubba Who you gonna call? Join Date: 2003-01-06 Member: 11930Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    Chizzler wrote: »

With some notable exceptions :P
  • CrushaKCrushaK Join Date: 2012-11-05 Member: 167195Members, NS2 Playtester

You have no idea what you are missing based on some random prejudices.
  • amoralamoral Join Date: 2013-01-03 Member: 177250Members
    sentries are hella annoying when used appropriately. and regen has its place, but primarily against marines that can't shoot.
  • NarfwakNarfwak Join Date: 2002-11-02 Member: 5258Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Playtest Lead, Forum Moderators, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica PT Lead, NS2 Community Developer
    edited March 2013
    Thats the problem...

Not sure if trolling... but you can re-enable rookie mode manually already. Hugh plays as a rookie all the time in public games. Apparently not true. Sorry. :-SS
  • meatmachinemeatmachine South England Join Date: 2013-01-06 Member: 177858Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter

Whut... Use regen! Learn to use regen, it will make you a better overall player imo, knowing how to hit-and-run is a valuable asset, especially when you apply that strat with a carafade or something ;)
  • Madd0gMadd0g Join Date: 2012-12-24 Member: 176116Members
    edited March 2013
    Kamamura wrote: »
    Rows of robotic factories,
    packed sentries without batteries,
    This was pure win :D

• sumo0sumo0 Join Date: 2012-10-30 Member: 164543Members
    edited March 2013
    It was good for 2 things apart from the selling of games thing.

1. I felt like i was invincible nomatter what server i joined (which im not).

2. I now know how the alpha/beta testers must have felt on release day.

• KamamuraKamamura Join Date: 2013-03-06 Member: 183736Members, Reinforced - Gold
    sumo0 wrote: »
    It was good for 2 things apart from the selling of games thing.
    1. I felt like i was invincible nomatter what server i joined (which im not).

2. I now know how the alpha/beta testers must have felt on release day.

Yes, it was good for many things. Incidentally, I was just watching some advanced skulk/lerk/fade videos from Thyrsis, I think (excellent stuff, btw), because if there is something that is absolutely hardest to learn in this game, it's using fade and lerk. Onos is rather straightforward, but you save half an hour for fade and boom, you are dead to a single shotgun blast, or so it seems.

Anyway, I saw those videos, and had a feeling that I finally 'get it', so I logged in, and it really worked!!! Wheeee - up, down, up, down as lerk, biting marines left and right, shadowstep-jump-jump, blinking as fade, leaving a trail of corpses behind! Damn, I thought, what a fantastic videos, suddenly, I am nigh invincible! And then the weekend was gone, I logged in Sunday night, server full of regular players, saved for a Fade - boom, died to a shotgun blast again.

Well, it was good while it lasted ;-)

• SquishpokePOOPFACESquishpokePOOPFACE -21,248 posts (ignore below) Join Date: 2012-10-31 Member: 165262Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Narfwak wrote: »
    Thats the problem...

Not sure if trolling... but you can re-enable rookie mode manually already. Hugh plays as a rookie all the time in public games.

Re-enabling rookie mode is borked, it turns back off mere seconds later.
  • ScardyBobScardyBob ScardyBob Join Date: 2009-11-25 Member: 69528Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    Squishpoke wrote: »
    Re-enabling rookie mode is borked, it turns back off mere seconds later.
    That's by design. Anyone whose over 4 hour and tries to reenable rookie mode has it turned back off automatically.
  • NinjaiNinjai Join Date: 2012-11-12 Member: 170080Members
    Could someone tell me why almost every rookie I've seen attempt to command goes for robotics facility at the beginning and a arms lab? Is it part of the tutorials or something? When I started playing I just picked up what the regular commanders were building and used that as starting point. Unless it's a small game I can understand but early games you're just screwing the team over imo.
  • KamamuraKamamura Join Date: 2013-03-06 Member: 183736Members, Reinforced - Gold
    Ninjai wrote: »
    Could someone tell me why almost every rookie I've seen attempt to command goes for robotics facility at the beginning and a arms lab? Is it part of the tutorials or something? When I started playing I just picked up what the regular commanders were building and used that as starting point. Unless it's a small game I can understand but early games you're just screwing the team over imo.

It's been discussed. It's an instinct from RTS games, lab = research = long term investment = good.

Arms lab early IS good, but not with a robo there too!
  • Blarney_StoneBlarney_Stone Join Date: 2013-03-08 Member: 183808Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Arms lab early IS good, but not with a robo there too!

Arms lab shouldn't be built before obs/pg's though
  • Ghosthree3Ghosthree3 Join Date: 2010-02-13 Member: 70557Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    I prefer arms to obs tbh.
  • amoralamoral Join Date: 2013-01-03 Member: 177250Members
    edited March 2013
    Thats the problem...

Not sure if trolling... but you can re-enable rookie mode manually already. Hugh plays as a rookie all the time in public games.

my rookie status auto.disables after like 5 minutes in game. I like the green, any way to bind it in console or.make it permanent?
  • SquishpokePOOPFACESquishpokePOOPFACE -21,248 posts (ignore below) Join Date: 2012-10-31 Member: 165262Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited March 2013
    amoral wrote: »
    Thats the problem...

my rookie status auto.disables after like 5 minutes in game. I like the green, any way to bind it in console or.make it permanent?

Well, there is a super secret way to reset the rookie timer by clearing your Steam cloud.
  • NarfwakNarfwak Join Date: 2002-11-02 Member: 5258Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Playtest Lead, Forum Moderators, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica PT Lead, NS2 Community Developer
    edited my post, I had no idea it was changed. oops.