Rankings, profiles and server filtering!

DrPhilDrPhil Join Date: 2013-03-24 Member: 184346Members
I have been playing NS2 for a while, it is fun and all that of course. But sometimes it can fell a bit hmm... unrewarding? I would like to be able to rank up, like you do in bf3 and many other games.
These battle tags are achieved by just playing the game, xxx time spent as a gorge could give you one badge/title, xxx shotgun kills gives another. So when you are playing with strangers, its easier to find out what kind of player they are and their previous experience.
It feels more fun and can later be used for filtering servers, example below.

There should be a record of my playtime, my time in the commanding chair, favorite weapon/life form etc etc. This could later be viewed in my profile.

The problem I have when I want to play NS2 right now, is to find a server with decent players. There is no shame being new to the game, that is not my point. I simply want to make it easier to find the same skilled people like yourself. And with a profile like that, you can set the requirements on a server, lets say 0-12h, 12-48h, 48-92h, 92-200, 200+ hours of in game time. That way people can play with/vs equally (somewhat) experienced and skilled players.

0-12h = Private
12-48h = Corporal
48-92h = Captain
92-200 = Major
200+ = General
(These numbers are just examples, along with the names.)

So when you are looking for a server, the servers with the same amount of in game hours as yourself would appear in green(or any color) the servers with higher is red, and the ones below are grey. Or just a symbol that tells you what you need to know about the server :P I think you get my point.

Also if people are looking to start a clan and are looking for perhaps one type of player, this can easily be filtered out among all the profiles.
The profiles are not essential, just useful. The main issue of my thread is how to find equally skilled players as yourself.

So don´t be shy! Give me your honest opinion! :)

Comments

• DC_DarklingDC_Darkling Join Date: 2003-07-10 Member: 18068Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver
    Hours played is no indication of skill.

I saw fresh less then 3 hour newbs play better then many so called pug pro.
  • ritualsacrificeritualsacrifice Join Date: 2012-11-14 Member: 171148Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Pepper your angus. For some reason people are violently opposed to this idea here. Achievements and leveling is/are bad because CoD had them or something.
  • DrPhilDrPhil Join Date: 2013-03-24 Member: 184346Members
    Hours played is no indication of skill.

I saw fresh less then 3 hour newbs play better then many so called pug pro.

Not necessarily, but in general I think it has a huge impact some people get into the game faster then others. Can't do much about that. So do you think a system like this would make your game experience worse? Don't you have problem finding a balanced server?
  • ScardyBobScardyBob ScardyBob Join Date: 2009-11-25 Member: 69528Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    I'm not opposed to such a system, but I fear it can revert to a massive grindfest or turn into the dreaded "TF2 Haaaaaaaatss" situation.
  • NeokenNeoken Bruges, Belgium Join Date: 2004-03-20 Member: 27447Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Playtester
    Community isn't big enough to divide servers it into several brackets of skill levels imo. The only benefit I see in adding rankings, is that it can used by a randomize system to field somewhat balanced teams.
  • MestaritonttuMestaritonttu Join Date: 2004-07-29 Member: 30229Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold
    I don't see it. Aim is still pretty much the most important thing, and it won't be relayed by hours spent on one game.

It would be fun to see xp in hours. Maybe with some ridiculous scale. Like a three star scale, ★ 1000hrs ★★ 2000hrs ★★★ 3000hrs. Heh.
  • frantixfrantix Join Date: 2013-03-18 Member: 184063Members, WC 2013 - Supporter
    edited March 2013
    You're constantly getting points for killing lifeforms / buildings already. You could take this number, devide it by total games played and possibly get quite a good indication of the players skill. Update this number constantly, for example only count in the games of recent 3 weeks.

What can you do with this number? Mainly balance teams imo, which has some potential. Servers could decide what players may join, this could have some negative impacts too.
  • DC_DarklingDC_Darkling Join Date: 2003-07-10 Member: 18068Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver
    I can not say if it makes it worse.. no real experience with such a system.
    As for balanced servers.. One match they are very, the other they aint. depends on the day
  • SquishpokePOOPFACESquishpokePOOPFACE -21,248 posts (ignore below) Join Date: 2012-10-31 Member: 165262Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    My opinion: It's superfluous. Arbitrary icons and numbers is often an illusion of reward based on shallow gameplay, and as such I am heavily biased against such systems. It also promotes a "class" based social construct within the game that naturally brings a lot of negativity and ePeen measuring. It's cancerous, unnecessary, and undermines the entire notion of team-play. Screw that.

Your skill in Natural Selection 2 should be rewarded with the victory of your team. Nothing more, nothing less.
  • DrPhilDrPhil Join Date: 2013-03-24 Member: 184346Members
    Many interesting opinions here!
    That might be the case that it would turn the game into a grindfest, which of course was not my intent. I still want a way to find players around my skill. Could there be a smoother way to make that happen without making people "hunt" for badges?

Or am I the only one experiencing this kind of "problem"?
  • SquishpokePOOPFACESquishpokePOOPFACE -21,248 posts (ignore below) Join Date: 2012-10-31 Member: 165262Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    I consider the team as a whole unit, rather than broken down to its individual parts. Everyone will always have different abilities or insights in a given round, so it's just up to us to work together and optimize our relevant strengths on the fly. It's all part of the fun. No need to have ranks/numbers to cloud judgments when correct decisions should be self-evident.

Example: Onos says he will attack from crevice, I have 10 RES so I evolve into Gorge and support him. I notice we also have 2 Lerks who have been supporting ambushes, so I ask the Khammader to research Umbra so that we can take the power out in Atrium.

If skill level on your team is noticeably poor, you can try to adapt around that or try to get your team to work better. That way future rounds with these same players will hopefully play better.

On a more broader scale on how to fix your problem, you can become a regular of a server known to have veteran players. The team matches on a regular server can only get better over time, since you are working with (mostly) the same people over and over again.
  • Ghosthree3Ghosthree3 Join Date: 2010-02-13 Member: 70557Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    edited March 2013
    Pepper your angus. For some reason people are violently opposed to this idea here. Achievements and leveling is/are bad because CoD had them or something.

Achievements and leveling are completely unnecessary and distracting to the beauty of the game. CoD NEEDS them because the game is trash and it has to give people SOMETHING to play for. NS2 rewards players already when they work together to achieve objectives (even alone sometimes) that allow them to win the game.

It also puts an even bigger distance between players, people will see some rank 30 guy and go, OH that guy must be so much better than everyone else, and get even more frustrated when he dominates a game.
  • XariusXarius Join Date: 2003-12-21 Member: 24630Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    edited March 2013
    I never understood the need for achievements and ranking in FPS games, they never kept me playing to be honest. Even if they'd implement it, it'd be cosmetic only since unlocking new weapons and whatnot simply wouldn't work. I'd rather UWE devote their time on making the game even better to be honest, that's all that matters if it's longevity you're after. (Multiple different strategies, tech, etc rather than every game feeling the same)

Some servers like HBZ have a leaderboard btw (with ranks), so it's easily something server admins can opt-in for on a larger scale if there's a higher demand for it.
  • A[L]CA[L]C Join Date: 2010-07-25 Member: 72801Members
    Xarius wrote: »
    Some servers like HBZ have a leaderboard btw (with ranks), so it's easily something server admins can opt-in for on a larger scale if there's a higher demand for it.
    I guess that's NS2 stats?

I'd like to see some sort of ranking mechanic, if only to aid randoming

• mclawlsmclawls Join Date: 2013-03-02 Member: 183556Members
    Please no. I can't stand stats, achievements, all this junk. It's SOOOOOO refreshing to have a game that is just about playing it. You have kills and deaths, etc. during a round, that's enough.
  • BicsumBicsum Join Date: 2012-02-27 Member: 147596Members, Reinforced - Gold
    A[L]C wrote: »
    Xarius wrote: »
    I guess that's NS2 stats?

I'd like to see some sort of ranking mechanic, if only to aid randoming

Not ns2stats, its much more basic atm. We are just tracking the score and play time with a custom shine plugin. The top 100 (I think) players get scoreboard icons bases on that tracked score.

I wanted to implement an elo system at some point (requires more than tracked score ofc), but having a job, real life and playing comp doesnt leave much time for that. :-(
  • SixtyWattManSixtyWattMan Join Date: 2004-09-05 Member: 31404Members
    Stats, ranking, and leveling up are all stupid. Development time that would be spent on that garbage is much better spent on optimization and gameplay features.

Leveling is not fun.
  • dePARAdePARA Join Date: 2011-04-29 Member: 96321Members, Squad Five Blue
    A while ago i was against ns2stats also, but now i see the benefits.

Some exmples:
    - If you are an admin and need the name or steamid of an troll or griefer, you can find it easy on ns2stats.
    - Since ns2stats we have less fakenickers. I hate to be destroyed by people and i know that they use fakenicks.
    - If you in a clan, its a good spot to find or compare good players.

Out laddersystem is very simple as its only scorebased atm and the overall score didnt tell any about the skill.
    But its looks very cool and you can identify the regular players on our servers.

With some sort of ELO or autoarrange (not random) you can have much more balanced games.
    This is stuff, we plaaing for the future as Bicsum told.

To summarize:
    Stats, ranking, and leveling up are not stupid. There stupid aspects for sure like in CoD
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=q6byKfvd4Sg#t=214s

But we are far from this atm, thank god.
  • ScardyBobScardyBob ScardyBob Join Date: 2009-11-25 Member: 69528Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    dePARA wrote: »
    A while ago i was against ns2stats also, but now i see the benefits.

Some exmples:
    - If you are an admin and need the name or steamid of an troll or griefer, you can find it easy on ns2stats.
    - Since ns2stats we have less fakenickers. I hate to be destroyed by people and i know that they use fakenicks.
    I really do love this aspect of ns2stats. However, it really should be a part of vanilla NS2.
  • Ghosthree3Ghosthree3 Join Date: 2010-02-13 Member: 70557Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    edited March 2013
    dePARA wrote: »
    To summarize:
    Stats, ranking, and leveling up are not stupid. There stupid aspects for sure like in CoD
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=q6byKfvd4Sg#t=214s

LMAO, I love Duty Calls.

EDIT: BLOODY SCREEN *whisper*so real*whisper*

Better vid, less derping around :P