Ns2 free weekend, sales rate?

oldassgamersoldassgamers Join Date: 2011-02-02 Member: 80033Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
How is the sales on ns2 in the free weekend? I feel it will get worse after this weekend.

I feel that to try out the game for free will be more of a negative impact on sale rates of a game. Maybe you can prove me wong. :P

Comments

• ScardyBobScardyBob ScardyBob Join Date: 2009-11-25 Member: 69528Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    No clue about the numbers except that NS2 is up to the 22nd spot on Steam's top sellers.
  • Angelo85Angelo85 Join Date: 2012-08-03 Member: 154662Members
    edited March 2013
    IMHO Free weekend + discount = lots of dosh

• oldassgamersoldassgamers Join Date: 2011-02-02 Member: 80033Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
    I hope it goes good for ns2. I want to see top 1 on steam :)
  • FarknutFarknut Join Date: 2013-03-18 Member: 184065Members
    edited March 2013
    Not too hopeful about the conversion rate myself. Almost every game I've played in since the free weekend started has been an absolute mess. Maybe some of the new people will enjoy that kind of thing though I suppose.
  • tarquinbbtarquinbb Join Date: 2012-11-03 Member: 166314Members
    wouldn't it make more sense to increase after the free to play period is over?

i don't think the sales will be high while the game is still effectively free.
  • RoobubbaRoobubba Who you gonna call? Join Date: 2003-01-06 Member: 11930Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    CrazyEddie wrote: »
    That's why free play ends on a Sunday afternoon but the half-off sale doesn't end until 24 hours later.

Get them hooked, cut them off, let them stew for a bit, make them an offer, and give them some time pressure to take the deal.

Candy from a baby.

Except while taking those sweets from the baby (odd phrase, babies need sugar like they need a hole in the head), you're also giving them their favourite monkey toy to play with. It's win/win.
  • NeokenNeoken Bruges, Belgium Join Date: 2004-03-20 Member: 27447Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Playtester
    CrazyEddie wrote: »
    That's why free play ends on a Sunday afternoon but the half-off sale doesn't end until 24 hours later.

Get them hooked, cut them off, let them stew for a bit, make them an offer, and give them some time pressure to take the deal.

Candy from a baby.

I feel like celebrating.
  • KwisatzHaderachKwisatzHaderach Join Date: 2012-02-06 Member: 143872Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    Up to #16! Go UWE, go!!!
  • YMICrazyYMICrazy Join Date: 2012-11-02 Member: 165986Members
    Number 8 in sales now. Not too shabby.
  • The_JanitorThe_Janitor Join Date: 2013-03-24 Member: 184320Members
    edited March 2013
    Angelo85 wrote: »
    IMHO Free weekend + discount = lots of dosh

Apolodosh?

• matsomatso Master of Patches Join Date: 2002-11-05 Member: 7000Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Squad Five Gold, Reinforced - Shadow, NS2 Community Developer
  • ThorondorThorondor Join Date: 2004-07-06 Member: 29745Members
    Third at the moment. :)
  • SloppyKissesSloppyKisses omgawd a furreh! Virginia Join Date: 2003-07-05 Member: 17942Members, Constellation
    Thats because unknowns is filled with win <3
  • AngeluszAngelusz Harmonic entropist Join Date: 2003-07-10 Member: 18072Members, Forum Moderators, Constellation, NS2 Playtester
    Selling like hot buns. Still at a steady third place. :)
  • SquishpokePOOPFACESquishpokePOOPFACE -21,248 posts (ignore below) Join Date: 2012-10-31 Member: 165262Members, Reinforced - Shadow
  • AdambeanAdambean Cardiff, South Wales Join Date: 2005-06-03 Member: 53038Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    Just wondering, where are you finding this sales chart?
  • CrazyEddieCrazyEddie Join Date: 2013-01-08 Member: 178196Members
    http://store.steampowered.com/

Midway down the page, there's a tab that says "Top Sellers".
  • AdambeanAdambean Cardiff, South Wales Join Date: 2005-06-03 Member: 53038Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited March 2013
    Ah didn't see that, I was looking all around the menus for it... Thanks :)
    Down to 4th now, we can't have that. Steal your friend's wallets people :P
  • flyjumflyjum Join Date: 2012-01-07 Member: 139849Members
    Peaked at nearly 10k players today
    Not too bad
  • GeoGeo Join Date: 2013-03-24 Member: 184353Members
    I am a newbie that bought the game because of the free weekend. I think giving players a free trial is risky because you have to have a very good game in order for the trial to sell more copies. I remember seeing a graph somewhere that compared the sales of games which had demos to games which had no demos. The games that had demos sold less! But NS2 is a really great game, so it is an exception.
  • oldassgamersoldassgamers Join Date: 2011-02-02 Member: 80033Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
    Come on ns2. I want to see top 1 :D
  • joederpjoederp Join Date: 2012-11-02 Member: 165992Members
    Farknut wrote: »
    Not too hopeful about the conversion rate myself. Almost every game I've played in since the free weekend started has been an absolute mess. Maybe some of the new people will enjoy that kind of thing though I suppose.

UWE, I think you need to pay particular attention to this post! I totally agree with this statement. The veterans tried our best to make the games fun but its so hard with such total noobs! I think next time you do a free weekend, if you really want to capture these people and get them to buy it you need to find a way to give them a glimpse of what the game is REALLY meant to be like. I think very few noobs got to see this side of the game, and the awesomeness that lies within a properly matched game. I think if everyone got to see that, a lot more people would have bought the game.

In the future, I'm not sure what could be done, but an idea I had would be something like making it so noobs were stuck in "rookie" mode for at least 1 hour of gameplay. And while in rookie mode, they are forced to auto-connect to very specific servers where the game environment is a little more scripted. Possibly make it so if the commander is doing absolutely nothing, the game will step in and help him out a little - like drop a few res nodes and auto-instruct other players to go build them, auto-drop important structures but have a voiceover explain why it did that and why it is important. Sort of like a live tutorial.
    And for the standard marines / skulks, it should be more interactive with helping them understand what is happening around them. If the commander drops something, it should pop up a little clip explaining what to do, and if they don't do it, temporarily take control of their character to show them how to do it once.

Also we need to make sure the rookies arent getting steamrolled by veteran players! I'm not sure you guys understand how crippling and demoralizing to a new player. I personally saw dozens of noobs get stomped again and again by a few veterans until they just rage quit. About 25% of them even typed in or spoke on their mic something to the extent of "this game is terrible, I just die instantly" and they rage quit with a record of 0 & 25 and probably never came back. I think it would be critical to force players to stay in these rookie servers for an hour or 2 so that they can learn to play with other rookies and not get steam rolled so badly. Maybe even throw in a couple bots on each team that would roam the map and do constructive things like build structures and gorge up areas but not really be that effective at killing anybody - but they would at least allow the game to progress somewhat normally in the absence of any veterans.
  • Ghosthree3Ghosthree3 Join Date: 2010-02-13 Member: 70557Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    edited March 2013
    joederp wrote: »
    Farknut wrote: »

UWE, I think you need to pay particular attention to this post! I totally agree with this statement. The veterans tried our best to make the games fun but its so hard with such total noobs! I think next time you do a free weekend, if you really want to capture these people and get them to buy it you need to find a way to give them a glimpse of what the game is REALLY meant to be like. I think very few noobs got to see this side of the game, and the awesomeness that lies within a properly matched game. I think if everyone got to see that, a lot more people would have bought the game.

In the future, I'm not sure what could be done, but an idea I had would be something like making it so noobs were stuck in "rookie" mode for at least 1 hour of gameplay. And while in rookie mode, they are forced to auto-connect to very specific servers where the game environment is a little more scripted. Possibly make it so if the commander is doing absolutely nothing, the game will step in and help him out a little - like drop a few res nodes and auto-instruct other players to go build them, auto-drop important structures but have a voiceover explain why it did that and why it is important. Sort of like a live tutorial.
    And for the standard marines / skulks, it should be more interactive with helping them understand what is happening around them. If the commander drops something, it should pop up a little clip explaining what to do, and if they don't do it, temporarily take control of their character to show them how to do it once.

Also we need to make sure the rookies arent getting steamrolled by veteran players! I'm not sure you guys understand how crippling and demoralizing to a new player. I personally saw dozens of noobs get stomped again and again by a few veterans until they just rage quit. About 25% of them even typed in or spoke on their mic something to the extent of "this game is terrible, I just die instantly" and they rage quit with a record of 0 & 25 and probably never came back. I think it would be critical to force players to stay in these rookie servers for an hour or 2 so that they can learn to play with other rookies and not get steam rolled so badly. Maybe even throw in a couple bots on each team that would roam the map and do constructive things like build structures and gorge up areas but not really be that effective at killing anybody - but they would at least allow the game to progress somewhat normally in the absence of any veterans.

This would be a good idea, Rookie ONLY servers that have AI to help people out. I disagree that the minimum time for rookie mode should be 1 hour though, more like a week.

Being forced into rookie only servers should only last a day though, after that let them join whatever they want, but keep that rookie mode on!
  • GrizeenGrizeen Join Date: 2013-03-17 Member: 184036Members
    i'd just like to see how many "newbies" actually bought the game.
  • SloppyKissesSloppyKisses omgawd a furreh&#33; Virginia Join Date: 2003-07-05 Member: 17942Members, Constellation
    I think the fact this game caters to more hardcore players than casual is what is keeping sales so low and not seeing this amazing game number one being played.

I understand completely that UE wants to cater to the professional leagues, but at the same time they need to find a balance with the casual player as well.
  • KwisatzHaderachKwisatzHaderach Join Date: 2012-02-06 Member: 143872Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    I think the fact this game caters to more hardcore players than casual is what is keeping sales so low and not seeing this amazing game number one being played.

I understand completely that UE wants to cater to the professional leagues, but at the same time they need to find a balance with the casual player as well.

At this stage where so many people with zero experience play the game simultaniously it's NOT about balance but all about experience. There's nothing UWE can do to balance out a rookie that has just started and doesn't know the maps nor benefits of weapons/upgrades/evolutions against a vet with all that knowledge and then some. Please let us not turn this into yet another balance thread.
  • XariusXarius Join Date: 2003-12-21 Member: 24630Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    Just have a tutorial for next time there's a free weekend, and perhaps less frustrating skulk mechanics. All things considered I'm sure the weekend can be called a success :).
  • rmbrown09rmbrown09 Join Date: 2012-10-17 Member: 162592Members
    NS2 has a much lower retention rate than most games. For your normal game that might retain 20-30% of new players as long term regular junkies, ns2 falls far below that.

The game is hard to learn.
    The game is hard to play.
    The game is hard to run.

These factors make the player base fewer but that of a more seasoned mature variety.
  • ThorondorThorondor Join Date: 2004-07-06 Member: 29745Members
    rmbrown09 wrote: »
    NS2 has a much lower retention rate than most games. For your normal game that might retain 20-30% of new players as long term regular junkies, ns2 falls far below that.
    Sources please...