Should I get a Logitech G400 to replace my Razer Deathadder 1800?

FuleFule Join Date: 2009-06-04 Member: 67683Members
edited April 2013 in Off-Topic
sLogitech seems to have rubber grips and this razer does not and it gets slippery and messy all the time - what do you think?
Bought G400.

Comments

• XythXyth Avatar Join Date: 2003-11-04 Member: 22312Members
    I use the g400 and it owns, it OWNS
    but seriously, logitech is great, g400 is great. Enough said
  • ObraxisObraxis Subnautica Animator & Generalist, NS2 Person Join Date: 2004-07-24 Member: 30071Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Silver, WC 2013 - Supporter, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts
    I just got my Razer Deathadder 2013 and it's great. It does have rubber sides on the thumb and finger sides for extra grip.
  • FuleFule Join Date: 2009-06-04 Member: 67683Members
    Obraxis wrote: »
    I just got my Razer Deathadder 2013 and it's great. It does have rubber sides on the thumb and finger sides for extra grip.

Well, that cost twice as much as g400, so I'm not really interested in that :D And deathadder feels a little small for me - I have the 1800 DPI one.
  • ScardyBobScardyBob ScardyBob Join Date: 2009-11-25 Member: 69528Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    Having used the G400's predecessor (MX 518) for years, I never had an issue with slippage. It doesn't have rubberized sides, so if you're having slippage issues with the Deathadder, you may have it with the G400 too.

The best place to find a mouse that fits your needs is this TeamLiquid Mouse Thread.
  • hypertrophyhypertrophy Join Date: 2013-02-27 Member: 183393Members
    +1 for logitech g400, great mouse, been using mine for 2 years. Replaced a shitty razer habu that the left click broke on in a month. If you used the MX 518 or the microsoft intellimouse back in the day this is probably a good fit for your hand.
    But from the pictures I understand that g400 has rubberized grips? Is that just an illusion then?
  • ScardyBobScardyBob ScardyBob Join Date: 2009-11-25 Member: 69528Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    But from the pictures I understand that g400 has rubberized grips? Is that just an illusion then?
    It is, but its a very smooth rubber grip (at least it is on my MX518).
    ScardyBob wrote: »
    It is, but its a very smooth rubber grip (at least it is on my MX518).
    Well if it does have rubber, then it still might be better than deathadder because it has a glossy plastic that gets slippery and dirty.
  • _jay_jay Join Date: 2012-11-04 Member: 166951Members
    Just got a DeathAdder2013 to replace my aging G400 (patches of the rubberised coating missing is annoying), quite happy with it. Has rubber strips instead of rubberised coating, the buttons/mouse-wheel are sharp and responsive, it's matte all over and you can turn off the bling lights on it.
  • current1ycurrent1y Join Date: 2003-12-08 Member: 24150Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
    After seeing this thread yesterday I went to the local store and picked up both, been wanting to try a gaming mouse for a while now. I personally like the DeathAdder2013 more. It fits my hand better considering my hand size and how I like to hold the mouse. It also is less slippery then the G400.

In the end though since they are shaped differently I would go with whatever fits your hand best...
  • ExoskelettExoskelett Join Date: 2012-12-18 Member: 175509Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    ive changed my mouse from a mx518 (cuz much too small) into a deathadder 3.5g - and i dont have any problems with slippery - its only a bit dirty at the left and right side of it, but just clean it up once per day and all good? or you might get some glue and mod ur "old" mouse...? dont think you will be happy with an g400 because its much smaller as the DA and if its too small for your hands you will aim like ... :D
    _jay wrote: »
    Just got a DeathAdder2013 to replace my aging G400 (patches of the rubberised coating missing is annoying), quite happy with it. Has rubber strips instead of rubberised coating, the buttons/mouse-wheel are sharp and responsive, it's matte all over and you can turn off the bling lights on it.

It's worth noting that if you had emailed Logitech customer support about the rubber coming off your G400 they would have mailed you a brand-new one for free (you would have had to mail the broken one to them but they give you a shipping label). Logitech has probably the best customer service of any company I know of.
    Why you keep comparing g400 to deathadder 2013 when I clearly said I'm talking about the 1800 dpi deathadder?
    This one:
    razer_deathadder_1.jpg
  • sherpasherpa stopcommandermode Join Date: 2006-11-04 Member: 58338Members
    edited March 2013
    I had the one in that picture. Great mouse but the mouse wheel broke (both the scroll and the clicking) so replaced it with a Logitech. Mouse before that was another Razer that also broke, won't be using them again.
    I guess I'l a bit different in that I eventually found that the MX518 was a bit too large and heavy for my taste (I've been switching between my traditional claw grip and fingertip grip to see which I like better). I recently went with the CM Storm Scout and have been loving it (~15g lighter and 23mm shorter than the G400/MX518). However, you should go with the mouse that fits your handsize and grip-style (if you have a Microcenter or Fry's nearby, just go and play around with their gaming mice to find which feels the best to you).

If you can't, I found this chart useful for making mouse weight/sizing comparisons:
    mn78Y.jpg
  • MaLuSMaLuS Join Date: 2013-02-02 Member: 182769Members
  • _jay_jay Join Date: 2012-11-04 Member: 166951Members
    With the G400 something that's always annoyed me is the mousewheel on it. It doesn't have a nice sharp click or notching when scrolling up/down like the MSIE3.0 or the the DA, it has more of a mushy/springy resistance to it.
    Xyth wrote: »

It's worth noting that if you had emailed Logitech customer support about the rubber coming off your G400 they would have mailed you a brand-new one for free (you would have had to mail the broken one to them but they give you a shipping label). Logitech has probably the best customer service of any company I know of.

It's from wear and tear where you have your grip on the mouse. It's only started happening recently but it's a snowball effect that only gets worse once it's started. I've had the mouse since 2011 and this is the first I've heard about getting replacements so is this something still worth chasing up?
    It's from wear and tear where you have your grip on the mouse. It's only started happening recently but it's a snowball effect that only gets worse once it's started. I've had the mouse since 2011 and this is the first I've heard about getting replacements so is this something still worth chasing up?

I had a logitech mouse/keyboard combo I bought on sale from microcenter many moons ago. The mouse coating started coming off after years of usage. I emailed their customer support and they told me they'd be happy to replace it but they don't produce that model anymore. Would it be alright if they instead replaced it with the newer model?
    I didn't object.
    I didn't mail them the wireless dongles, only the keyboard and mouse

• MonkfishMonkfish Sonic-boom-inducing buttcheeks of terrifying speed! Join Date: 2003-06-03 Member: 16972Members
    Don't buy anything from razer anymore. Mouse DRM.
  • NominousNominous Baltimore, MD Join Date: 2012-02-18 Member: 146518Members
    The G400 is great except for the mouse cord. I ran into the dreaded USB disconnect issue after a few months of use. Logitech replaced it for me pretty quickly and I'm using my second one without issues so far. Another downside I can see is that the mouse is fairly large and heavy. It takes a bit of getting used to for people with smaller hands. I used the Deathadder 3.5G before and while it's good, the glossy sides result in gunk accumulating very fast. I see that the Deathadder 2013 has rubberized grips and I'd be willing to go back just because of that.
  • ObraxisObraxis Subnautica Animator & Generalist, NS2 Person Join Date: 2004-07-24 Member: 30071Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Silver, WC 2013 - Supporter, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts
    Monkfish wrote: »
    Don't buy anything from razer anymore. Mouse DRM.

Once you have installed the drive you can use it 'offline' immediately.
  • ritualsacrificeritualsacrifice Join Date: 2012-11-14 Member: 171148Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    I have a deathadder, and I love it. The only advice I have is don't put push to talk on the thumb buttons, that's where mine is bound and after about 6 months it caved in. It's still mostly functional, but there's no feedback as to whether or not i'm pressing it right.
  • KhazeKhaze Join Date: 2006-12-12 Member: 59031Members
    Razer breaks down. Mice, keyboards, headsets - it's all worthless. You're paying for nothing but the gaming brand and getting a product of awful quality in return. Their older stuff was decent, but anything released in the last year or two is not worth buying.

Buy a Logitech. Seriously. Longer warranties too.
  • SloppyKissesSloppyKisses omgawd a furreh! Virginia Join Date: 2003-07-05 Member: 17942Members, Constellation
    I've used my deathadder for a few years now. I would never consider a different alternative. It's by far the best gaming mouse I've ever owned. I've tried others, but its just not the same and imo nothing really compares D;
  • SloppyKissesSloppyKisses omgawd a furreh! Virginia Join Date: 2003-07-05 Member: 17942Members, Constellation
    edited March 2013
    I've used my deathadder for a few years now. I would never consider a different alternative. It's by far the best gaming mouse I've ever owned. I've tried others, but its just not the same and imo nothing really compares D;

I've had my mouse for 4 years... My razer headset for 2. maybe you're doing it wrong. :B
    Also, apologies for derping and double posting. :V
  • Rich_Rich_ Join Date: 2012-11-05 Member: 167152Members
    dpi doesnt mean anything it's just dots per inch. if your resolution is say, 1080p, anything over 1080dpi will actually cause you to be less precise. what matters is polling rate. g400 has 1ghz, thats as fast as it gets and very good, dunno bout deathadder1800, but the current deathadder 3500's do have 1ghz polling rate, so its a question of cosmetics/ergonomics really. If u want the rubber go for the g400
    I ordered the g400, i hope it's good and doesn't have prediction! :)
  • That_Annoying_KidThat_Annoying_Kid Sire of Titles Join Date: 2003-03-01 Member: 14175Members, Constellation
    me and my good buddy recommend G400 says the sensor is well above avg

he also says stay away from Razor, I've heard that sentiment echoed before
  • kalakujakalakuja Join Date: 2012-09-11 Member: 159045Members, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter
    MaLuS wrote: »
    personally i have the Logitech G700 and it is fantastic!

http://www.logitech.com/en-us/product/wireless-gaming-mouse-g700?crid=825
    This is the best mouse for everything. The button locations are so spot on and the size just darn good. Also the ability to detach into wireless makes it so worthwhile.
    I just hope they won't shut down this series.
  • Heroman117Heroman117 Join Date: 2010-07-28 Member: 73268Members
    MaLuS wrote: »
    personally i have the Logitech G700 and it is fantastic!

As a G700 user myself i can also confirm that it is a fantastic mouse, fits my hand so nicely and switching wired/wireless on a whim just makes life just that little bit more pleasant.