Free weekend player count

Racer1Racer1 Join Date: 2002-11-22 Member: 9615Members
The gorgeous release approached 4000 concurrent players. What will the free weekend reap?
http://steamgraph.net/index.php?action=graph&appid=4920&from=1362117600

Comments

• SquishpokePOOPFACESquishpokePOOPFACE -21,248 posts (ignore below) Join Date: 2012-10-31 Member: 165262Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    last time I checked we were about to breach 6.5K.
  • GamerkatzeGamerkatze Join Date: 2012-06-27 Member: 153711Members
    use this graph its much more usefull ;)
    http://games.opensteamworks.org/Chart/View/4920
    also the current top is 7,737 (now thats what i call a number xD )
  • deathmongerdeathmonger Join Date: 2012-07-06 Member: 153953Members
    7,897 as I type this...damn! I think we'll see over 8,000 today.
  • VenatosVenatos Join Date: 2012-03-31 Member: 149762Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold
    8k already, thats a good start!
    hope many of them stay with us. ;)
  • CrazyEddieCrazyEddie Join Date: 2013-01-08 Member: 178196Members
    Wait for it... wait for it.......
  • SquishpokePOOPFACESquishpokePOOPFACE -21,248 posts (ignore below) Join Date: 2012-10-31 Member: 165262Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    guys we don't have enough vets to go around anymore... :O
  • Super_GorgeSuper_Gorge Join Date: 2013-03-22 Member: 184212Members
    Squishpoke wrote: »

You say that like it's a bad thing.

My KD is crazy now. On good days before F2P weekend, I got 3:1. Pulling 6:1 or even 10:1 now. And my gorge scores? Total Awesome-sauce.

That said, if the number of veterans is equal on both teams, then it should be pretty fair. What I found yesterday is it seems that the team that has the best tactician veteran generally wins the game (assuming Marines can aim).

Now...when the new players are stacked on one team, that doesn't go well for them.
  • ResRes Join Date: 2003-08-27 Member: 20245Members
    I was in a game where it started out 6v6 and I was playing Aliens.... I quickly realized how bad the players were and just started dodging only when I saw a marine and not attack them...... they would waste all their ammo and still not kill me, then they would just start swingning their rifle butt watching me run around them.... lol... Then when the server reached 12v12 I started to actually play and reached a score of 80-4.... I felt kind of bad.
  • Super_GorgeSuper_Gorge Join Date: 2013-03-22 Member: 184212Members
    Res wrote: »
    I was in a game where it started out 6v6 and I was playing Aliens.... I quickly realized how bad the players were and just started dodging only when I saw a marine and not attack them...... they would waste all their ammo and still not kill me, then they would just start swingning their rifle butt watching me run around them.... lol... Then when the server reached 12v12 I started to actually play and reached a score of 80-4.... I felt kind of bad.

You should play Gorge at that point. :)
  • DC_DarklingDC_Darkling Join Date: 2003-07-10 Member: 18068Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver
    when I am surrounded by news i dont play killmachine on my best. I do slow and 'make mistakes'.
    Hahaha, I had marines thanking me when I said I "left there base at x alone" because I would have ended it solo.

I did not, and we had a beautiful match. :)
  • Racer1Racer1 Join Date: 2002-11-22 Member: 9615Members
    8235 players at around 3-4 PM Friday.
  • FrothybeverageFrothybeverage Join Date: 2003-02-15 Member: 13593Members
    Squishpoke wrote: »

You say that like it's a bad thing.

My KD is crazy now. On good days before F2P weekend, I got 3:1. Pulling 6:1 or even 10:1 now. And my gorge scores? Total Awesome-sauce.

That said, if the number of veterans is equal on both teams, then it should be pretty fair. What I found yesterday is it seems that the team that has the best tactician veteran generally wins the game (assuming Marines can aim).

Now...when the new players are stacked on one team, that doesn't go well for them.
    I went 57-7 earlier today.

These new people make delicious marines.
  • current1ycurrent1y Join Date: 2003-12-08 Member: 24150Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
    yes....welder weekend is in full swing.
  • SloppyKissesSloppyKisses omgawd a furreh! Virginia Join Date: 2003-07-05 Member: 17942Members, Constellation
    current1y wrote: »
    yes....welder weekend is in full swing.
    Welder warriors are the best. Oh how I miss the NS1 welders, welding skulks to death :*(

• Blarney_StoneBlarney_Stone Join Date: 2013-03-08 Member: 183808Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited March 2013
    I had an alien game today where I went 34-9. Then I had a marine game where I went 24-5.

Free weekend sure is fun.
  • Ghosthree3Ghosthree3 Join Date: 2010-02-13 Member: 70557Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    I had an alien game where I went 116-6 D:

I kinda stopped playing after that, sat in spec, and just gave advice, because that's just not cool.
  • XariusXarius Join Date: 2003-12-21 Member: 24630Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    edited March 2013
    I never thought NS2 was really all that complex to be honest, but seeing the majority of these rookies has made me believe other wise. Do hope some of them stick around.
    NS2 is almost in the top 20 sales at least.
  • Rich_Rich_ Join Date: 2012-11-05 Member: 167152Members
    would be cool if the # of people that decide to get it after the weekend brings the stagnation point from 1500~ to about 4000, 3000 would be good too
  • XariusXarius Join Date: 2003-12-21 Member: 24630Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    edited March 2013
    The retention rate is always a tricky one. Chivalry for example had almost 25k players try the game during the free weekend with a 8k peak after the sale but dropped back into their old +-2k average players shortly after (Doesn't help that they only had one significant patch). NS has had much lower peaks but arguably has a slightly higher retention rate. Either way, I don't think NS2 is going anywhere, not even if the playerbase remains at the current stagnation point, as long as there's enough sales coming in for UWE to keep supporting the game.
  • Ghosthree3Ghosthree3 Join Date: 2010-02-13 Member: 70557Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    If just 1/4 of them stay it'd be awesome, 1/2 would be amazing, more than that, no chance.
  • YMICrazyYMICrazy Join Date: 2012-11-02 Member: 165986Members
    Xarius wrote: »
    The retention rate is always a tricky one. Chivalry for example had almost 25k players try the game during the free weekend with a 8k peak after the sale but dropped back into their old +-2k average players shortly after (Doesn't help that they only had one significant patch). NS has had much lower peaks but arguably has a slightly higher retention rate. Either way, I don't think NS2 is going anywhere, not even if the playerbase remains at the current stagnation point, as long as there's enough sales coming in for UWE to keep supporting the game.

Hm NS2 was around 1.4k-1.5k down from the 3.8k peak we saw at the start of March (Gorgeous) before the free weekend. I sort of wonder why those players stopped playing in this month. May have been boredom or a new game but if they did not enjoy something about NS2 I wish more people just expressed it on the forums. If the new players leave for the same issues then there may be a trend but there is no way to know for sure.

I still feel the performance is keeping NS2 from it's full potential. It has definitely increased a bit in 240 but not to the level where everyone can play 60+ at all times. Which is what Valve did with most of their popular games such as L4D2 and CS:GO. Blizzard also ensures that their game can access a broad range of PCs with performance. Still Cory said there are many other plans in the works so I think in the future it might run extremely well on lower end PCs as well.

Next time they have a sale I do not think there will be as many purchases. Mostly because they have had quite a few sales that by now everyone who wanted the game has it and those that wanted a demo got it this week and will either buy it or not. They would have to go another route such as cosmetics although this would require retaining players to buy the new stuff and keeping people interested with updates. Or making a new game and lastly F2P if all else fails :<
    edited March 2013
    They intend to release another content patch or two, so I don't think they've necessarily reached out to their full potential playerbase. I'm sure some more maps, performance tweaks and new features (as well as deeper gameplay with changes like the ones we see in Sewlek's mod) could go a long way in attracting new players and keeping the game healthy for a long time to come.
  • NeokenNeoken Bruges, Belgium Join Date: 2004-03-20 Member: 27447Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Playtester
    Xarius wrote: »

Hm NS2 was around 1.4k-1.5k down from the 3.8k peak we saw at the start of March (Gorgeous) before the free weekend. I sort of wonder why those players stopped playing in this month. May have been boredom or a new game but if they did not enjoy something about NS2 I wish more people just expressed it on the forums. If the new players leave for the same issues then there may be a trend but there is no way to know for sure.

I still feel the performance is keeping NS2 from it's full potential. It has definitely increased a bit in 240 but not to the level where everyone can play 60+ at all times. Which is what Valve did with most of their popular games such as L4D2 and CS:GO. Blizzard also ensures that their game can access a broad range of PCs with performance. Still Cory said there are many other plans in the works so I think in the future it might run extremely well on lower end PCs as well.

Next time they have a sale I do not think there will be as many purchases. Mostly because they have had quite a few sales that by now everyone who wanted the game has it and those that wanted a demo got it this week and will either buy it or not. They would have to go another route such as cosmetics although this would require retaining players to buy the new stuff and keeping people interested with updates. Or making a new game and lastly F2P if all else fails :<

People tend to move on from time to time. There's an ocean of games out there. And retaining a playerbase has already gotten more difficult over the years because with the emergence of easy online purchase platforms (steam), prevalent sales, and f2p games, there's so much more competition around. It's not unusual to see playercounts drop down after a sale. It's actually quite normal, and thus doesn't mean something is wrong with the game per se.

But games can go on selling for quite some time though, not necessarely because there are still plenty of people who haven't heard about it, but also because those that do know about it don't necessarely buy it immediately, even if they like what they see. For intance, I know plenty of games which have piqued my interest, but which I haven't bought because of other reasons (time, money, hardware limitations, etc.). I simply cannot play every game the appeals to me at thesame time. That doesn't mean I might not buy one of those games in the future. So, it's not unusual for people to buy games years after their release date.
  • AurOn2AurOn2 COOKIES&#33; FREEDOM, AND BISCUITS&#33; Australia Join Date: 2012-01-13 Member: 140224Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Forum staff
    edited March 2013
    @sloppykisses maybe now i can get people to join mah clan. :3
  • aaSpideraaSpider Join Date: 2010-07-27 Member: 73079Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    Ghosthree3 wrote: »
    I had an alien game where I went 116-6 D:
    I kinda stopped playing after that, sat in spec, and just gave advice, because that's just not cool.

I remember that Ghosthree and I though it was great that you did that. I was Marine comm for that game and was trying to do the same for the Marine team.

I think we did a good job that night by keeping the vets on each team fairly even and ended up with some good games. I think that is the key, the better games we have the more likely people will keep playing after the free weekend.
  • NousWandererNousWanderer Join Date: 2010-05-07 Member: 71646Members
    edited March 2013
    ...but if they did not enjoy something about NS2 I wish more people just expressed it on the forums.
    No comment.

New peak number I see! Hope we can get a couple thousand more, shouldn't be too hard given how it's only saturday afternoon :)
  • KwisatzHaderachKwisatzHaderach Join Date: 2012-02-06 Member: 143872Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    I'm impressed! Maybe I'll fire up NS2 tonight even though I won't be able to play; just for upping the numbers...
  • NeokenNeoken Bruges, Belgium Join Date: 2004-03-20 Member: 27447Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Playtester
    Approaching the 10K mark. Greens, greens everywhere. :)
  • CrushaKCrushaK Join Date: 2012-11-05 Member: 167195Members, NS2 Playtester
    Let's just hope we won't have less players than before after the free weekend is over.