Free weekend player count

2»

Comments

• Blarney_StoneBlarney_Stone Join Date: 2013-03-08 Member: 183808Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited March 2013
    CrushaK wrote: »
    Let's just hope we won't have less players than before after the free weekend is over.

How could that happen? If people don't like free weekend they'll just stop playing until Sunday and then start again.
  • CrushaKCrushaK Join Date: 2012-11-05 Member: 167195Members, NS2 Playtester
    edited March 2013
    Let's just hope we won't have less players than before after the free weekend is over.

How could that happen? If people don't like free weekend they'll just stop playing until Sunday and then start again.

I think Super MNC had less players after the cross-promotion with TF2 than before. (The second peak: http://steamgraph.net/index.php?action=graph&jstime=1&appid=104700&from=1325372400000&to=1356994800000)
  • CrazyEddieCrazyEddie Join Date: 2013-01-08 Member: 178196Members
  • YMICrazyYMICrazy Join Date: 2012-11-02 Member: 165986Members

I think Super MNC had less players after the cross-promotion with TF2 than before. (The second peak: http://steamgraph.net/index.php?action=graph&jstime=1&appid=104700&from=1325372400000&to=1356994800000)

*Sniff* Muh SMNC
  • gnoarchgnoarch Join Date: 2012-08-29 Member: 156802Members, Reinforced - Gold
    played some rounds today and to be completely honest I dont know whether a free weekend is good promotion for a game as complex as NS2.

• MirekMirek Join Date: 2009-05-27 Member: 67494Members, Reinforced - Gold
    Yeah i played some rounds as a commander in a team full of Rookies. It was really frustrating first but most of them were thankful of my help and guidance and learned quick so it turned out to be fun eventually.
  • ScardyBobScardyBob ScardyBob Join Date: 2009-11-25 Member: 69528Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    CrazyEddie wrote: »
    .... and there it is.

IT'S OVER NINE THOUSAND!
    Yup, broke the meme barrier:
    RVJAgX8l.png
  • RoobubbaRoobubba Who you gonna call? Join Date: 2003-01-06 Member: 11930Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    9510 at the peak... Nice! Would have been sweet to break 10k, but still this is superb result!

Phoe (no, not the playtester Phoe... Phoebubba) and Prommah and I have been teaching people how to comm, getting 2 green comms, splitting ourselves up and helping them through it. We had some amazingly close and fun games, and a lot of very happy players.

Awesome stuff, hopefully these greens stick around to see what it's REALLY like :)

Roo
  • MrPinkMrPink Join Date: 2002-05-28 Member: 678Members
    Well I was able to deliver some great games as comm, but it's still a hit or miss experience for new players. I hated seeing one guy who would take comm, drop himself a lerk egg or shotgun and spawn camp every game.
  • XariusXarius Join Date: 2003-12-21 Member: 24630Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    edited March 2013
    NS2 is on place 11 in sales, so it does seem like the free weekend is paying off quite a bit.
    (Which is more important than free weekend peak to be honest)
  • SquishpokePOOPFACESquishpokePOOPFACE -21,248 posts (ignore below) Join Date: 2012-10-31 Member: 165262Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited March 2013
    The games I've played so far were so epic that I'm sure at least two rookies per team bought the game. One of them lasted 70 MINUTES. I mean holy crap that's the longest game I ever played. I'm still recovering... never stopped killing aliens, repairing buildings, and screaming on the mic. Didn't even have time to respond to Steam messages. One of the rookies had a sound tactical mind and helped us organize several pushes, and we had to swap out our old commander at the 45 minute mark because he was starting to crack under the pressure.

The miniguns are still ringing in my ears... I need a nap.

Edit: I am killing myself for not recording it in the first place. Lava Falls. Jetpack. Four Lerks. Bagging ALL of them. wrghe)-0sd gj4yh(&#(*^Q%
  • Brad2810Brad2810 Join Date: 2013-03-24 Member: 184313Members
    i've very slowly been getting better at the game, but this weekend is just what i needed, i always understood commanding and how everything worked even before i started palying the game cause of ns2hd (why i bought the game) and i've always wanted to try commanding, i knew what to do, but in normal matches, people yell at newbie comms. i now have a good feel for how to command quickly. pefect time to get better with a fade and lerk too :D
  • ellnicellnic Join Date: 2010-07-19 Member: 72559Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    wow 9.5K current players. Just WOW! The most I seen it when I have been playing was in the 6000's. But wow, a lot of people playing means lots of games to play
  • Super_GorgeSuper_Gorge Join Date: 2013-03-22 Member: 184212Members
    gnoarch wrote: »
    played some rounds today and to be completely honest I dont know whether a free weekend is good promotion for a game as complex as NS2.

Yeah, but didn't we (All-NS1 players) all start off as ignorant fools about the game?

I think it was a good promotion.
  • KwisatzHaderachKwisatzHaderach Join Date: 2012-02-06 Member: 143872Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    It just crossed my mind that we can expect alot more buyers to actually hang around than after the recent christmas and gorgeous sales. This time they bought the game fully aware of how it would perform and what to expect.
    With the game being 8th on the top-selling list I hope we'll get a much higher number of regulars than previous to the free weekend.
    I had an alien game today where I went 34-9. Then I had a marine game where I went 24-5.

Free weekend sure is fun.

That's it? Once I hit 10:1, I stop actively shooting aliens and just kill the ones who are seriously about to eat Marines, phasegates and power. I don't shoot them otherwise, unless they try to kill me.

Went 7:1 as a gorge. Eeek.
    ...but if they did not enjoy something about NS2 I wish more people just expressed it on the forums.
    No comment.

People do on the Steam Forums.

Mostly they fall under these:
    1) Too complex
    2) Not CoD like
    3) I hate spawn camping
    4) Bad performance

A few insightful people said they're going to pass because, while they like the game, the investment to get good in terms of time isn't something they have at the moment. Can't argue with that. They enjoyed it, they thought their time was well spent, they just don't have the larger commitment to what they perceive (correctly) is a sizable commitment.

A couple idiots say the game sucks because Marines only have 3 weapons or it "sucks" and never explain why (which really means the problem is with them). Clearly that guy spent all of 2 minutes in the game. Actually at 2 minutes, you might get mines, or welders or even shotguns if your Com is ballsy enough and has enough trust that their team can aim.

Sizable amount of criticism but not enjoy to dislike the game is the over whelmingness of what to do, how to evolve, what cysts are, etc. Seems that most are skipping the tutorials. Some are even jumping into the chair and have NO idea what to do. Maybe the Devs need a TF2 Like training that forces new players into a 10 minute "learn the basics." But at least many people are asking for tips and advice on the Steam Forums.