As long as shotguns exist in their current form, Aliens will always be at a disadvantage

13»

Comments

• It's Super Effective!It's Super Effective! Join Date: 2012-08-28 Member: 156625Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
    I consider myself a very good shot especially with the shotgun (proof is in the videos I make), an equally good fade can run circles around me and take me out LVL 2/2.

It would then be my situation to outsmart and outplay by either baiting them, or trying to cut off their retreat with myself or other team mates.

I find fighting fades a whole lot more difficult that lerks or skulks for the obvious reason. Marines put down 20 res, skulks put none, Shotgun should be a threat to them.

Lerk's did spend more and if they are smart they will wittle down a good shotgun marine with spikes before committing an attack simply because they have abilities that favor harassing than burst damage.
  • pearlykpearlyk Join Date: 2013-01-19 Member: 180732Members
    StrikerX3 wrote: »
    pearlyk wrote: »
    it's very frustrating getting picked off by a fade as a LMG marine, but that's fine, right?

Their point is that a shotgun can one-shot skulks and two-shot everything else but Oni. A LMG marine can still do a lot of damage to a Fade if he's smart, careful and aims properly (although it depends on the Fade not being insanely good).

Here's one thing aliens should try: babblers. Now that they cling to lifeforms forever and last longer, they should be able to hold off at least one shotgun blast giving enough time for the skulk to land at the very least 2 bites. Yes, that requires a Gorge and 2 pres; still cheaper than 20 pres for the shotgun.

the big difference here is the fact that the fade can pick his battles, he can easily disengage (compared to a marine at least, LOL) if he gets caught in a bad position.

I'm not against a small fade hp buff, but to think two shots happen frequently is pure delusion, you need w3 and perfect meatshots.
  • dToxdTox Join Date: 2013-03-13 Member: 183939Members
    And as long as players at the bottom of the skill ceiling continuously complain about things like shotguns being 'broken' this game will never evolve and develop. The game is about team-work, NOT 1on1 confrontations. It's not rock-paper-scissors.
  • RisingSunRisingSun Rising California Join Date: 2004-04-19 Member: 28015Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    dTox wrote: »
    And as long as players at the bottom of the skill ceiling continuously complain about things like shotguns being 'broken' this game will never evolve and develop. The game is about team-work, NOT 1on1 confrontations. It's not rock-paper-scissors.

Dont cater to the lowest level player. Instead make it more intuitive how to counter each element. New players usually just stroll up to marines never using the walls and they rarely have the patience to ambush.

Maybe lowering the skulk footstep volume or at least the radius at which it can be heard might go a long way in helping the average to poor player. If a skulk is moving in a pack of three the shotgunner will have to be spot on to kill all three skulks before they get 3+ bites into him. As you said this is a team game.

We are reaching that point again where new players are filtering in and they are horrible. I went 47-15 on the marines and I was on the losing team. I ended up with the highest kill count for both teams. One person can only do so much.

• irEricirEric Join Date: 2012-11-20 Member: 172615Members
    I consider myself a very good shot especially with the shotgun (proof is in the videos I make), an equally good fade can run circles around me and take me out LVL 2/2.

It would then be my situation to outsmart and outplay by either baiting them, or trying to cut off their retreat with myself or other team mates.

I find fighting fades a whole lot more difficult that lerks or skulks for the obvious reason. Marines put down 20 res, skulks put none, Shotgun should be a threat to them.

Lerk's did spend more and if they are smart they will wittle down a good shotgun marine with spikes before committing an attack simply because they have abilities that favor harassing than burst damage.

You should make some videos on to how to deal with shotguns. When to engage, when to wait for backup. How to engage with different life forms. Dealing with more than 1 shotgun. Ambush techniques and positioning. Get some footage with some really good baiting and emphasize the shotgunners line of sight. It will make it credible if you can show that the shotgunner is a good shot as well (score, k/d).