Let's be thankful our community is not like this

PistachioPistachio Join Date: 2005-05-26 Member: 52481Members
Specifically the video embedded in this article on the PA-Report. The video is NSFW because of foul language, but I honestly can't understand half of what they are saying.

I am not into e-sports at all, but I do remember watching that championship match awhile back between Exertus and Archaea (I believe I have those right). The difference in player maturity is night and day compared to that black ops video. I would be embarrassed to be on a team with a player who stood up, spewed obscenities and pointed to his junk after a kill. I do not understand how that environment is attractive to players or spectators.

Comments

• RedDogRedDog Las Vegas Join Date: 2013-02-22 Member: 183267Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, WC 2013 - Shadow
    I had to stop halfway thru. The squeaking voices and pre-pubescent facial 'hair' growth was too much...
  • SquishpokePOOPFACESquishpokePOOPFACE -21,248 posts (ignore below) Join Date: 2012-10-31 Member: 165262Members, Reinforced - Shadow
  • MestaritonttuMestaritonttu Join Date: 2004-07-29 Member: 30229Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold
    edited March 2013
    Typical console gamers. What did you expect?

Yours truly:

pc_master_race.jpg
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    I'm still quite confused and find it quite laughable that console FPS gaming is now considered pro-gaming. The thing thing I noticed first in the video was not the yelling, but the lack of a keyboard and mouse...

Also it's not hard to stop this... Just have the refs tell them that another outburst will get their team disqualified, common sense and the usual rules in any sport.
  • DC_DarklingDC_Darkling Join Date: 2003-07-10 Member: 18068Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver
    agreed in every way with what is said in this topic.
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    Kouji_San wrote: »
    I'm still quite confused and find it quite laughable that console FPS gaming is now considered pro-gaming. The thing thing I noticed first in the video was not the yelling, but the lack of a keyboard and mouse...

Also it's not hard to stop this... Just have the refs tell them that another outburst will get their team disqualified, common sense and the usual rules in any sport.

Yes, although the rage is probably half the appeal to their target audience: other console gamers.

This makes me sad, because it's probably true :(
  • NeokenNeoken Bruges, Belgium Join Date: 2004-03-20 Member: 27447Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Playtester
    edited March 2013
    In my experience, small communities in niche games tend to be awesome. NS is the prime example of this.

Also, regarding that video, the fact that the camera crew instantly turns to film whenever someone starts screaming profanities doesn't help. It only encourages that sort of behaviour.
  • ZekZek Join Date: 2002-11-10 Member: 7962Members, NS1 Playtester, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    Seems pretty clear that they're doing it on purpose, this is like the pro wrestling of esports.
  • YMICrazyYMICrazy Join Date: 2012-11-02 Member: 165986Members
    Wait 1 million dollars? Seriously? The ****
  • kingkrabbe.#bofkingkrabbe.#bof Join Date: 2012-10-21 Member: 162892Members
    I saw this video yesterday.

I think they were encouraged to behave like hooligans for the audience and whatnot. At least I hope they were.

But the audience is clearly boosting their behavior. Which makes me sad.

I'm glad NS2 has such a nice guy like Hugh moderating these events. One foul word and everybody must group hug, I suppose. Or they are forced to play with that hughicorn sound mod. ;D
    Wait what? I didn't watch the entire thing for obvious reasons.............................................................
  • CrazyEddieCrazyEddie Join Date: 2013-01-08 Member: 178196Members
    Audiences get what audiences want.

Audiences bring sponsors. Sponsors bring prizes. Prizes bring players. If the audience didn't like what the players were doing, there would be no sponsors, prizes, or players. Thus, antics like that must be what that game's target audience wants to see.

Well, okay then. Whatever. If it keeps them away from NS2, so much the better.
    ... which is not to say there's no room for enthusiasm in NS2, mind you. :)
  • KhazeKhaze Join Date: 2006-12-12 Member: 59031Members
    That has to be the funniest and at the same time the saddest thing I've seen today.

Yes, I am thankful. Especially this weekend.
  • YMICrazyYMICrazy Join Date: 2012-11-02 Member: 165986Members
    edited March 2013
    Wait what? I didn't watch the entire thing for obvious reasons.............................................................

At 5 minutes the author says that apparently 1 million dollars for winning the cod console tourney may put emotional stress on these young players causing them to lash out like this. Lol I think the author was being sarcastic.
  • PistachioPistachio Join Date: 2005-05-26 Member: 52481Members
    It's also worth noting that if the players can routinely cause interruption with outbursts like that and not have it effect the match, that says a lot about the depth of gameplay. Or lack thereof.
  • GorgenapperGorgenapper Join Date: 2012-09-05 Member: 157916Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited March 2013

HAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

It's like saying that beanbag races are the equivalent of Olympic 100m dashes.

1BA83468843FE6C0C19ABBF4281BAC58.JPG

Console FPS gamers. About the same age group, too.
  • LuhgnutLuhgnut Join Date: 2013-03-22 Member: 184203Members
    Oh really..... I quit playing NS simply because I found the whole community in game rude as hell. I loaded the game for first time and since it was new, there were very few games to be found, apparently I found the only server that had players on all sides that were elitist. Screaming into the voice chat about anyone and everyone's "noobiness" and crap. Aftering hearing developers and pundits of the game in the same chat allowing shit talking to other new players, I uninstalled. Only posting here for first time, because I saw the free weekend and saw this comment. Until the community / player base chills the hell out and accepts new players as a godsend to a rather obscure game, it's longevity is going to suffer.
  • dToxdTox Join Date: 2013-03-13 Member: 183939Members
    Luhgnut wrote: »
    Oh really..... I quit playing NS simply because I found the whole community in game rude as hell. I loaded the game for first time and since it was new, there were very few games to be found, apparently I found the only server that had players on all sides that were elitist. Screaming into the voice chat about anyone and everyone's "noobiness" and crap. Aftering hearing developers and pundits of the game in the same chat allowing shit talking to other new players, I uninstalled. Only posting here for first time, because I saw the free weekend and saw this comment. Until the community / player base chills the hell out and accepts new players as a godsend to a rather obscure game, it's longevity is going to suffer.

Or perhaps people on the internet should learn to grow a thicker skin? Hate to tell you buddy but you picked a really bad hobby if you're looking to surround yourself with enlightened intellectuals. You can't change a community only you can change and the best thing you can do is grow a thicker skin. You obviously don't enjoy the game enough if a few bad mannered kids put you off.
  • irEricirEric Join Date: 2012-11-20 Member: 172615Members
    edited March 2013
    hm, i never really looked down on consoles. I always felt it deserved it's own appreciation considering I can't aim well myself with a controller. Just from watching a few videos on youtube you can tell there is some talent. In any given game and console, as long as there is a huge player base there will by a small percentile (0.5%) that are simply the best of the best. A PC player would not be able to challenge a console player on their own turf, and vice versa. Unfortunately for CoD this behavior is being rewarded.

The behavior is contagious tbh. Eye for an eye. It's just instinctive to retaliate against instigators.

Edit: Also it's funny that halfway through the video you see either a coach, sponsor, or possibly a parent reinforce the BM(bad manners). I see this as failure as an adult in his part. A grown-ass man getting caught up in all the negativity of his children. I get that he is sticking up for his kids, but oh so immaturely
  • LuhgnutLuhgnut Join Date: 2013-03-22 Member: 184203Members

Or perhaps people on the internet should learn to grow a thicker skin? Hate to tell you buddy but you picked a really bad hobby if you're looking to surround yourself with enlightened intellectuals. You can't change a community only you can change and the best thing you can do is grow a thicker skin. You obviously don't enjoy the game enough if a few bad mannered kids put you off.

I've been playing video games since before you were born. Trust me on this. This was a game with developers in the chat. I don't need to listen to foul mouthed elitists playing with binary guns, telling me to "grow a pair of balls" during a casual game. Good luck with NS, but I found the Shoot-mania community much more accepting, and courteous.
    Luhgnut wrote: »
    Until the community / player base chills the hell out and accepts new players as a godsend to a rather obscure game, it's longevity is going to suffer.

This is very true.

However, most of the games that I've played have been pretty good, and certainly nothing at all like what's on display in that video. So maybe the player base has chilled out by now. Sorry to hear your experience wasn't as good.

Maybe give it another shot now?
    irEric wrote: »
    A grown-ass man getting caught up in all the negativity of his children. I get that he is sticking up for his kids, but oh so immaturely

Sports parents can be horrible. See any little league game in any town for examples.

No reason to expect that e-sports should be any different.
  • ScardyBobScardyBob ScardyBob Join Date: 2009-11-25 Member: 69528Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    People behaving badly in sporting events has always happened. I think people are just surprised because its something we expect in a football stadium or hockey rink, but not studio for gaming competition.
    dTox wrote: »
    You obviously don't enjoy the game enough if a few bad mannered kids put you off.

There's more than enough games out there. Not one of them is worth putting up with bad-mannered children.

I love NS2, but if all my games were filled with stereotypical foul-mouthed adolescent console players, I'd give it up without the slightest hesitation.
  • ThorondorThorondor Join Date: 2004-07-06 Member: 29745Members
    edited March 2013
    CrazyEddie wrote: »
    irEric wrote: »
    A grown-ass man getting caught up in all the negativity of his children. I get that he is sticking up for his kids, but oh so immaturely

Sports parents can be horrible. See any little league game in any town for examples.

No reason to expect that e-sports should be any different.
    But it usually is. Try to behave like that in a SC2 or LoL tournament and your sponsors leave you before you notice that you are being carried away from the venue.

It must be said, though, that during the recent MLG Dallas event, there was a CoD BO2 tournament, and the players behaved quite nicely.
  • CalegoCalego Join Date: 2013-01-24 Member: 181848Members, NS2 Map Tester
    ScardyBob wrote: »
    People behaving badly in sporting events has always happened. I think people are just surprised because its something we expect in a football stadium or hockey rink, but not studio for gaming competition.

Thing is, this doesn't happen in competitive sports. At least not that I've seen. Refs jump in at the first sign of a fight about to start. Players don't get up after a play and shout at the other team to "suck it."
    This is no different to sports such as football and rugby, where competitive spirit and banter are part of the mind games that take place between teams.
    I'm no connosuier of sports, but from the little I do see, that's not even slightly the case. (Mind you in the US soccer and rugby aren't big so Idk about those sports.

From everything I've seen in the NS2 competitive scene our teams are more than willing to recognize they've been outplayed. And they don't rub it in when they do outplay. Its called sportsmanship. Competitive spirit my foot.

I am very grateful that NS2's vast majority are not like this.
  • meatmachinemeatmachine South England Join Date: 2013-01-06 Member: 177858Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    IM THE BIG FUCKIN DADDY MAN