Build 243 Live on Steam - Natural Selection 2

SystemSystem Join Date: 2013-01-29 Member: 182599Members, Super Administrators, Reinforced - Diamond
edited March 2013 in NS2 General Discussion

imageBuild 243 Live on Steam - Natural Selection 2

Build 243 is now live on Steam. This is a small patch that fixes a bug introduced in 242 as well as speeds up the “compiling shaders” step of the loading process.  Here is the complete change log:

Read the full story here

Comments

• ExoskelettExoskelett Join Date: 2012-12-18 Member: 175509Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    fiiiirst - hopefully not affect the awesome performance of 242 :D
  • ritualsacrificeritualsacrifice Join Date: 2012-11-14 Member: 171148Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    hopefully this fixes the invisible infestation bug.
  • YMICrazyYMICrazy Join Date: 2012-11-02 Member: 165986Members
    Aw yea that was fast.
  • 0+0=00+0=0 Join Date: 2012-03-23 Member: 149263Members
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    Among another one that just popped up randomly.

*glares at the infestation*

Got any more tricks up your sleeve *gets the flamethrower from the shed*
  • ObraxisObraxis Subnautica Animator & Generalist, NS2 Person Join Date: 2004-07-24 Member: 30071Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Silver, WC 2013 - Supporter, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts

It does indeed :)
  • ritualsacrificeritualsacrifice Join Date: 2012-11-14 Member: 171148Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Obraxis wrote: »

It does indeed :)

yesssssss i just encountered it for the first time and it was driving me crazy even if it isn't really that big of a deal xD

• YMICrazyYMICrazy Join Date: 2012-11-02 Member: 165986Members
    Still I wonder why our infestation was messed up. Not a lot of people reported it and the one's that did had different video cards. Either way at least it's gone.
    edited March 2013
    anyone else having trouble using the nsl maps? we can't get them to load on our server and we have a match that's supposed to start right now :(

it's probably just our server, it's usually pretty bad lol but i was j/w
  • MzMzMzMz Join Date: 2006-10-23 Member: 58087Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Supporter
    edited March 2013
  • ObraxisObraxis Subnautica Animator & Generalist, NS2 Person Join Date: 2004-07-24 Member: 30071Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Silver, WC 2013 - Supporter, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts
    Just a remind folks, NS2Stats and other mods will need to be updated first.
  • WheeeeWheeee Join Date: 2003-02-18 Member: 13713Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    woop 400% faster shader compiles
  • RockyMarcRockyMarc Join Date: 2009-11-24 Member: 69519Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Can you see if you are invis in alien vision yet? o_O
  • ComproxComprox *chortle* Canada Join Date: 2002-01-23 Member: 7Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Developer, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
    Still I wonder why our infestation was messed up. Not a lot of people reported it and the one's that did had different video cards. Either way at least it's gone.

@YMICrazy502 It dealt with whether shaders had been recompiled or was a fresh install. Nothing video card specific really.
  • HeadhunT101HeadhunT101 Join Date: 2012-11-11 Member: 169336Members
    Do you guys know if this update may of caused some bugs in stopping mods from working, none of my mods work now, and originally I have had problems were shader mods and even changing the loading spinner wont work unless its installed server side, anyway of updating it so this doesn't happen. Ive worked really hard and for many hours to bring people these mods, and I'd like to make sure they stay working.
  • AsranielAsraniel Join Date: 2002-06-03 Member: 724Members, Playtest Lead, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Retired Community Developer
    i needed 5 minutes to compile shaders before, now its under a minute. i'm happy :D
  • XariusXarius Join Date: 2003-12-21 Member: 24630Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    Thank god for the compiling shader change, definitely welcome with the free weekend coming up, as I think a lot of players would have be appalled by it. (For me it sometimes took a whopping 5 minutes)
  • MiniH0wieMiniH0wie Join Date: 2007-11-25 Member: 63013Members
    RockyMarc wrote: »
    Can you see if you are invis in alien vision yet? o_O

Nope :(
  • JektJekt Join Date: 2012-02-05 Member: 143714Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited March 2013
    Ok, so everytime I open the game and join a server I need to run through compiled updated shaders and precaching EVERY TIME. And it ain't quick, it takes 5+ minutes. During this 5 minutes my CPU usage is at 100% constantly. Typing this I've been stuck on Compiled Updating Shaders at 80% for 4 minutes now and counting. Pretty sure it's actually stuck this time.

During map change myself and at least two others I play with have encountered a common crash to desktop runtime error.

i7 3750k @ 4.4Ghz on 64bit Windows 7.

edit: Was stuck at 80%, using disconnect in console got me back to the main menu where I was still locked at 100% CPU usage. Is NS2 the new top of the art overclock stress test?
  • eliotmateliotmat Join Date: 2002-12-01 Member: 10350Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Thanks for the update, gentlemangs and womangs.

This game keeps getting better and better!
  • GorgenapperGorgenapper Join Date: 2012-09-05 Member: 157916Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Just as a heads up to an otherwise great patch (242 and 243), it appears that some of us (and probably only some of the time) cannot get nanoshield/bone wall/scan to work. Maybe other commander actions are broken too, but I know for certain that nanoshield and scan failed to work for me in a game last night. Admittedly I wasn't commanding (marines) as well as I should have been, and the biggest problem was that I kept losing my second base to gorges and that I should have beaconed for a few of those rushes, but MY GOD the lack of nanoshield and scan was just :( . I could have saved several power nodes for long enough for my team to phase and kill that gorge, but E-D no worky. I could have blasted out nanogrid with my ARCs without needing west junction power.

Also, the after effects of those scans/umbras/enzyme mists remain on the map afterwards. I played another game after that, and we had one guy on the alien team complain about the comm (not me) scanning 20 times in a row when he wasn't even doing so. In fact, even after the aliens took out the power in that part of the map, scans were still 'pinging' continuously just without the noise, and that area of the map never turned dark or red.
  • tarquinbbtarquinbb Join Date: 2012-11-03 Member: 166314Members
    gotta say that there was an unusually large number of people idle in the ready room, presumably taking ages for them to load the map... i don't remember it being that bad before.

although performance has been great for me, faster loading (although not as fast as b240 which was lightning quick), and the framerate seems to have greatly improved - on average about 15fps more than b241.
    Just as a heads up to an otherwise great patch (242 and 243), it appears that some of us (and probably only some of the time) cannot get nanoshield/bone wall/scan to work. Maybe other commander actions are broken too, but I know for certain that nanoshield and scan failed to work for me in a game last night. Admittedly I wasn't commanding (marines) as well as I should have been, and the biggest problem was that I kept losing my second base to gorges and that I should have beaconed for a few of those rushes, but MY GOD the lack of nanoshield and scan was just :( . I could have saved several power nodes for long enough for my team to phase and kill that gorge, but E-D no worky. I could have blasted out nanogrid with my ARCs without needing west junction power.

Also, the after effects of those scans/umbras/enzyme mists remain on the map afterwards. I played another game after that, and we had one guy on the alien team complain about the comm (not me) scanning 20 times in a row when he wasn't even doing so. In fact, even after the aliens took out the power in that part of the map, scans were still 'pinging' continuously just without the noise, and that area of the map never turned dark or red.

Please make sure the server is not running any mods. Try on vanilla servers.
  • GorgenapperGorgenapper Join Date: 2012-09-05 Member: 157916Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Obraxis wrote: »

Please make sure the server is not running any mods. Try on vanilla servers.

Yeah this is possible... it was on the KKG servers, and those are modded (badges, etc, nothing fancy).
  • joshhhjoshhh Milwaukee, WI Join Date: 2011-06-21 Member: 105717Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
    Yeah this is possible... it was on the KKG servers, and those are modded (badges, etc, nothing fancy).

KKG's consistency checker used to break parts of the game like infestation and such. Might be something like that.
  • MiniH0wieMiniH0wie Join Date: 2007-11-25 Member: 63013Members

That's OK, you had two guys that carried your entire team with both of them going something like 86-6.... :-?

I did notice the scan ping that was contanstly going off in Nanogrid, I thought it was strange that you were wasting all that res on little oh me. :) But then I remembered you saying scan wasn't working.
    MiniH0wie wrote: »

That's OK, you had two guys that carried your entire team with both of them going something like 86-6.... :-?

I deny everything! Cease your lies and slander!

But yeah, it was Joe and wallenberg...but it's not like aliens didn't have any good players, otherwise it would have been a straight stomp. Keep in mind too that I was really on the ball with most of the med and ammo requests, if I must say so myself, and those two would have died many times over if I hadn't done my job of medding/ammo them. I wish I could have used nanoshield to keep them both alive even longer for some of the fiercer fights at Overlook though....

When all is said and done, I think I did good on keeping the res flowing (with a great deal of help from people who welded and kept being at those res nodes to bring them back up), and I think I did good on the upgrades (except for not getting GLs/Flamethrowers earlier due to my focus on trying to ARC out nano - before I realized scans were not working)...but I dropped the ball on the early game beacon (I meant to upgrade phase tech, but hit S instead...), and I wasn't keeping a closer eye on my second base in Pipeline that it went down several times.

I mean, I was quick enough to beacon when I saw that final epic 5 gorge rush on Control at the end (and we still lost power anyway)....but the fact of the matter is I screwed up on keeping Pipeline alive... -_-
    I did notice the scan ping that was contanstly going off in Nanogrid, I thought it was strange that you were wasting all that res on little oh me. :) But then I remembered you saying scan wasn't working.

If you don't hear the ping noise, that wasn't a scan that I dropped.
  • ijustpwnedu96ijustpwnedu96 Join Date: 2013-01-27 Member: 182320Members
    Fps improved by 10-20. I can finally fight in late-game now :D