Build 242 Live on Steam - Natural Selection 2

Comments

• omaoma Join Date: 2003-06-04 Member: 17001Members
    edited March 2013
    So how long does a hardcore gamer have to wait for freaking LASTINV and a proper way to bind multiple buttons to do same action? and unbind mousewheel in the controls menu would be nice too so wouldn't need to touch the cfg files.

Updated: I would like to see server browser improvements as well and hopefully a option to show only fps and REMOVE "build xxx" from my view..
  • SewlekSewlek The programmer previously known as Schimmel Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16247Members, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, Subnautica Developer
    edited March 2013
    @crushak its the same code (therefor same problem). but the comm UI will get some love in the future
  • KamamuraKamamura Join Date: 2013-03-06 Member: 183736Members, Reinforced - Gold
    Hooray for the effort, and hooray for optimizations that actually work! (Few projects manage this, usually, as features are added and the code grows in complexity, performance plummets).

I still have to take care of certain bothersome, non-NS2 related stuff - you know, real life and these things, but then I am locking doors and barring windows, and it's off the virtual world of NS2!
  • RadimaXRadimaX Join Date: 2013-02-05 Member: 182840Members
    Loving how you put in the mini tweaks on refinary after all this time, its nice to see them still support and improove the existing maps instead of throwing halfdone maps and dlc content at us just like cod. Descent was good enough on its own and definatly worth waiting for! Now im going to wait patiently for the next map to amaze me :)
  • XaoXao Join Date: 2012-12-12 Member: 174840Members
    edited March 2013
    Descent secret room is p good, hate the refinery change in smelting, those boxes were a god send to clearing out annoying gorges/lerks. FPS is the same, like the water in descent too.

edit: there is also a gorge driving the forklift in the secret room in summit now...
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    You're the first to report finding the room! :)
  • thefonzthefonz Join Date: 2011-06-22 Member: 105847Members
    Xao wrote: »
    Descent secret room is p good, hate the refinery change in smelting, those boxes were a god send to clearing out annoying gorges/lerks. FPS is the same, like the water in descent too.
    IronHorse wrote: »

OT

Does every map have a secret room? Can't find one in tram or refinery RR. :(
  • buhehebuhehe Join Date: 2012-05-15 Member: 152140Members
    thefonz wrote: »
    Xao wrote: »
    IronHorse wrote: »

OT

Does every map have a secret room? Can't find one in tram or refinery RR. :(

Just go noclip mode! (spectator)
  • RoobubbaRoobubba Who you gonna call? Join Date: 2003-01-06 Member: 11930Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    Hats off to UWE: this patch is absolutely great. I feel that there isn't a massive uphill battle as aliens any more, nor is there an easy ride as marines really do stand a great chance unless they're too defensive. The performance improvements are noticeable (I run everything on minimum so I can run natively at 1920x1200), and very, very much appreciated.

The bug with NS2stats also manifests itself in a white map with odd colours, as well - that's a problem with NS2Stats not NS2 at this point, but just so people know if the map is white and you have a weird jump bug as skulk: tell the server op to disable NS2stats. I was just on a french server where the (very helpful) server owner did this, and the games subsequent to that have been really, really balanced and great fun!

Skulking is, for me, a bit more enjoyable than it was in 240 and 241, but the movement still being quite heavy is noticeable and makes it quite annoying at times. I keep meaning to play on public servers more like I do in gathers, ie much more carefully as skulk - for some reason I seem to think I'm indestructible in pubs, which of course leads to horrible deaths all the time. Maybe I need to adapt, but from my perspective, the skulk could use just a little bit more love in the movement area, be that a little more boost from surfaces, a bit more friction and acceleration... I'm not sure, but it's not quite there for me at the moment (but still better than 240).

With that minor criticism of skulk movement aside, I really feel that the game is in a great place right now. Overall, balance feels great. The speed of the snowball for the winning team in early to mid game is still a little high - I'm not sure I can offer any helpful suggestions for how to slow this down during the early game, though. On the whole, it's possible to call too many games from quite early on. That to me seems the major remaining challenge for making the game as enjoyable as it can be. I would like to clarify though: I find NS2 the most enjoyable game I can remember playing. Huge thanks for the continued support, love and care that you're putting into this game post release, UWE. I will continue to recommend NS2 to friends, to buy them copies (and randoms from my steam list, as I have already done!) and put the word out there about the game.
  • eXaeXa Join Date: 2007-09-22 Member: 62400Members
    Just when I found those to be annoying they got fixed :
    Score board will now reset on round start (instead on round end)
    Fixed bug where “Removing old version of mod” would not actually remove the mod from disk.
    \o/
  • ZaggyZaggy NullPointerException The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-12-10 Member: 24214Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Onos, Subnautica Playtester
    I'm looking forward to try this build!

Also, from IRC:
    15:11 <@Align&gt; Brian, Steve, Dushan, Max and Andi have been hard at work making
    the game work better, faster, and with more carrot.
    15:11 <@Align&gt; so what did Charlie do?
  • deathmongerdeathmonger Join Date: 2012-07-06 Member: 153953Members
    Why is it so hard to release a new build without breaking NS2Stats? I don't get it.
  • IndustryIndustry Esteemed Gentleman Join Date: 2010-07-13 Member: 72344Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    Why is it so hard to release a new build without breaking NS2Stats? I don't get it.
    You can't be serious...
  • RoobubbaRoobubba Who you gonna call? Join Date: 2003-01-06 Member: 11930Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow

Why should UWE not make certain changes that improve performance because there's a risk of a third party mod getting broken in the process? UWE should not be hide-bound by other people's additions to the game, it's up to those people to update when breakages happen. There's no blame here, it's one of the things that happens and needs to be dealt with by the creators of NS2stats.
  • MendaspMendasp I touch maps in inappropriate places Valencia, Spain Join Date: 2002-07-05 Member: 884Members, NS1 Playtester, Contributor, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Retired Community Developer
    Because of the way NS2Stats is done this is pretty much impossible.
  • ObraxisObraxis Subnautica Animator & Generalist, NS2 Person Join Date: 2004-07-24 Member: 30071Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Silver, WC 2013 - Supporter, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts

We do not have time to test every build that gets made with NS2Stats. As it's not official, it's up to NS2Stats to keep itself up to date.
  • Racer1Racer1 Join Date: 2002-11-22 Member: 9615Members
    Suggestions have been made to add hooks to NS2, allowing for mods like NS2 stats to work (and be future-compatible). That may happen at some point. Until then, the only way it can work is by making many tweaks throughout the NS2 code. Predictably, some of these are modified when UW makes a release, breaking the mod.
  • GorgenapperGorgenapper Join Date: 2012-09-05 Member: 157916Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    The game feels smoother now...didn't get to play much after the ninja update last night, but I'm hoping that I wasn't seeing things. Do these new cysts show up on obs passive/active scan?
  • oldassgamersoldassgamers Join Date: 2011-02-02 Member: 80033Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
    Thank you for another great patch! :)
  • Samus1111111Samus1111111 Join Date: 2012-08-07 Member: 154930Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Thanks for changing the babblers to never fall off, but you still have hidden numbers. The timer is still a hidden number.

If I'm going to pay for something, it shouldn't disappear until it's killed/destroyed or I die. It's like giving a marine a welder, but having it disappear after 5 minutes because of a hidden timer.
  • statikgstatikg Join Date: 2012-09-19 Member: 159978Members
    Thanks for changing the babblers to never fall off, but you still have hidden numbers. The timer is still a hidden number.

If I'm going to pay for something, it shouldn't disappear until it's killed/destroyed or I die. It's like giving a marine a welder, but having it disappear after 5 minutes because of a hidden timer.

The real question is, how is it that you are contributing so little to the team that you managed to keep your babblers alive for 5 minutes.

• MaximumSquidMaximumSquid Join Date: 2010-07-20 Member: 72593Members
    Being unable to evolve while babblers are clinging to you is surprisingly absent
  • KamamuraKamamura Join Date: 2013-03-06 Member: 183736Members, Reinforced - Gold
    Just tried the 242 build, and the game has been pushed into the unplayable area for me. Not because of client performance - I always had good FPS, but because of the network latency.

While I enjoyed steady 30-40 ms latencies at European (mostly German servers) closest to me with versions 238, 239, version 240 pushed them into the 40-50 range, which was still playable. The latest update made it 60-80 ms on the same servers, where prediction starts to fail and enemy movement is jerky. I can now play only commanders.

I have 20-30 ms latencies in games like Team Fortress or Counterstrike on EU servers, even Arma 2, which is much more complex game, offers better latencies.

So I think I will shelf the game for now, will test new versions if there is improvement, but ... you know.

Had a good fun with the game anyway, so I hope others won't be affected and will continue to enjoy this fine game.
  • rmbrown09rmbrown09 Join Date: 2012-10-17 Member: 162592Members
    statikg wrote: »

The real question is, how is it that you are contributing so little to the team that you managed to keep your babblers alive for 5 minutes.
    Rather:
    How is it that the person he attached them too is doing so little as to keep them alive. Or perhaps how are they so good to as never be shot. Even more extreme has is he such an elusive Gorge as to be forever covered in Babblers amongst a hailstorm of bullets.
    Ad babblers - if you remove the timer on babblers, evident problems will emerge, like increasing number of babblers eventually clogging the network connections to clients. If you remove the timer, you must introduce "max babblers in game" parameter that will result in messages like "sorry, no more babblers possible to spawn, limit reached". It seems much worse to me.
  • SquishpokePOOPFACESquishpokePOOPFACE -21,248 posts (ignore below) Join Date: 2012-10-31 Member: 165262Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    60-80ms is bad? Wow, those must be some crap servers.
  • AaronElAaronEl Join Date: 2009-11-01 Member: 69214Members
    edited March 2013
    Fps is up 50-100%, great work! I'm a worst case scenario and I can say that this update made the game playable again.

Still below 30 fps late game. laptop i7 OC to 2.6 ghz bottlenecking. Over a fan of course.
  • kalakujakalakuja Join Date: 2012-09-11 Member: 159045Members, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter
    can't enzume. can't use hivespikes. Hive doesn't show up in scans.
    OVERALL NICE EFFORT!
  • GorgenapperGorgenapper Join Date: 2012-09-05 Member: 157916Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    kalakuja wrote: »
    can't enzume. can't use hivespikes. Hive doesn't show up in scans.
    OVERALL NICE EFFORT!

What? I was able to enzyme mist/nutrient mist last night, and bone wall worked fine.

• YoungTrotskyYoungTrotsky Join Date: 2007-03-09 Member: 60307Members
    edited March 2013
    With infestation on minimal I don't see any infestation except for a streak across the middle of the screen, it's very distracting but I am loathe to turn on rich infestation. Has anyone else got this or is it just me?

P.S. @kalakuja - I can use enzyme, bonewall and scan hives just fine, maybe something on your client or the server you were playing on. Try to reproduce the problem and then report how you did it, what you said and how you said it was not helpful.