Pistol Script - Another discussion

13»

Comments

• JAMESEARLJONOSJAMESEARLJONOS Join Date: 2012-12-15 Member: 175155Members
    GORGEous wrote: »
    I don't know anyone who adjusts their gamma with respect to NS2.

So coming from a competitive environment, where tons of players pump up their gamma to turn a dark game with awful lighting into a mostly visible game... you don't know a single person who adjusts that critically important setting? A setting that's often set to high even in other FPS games where the lightning is significantly better than NS2? A setting that is legal to change, and would be entirely undetectable if there was ever a boneheaded decision to try to make it illegal? Ok. This is clearly an agree to disagree point in this conversation.

I think that using third party macro programs to remap keys can be considered cheating based on what you are doing with it. To rebind mousewheel to fire so you can effectively pistol script would be considered cheating in my opinion. I haven't given much thought to binding multiple keys to fire, but I don't think it would be as effective as a pistol script regardless.

Driver software that allows you to rebind keyboard/mouse functions != macro programs. Rebinding a key is not a macro, nor is it the definition of a macro. And beyond that, trying to make distinctions on what players can bind keys to based on what advantage it gives is one of the silliest things I've heard in FPS gaming. Because then you put yourself in the sludge of never ending, arbitrary judgment calls on how player X's keybindings offer a potential advantage over player Y - which is why no FPS game has ever ventured into that territory.

• ChrisAUSChrisAUS Join Date: 2012-11-17 Member: 172108Members
    I hate playing against pistol scripts to be honest. As a skulk really sucks when you are able to bait out enough LMG shots to beable to go in confidently, just to get insta-killed by a pistol. I know people can do this legit, but when you know you're being scripted against it's frustrating.

Top tier SC tournaments enforce 1 key 1 command rule. Buttons cannot do 1 function on press, and 1 on release.

IMO it's not upto UWE to come out and enforce law over the whole community, just like they don't want to do with mods. I think their stance is they provide the tools to do alot of stuff inside the game and the community has to police itself. Tournaments need to provide their rules and police them. Pistol scripts in competitive tournaments are something that can be policed, because they all seem to make that recognisable sound at the moment. I've heard there is a workaround for fluro models but there are ways to stop that if people are serious about running a fair tournament under a standard set of rules.
  • -WildCat--WildCat- Cape Town, South Africa Join Date: 2008-07-19 Member: 64664Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    The idea of a fully automatic pistol doesn't sit well with me. I don't think it would "feel" right. I don't particularly like how the fully automatic pistol in TF2 feels.

I actually like the shoot-as-fast-as-you-can-click mechanic. I wish that, somehow, every NS2 player in the world could agree to not exploit it with "scripts" or whatever people use. *Sigh* I guess this is one of those cases of "This is why we can't have nice things".

I personally haven't found this to be a problem but, if people think it's such a big deal, then perhaps reduce the maximum rate of fire to somewhere around the speed that the average person can click while holding the mouse normally (not doing the tensed arm vibration thing). Similar to the maximum rate of fire of the Dual Barettas in Counter-Strike: Global Offensive.
  • GORGEousGORGEous Join Date: 2012-02-19 Member: 146762Members, NS2 Map Tester

So coming from a competitive environment, where tons of players pump up their gamma to turn a dark game with awful lighting into a mostly visible game... you don't know a single person who adjusts that critically important setting? A setting that's often set to high even in other FPS games where the lightning is significantly better than NS2? A setting that is legal to change, and would be entirely undetectable if there was ever a boneheaded decision to try to make it illegal? Ok. This is clearly an agree to disagree point in this conversation.

I think that using third party macro programs to remap keys can be considered cheating based on what you are doing with it. To rebind mousewheel to fire so you can effectively pistol script would be considered cheating in my opinion. I haven't given much thought to binding multiple keys to fire, but I don't think it would be as effective as a pistol script regardless.

Driver software that allows you to rebind keyboard/mouse functions != macro programs. Rebinding a key is not a macro, nor is it the definition of a macro. And beyond that, trying to make distinctions on what players can bind keys to based on what advantage it gives is one of the silliest things I've heard in FPS gaming. Because then you put yourself in the sludge of never ending, arbitrary judgment calls on how player X's keybindings offer a potential advantage over player Y - which is why no FPS game has ever ventured into that territory.

Driver software allows you to create pistol scripts. If mouse driver software came preinstalled with aimbots, would that also be okay? Just because it's "driver software" doesn't mean it's ok.

I think we agree that it's impossible for players to define (and agree on) the line. That's why UWE should design mechanics that do not allow for the lines to be blurred.
    Driver software allows you to create pistol scripts. If mouse driver software came preinstalled with aimbots, would that also be okay? Just because it's "driver software" doesn't mean it's ok.

Remapping a key really isn't analgous to an aimbot :P
    I think we agree that it's impossible for players to define (and agree on) the line. That's why UWE should design mechanics that do not allow for the lines to be blurred.

Agreed. The arguments previous in the thread are entirely irrelevant to this key, critical fact. The pistol mechanic should be reworked into something that makes discussions like these moot.

• Wonderboy2402Wonderboy2402 Join Date: 2011-08-28 Member: 118911Members
    I just did some testing. You certainly can't call it hacking or modding. It is using software common in alot of mouse or keyboards. And there definitely needs to be some hard coded delay in the rate of fire for the pistol.
  • CrazyEddieCrazyEddie Join Date: 2013-01-08 Member: 178196Members
    CrazyEddie wrote: »
    You can't adjust your gamma within the confines of NS2. You need an outside program to do it. Which, by your standards, would be cheating.

Good luck selling that one to the competitive community.

You can adjust gamma directly on a bunch of different monitors as well, without interacting with the PC on any level.

My mouse came with a rapid-fire button out-of-the-box. It required no more interaction with the PC than your monitor did: plugging it in.

GORGEous' point about full-auto pistol was that it wasn't done "within the confines of NS2". Neither is high gamma. Presumably, his contention is that if the developers didn't give you a way to fire your pistol full-auto with one keypress, then anything else that lets you do that is cheating. In other words, the developers' intent determines what is and isn't legal. The developers obviously intended NS2 to be dark and for your targets to be hard to see. Turning up your gamma - by any method - clearly violates that intent, and thus by GORGEous' standards would be cheating.

I actually think turning up your gamma removes an important part of gameplay and makes the game worse. But I wouldn't call it cheating, and I don't really care whether other people do it or not. By contrast, I think using pistol scripts (or my mouse) removes an unimportant part of gameplay and makes the game better.
  • TerranigmaTerranigma Join Date: 2010-04-03 Member: 71158Members
    edited March 2013
    Using 3rd-party scripts in order to do things in-game you usually cannot do is, from my perspective, cheating. I think that's the definition I would use; using 3rd-party means in order to unlock possibilites you usually cannot access is cheating. You, just like anyone, can turn up the gama in the options-menu of the game. That's fair play, I think. I dislike and I do not do it, as I favour the atmosphere more than efficiency but everyone is free to do it. Using scrips, though, is not part of the options and only accessable due 3rd-party tools. I think that's as close to cheating as you can get.

People might argue that it removes an unpleasant part of the game but then again, you could use the same for all kind of cheats. They remove neccesary parts of gameplay - like aiming, clicking the mouse repeatly, etc. - in order to deskill the overall gaming experience. I would call it cheating. Or exploit. I guess it's easy to solve but well, I suppose the devs have so far just not considered it to be important. Personally, I have never found it to be a problem but well, if something should be done about the pistol ...

... I see the following possibilities:

1) Turn the pistol into a full-automatic weapon. Personally, I dislike this approach as it would turn the pistol into just another LMG, as several people have stated already. In that case, you could just add another 10 bullets to the LMG, that wouldn't feel nearly as redundant.

2) Give the pistol a maximum ROF. I agree here. Actually, I'd always felt that the pistol was a bit lackluster. It is no bad weapon but it does not feel very powerful. The sound is fine, the look is fine but then again, I'd love the idea to turn the pistol into a precise, slow firing weapon with moderate damage. Something similiar to the Desert Eagle you find in several Shooters. Limited clipsize, slow rate of fire but precise and, if you hit, very rewarding as you know "BAMM! That hurt!".

If the pistol should be changed in one way, I'd love the idea to turn it into something similiar to the Desert Eagle as it is implemented in several shooters. This weapon usually feels right; hard to hit, due to the slow rate of fire, but if you hit it casts a smile on your face.
  • Angry ChildAngry Child Join Date: 2012-12-05 Member: 174256Members
    Scripts and honestly any "outside of game" adjustments that provide you an advantage are practically cheating, but moreso, are not honest measurements of skill,

People who tout around that they use these elements because they are just "smarter than everyone else to figure them out" are deluding themselves and should realize they are just presenting a false presentation of their actual skills, which would be very low withiout their crutches tacked on.

Ofcourse you can't REALLY stop any of these instances, but it should be pointed out intentionally increasing your gamma, to be better in NS2 and things of the sort are pathetic, and should not be expected in a real competitive environment.

You are twisting a skill based sport into the arena of performance at any cost, its analogous to using steroids in baseball, its just sad.
  • FrothybeverageFrothybeverage Join Date: 2003-02-15 Member: 13593Members
    All it boils down to is people wanting to be good at a video game.
    This isn't really all that different than people wanting to be good at sports.

You use every advantage you can get, if you're serious enough.
    Some of these advantages are dubious, and others are outright illegal(See: Steroid use in professional sports).
  • BentRingBentRing Join Date: 2003-03-04 Member: 14318Members
    At least there's no recoil in this game so we don't have to worry about a bloody v7 mouse debate. ;)

On a serious note, I like the tf2 pistol style but I don't really care enough to argue the issue one way or another.
  • CrazyEddieCrazyEddie Join Date: 2013-01-08 Member: 178196Members
    Terranigma wrote: »
    You, just like anyone, can turn up the gama in the options-menu of the game.
    You can't do that in NS2. The developers didn't include gamma adjustments in the game options.
    Using 3rd-party scripts in order to do things in-game you usually cannot do is, from my perspective, cheating. I think that's the definition I would you; using 3rd-party means in order to unlock possibilites you usually cannot access is cheating.
    You also can't change your crosshairs without using a third-party mod. By your criteria, that would be cheating. But changing crosshairs is widely accepted by NS2 players as "legal".

You might wish to consider more deeply what kinds of things you consider cheating, and why.

Scripts and honestly any "outside of game" adjustments that provide you an advantage are practically cheating, but moreso, are not honest measurements of skill
    I realize you probably weren't addressing me, but for the record, I don't play games to measure skill.
    Ofcourse you can't REALLY stop any of these instances, but it should be pointed out intentionally increasing your gamma, to be better in NS2 and things of the sort are pathetic, and should not be expected in a real competitive environment.
    In the defense of people who play with cranked gamma, the skills that they are interested in measuring don't include visually identifying dark objects against dark backgrounds. I don't know why they all chose this particular combination of skills to measure, but choose it they did. I wouldn't call it pathetic, any more so than, say, curling. It's just what they want to do.
  • RockyMarcRockyMarc Join Date: 2009-11-24 Member: 69519Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Buy yourself a good mouse and it makes a huge difference.
    I have a Razer mouse and it's clicking is so much more faster than my old standard Microsoft mouse.
  • ScardyBobScardyBob ScardyBob Join Date: 2009-11-25 Member: 69528Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    Zek wrote: »
    Again, that's not the end of the conversation. The TF2 pistol fires at a rate of .17 - and yet, Valve still chose to add automatic firing later on because they acknowledged the harmful impact of pistol scripts. Anyone can click the mouse button super fast, but doing so with steady aim is extremely difficult, whereas with a script it's effortless.
    The pistol currently has an empty alt-fire action. Why not make it:
    - Primary fire = Semi automatic
    - Secondary fire = Fully automatic

Then adjust the damage and reload time to balance.
  • Kei-chanKei-chan Join Date: 2013-01-20 Member: 180898Members
    Pistol scripts are cheating. Fix it.

What Jonos said goes too, but I think adjusting the max RoF would fix either exploit.
  • turtsmcgurtturtsmcgurt Join Date: 2012-11-01 Member: 165456Members, Reinforced - Supporter

who needs to adjust gamma when you could have the black equalizer!
  • RockyMarcRockyMarc Join Date: 2009-11-24 Member: 69519Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Bringing back memories of The Blair Witch.. *spews*
  • GlissGliss Join Date: 2003-03-23 Member: 14800Members, Constellation, NS2 Map Tester
    edited March 2013
    that looks really incredible but I wish the guy considered investing in this technology known as the tripod

I guess it pretty much highlights how silly of a mechanic darkness and vision obscuration is when there is basically a straight up hardware advantage

are there many any other games that have vision obscuration as a primary balancing factor ?

that is probably 100x more significant than pistol scripts ever would be as far as NS2 is concerned but it's also a $389 monitor so I guess that issue will come when a good player decides to get one
    RockyMarc wrote: »
    Bringing back memories of The Blair Witch.. *spews*

@RockyMarc
    Completely off topic, but Lord Soth is awesome.
    Gliss wrote: »
    that looks really incredible but I wish the guy considered investing in this technology known as the tripod

I guess it pretty much highlights how silly of a mechanic darkness and vision obscuration is when there is basically a straight up hardware advantage

are there many any other games that have vision obscuration as a primary balancing factor ?

that is probably 100x more significant than pistol scripts ever would be as far as NS2 is concerned but it's also a $389 monitor so I guess that issue will come when a good player decides to get one

I have that monitor, and it actually has another really significant benefit: zero motion blur.

http://www.techngaming.com/home/guide/tips/updated-eliminate-motion-blur-while-gaming-with-nvidia-lightboost-r485

Monitor is kind of a huge component nowadays.

• turtsmcgurtturtsmcgurt Join Date: 2012-11-01 Member: 165456Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    Gliss wrote: »

It's been the "best 120hz" monitor for quite a while, i'm sure more players have it than expected.
  • XaoXao Join Date: 2012-12-12 Member: 174840Members

zzz I know you're not this stupid even for the sake of playing devils advocate, all scripting/macro programs are called that because they are primarily used for performing repetitious game movements/commands over and over and over again so a human doesn't have to, see WoW fishing. NS2 has almost specifically blocked certain binds from becoming available like jump/fire on mousewheel and I'd dare say it was for a reason, they've obviously not up to par with todays programming of using script/macro programs being used in just about everything.

At no point did gorgeous say re binding a key is cheating on its own, he said it's based on what you are doing with it. A pistol script can either fire in blocks or auto fire for as long as the button/key is held, it performs a repetitious command over and over and over again, in this case mouse1 10 times in the span of half a second so the person doesn't have to, you are literally not playing the game at this point a script is, you just have to line your pistol up once like a shotgun/rail gun shot and hold autofire and track for mnxxththhh of a second and hit 4+ pistol shots, it's not even remotely skillful or fair for non script users to play against.

Some dude probably bought that MLGAMING mouse that incorporates basic macro program function into a gui on their mouse drivers and add another $20-30 to the mouse price and, although sad lets you know what people do for an advantage over others.
    edited March 2013
    Kouji_San wrote: »
    Heck after emptying the NS2 pistol in that video my hand did feel the strain, you simply can't keep that up indefinitely :P
    Yeah, you can.

Muscle memory/stamina.
    It's no different than playing a guitar, or bass.
    You have to build/train up the muscles to prevent them from getting tired.

• |strofix||strofix| Join Date: 2012-11-01 Member: 165453Members
    I find the biggest giveaway of a scripter to not always be fire rate, but consistency. Firing close to once every 0.1 seconds has the nasty habit of causing your hand to freeze up after about 3-4 shots. Players who fire exactly one bullet every x milliseconds are probably scripting.
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited March 2013
    |strofix| wrote: »
    I find the biggest giveaway of a scripter to not always be fire rate, but consistency. Firing close to once every 0.1 seconds has the nasty habit of causing your hand to freeze up after about 3-4 shots. Players who fire exactly one bullet every x milliseconds are probably scripting.
    Not sure about this, but what with it being called "scripting", I bet it is indeed possible to add a random modifier to the firing interval, right?

• |strofix||strofix| Join Date: 2012-11-01 Member: 165453Members
    |strofix| wrote: »
    Not sure, but what with "scripting" I bet it is indeed possible to add a random modifier to the firing interval, right?

I'm sure it would be, but it kind of defeats the point if every shot is not fired at maximum refire rate. I think the interval would need to be in excess of 0.05 seconds for a human to identify it though, which puts the shots into the territory of borderline slow.

Anyway, in that big tournament thing that was held a few weeks ago, it was plain to see that players were pistol scripting even in the last stages of the deciding rounds. The official stance was made quite clear, as the referees did absolutely nothing about it.
    Randomness in games lowers the skill gap.
    I'd rather there was a hard limit to the firing rate than a random change your shot wouldn't go, clicking to no effect is frustrating at best.
  • ZxaberZxaber Join Date: 2010-07-29 Member: 73315Members
    edited March 2013
    Not sure about this, but what with it being called "scripting", I bet it is indeed possible to add a random modifier to the firing interval, right?
    I don't know the optimal fire rate off the top of my head, so here's an example AutoHotKey script that would use a random delay of 50-100 milliseconds. Trigger would be mouse4 (referenced as mousex1 in AHK).
    rannum = 0
    loop{
    	keywait, mousex1, d
    	while (A_Index < 11) {
    		random, rannum, 50, 100
    		sleep, %rannum%
    		click
    	}
    }

To get the truly optimal fire rate, you'd probably want to calculate how long each command takes. Specifically the random command. As for a solution, I agree with TF2's final solution, which was a fire rate cap.
  • OhnojojoOhnojojo Join Date: 2011-08-01 Member: 113400Members
    I just got accused of having a pistol script.
    Funny thing is, my mouse is broken.
    Sometimes it clicks twice for every one click. other times it stops holding a click for no reason.
    This results in my LMG becoming a burst fire weapon, or more often, it simulates a poorly maintained gun jamming.
    However, with the pistol. I'm able to unload my entire clip VERY quickly. tradeoffs I guess... I wish I could click and drag....