A TRUE Autobalance?

CodeCowboyCodeCowboy Join Date: 2012-09-21 Member: 160235Members
Someone mentioned in one game I was in that there is a mod which balances teams based on past round score... so that the top two scorers are on opposite teams, etc.

It seems to me that this or a ranking system could be used to accomplish the same thing. It would be great if this was in the game natively. If not, does anyone know the name of that mod?

Comments

• MaximumSquidMaximumSquid Join Date: 2010-07-20 Member: 72593Members
    edited March 2013
    CodeCowboy:

There are probably too many factors to consider when trying to balance a random group of players

What if one team ends up all the good commanders?
    What if the two best commanders get separated, but one decides that he/she doesn't want to comm this game?
    What if Aliens end up with no skilled Lerks or Fades?
    What if Marines team is full of players that scored high destroying buildings last game, but have terrible aim?
    What about friends that team up and dominate, but don't do half as well with random pubbies?

Even with all the information and the best analysis of different team combinations it still likely to be a one sided game

Any mod attempting it would have to be scored on a per map basis for it to be even up to my standards to try it since strats vary so much
  • ChitownFreezeChitownFreeze Join Date: 2008-03-29 Member: 63994Members, Constellation
    edited March 2013
    CodeCowboy:
    There are probably too many factors to consider when trying to balance a random group of players

The mod OP is referring to existed in NS1 and was installed on a few servers back in the day. It featured dynamic balancing, so it switched players from one side to the other DURING the game, not before. The commander was not affected (back when only marines had a commander). If one side was getting all of the kills, the mod would choose two players, one from each side, to switch. It would choose one from the top of the scoreboard of the "better" team, and then one from the bottom of the "lesser" team. It would make this switch as many times as necessary until the kills started to even out. This mod existed, and it worked as-advertised.
  • SquishpokePOOPFACESquishpokePOOPFACE -21,248 posts (ignore below) Join Date: 2012-10-31 Member: 165262Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Except now there is a PRES economic model, so such team-swapping during the game would be a disaster.
  • GORGEousGORGEous Join Date: 2012-02-19 Member: 146762Members, NS2 Map Tester
    CodeCowboy:

The mod OP is referring to existed in NS1 and was installed on a few servers back in the day. It featured dynamic balancing, so it switched players from one side to the other DURING the game, not before. The commander was not affected (back when only marines had a commander). If one side was getting all of the kills, the mod would choose two players, one from each side, to switch. It would choose one from the top of the scoreboard of the "better" team, and then one from the bottom of the "lesser" team. It would make this switch as many times as necessary until the kills started to even out. This mod existed, and it worked as-advertised.

That sounds downright god awful.
  • SavantSavant Join Date: 2002-11-30 Member: 10289Members, NS1 Playtester, Contributor
    I actually remember playing on those NS1 servers and yes it was IN-GAME swaps since it happened to me quite often on those servers.
    Squishpoke wrote: »
    Except now there is a PRES economic model, so such team-swapping during the game would be a disaster.
    Not necessarily, but it would certainly make it more complicated. Yes it would be possible for a player on a team that had better res inflow would end up with more res than the people on his team. If aliens are owning it up and one player has 50 res and gets team switched, he could grab an EXO even though the marine with the most res only has perhaps 43 res. Is it game breaking...? meh. The res flow from res nodes isn't fast enough to make too much of an imbalance. (unless the game is REALLY stacked in which case it won't matter since the weaker team will get rolled either way.)

Frankly, team switches would probably do more damage from an intel perspective than anything.

What might be better would be to take these temporary player ratings and apply them to the next round. If a player tries to join a team that is 'stacked' then it will pop up a message saying "team is stacked, choose opposite team or wait for more to join."

• WhiteWeaselWhiteWeasel Join Date: 2012-11-25 Member: 173197Members
    Has NS2 devolved to the point of:
  • ScardyBobScardyBob ScardyBob Join Date: 2009-11-25 Member: 69528Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    edited March 2013
    This seems appropriate (start at 34s):
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    GORGEous wrote: »
    CodeCowboy:

Indeed not only the player switching, but the information they take with them. Locations of "hidden" things, plans or upgrades and such.
  • NeokenNeoken Bruges, Belgium Join Date: 2004-03-20 Member: 27447Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Playtester
    Kouji_San wrote: »
    GORGEous wrote: »
    CodeCowboy:

Indeed not only the player switching, but the information they take with them. Locations of "hidden" things, plans or upgrades and such.

Not to mention the fact that being teamswitched mid game just sucks big time.

But I do like the idea of balancing teams after the game is over, based on the scores. Not perfect, but still superior to a basic randomise.
  • Apreche2Apreche2 Join Date: 2012-08-06 Member: 154849Members
    I've mentioned it in other threads. Make NS2Stats a part of the default server package. Then put an API on NS2Stats so the server can autobalance the teams using that information. Lastly, make servers default to random teams, and require a vote to disable random teams if players want to choose. Obviously server admins can configure otherwise, but that should be the settings for an unmodded server and the official servers.
  • frantixfrantix Join Date: 2013-03-18 Member: 184063Members, WC 2013 - Supporter
    edited March 2013
    What Pampelmuse says is true. Why would I want to see who joined one team? Only because I can join the team with the better players. Friends can still talk to each other to join the same team.

Another important and obvious reason for stacking, I hope this was already considered: People are only able to stack so hard because you can "spam" the join command and get the team you want. By spaming it in console or going in and out of the "join area", experienced players chose the stronger team, while unexperienced players (who don't know how to join a team THIS way) can only pick the other, weaker team.

At least, take this mechanic out. If 80% of the players want to join a specific team, let it decide by chance. This way, SOME good players will HAVE to join the other, weaker team.
  • soccerguy243soccerguy243 Join Date: 2012-12-22 Member: 175920Members, WC 2013 - Supporter
    Pampelmuse wrote: »
    Being forced into a random side is something i do not like, especially when i play with friends.
    Why not hide the player names of those players that already picked a team.
    Once the games starts, all names are revealed again.

Anti stacking would solve most of the balance issues..
    except a quick message on steam, or voice chat via ventrillo or teamspeak would defeat that. hell even a txt msg would too.

Being forced into a random side is something i do not like, especially when i play with friends.

That is a genius idea. However, just disabling the tab/score screen in the RR is not enough. People can go spectator, press F4, and then join. Or they can join a team, F4 and then join. You have to disable the score screen until the actual game start.

On top of that, I can see player names while in the RR just by looking at people. Unless everyone joins with console you can watch to see what door players walk through or what door has a bunch of players standing in it. That means you need to hide all player names in the RR.
  • B3rTB3rT Join Date: 2013-02-14 Member: 183058Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited March 2013
    Apreche2 wrote: »

That is a genius idea. However, just disabling the tab/score screen in the RR is not enough. People can go spectator, press F4, and then join. Or they can join a team, F4 and then join. You have to disable the score screen until the actual game start.

On top of that, I can see player names while in the RR just by looking at people. Unless everyone joins with console you can watch to see what door players walk through or what door has a bunch of players standing in it. That means you need to hide all player names in the RR.

You can't hide the names after you joined a side, because you need to know if a known troll commander goes into the command station!

And People still can F4 after the round has started!
  • CrazyEddieCrazyEddie Join Date: 2013-01-08 Member: 178196Members
    I've mentioned it in other threads. Make NS2Stats a part of the default server package. Then put an API on NS2Stats so the server can autobalance the teams using that information. Lastly, make servers default to random teams, and require a vote to disable random teams if players want to choose. Obviously server admins can configure otherwise, but that should be the settings for an unmodded server and the official servers.
    Using stats from NS2Stats to balance teams is a very good idea. It would be even better if UWE implemented it themselves, as they'd have access to full stats from all servers, but using NS2Stats would be a good starting point to demonstrate that the idea has merit.

Even with stats to balance teams, random allocation to teams is a bad idea. People want to play with their friends, and people want to play on specific teams, and they want this often enough that it should be the default. A better solution would be something like the soft matchmaking system I suggested here.
    Another idea would be a draft mod. Team captains would be selected and then the captains would pick teams in the ready room like schoolyard kickball. Of course, the captain that gets the second pick also gets the third pick to balance the power of the first pick.
  • B3rTB3rT Join Date: 2013-02-14 Member: 183058Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Another idea would be a draft mod. Team captains would be selected and then the captains would pick teams in the ready room like schoolyard kickball. Of course, the captain that gets the second pick also gets the third pick to balance the power of the first pick.

I don't know if i like this idea. On the one side it could get some balanced teams. On the other side, I want to choose which side I play! (I don't want to play one side all the time, just because I get picked by the Marine leader all the time ...).

Oh and there needs to be a time-limit for choosing, or a troll leader (yeah, we created a new troll species!) could delay a game forever!

• _Necro__Necro_ Join Date: 2011-02-15 Member: 81895Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Mhh... I think, somebody here got always picked last... ;P
  • ScardyBobScardyBob ScardyBob Join Date: 2009-11-25 Member: 69528Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    That's basically how the ENSL Gather system works. The only issue is when the captains don't know the skill levels of the players, which can produce imbalanced teams as the captains choose people they know over the best players. Only way to make this work in a public setting is to provide the captains with player stats (e.g. ELO-rating, W/L, KDR, etc).
  • WyzcrakWyzcrak Pot Pie Aficionado Join Date: 2002-12-04 Member: 10447Forum Moderators, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    Both of the TacticalGamer.com NS2 servers have offerings similar (in spirit) to two of those discussed in this thread:

1) We track the Win/Loss records of every player on our server, and we typically use that data to form teams, placing the scariest players, statistically, against each other. When regulars are most of the server's population, the entertainment provided by this distribution is noticeably better than "random". Teams are dictated at game start, never during game.

2) When our regulars-to-strangers ratio is high enough, we enable a "Captains Games" mod. Two captains (who have volunteered) choose teams, fat-kid-last style (<3), and we play two rounds, switching sides between. It's familiar to many, and it's a great compromise between casual and competitive play, while it lasts.

Both of our 8v8, rookie-friendly, community servers have reserved slots (purchased or earned), demand teamwork and the ability to hear voicecomm, and invite the best and worst skilled who can and do (generally) treat players nicely regardless.