Build 242 Beta Open - Natural Selection 2

124»

Comments

• HamletHamlet Join Date: 2008-08-17 Member: 64837Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited March 2013
    For the developers it must feel really tiresome to have to explain again and again why you do these Beta tests and what the benefits of unspecific (broader) testing are.
    I suggest a big time saver:
    Copy and paste your explanations from this thread (and last time) and weave them into the beta build like a MOTD on a server.
    So when people opt-in and fire up the NS2beta, they are first greeted with a message from you

In this welcome message you:
    a) repeat the most important arguments FOR beta testing and your chosen way of doing so. Make it short and simple so everybody can understand, even if they are not native English speakers
    b) instruct people HOW to best report dem bugs (@Grizeen: good call. I just noticed that I have no idea where the logs are saved or how to export the console readings)
    c) thank the beta testers for participating

Voilà. Loads of time and nerves saved.
  • Madd0gMadd0g Join Date: 2012-12-24 Member: 176116Members
    So if i update to 242 and later on i decide to go back to 241,would it be enought to just change the settings in "beta" tab and would the game automaticly download 241 again?
    If i can go between the 2 builds without having to download the hole game every single time,than i would deffinetly participate.
  • YMICrazyYMICrazy Join Date: 2012-11-02 Member: 165986Members
    Madd0g wrote: »
    So if i update to 242 and later on i decide to go back to 241,would it be enought to just change the settings in "beta" tab and would the game automaticly download 241 again?
    If i can go between the 2 builds without having to download the hole game every single time,than i would deffinetly participate.

Well you can do that. But it downloads a small patch every time you switch back and forth. It's 46.6 MB to go back to 241 and 95.2 MB for 242.
    Madd0g wrote: »

Well you can do that. But it downloads a small patch every time you switch back and forth. It's 46.6 MB to go back to 241 and 95.2 MB for 242.
    Well aslong as it's under 100mb it's fine really.
    It would be a problem if i have to download 4-5gb every time though :D
    Thx for answer.
  • eXaeXa Join Date: 2007-09-22 Member: 62400Members
    edited March 2013
    I played an hour on 242 with no crash or bug except the issue I have since gorgeous and it's still here on 242b, sometimes I can't get the menu to show I press Esc and nothing happens I have to either type disconnect on the console or go in the comm/hive and then I can press esc. I tried to re-install the game, delete user files and disable mods but it's still broken.
    I can get the menu in:
    Hive
    Comm Chair
    Ready Room
    But not as a regular player

Anyone having the same issue ?
    Date: 03/17/13
    Time: 12:58:04
    Build 242
    Steam initialized
    Render Device: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560 Ti (9.18.13.1421)
    Sound Device: Haut-parleur (SB X-Fi Surround 5.1) 5.1
    Record Device: Desktop Microphone (2- Cinema - Microsoft LifeCam.)
    Loading config://ConsoleBindings.json
    Loading config://FavoriteServers.json
    Main Menu Initialized at Version: 242
    Steam Id: 28083505
    Connected to Steam servers
    Downloading mods
    Finished downloading and installing mods
    Mounting mod from H:/Steam/steamapps/common/Natural Selection 2/explore/
    Connecting to server 127.0.0.1:27015
    Client connecting (127.0.0.1)
    VAC Enabled
    Loading config://ServerConfig.json
    Loading config://ServerAdmin.json
    Loading config://BannedPlayers.json
    Loading config://MapCycle.json
    Loading config://ConsistencyConfig.json
    Hashed 1 game_setup.xml files for consistency
    Hashed 698 *.lua files for consistency
    Hashed 36 *.fx files for consistency
    Hashed 15 *.screenfx files for consistency
    Hashed 114 *.surface_shader files for consistency
    Hashed 3 *.fxh files for consistency
    Hashed 3 *.render_setup files for consistency
    Hashed 2 *.shader_template files for consistency
    Loading 'maps/ns2_summit.level'
    Error: Failed to add an obstacle - no tile cache!
    Building pathing mesh for level maps/ns2_summit.level
  • ezayezay Join Date: 2013-03-11 Member: 183899Members
    What? Rewrite that in English.

That was perfectly understandable.
    Umm is it just me or is there only 4 servers and not A SINGLE person in them?
  • eXaeXa Join Date: 2007-09-22 Member: 62400Members
    edited March 2013
    You didn't read the topic Madd0g it's normal just some servers are on 242 and a few players, don't go beta if you don't understand what it means
  • ObraxisObraxis Subnautica Animator & Generalist, NS2 Person Join Date: 2004-07-24 Member: 30071Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Silver, WC 2013 - Supporter, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts
    Remember how you couldn't attack as any class if you had babblers attached to you? How the fuck does that get by the playtesters, rofl. That tells me that not a single play tester put babblers on themselves, or anyone.

basically... show a tad bit more effort, imo.

You are more than welcome to apply to the Playtest group to help in our efforts. Bear in mind, we put in about 4-6 hours of playtesting every week night, I hope you're ready for some 'serious effort'. Please apply here: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/viewform?formkey=dEVyVlRkUDRibHNXQWM2MHFXWXBwVkE6MQ#gid=0

And about the Babbler, sometimes bugs only show up in the FINAL build. We test over 4 builds every playtest (up to 5 nights a week) and it's not humanly possibly to test every feature, every button of every unit in the game, for every potential build that is made.
    eXa wrote: »
    You didn't read the topic Madd0g it's normal just some servers are on 242 and a few players, don't go beta if you don't understand what it means
    I do understand what beta is very well and i have been part of many betas.
    I knew there is going to be way less servers and players testing the build.
    But i am just a little bit curies how am i suppose to test the game by myself,without having a SINGLE player online?
  • GrizeenGrizeen Join Date: 2013-03-17 Member: 184036Members
    let's stop complaining and just center this on how you'd like us to submit the issues and how to (a lot of people don't know where the logs hide in the files, or even how to start them).
  • durdenns2durdenns2 Join Date: 2013-01-30 Member: 182634Members
    edited March 2013
    I'm not sure if it's appropriate to post here, but skulk momentum feels like it has the same bugged movement from build 240.
    EDIT: Or i'm just high right now.
  • HamletHamlet Join Date: 2008-08-17 Member: 64837Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    @Maddog: Ehm... just invite some friends and check it out together?
    Hamlet wrote: »
    @Maddog: Ehm... just invite some friends and check it out together?

I got about 2-3 friends playing right now.
    Still not enought for a test.
    Maybe OP should set some test time in which we should all gather and test it out.
    Something like friday at 7pm CET time?
    After all,this is a build that focuses mainly on optimization in mid and late game.
    To test it well we would need atleast 16+ people in the server.

Btw i am curies,why dont UWE just test the new build in just one or two modded servers,which should show up without having to patch the game or anything.
    This way more people would be able to easily see and join those servers if they want.
    Is it more time consuming to make it like that?
  • AsranielAsraniel Join Date: 2002-06-03 Member: 724Members, Playtest Lead, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Retired Community Developer
    Because the new patch is not just a mod (which can have modified lua and art) but also needs a new executable, which a modded server can not change
  • BigImpBigImp Join Date: 2010-11-19 Member: 75036Members, NS2 Playtester, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
    edited March 2013
    Bug in 241 (and I think 242 beta):
    Voting to concede then pressing F4 (going to ready room) more or less counts like voting to concede twice.

I did this twice... first time, we had afk players and were almost done (down to one tech point)... we needed one more vote to concede, and when I hit F4, the team surrendered immediately. I tried it again a few games later, and it worked again when we had one more vote needed to concede. Basically, when the player leaves, the number of votes needed to concede goes down, but the number of votes made isn't going down when it should.

Possible related bug (untested): voting concede, going to ready room, rejoining team, voting concede, going to ready room, rejoining team, etc. I think this would work, the way things are calculated now.
  • BigImpBigImp Join Date: 2010-11-19 Member: 75036Members, NS2 Playtester, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
    Oh and since we're reporting crashes, alt-tabbing is inconsistent... I'd say it crashes 60-70% of the time. Wish that didn't happen, though I guess that deters AFKers.