So many aimbotters

Comments

• WillzZzWillzZz Join Date: 2013-01-31 Member: 182667Members
    Remember, if you run straight at a marine and he kills you, he's a cheater. I've played 8248384 hours, so I know what I'm talking about. I can tell by some of the pixels.
  • deathshrouddeathshroud Join Date: 2010-04-10 Member: 71291Members
    edited March 2013
    i get accused of aim boting and pistol scripting
  • hakenspithakenspit Join Date: 2010-11-26 Member: 75300Members
    Thank you ironhorse, a lot of people try to totally deny the existence of hacks, having you say that are indeed out there confirms what a lot of us have known for a while.

Whilst there may not be a lot of them...they sure can get around and share their love...I mean hacking.

• DoY_DeAdMeAtDoY_DeAdMeAt Join Date: 2007-03-24 Member: 60469Members
    you do realize a lot of these people are prolly old ns1 players with 20k hours lol
  • RoobubbaRoobubba Who you gonna call? Join Date: 2003-01-06 Member: 11930Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    I've not seen an aimbot user in game yet personally. Obviously there was 'that video' which essentially proved beyond reasonable doubt the existence of such cheats; however, they really must be rare given the number of people here saying they've never seen one in game (myself included) in a combined total of several thousands of hours of gameplay.

The availability of neon alien skins on the workshop bothers me, though. I wonder just how many people have decided to use such things in public servers. With that said, I rarely find anyone who decimates me on a pub so I can honestly say that I don't believe anyone I've played against has been using these skins.

The best players I've seen are comp level players on public gathers. Those have advanced consistency checks, so definitely no neon skins, and I'm personally convinced that all the players I've seen on there are 100% legit, and the vast majority are considerably better than me. It's a great place to play: no better way to learn than when the overall teams are balanced and high level (of course they're not always balanced but neither are they on pubs!).
  • CurveCurve Join Date: 2003-12-17 Member: 24475Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    5.1 speaker sett up with a mad as bawls PC.

Often accused never banned :-)
  • |strofix||strofix| Join Date: 2012-11-01 Member: 165453Members
    Curve wrote: »
    5.1 speaker sett up with a mad as bawls PC.

Vastly inferior to headphones

• SquishpokePOOPFACESquishpokePOOPFACE -21,248 posts (ignore below) Join Date: 2012-10-31 Member: 165262Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    There's hardly an "epidemic" as the hysterics usually put it.
  • hakenspithakenspit Join Date: 2010-11-26 Member: 75300Members
    you do realize a lot of these people are prolly old ns1 players with 20k hours lol
    I have seen people who had very high standing in competitive gaming in various games banned for hacks (correctly and justly).
    Whether they once really had any skill is not really the question...they had something installed to assist with aiming, see through walls, ESP etc and got banned.
    Being well known only meant their fall was from a greater height.

Heck I guess we should not have bothered testing lance armstrong...after all he was a winner of the tour de france how many times?

• acid_rainacid_rain NS2 NAPT Mascot Austin, TX Join Date: 2010-02-16 Member: 70588Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester
    It's extremely difficult to cheat in NS2 with an aimbot and not get caught. Unlike most games, NS2 can make attempts very, very obvious. When extremely fast moving targets do a 180 and kill you it doesn't necessarily mean they're cheating. Here's a good way to identify cheaters:

Watch in first-person. Is movement fluid or jerky/twitchy? If the movement is fluid-like, how quickly is the target locked? When the target was locked was it locked instantly with a snap-to movement?

The problem with the vast majority of bots are that they are poorly coded. They simply do what they were intended to do, and nothing more. Most of them do basic vectors and rays and could have simple target delays built in, but at the end of the day, a straight line to the target is a straight line to the target, and 99.9% of bots out there will draw a straight line to the target and upon firing will auto-lock and hold to that target until it dies or another object crosses its path.

Since there's not much recoil in the game, cheaters almost always stick out like a sore thumb, if you think you've found a cheater, grab FRAPS and record them, and email UWE or any PT member as Ironhorse said earlier. You can even PM me, and I'll be glad to look it over. I highly encourage you to take video of these encounters, otherwise you could be mistaken as someone who might just be upset over the game or overreacting.
  • RobotixRobotix Join Date: 2013-02-20 Member: 183222Members
    This is what an aimbotter looks like:

• MrChokeMrChoke Join Date: 2012-12-13 Member: 174990Members, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Shadow
    Robotix wrote: »

I tell you what, you even get one of those cheating bastards on a server and the game is completely destroyed. I don't think I have ever seen one for sure. I have seen marines go 25 and 0 before exxos though from time to time. That is not near enough evidence to cry hax. Meanwhile I go game after game getting chewed up and spit out by skulks and I got a 3 and 6 K/D. I often wonder this about these hot shot marines: "How'd they get to be so good?"

HAX??????????
  • RobotixRobotix Join Date: 2013-02-20 Member: 183222Members
    edited March 2013
    MrChoke wrote: »

I tell you what, you even get one of those cheating bastards on a server and the game is completely destroyed. I don't think I have ever seen one for sure. I have seen marines go 25 and 0 before exxos though from time to time. That is not near enough evidence to cry hax. Meanwhile I go game after game getting chewed up and spit out by skulks and I got a 3 and 6 K/D. I often wonder this about these hot shot marines: "How'd they get to be so good?"

HAX??????????

I had a friend go 56-0 once as Marines. He wasn't cheating, though; the Alien team was just really bad (I was something like 64-4).
  • Lt. LizardLt. Lizard Join Date: 2012-11-06 Member: 167595Members
    I cruise through a lot of different servers and play with a lot of different people and I have yet to see one aim-botter. There were 2 cases where I was suspicious enough to first-person spectate said player for match or two, but in both of them the player in question was just that damn good.

While hacks definitely exist, I think they are still pretty rare. I suspect that most of the time when said accusation is made, people simply don't want to believe there can be someone so much better than they are (and by extension, that they really do suck that much), and cry "hax!" and "aimbot!" instead.
  • |strofix||strofix| Join Date: 2012-11-01 Member: 165453Members

No snapping, far too much missing.
    For an aimbot that is.

• NeokenNeoken Bruges, Belgium Join Date: 2004-03-20 Member: 27447Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Playtester
    |strofix| wrote: »

For an aimbot that is.

Watch what he does at 0:49. His aim snaps to the wall, tracking the skulk through the wall and into his sight.
  • Mr.GreedyMr.Greedy Join Date: 2012-07-21 Member: 154270Members

Caboose wrote: »
    Tyrsis wrote: »
    I've seen exactly two now, and they were both recorded and reported. They are obvious to see, as they almost always require a wallhack, so a lot of the time you'll notice them tracking people who should be invisible to them. They will also usually kill in 15 bullets or less constantly, and do kill shots on skulks who are doing perpendicular jumps to them. The easy way to detect them if you suspect someone of it, is to hide around a corner a little ways back, then move as though you're going to come around a corner. If he starts firing before you even get to the opening, you know what you're dealing with.
    Or they're near an observatory...
    Or he saw you, or had an intuition or just checks the walls or ceilings - people have called me a hacker for this bs.
    Yes me too. Best are those guys who try to prove that u are cheating by jumping sensless around . Or running loudly to a hiding-place, waiting there, get killed and screaming: "trololol how did u know that?!?!".

|strofix| wrote: »

For an aimbot that is.

I have never seen someone cheating before, I guess ( 450 hours). But this guy in the vid looks very strange. He is perfectly aiming threw the walls, best to see @ 0:51 and 1:01-1:15

• BestProfileNameBestProfileName Join Date: 2013-01-03 Member: 177320Members
    300 hours here, and no one has figured out I am aim botting.
  • joederpjoederp Join Date: 2012-11-02 Member: 165992Members
    The guy in that video is clearly cheating, but I have not seen anyone that obvious in my 350 hours. I have suspected a few guys, but now that there is FPS spec I was able to prove they are not cheating. It is very rare and in fact I have not been able to prove to myself anyone actually was aimbotting yet.
  • statikgstatikg Join Date: 2012-09-19 Member: 159978Members
    Hes not aim botting hes just wallhacking.
  • ShakerShaker Join Date: 2002-11-21 Member: 9582Members, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited March 2013
    statikg wrote: »
    Hes not aim botting hes just wallhacking.

The OP is exercising some serious hyperbole. The skill gap in this game is tremendous, especially between the beta players and retail players (but this is not the rule, obviously). When you know the maps, you will begin to be able to predict much of the alien movement based on their spawns. Good marines will constantly be opening their minimap to be aware of the alien movement and when to cover which vent. Something that is sort of a built in cheat can be the minimap itself (up in the corner). A skulk above a prop that is commander invis will show up on your minimap if he is in front of you (I really wish this wasnt so).

• NousWandererNousWanderer Join Date: 2010-05-07 Member: 71646Members
    edited March 2013
    There absolutely are aimbotters + wallhackers in NS2 now, and they're popping up in greater numbers. Pretending otherwise is kind of silly at this point. Here's yet another video which should make this abundantly clear (there's a thread about it over at r/NS2):

I played against two people doing *exactly the same thing* a couple weeks ago, and I'm a chronically vocal skeptic when it comes to hack accusations. I've played since NS1 and generally feel confident in my ability to know when I'm simply playing against someone with exceptional skills (e.g. I'm not going to confuse Edak, Fana or Tane with a cheater). A score is never a good indicator of cheating. This has nothing to do with scores.

As far as I can tell, these people are using some kind of injection hack, or they're using a 'cham' which marks enemies as bright, one-color models (visible through walls) which can then be 'snapped to' using a third party program that locks the mouse onto certain locations of colored pixels (this stuff is all googleable).

This issue is exacerbated by the fact that there have been so many accusations of hacking since the game was released, and those accusations were attributable to bad players simply not understanding how good some people are, or what's achievable within the game. Up until now, we've had good reason to basically put hacking accusations to rest.

Unfortunately the bubble has burst, and it's problematic to be in denial any longer. This is going to harm 1) the game itself, 2) new players who get turned off when confronted with legitimate cheaters and 3) good players who are going to have to deal with more frequent hack accusations now that we have verified cases of actual cheaters showing up.
  • ShakerShaker Join Date: 2002-11-21 Member: 9582Members, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow
    There absolutely are aimbotters + wallhackers in NS2 now, and they're popping up in greater numbers. Pretending otherwise is kind of silly at this point. Here's yet another video which should make this abundantly clear (there's a thread about it over at r/NS2):

I played against two people doing *exactly the same thing* a couple weeks ago, and I'm a chronically vocal skeptic when it comes to hack accusations. I've played since NS1 and generally feel confident in my ability to know when I'm simply playing against someone with exceptional skills (e.g. I'm not going to confuse Edak, Fana or Tane with a cheater). A score is never a good indicator of cheating. This has nothing to do with scores.

As far as I can tell, these people are using some kind of injection hack, or they're using a 'cham' which marks enemies as bright, one-color models (visible through walls) which can then be 'snapped to' using a third party program that locks the mouse onto certain locations of colored pixels (this stuff is all googleable).

This issue is exacerbated by the fact that there have been so many accusations of hacking since the game was released, and those accusations were attributable to bad players simply not understanding how good some people are, or what's achievable within the game. Up until now, we've had good reason to basically put hacking accusations to rest.

Unfortunately the bubble has burst, and it's problematic to be in denial any longer. This is going to harm 1) the game itself, 2) new players who get turned off when confronted with legitimate cheaters and 3) good players who are going to have to deal with more frequent hack accusations now that we have verified cases of actual cheaters showing up.

Thats the same guy in the video the other guy posted. Ha
  • MMZ_TorakMMZ_Torak Join Date: 2002-11-02 Member: 3770Members
    Shaker wrote: »

Thats the same guy in the video the other guy posted. Ha

Wow, that's funny; in a sad and pathetic way. How poor must your real life be to have to cheat in a game?
  • NousWandererNousWanderer Join Date: 2010-05-07 Member: 71646Members
    edited March 2013
    Yeah, it's the same guy. He's clearly aimbotting and wallhacking.
  • shonanshonan Join Date: 2013-01-28 Member: 182562Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    I'd like to see the same approach Tripwire did with RO2, another anti-cheat in addition to VAC
  • RoobubbaRoobubba Who you gonna call? Join Date: 2003-01-06 Member: 11930Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    edited March 2013
    @Robotix: also note the 'dodgy' bit at 55 seconds - you can see the red dot on the radar of the skulk about to come out of cargo. Every time you think 'whaaaaat...' - replay it and see if he's just very good at using the minimap.

Wallhacking: probably. Especially in the second video. Aimbot? Meh.
  • SopsSops Join Date: 2003-07-03 Member: 17894Members, Constellation
    I have seen one player so far that I am pretty sure had an aimbot. Kill count means nothing when identifying a hacker, especially now you can see a lot of marines with crazy K/Ds because skulks are crazy easy to kill now.
    edited March 2013
    Roobubba wrote: »
    @Robotix: also note the 'dodgy' bit at 55 seconds - you can see the red dot on the radar of the skulk about to come out of cargo. Every time you think 'whaaaaat...' - replay it and see if he's just very good at using the minimap.

Wallhacking: probably. Especially in the second video. Aimbot? Meh.

In fact, definitely wall hacking. The second vid shows this much, much more clearly than the first IMO.

Still: this type of things is extremely rare and we shouldn't exaggerate the current state of play. YES absolutely it needs to be monitored and counter-measures put in place, but scaremongering on the forums is probably not the right way to go about it.
  • GORGEousGORGEous Join Date: 2012-02-19 Member: 146762Members, NS2 Map Tester
    edited March 2013
    Every time I see a hack video, it's always CPL Garroway. That guy is obviously using an aimbot of some kind and both videos posted here show blatant use of this. Any time his crosshair gets near a skulk, it snaps to it and he shoots 50-100% accuracy. Also note how he stops firing immediately when he kills a skulk, tracks through walls, and has perfect tracking at very awkward angles (up and to the left?).