So many aimbotters

Merciless OneMerciless One Join Date: 2012-11-08 Member: 168344Members
Today, on nearly every server that I've been on, there's been an aimbotter on. Yes, I know what an aimbotter is and what it looks like on screen and what it's like to play against. 350+ hours will do that.

What is UWE doing to stop this bullshit that's ruining the game?

Server admins are not enough, especially when there isn't a server admin on more than half the time.

Comments

• FrothybeverageFrothybeverage Join Date: 2003-02-15 Member: 13593Members
    What's an aimbotter?
  • SleekSleek Join Date: 2013-02-01 Member: 182709Members
    170 hours myself...yet to see one aim botter.
  • AurOn2AurOn2 COOKIES! FREEDOM, AND BISCUITS! Australia Join Date: 2012-01-13 Member: 140224Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Forum staff
    1500 hours myself.. i rarely see aimbotters, they are rare, and theres probably alot of subtle ones.
    I ran into a guy who stopped taking damage around the same time he got carapace.
    Clearly he was cheating.
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    They get sent to steam's VAC.. so presumably the player can play like that for a few weeks before they are banned.
    IF you find a website with Ns2 hacks please dont post it anywhere, but rather PM it to me or a developer so we can report it immediately.
    Thanks
    IronHorse wrote: »
    They get sent to steam's VAC.. so presumably the player can play like that for a few weeks before they are banned.
    IF you find a website with Ns2 hacks please dont post it anywhere, but rather PM it to me or a developer so we can report it immediately.
    Thanks
    You guys just want all the hacks for yourselves.
    I know this ploy.

• IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
  • deathmongerdeathmonger Join Date: 2012-07-06 Member: 153953Members
    An easy way to narrow it down is if the person only joins marines. Apparently aim bots don't work quite as well when you're an alien. Unless you're a lerk anyway.
  • FarewelltoarmsFarewelltoarms gainesville fl Join Date: 2013-03-03 Member: 183603Members
    Today, on nearly every server that I've been on, there's been an aimbotter on.

This x1000. Marines getting ridiculous scores like 20-1 using only the LMG and the pistol. The only way to kill them is to swarm them so while they have to reload you can kill them. I've been seeing them pretty frequently these days and it's making me want to go back to playing Red Orchestra 2. This thread will probably get deleted/closed/moved by the mods though because they don't want this information to give people a bad impression of the game.
    It's probably people that got used to playing the old way(pre-240), and now that skulks are slower they're getting insane kills.
    It'll equalise with time, as more people get used to the new skulk mechanics instead of crying "OH GOD IT'S DIFFERENT THEREFORE IT IS BAD!".

The skulk movement is different than before, but the possibility for skilled play exists.
    Try different tactics than you were using prior to 240.
  • TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu Anememone Join Date: 2002-03-23 Member: 345Members
    20-1 for a marine might just mean they're good at the game. That's hardly aimbot caliber.
  • MestaritonttuMestaritonttu Join Date: 2004-07-29 Member: 30229Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold
    +700 or whatever hours, never seen an aimbot. Never been 180ied across the room in a dark corner.

Cheating in a video-game... Just lol how petty you can get. (I can't even wrap my mind around that.)
  • RockyMarcRockyMarc Join Date: 2009-11-24 Member: 69519Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    I don't think the netcode helps, being shot around corners and stuff always looks dodgy on your screen, but perfectly normal on theirs.
  • SavantSavant Join Date: 2002-11-30 Member: 10289Members, NS1 Playtester, Contributor
    Perhaps those neon green skulk skin I keep hearing about might have something to do with how marine accuracy has been increasing. :|

However, it should be noted, the devs have improved the hit registration for marines markedly. So it's quite possible that these people haven't gotten any better, they're just connecting with more bullets.

Frankly, I found that the hit registration issues forced me to be even more accurate that I would have been normally. Now that these issues are far less common, my scores have improved.
  • MrPinkMrPink Join Date: 2002-05-28 Member: 678Members
    edited March 2013
    There weren't aimbots a few weeks ago but now there are, check youtube

I have a bad feeling that they are going to spread like wild fire in the next month or so
  • PaLaGiPaLaGi Join Date: 2008-01-03 Member: 63331Members, Constellation
    Only aimbot I found when I searched youtube was this one:

• CalegoCalego Join Date: 2013-01-24 Member: 181848Members, NS2 Map Tester
    I think now with first person spectate it's much easier to tell who's an aimbot and who's just good. Unless you've spectated them and seen that they are in fact and aimbotter, don't call them one.

I'm very content with the knowledge that there are just a ton of people with far better aim than me.
  • ZekZek Join Date: 2002-11-10 Member: 7962Members, NS1 Playtester, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited March 2013
    An easy way to narrow it down is if the person only joins marines. Apparently aim bots don't work quite as well when you're an alien. Unless you're a lerk anyway.

That doesn't narrow down anything, maybe the person got so good at shooting because he constantly plays marines?
  • MrPinkMrPink Join Date: 2002-05-28 Member: 678Members
    I've never actually seen one in game but the video was posted 2 weeks ago, these things usually follow exponential growth, I hope the devs are ready...
  • sotanahtsotanaht Join Date: 2013-01-12 Member: 179215Members
    Zek wrote: »

That doesn't narrow down anything, maybe the person got so good at shooting because he constantly plays marines?

Plus a lot of people play marine only now that they win much more often than not.
  • |strofix||strofix| Join Date: 2012-11-01 Member: 165453Members
    850 hours, never seen one.
  • TyrsisTyrsis Join Date: 2002-11-15 Member: 8804Members
    I've seen exactly two now, and they were both recorded and reported. They are obvious to see, as they almost always require a wallhack, so a lot of the time you'll notice them tracking people who should be invisible to them. They will also usually kill in 15 bullets or less constantly, and do kill shots on skulks who are doing perpendicular jumps to them. The easy way to detect them if you suspect someone of it, is to hide around a corner a little ways back, then move as though you're going to come around a corner. If he starts firing before you even get to the opening, you know what you're dealing with.
    Tyrsis wrote: »
    If he starts firing before you even get to the opening, you know what you're dealing with.

I do this all the time.
    Oh well, I better inform Valve.

• FuleFule Join Date: 2009-06-04 Member: 67683Members
    Bullllshhhhhhhhhhhhhiiiii.....
    There are no aimbots. There is only good fps and skill.
  • XaoXao Join Date: 2012-12-12 Member: 174840Members
    Edakbot must have gone public...
  • CabooseCaboose title = name(self, handle) Join Date: 2003-02-15 Member: 13597Members, Constellation
    I've seen exactly two now, and they were both recorded and reported. They are obvious to see, as they almost always require a wallhack, so a lot of the time you'll notice them tracking people who should be invisible to them. They will also usually kill in 15 bullets or less constantly, and do kill shots on skulks who are doing perpendicular jumps to them. The easy way to detect them if you suspect someone of it, is to hide around a corner a little ways back, then move as though you're going to come around a corner. If he starts firing before you even get to the opening, you know what you're dealing with.
    Or they're near an observatory...
  • FuleFule Join Date: 2009-06-04 Member: 67683Members
    Caboose wrote: »
    Or he saw you, or had an intuition or just checks the walls or ceilings - people have called me a hacker for this bs.

edited March 2013
    |strofix| wrote: »
    I have and i have the video evidence and a collection of websites dedicated to hacking NS2.
    Its not a myth, they exist. I get that you haven't seen one yet though.

Again, just submit the info you find please.
    Thanks
  • TyrsisTyrsis Join Date: 2002-11-15 Member: 8804Members
    Caboose wrote: »
    Or he saw you, or had an intuition or just checks the walls or ceilings - people have called me a hacker for this bs.

I'm not talking about being obvious about it. Like being in obs range (which you can clearly see as an alien), or not shift walking so you sound like a horse. The leap from good player to aimbotter is quite large, and very obvious to see. Especially if you play against comp players. Aimbotters would completely destroy comp players.
    IronHorse wrote: »
    |strofix| wrote: »
    I have and i have the video evidence and a collection of websites dedicated to hacking NS2.
    Its not a myth, they exist. I get that you haven't seen one yet though.

Ye, might just be because 450 of those hours were spent playing with the same +-30 people who would never cheat.
    And the other 400 were beta. Derp.