So what do you find not fun about NS2?

YMICrazyYMICrazy Join Date: 2012-11-02 Member: 165986Members
edited March 2013 in NS2 General Discussion
Yea A FUN/Opinionated topic please this is not about balance or debate about how you feel certain things are fun when others do not

I am just curious as to what you guys felt let you down when you thought it was going to be a blast

For me:
1. I feel aliens are un enjoyable mostly because of the skulk. Sure I can get kills with it and do well but I still find it unenjoyable. I mean I know I can go a higher life form but the skulk has cool abilities like wall crawling which I really like but it feels like it's missing something. Though I know deep down inside it was that crazy wall jump the skulk had earlier. The early videos of wall jump with fantastic long leaps that made it look amazing and fun though it had to be nerfed for balance. Which is understandable but in return the skulk for me is lacking now.

2. FT/GL. For a bunch of weapons that require a lot of pres and research time/advanced armory they are sure pretty bad. Reasons being the FT is situational/weak in a game where killing higher lifeforms is vital and the downsides to the GL are pretty self explanatory.

3. Kham. Comming marine is really enjoyable. But Kham is just boring babysitting. Moving cysts in the placed restrictions so as not to burst other placed cysts and just waiting for structures to go up. I never played NS1, but man does the idea of a Kham Gorge really sound fantastic.

4. Exosuits. Cool in the trailers but in usage not so great. Feels out of pace for what the game is like and has a lot of drawbacks. There's an entire thread on it.

5. Weapon sounds are lackluster need to sound more threatening on the lmg and pistol.

6. Power nodes/Cysts-Hundreds of pages on this discussion.

7.Camo- I was hoping the skill based change completely redesigned it but it just made it less viable.

Comments

• DraptorDraptor Join Date: 2013-03-05 Member: 183721Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Really the only thing I don't enjoy is losing, mostly because it's usually by a landslide in pubs. But, I don't really know how to rectify that.
  • WispWisp Join Date: 2007-12-18 Member: 63211Members, Reinforced - Diamond
    ARCs aren't very fun, in my opinion. They sit back and are never part of the fight. They move awkwardly. I think they were a much better idea on paper than in practice.

The switch axe is kind of boring. It lacks the necessary punch for a melee weapon and just feels weak.

The lerk is also unsatisfying to play. It doesn't feel tactile and flying feels more like gliding through space. It's too flat - too robotic. It should feel like a bird.
  • CalegoCalego Join Date: 2013-01-24 Member: 181848Members, NS2 Map Tester
    Team stacking on Rookie friendly Servers.
  • KamamuraKamamura Join Date: 2013-03-06 Member: 183736Members, Reinforced - Gold
    I had an excellent moment yesterday. It was pre-match, nobody really wanted to play commander, so I wrote:

"I could command, but my wife minds when I use the voice comm, so I have to wait till she goes to sleep."
    "Well, if you are such a great commander, then COMMAND her to go to sleep!"
    "You don't really know how these things work, now do you?"
  • ScatterScatter Join Date: 2012-09-02 Member: 157341Members, Squad Five Blue
    *Onos
    *Exo
    *Alien structure spam
  • PimpToadPimpToad Join Date: 2012-11-02 Member: 166005Members
    NS2 is the only online multiplayer game I have ever played where my frustration is not indicative of my overall performance. I can have negative k/d, even k/d, positive k/d, or k/d above 2:1 and yet the game finds a way to frustrate me in some manner thanks to its numerous idiosyncrasies. I can be going on a 10+ kill streak and the game finds some way to annoy me so. It's rather fascinating to be honest in some sick, masochistic fashion.

• dragonmithdragonmith Join Date: 2013-02-04 Member: 182817Members, Reinforced - Diamond
    Poor optimisation. I watch NS2HD, and see the incredible views of the game, while I am stuck playing the lowest resolution with the lowest graphics and still not seeing higher than 30fps.
  • BentRingBentRing Join Date: 2003-03-04 Member: 14318Members
    power nodes and cysts

I do like the idea of having a visual of some sort for areas held by a team, but I don't care for how it's implemented. I remember reading a couple of ideas here that in theory could work just as well, such as having creep naturally grow out from hives or by structures, particularly harvesters. For that matter, marine RTs are pumping nanites so just let those power areas as well and have power nodes be gone or use them for other things like ambiance.
  • FrothybeverageFrothybeverage Join Date: 2003-02-15 Member: 13593Members
    dragonmith wrote: »
    Poor optimisation. I watch NS2HD, and see the incredible views of the game, while I am stuck playing the lowest resolution with the lowest graphics and still not seeing higher than 30fps.
    He's also running something that is watercoooled, and overclocked out the ass.

• halfofaheavenhalfofaheaven Join Date: 2012-11-09 Member: 168660Members, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Gold
    Being killed next to a Harvester when it only needs like two more shots to die. Why does this happen so often?
  • WheeeeWheeee Join Date: 2003-02-18 Member: 13713Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    the games are decided too quickly.

power nodes and infestation (mainly due to the negative impact on performance for the infestation) in their current implementation.

limited viable upgrade paths/few feasible strategies.

dissociation of alien team from rts side.
  • WhiteWeaselWhiteWeasel Join Date: 2012-11-25 Member: 173197Members
    edited March 2013
    Conceding too easily/early when faced with any form of challenge.
  • JektJekt Join Date: 2012-02-05 Member: 143714Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
    Lategame units
    Power nodes
    Cysts
    Vision blocking abilities
  • FrothybeverageFrothybeverage Join Date: 2003-02-15 Member: 13593Members
  • |strofix||strofix| Join Date: 2012-11-01 Member: 165453Members
    The fact that 2 minutes into the game, every res node is capped by one team or another, and remains capped until the end of the game. You can take a wrong left turn and explore the whole map before you realize your mistake.
  • FlipperFlipper Join Date: 2012-08-08 Member: 155120Members
    Lack of tech paths and overall balance that leads to fotm like strategies coinciding with every patch.
  • IeptBarakatIeptBarakat The most difficult name to speak ingame. Join Date: 2009-07-10 Member: 68107Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow
    Player movement, crouch jumping still doesn't behave as it should.
  • bERt0rbERt0r Join Date: 2005-03-23 Member: 46181Members
    edited March 2013
    I also find the movement sounds to be wonky. I am a very sound oriented player and i liked how you could hear skulks when knifing an rt in ns1. This is impossible now, the step sounds of skulks and marines are too similar and by the time i hear something and switch to my lmg, the skulk already got the first hit in. The same goes for biting an rt as a skulk, you cant hear the marines even it they walk right up to you. The direction of sounds also seems messed up often - it is very hard to make out from where those step sounds came from.
  • ArchaicArchaic Join Date: 2008-03-30 Member: 64001Members
    i find my framerate to be the least fun thing about the game :C
  • menohackmenohack Join Date: 2004-02-29 Member: 26995Members
    I disagree with pretty much all of these. Power nodes and cysts are a great addition to the game.

I don't enjoy mines. I feel like they are incredibly frustrating for aliens and don't really add anything for marines. With mines in a base, a skulk rush is impossible. On that same note, I dislike how easy it is to defend a marine base. Now you may be thinking I'm crazy because of power nodes, but I think it is a lot easier to bring your entire team from base to base with beacon and phase gates than to move respond as aliens. All aliens can do is group up with a bunch of onoses or gorges and go for the power. Marines, on the other hand, have arcs. Arcs, like mines, are incredibly frustrating and don't really add that much to gameplay. For the commander it feels like an awesome tactical move but for marines and skulks on the ground it's like waiting for 2 minutes separated by a wall while the hive dies. On top of all that, hives cost 15 more res than command stations and take significantly longer to be built, even with a gorge speeding them up. Overall it just feel like if marines are defending they will eventually win but if aliens are defending they will eventually lose.

I would like to have a discussion about how this is fair. There must be some mechanic I'm missing that makes aliens more of a threat. Compared to ns1 marines have significantly more mobility with sprint, making them as fast as skulks.
  • Unknown_SoldierUnknown_Soldier Join Date: 2002-11-03 Member: 6395Members
    Two things come to mind.

The first is the Gorge, and how the current concept feels conflicted between a pure support class and a combat support class. Babblers only recently add to this frustration in that they can be used for multiple things, but they're only useful at one (temporary armor). I will add that one giant nitpick I have is the removal of mini-cysts. I loved helping out comms and just generally spreading infestation. With the implementation of cyst limits in an area, I don't see why these couldn't be added back and become permanent cysts after x amount of time to fix the whole disappearing cyst issue.

The second thing I'm finding incredibly irritating (someone mentioned this earlier) is how, at least on public servers, the vast majority of games are decided within the first 5 minutes. What I've noticed is that on any map with 5 tech points, the first team to secure 3 will win most of the time. This is not necessarily because of the tech points themselves, but because of the control it gives the team over resource nodes. The team controlling the three tech points usually ends up with anywhere between 5-7 RTs, while the other team ends up with 3-5 (usually 3, because the other team has enough control to take the other 2). The only times I notice this is not necessarily the case is when the map either has 4 tech points (veil) or the map has a room with double resource points and the team with only two tech points controls the double.
  • SeahuntsSeahunts Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151973Members
    Things that are no fun:

1. pistol scripts

2. Skulk movement in 240 and somewhat in 241.

3. Team stacks and clans on pub that refuse to jump through random at the same time.

4. When your character gets stuck on random hand rails etc. ( particularly onos in mine shaft)

5. When people insist on playing in 24 player servers with sub15 tick rates.

6. The current implementation of camo.

7. All of the visual obstruction crap. ( cyst ruptures, gorge spit, bile etc)
  • sotanahtsotanaht Join Date: 2013-01-12 Member: 179215Members
    Losing.

No seriously, I feel that the way the game tends to snowball makes losing extremely unfun in most situations.
  • VittuLimaVittuLima Join Date: 2012-12-25 Member: 176227Members
    Am i the only one who hates the NS2 phasegates?? In NS1 u had to push "F" to actually use the phasegate but in NS2 i often keep just phasing accidently to locations i don't want to go lol. I also dislike skulking pretty much in NS2 even tho it was somewhat enjoyable in NS1, that's why i instalerk in almost every game when i have opportunity. Lerk feels maybe more enjoyable than in NS1 for some reason and fading was more fun in NS1, maybe because of focus. Onos is pretty much the same.

Things to not like:

1. Phasegate mechanics

2. Skulking

3. Fading

4. No focus uprgade

5. Lack of balance on +20ppl servers.

6. Some of gorgeus update. Babblers and gorgetunnels are just useless, this was a bad patch for aliens.

7. Performance

Now that i started thinking of this most of the complaining come from alien gameplay. Skulking is so unenjoyable in NS2 that losing ur lerk or whatever feels like the end of the world if u don't have money in the bank to re-evolve right away, whereas losing a shotgun or jp etc don't really matter at all because riflemarine is still fun to play and meaningful unit in all the stages of the game. U can see the division in the "funfactor" most of the time in the readyroom where ppl try to que marines much more than aliens.
  • pearlykpearlyk Join Date: 2013-01-19 Member: 180732Members
    1. skulk movement

2. exos --- not effective as jp+shotgun

3. power node and cysts

4. both server and client performance

5. visual clutter for the sake of immerson: cyst rupture, gorge spit, shade ink.
  • |strofix||strofix| Join Date: 2012-11-01 Member: 165453Members
    pearlyk wrote: »
    5. visual clutter for the sake of immerson: cyst rupture, gorge spit, shade ink.

Pretty sure those were all intentionally added with the goal of reducing a marines accuracy in certain situations.

Whether they are fair, balanced or fun is debatable, but they weren't added "for the sake of immersion".