Show "Area of effect" ring on structures before placing them

slayer20slayer20 Killed a man once. Join Date: 2007-12-13 Member: 63157Members, Reinforced - Shadow
For example, lets say I have a room locked down with crags, shifts, and some whips. Now I want to place a Shade down, but I want to place it in such a way that it covers most of the area that I want covered. Right now, it's just a guessing game as to what will be cloaked and what won't. I would like it if, once you selected a structure that effects an area, the Ring would be displayed before actually dropping the structure.

A very simple and small suggestion.

Comments

• buhehebuhehe Join Date: 2012-05-15 Member: 152140Members
    Wow, that feature is not implemented?
    I never play comm, so I don't know that stuff but wow, I'm astonished it's not there...
  • xen32xen32 Join Date: 2012-10-18 Member: 162676Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    +1 on that, you never know what your obs is going to cover and more importantly, what it is not going to cover.
  • FrothybeverageFrothybeverage Join Date: 2003-02-15 Member: 13593Members
    If you command enough you know what the effective range is.

With that being said, I don't see any reason for this feature not to be implemented.

As an addendum:
    I'd like to see ARCs display their shooting range when they haven't been deployed.
  • KalabalanaKalabalana Join Date: 2003-11-14 Member: 22859Members
    edited March 2013
    For Shade dropping, structures within the cloak AOE radius could flash to show if they will receive the effect.
    Same with visible enemy structures to ARCs/whips, and possibly hydras as well. Also crags for heal/umbra range.
  • VenatosVenatos Join Date: 2012-03-31 Member: 149762Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold
    i could have sworn i saw such rings in the beta... well im just a footsoldier so i have no clue, but its good idea and i support it.
  • nsguynsguy Join Date: 2010-01-03 Member: 69869Members
    edited March 2013
    Already suggested in these forums. Not yet implemented.
  • SopsSops Join Date: 2003-07-03 Member: 17894Members, Constellation
    Kalabalana wrote: »
    For Shade dropping, structures within the cloak AOE radius could flash to show if they will receive the effect.
    Same with visible enemy structures to ARCs/whips, and possibly hydras as well. Also crags for heal/umbra range.
    If this is the case then it needs to be made more obvious.
  • Samus1111111Samus1111111 Join Date: 2012-08-07 Member: 154930Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    I know that it was in the game (back when I khammed in late beta/early release), no idea why it was removed...
  • KazterKazter Join Date: 2003-08-12 Member: 19481Members, Constellation
    Another QOL (Quality of Life) feature I feel is REQUIRED to be in the game, that is absent. Thank you for bringing this up and your contribution.
  • MrLeeMrLee Join Date: 2005-05-16 Member: 51755Members, Reinforced - Diamond
    I would like to Add this could allso be usefull for ARC's.
  • ScardyBobScardyBob ScardyBob Join Date: 2009-11-25 Member: 69528Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    Venatos wrote: »
    i could have sworn i saw such rings in the beta... well im just a footsoldier so i have no clue, but its good idea and i support it.
    For fully built structures, selecting them shows their area of effect. Only the cyst shows this circle before placing them. The ARC has a similar problem in where its range isn't shown till after its deployed (so there is a bit of trial-and-error for getting it in the right spot to hit a hive if you haven't memorized the proper positions).
  • Spektor56Spektor56 Join Date: 2010-11-10 Member: 74858Members
    I don't play comm much but +1 on this. This is pretty much a required feature for comms to have.
  • WakeWake Join Date: 2003-03-05 Member: 14351Members, Constellation
    I'd say no, for uncertitude's sake.

In fact, i would be in favor of a bit of randomness in range and performance, in chambers, in buildings.
    I.e : an obs woukd scan a bit more or less longer, a chamber would have an healing rate a bit more or less effective etc.

Bring on random, bring on life.