Beware Discount Steam Keys - Unknown Worlds

SystemSystem Join Date: 2013-01-29 Member: 182599Members, Super Administrators, Reinforced - Diamond
edited March 2013 in NS2 General Discussion

imageBeware Discount Steam Keys - Unknown Worlds

Beware discount Steam keys - If you don't purchase a key from an official store, you risk losing both your money and the copy of the game.

Read the full story here

Comments

• HughHugh Cameraman San Francisco, CA Join Date: 2010-04-18 Member: 71444NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Onos, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts
    Bump to activate comment thread.
  • SquishpokePOOPFACESquishpokePOOPFACE -21,248 posts (ignore below) Join Date: 2012-10-31 Member: 165262Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    50% off of $25 wasn't enough for some people?
  • KioKio Join Date: 2013-03-01 Member: 183501Members
    Damn, $30,000?

That's ridiculous, why and how is a $22 charge back justifiable for a $25 purchase?
  • kalakujakalakuja Join Date: 2012-09-11 Member: 159045Members, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter
    i like riskyrussians best
  • FLuXFLuX Join Date: 2002-12-30 Member: 11633Members, NS2 Playtester, Subnautica Playtester
    So many problems would be solved if people looked at everything with a lil more scrutany, especially anything that looks "too good", do your homework folks, and I sincerely hopes this gets taken care of promptly. Crappy situation, I've often feared chargebacks myself as a way to be scammed as a seller.
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited March 2013
  • WheeeeWheeee Join Date: 2003-02-18 Member: 13713Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited March 2013
  • FrothybeverageFrothybeverage Join Date: 2003-02-15 Member: 13593Members
    abcpt wrote: »
    and you only noticed that someone bought 1,341 Steam keys now after the charge-back, never suspected ? how smart.
    also if those resellers are illegal like you say, do you really think they will refund +1000 keys ? ... wont buy it again like many others.
    It wasn't one person who bought those keys, considering they were using stolen CCs, there's a good chance that they were impersonating the people who they stole the info from, and if you bought your key from said thief, with your CC, there's a chance they did the same to you.

It's not UWE's fault you didn't buy your copy of the game through a legitimate source.
    Quit being cheap. $25 is nothing for a new game.
    Shit, games like CoD are upwards of $60 when they're new.
  • Katana-Katana- Join Date: 2008-11-25 Member: 65575Members
    and you only noticed that someone bought 1,341 Steam keys now after the charge-back, never suspected ? how smart.
    also if those resellers are illegal like you say, do you really think they will refund +1000 keys ? ... wont buy it again like many others.

Also keep in mind financial transactions like 'charge backs' and fraudulent charge disputes take weeks to resolve. The fraudulent charges listed hear were prolly accumulated over a few months, plus amongst these false charge backs, are mixed in many reasonable charge backs, or credit card failures in which the customer then fixed the relevant information.

Charge backs and dealing with missing or incorrect credit card information are a totally normal part of running an online store. Most companies just don't both to comment about the problems or keep their customers in the loop on details like this.
  • bydoritosbydoritos Join Date: 2013-03-08 Member: 183784Members

And how could they know that it was "one person" using a stolen credit card to buy all those keys? they can't, you have any idea of how many transactions they might had to deal at the time? they can't verify each individual purchase to make sure that it was all ok.
    And ofcourse they don't have any idea if those websites will refund the people that bought the keys, and why would they even care, it's not their problem, they just took a huge hit of U$30,000 because of this they have bigger things to worry about.
  • JAMESEARLJONOSJAMESEARLJONOS Join Date: 2012-12-15 Member: 175155Members
    On some level, there's part of me that disagrees with the policy of deactivating all the keys. And the reason for it is directly in the press release:
    The owner of the stolen credit card ultimately disputed the charge and we lost the sale. In total, we lose ~$45 per transaction of this kind, due to the charge-back fee (~$22 fee + $25 game price). Meanwhile, the unauthorized key reseller kept the money from the player who ultimately received the bad key.

Deactivating the keys only punishes the innocent people who bought the keys. It doesn't restore the lost money to UWE, and it doesn't punish the person who sold them. The proper response here was to eat the loss and hope the people who obtained the game in this way lead to more sales via positive word of mouth.

• BlueDevilBlueDevil Join Date: 2009-10-05 Member: 68955Members
    It wasn't one person who bought those keys, considering they were using stolen CCs, there's a good chance that they were impersonating the people who they stole the info from, and if you bought your key from said thief, with your CC, there's a chance they did the same to you.

It's not UWE's fault you didn't buy your copy of the game through a legitimate source.
    Quit being cheap. $25 is nothing for a new game.
    Shit, games like CoD are upwards of $60 when they're new.
    Not to mention that it has been on sale with 50% off.
    On some level, there's part of me that disagrees with the policy of deactivating all the keys. And the reason for it is directly in the press release:
    The owner of the stolen credit card ultimately disputed the charge and we lost the sale. In total, we lose ~$45 per transaction of this kind, due to the charge-back fee (~$22 fee + $25 game price). Meanwhile, the unauthorized key reseller kept the money from the player who ultimately received the bad key.

Deactivating the keys only punishes the innocent people who bought the keys. It doesn't restore the lost money to UWE, and it doesn't punish the person who sold them. The proper response here was to eat the loss and hope the people who obtained the game in this way lead to more sales via positive word of mouth.

they shouldn't have tried to skimp by going to other sites then.
  • TechercizerTechercizer 7th Player Join Date: 2011-06-11 Member: 103832Members
    edited March 2013
    Wheeee wrote: »

they shouldn't have tried to skimp by going to other sites then.

And from UWE's end, all they're really asking is to be paid for the copies people have bought. The only people doing the screwing are those who knowingly engaged in credit fraud or the transfer of stolen keys; the developers and most end-consumers are equal victims. The consumers are out the money they (perhaps foolishly, perhaps not) paid for a bad key, and UWE are out the chargeback costs (assuming people re-purchase, else it's chargeback + price).
  • bERt0rbERt0r Join Date: 2005-03-23 Member: 46181Members
    edited March 2013
    These "innocent people" have financed this crime. Do you want to encourage them to buy the next game at their new favourite discount store?
    Shouldnt people who had their account deactivated be able to do the same (get their money refunded from that shady retailer) if they paid by creditcard? UWE is doing them a favour by alerting them, who knows what else may pop up on their credit card statements.
  • soccerguy243soccerguy243 Join Date: 2012-12-22 Member: 175920Members, WC 2013 - Supporter

Tell me how uwe can punish the thrifty that uwe false/stolen info to buys the key?

Tell me how you know all those 1341 Keys been resold?

Tell me how the the buy again option won't let uwe collect some id the money lost?
  • TechercizerTechercizer 7th Player Join Date: 2011-06-11 Member: 103832Members
    edited March 2013

Tell me how uwe can punish the thrifty that uwe false/stolen info to buys the key?

Tell me how you know all those 1341 Keys been resold?

Tell me how the the buy again option won't let uwe collect some id the money lost?

> That's not an English sentence

> They can't. Who cares? Reselling keys isn't a crime and it doesn't hurt anybody.

> It will. Assuming an unrealistic 100% conversion rate, it will limit their losses to 22 USD per purchase, meaning each chargeback basically cost them as much as an entire user's sale after that user then paid them correctly for the game.
  • XaoXao Join Date: 2012-12-12 Member: 174840Members
    Wow UWE drones out in full force today, yes please punish all those players who bought the game from a retailer that wasn't one of two people, I'm very well aware popular opinion is to line gabens pockets as much as you can but there is plenty of seemingly non fraudulent online shops that sell CDKeyS/direct download (ozgameshop, greenmangaming, GOG, D2D) cheaper because I suppose they don't have much of a maintenance cost and when you live in regions outside of US/UK the price of games can be pretty bullshit at most times, for instance every game in Australia.

Gave away more CDKeyS to randoms on launch and come back later to strike the game out from people for buying outside the monopoly, for a game with such a low retention rate I can only hope they weren't active players.
    Xao wrote: »
    Wow UWE drones out in full force today, yes please punish all those players who bought the game from a retailer that wasn't one of two people, I'm very well aware popular opinion is to line gabens pockets as much as you can but there is plenty of seemingly non fraudulent online shops that sell CDKeyS/direct download (ozgameshop, greenmangaming, GOG, D2D) cheaper because I suppose they don't have much of a maintenance cost and when you live in regions outside of US/UK the price of games can be pretty bullshit at most times, for instance every game in Australia.

Gave away more CDKeyS to randoms on launch and come back later to strike the game out from people for buying outside the monopoly, for a game with such a low retention rate I can only hope they weren't active players.

go to bed, Xao, you're drunk.
  • |strofix||strofix| Join Date: 2012-11-01 Member: 165453Members
    So let me get this right...

Say I'm a big name game developer/publisher, lets call me Gearpox, and I have a smaller independent competitor called, I don't know, QWD.
    All I have to do is find an underhanded way to make an exorbitant number of purchases, and then chargeback all of them and bunkrupt the competitor in the process?

This system seems flawed.
  • XaoXao Join Date: 2012-12-12 Member: 174840Members
    edited March 2013
    Xao wrote: »
    please punish all those players who bought the game from a retailer that wasn't one of two people, I'm very well aware popular opinion is to line gabens pockets as much as you can but there is plenty of seemingly non fraudulent online shops that sell CDKeyS/direct download (ozgameshop, greenmangaming, GOG, D2D) cheaper because I suppose they don't have much of a maintenance cost and when you live in regions outside of US/UK the price of games can be pretty bullshit at most times, for instance every game in Australia.

@Xao, I'm having trouble understanding what your argument is. But you appear to equate two types of sellers as the same thing:

1. Sellers that stole Steam keys (Websites referred to in our post)
    2. Sellers selling legitimate Steam keys (GOG, GMG, D2D)

That sounds like an insult to people like Green Man Gaming. If Green Man Gaming is selling legitimate NS2 Steam keys (which they will be soon, we are finalizing store page artwork with them this week), what possible relevance does that have to UWE deactivating stolen keys?

Where on Earth do you think legitimate stores like Green Man Gaming get their Steam keys? Are you saying they steal them with fraudulent credit card transactions?

How does a buyer differentiate between a legitimate or illegitimate seller is my point, I've been told numerous hardware retailers online and sites like ozgameshop were scams whenever they are brought up yet they've been in business for years and keep expanding.

I'm not even aware of any websites selling NS2 keys but I'm also not aware of anything on UWE informing people "The game is only to be bought from Steam/retailer and anything else could be a scam", someone noted above "isn't 50% off good enough for some people" has nothing to do with the fact that steam in plenty of regions over the world overcharges the fuck out of their games and people have long stopped going to steam for their game purchases.

I'm assuming step 3. in your post above hasn't happened for most people as they've only just realised they were sold scammed keys because you just invalidated them because they couldn't startup NS2 anymore through their steam account, so they're out of pocket whatever amount they paid for a disabled key until they call their bank and have been labeled thieves or CC fraud supporters for making an honest purchase AND can't play NS2 until they re purchase. Unless I am majorly high 3. isn't getting their money back automatically because UWE queried the charge back.

I seriously doubt the website they bought them off had some disclaimer like "Warning: The CDKeyS here are all resold via CC fraud using stolen/borrowed CC for charge back purposes that would normally get your steam account permanently banned and if the developer can be fucked chasing it you may be unable to play the game at a later date, do you agree to this purchase yes/no".

edit: And like james brought up this was a great PR angle missed out on.

double edit: I mean look at all these legitimate looking re-salers now I've spent 5 seconds in google:

http://cdkeyprices.com/product/Natural-Selection-2-CD-Key-Steam.html/

http://www.allkeyshop.com/blog/buy-natural-selection-2-cd-key-compare-prices/

http://www.dlcompare.com/games/cd-key-download-natural-selection-2-426
    Wheeee wrote: »
    Xao maybe people should do more research before buying from a non-official source.

Caveat emptor.

Best believe I pre ordered m8, didn't wait 8 years on a chance, I got the swag armour in game and all, even had an old constie account lost in moving and changing computers 1x times.
    Xao maybe people should do more research before buying from a non-official source.

Caveat emptor.
  • acid_rainacid_rain NS2 NAPT Mascot Austin, TX Join Date: 2010-02-16 Member: 70588Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester
    I'm a very firm believer in the "You get what you pay for" mentality. The fact is that the majority of these people bought NS2 for a cheaper price knowing full well they were buying it from a shady website. People do this, so they don't have to pay the correct price for things. They think game companies like UWE don't have the time or resources to do anything about it. Good on you UWE, and if I were you, I'd start putting small time into finding these re-sellers and putting them to shame by getting your money back and outing them publicly. These companies hurt the economy as a whole, and it's very sad that a good portion of consumers resort to this and fuel the fire are the same consumers complaining about the economy's position.
    edited March 2013
    UWE are such bad people.

First they give 40 000 copies away for free, and now this.
    What has the world come to, I think its pretty clear where UWE's true motivation lies.
    Those poor bargain hunters...

• JAMESEARLJONOSJAMESEARLJONOS Join Date: 2012-12-15 Member: 175155Members
    Deactivating the keys only punishes the innocent people who bought the keys.

You appear to misunderstand the situation, and who is being 'punished.' There are four entities on this dance floor:

1. The fraudster who originally bought the keys.
    2. The people whose credit cards were used to buy said keys
    3. The people who unknowingly bought the fraudulent keys
    4. Unknown Worlds

Lets see where each entity ends up, when the music stops:

1. Has the money (3) gave them for the keys
    2. Has their money back via their card issuer
    3. Has their money back via their card issuer
    4. Is out of pocket $30,000.

At what point in that chain is Unknown Worlds punishing those that unknowingly purchased fraudulent keys?

Do you honestly believe every person who got stuck with a fraudulent key is going to issue a chargeback? The odds are high that well over half the people affected are simply going to be out whatever amount they paid for the game. Because most people aren't going to waste their time chasing down a chargeback for 10-20 dollars - they'll chalk it up to the game being bad and move on.
    Wow, I know there are people who like to rip on the game and on UWE, but using this situation to make us out to be the bad guys here is frankly just disgusting.

It's a bad situation, but the action that UWE took in deactivating the keys was wholly unnecessary. As explained above, most of the people who end up with deactivated keys will just leave the game. And they'll be out money because most people aren't going to go through the hassle of a chargeback for what's a nominal charge. The extra step you guys took in deactivating keys falls squarely on the shoulders of otherwise innocent people and it's not really right. Take it as you will.

Maybe there's some kind of distributor insurance in place that doesn't reimburse unless the "product" in question is deactivated?

Kind of like how insurance on phones isn't payed back unless the phone is blacklisted.