NS2_Nothing

IndustryIndustry Esteemed Gentleman Join Date: 2010-07-13 Member: 72344Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
edited April 2013 in Mapping
I have been requisitioned to create a forum thread for this. This is a re-imagining of the NS1 classic map ns_nothing. Due to gameplay changes and the lack of elevators there have been some large changes to make the layout work for NS2. The creator is looking for some feedback (and doesn't want to create a forum account for whatever reason). The map is pretty much greyboxed fully and is playable. They are looking for suggestions to improve the layout and of course any suggestions for general aesthetics would help as well. The intent is for 10 resource points and 4 tech points to keep in spirit of the original map.

Author: Malx (Malpractice, Mal, whatever else he is called that week)

hfZsRWS.jpg
CWCuwY3.jpg
axeAbtN.jpg
hLSVQPH.jpg

Workshop link: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=137645829
Additional screenshots: Here

Comments

• HowserHowser UK Join Date: 2010-02-08 Member: 70488Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Retired Community Developer
    My advice would be get your friend to join the forums and the community. There's a lot to be gained from talking directly to your fellow mappers.
    Looks like he's got some long narrow corridors which are never fun. Bare open spaces also make it hard to aliens to ambush marines. But that's just stating the obvious.
    The only way you're going to get real valuable feedback is by doing some large scale testing, and getting involved in the community.
    It does look fun though.
  • IndustryIndustry Esteemed Gentleman Join Date: 2010-07-13 Member: 72344Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    Trust me, I made pointed out he should BUT I AM ONLY ONE MAN.

Concerning the long hallways, intimidation is the worst offender and has draw distance issues currently and that is going to be fixed. The other hallways have a lot of geometry similar to the original nothing on the walls and ceilings to provide for skulks. He should also be aware (at least I pointed it out and some others) that power silo RT and TP need to be switched to prevent cheap sieging.
  • ObliviousSightObliviousSight Join Date: 2012-09-07 Member: 158306Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    I second Howser on joining the forums and getting involved with the community. I was wary of joining them and I still find posting my opinion or feedback uncomfortable but I don't regret it. Maybe your friend would be more willing to join the custom map testing sessions on Sundays? We don't bite.... except in-game of course....

On a feedback level, I would be worried about Power Silo being sieged as well. Switching the RT and TP would be the most obvious solution.

Also could we have a bit more info on whether there are fixed spawns or random etc.

Lighting wise I like the colours going on, but I think it is a bit too dark in general. Marines will struggle to spot their targets.

I'm currently downloading the map and will have a run around to see if I come up with anything else.
  • HowserHowser UK Join Date: 2010-02-08 Member: 70488Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Retired Community Developer
    Industry is this 'friend' you? Don't be shy :P but yes if he joins the forums and says hello he can join our custom map sessions and have his work tested with a load of NS2 community mappers, It's friendly, fun (when the server works properly) and really insightful!
    The map looks good but unless you're actively testing it at this stage its dead in the water.
  • IndustryIndustry Esteemed Gentleman Join Date: 2010-07-13 Member: 72344Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    Rofl, no it isn't me. You can click the workshop link to see who is involved. I am just the sad messenger. I'll poke him again about it later tonight.

My own map is coming... soon™
  • eliotmateliotmat Join Date: 2002-12-01 Member: 10350Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Oooooh. I can't wait to go lerk at the top of power silo!!!

How can the rines get arcs in the "jetpack room"?
  • ObliviousSightObliviousSight Join Date: 2012-09-07 Member: 158306Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Okay, I had a quick look around and a couple of things stood out as potential problems.

The corridor that goes between Hedge Pit and Viaduct Access East and passes Viaduct is really long, further even than Intimidation. The containers and pipes will help, but you can still see all the way down the length of it.

There are also parts of the map that are pitch black, such as Hedge Pit's ceiling and Cargo Access.

Otherwise, would really like to jump into a game on it and see what happens! Definately looks promising.
  • FunkyFungusFunkyFungus Join Date: 2003-09-09 Member: 20691Members
    now we need lerklift ^^

keep up the good work :)
  • JimWestJimWest Join Date: 2010-01-03 Member: 69865Members, Reinforced - Silver
    now we need lerklift ^^

keep up the good work :)

Will add that to workshop soon, nearly done.

edited April 2013
    Finally got to have a playtest on this map and I myself am going to post some feedback for the actual mapper (who seriously is not me. Really. I'm not kidding). There are a few problem areas that need addressing.

zwBaw6m.jpg

GREEN:
    Power silo needs to be rotated so the tech point is on the otherside. The cyst distance to Ominous Kismet is also pretty far. Silo as a whole could probably be shifted to the east a bit to help with this and silo access south will need some tweaks.

BLUE:
    Foreboding Antechamber suffers from a really long sight line. The stairwell in the south end could be adjusted to break this up some without making any changes to antechamber. There are some boxes but I feel it is still a problem regardless.

PURPLE:
    Vestibule needs the power node moved and all the death pits aside from the elevator shaft should probably be closed. This is just asking for a nightmare, and in the playtest it was a turtle supreme for the marines. (aside: ALL HAIL EMP)

BROWN:
    Miasma walkway has a very long sight line from the door heading north that actually breaks the view distance threshold. The power node is also in a confusing place which at first glance doesn't seem like it would power the RT.

PINK:
    Intimidation also suffers from a long sight line. There is a slight elevation change which I believe is meant to break it up but I think it needs to be a bit more drastic to do that properly.

YELLOW:
    Viaduct has a long sight line that is broken up, but still breaks the view distance threshold if you stand all the way to the west end of the access hallways. The tech point is also a bit big and maybe needs to be shrunk in floor area in order to keep the high vaulted ceilings.

RED:
    Hedge pit is meant to replace the vent between cargo and viaduct from the NS1 version in order to make the map NS2 friendly. However, it is far too large. It is also a masssssssive cyst distance to reach the access west RT making the expansion that way not really plausible. I would shorten this room and have it attach into Access West closer to the RT.

Some other thoughts I didn't colorize:

Ventilation chamber is too close to cargo bay and too far from Vestibule. Shifting it east some should fix that, maybe even move the RT to a different spot in that room. Cargo needs (in my mind) to match the original nothing's look a little more to give it that nostalgia feeling. The map is dark, and I know that is the intention, but some areas REALLY need to be brightened up. And along with the long sight lines, there are too many rooms with high vaulted ceilings. Lerks have a field day. Lowering the ceilings in some rooms should help. If I can think of more I will add some later.

Other than those problems, the map does feel like nothing as a whole. it is very large, which isn't a bad thing provided that the travel times between RTs and Tech Points aren't ridiculous and become more equidistant.

• kuruptkurupt Join Date: 2005-03-24 Member: 46347Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold
    I'm Very excited to see this map soon ns_nothing has always been my enjoyable map :) ty
  • ScatterScatter Join Date: 2012-09-02 Member: 157341Members, Squad Five Blue
    Unfortunately due to the cyst mechanics we wont be seeing any crags and shifts at the top of power silo. What about lift blocking ? :D
  • DarkSeraphDarkSeraph Join Date: 2004-06-07 Member: 29174Members
    Looks alright, but I'm beyond disappointed that the mapper himself has not taken the time to show up and ask for feedback. We're a pretty accepting group.
  • BensonBenson Join Date: 2012-03-07 Member: 148303Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    I actually happened across a test version of this map last night, there were only a few players so we couldn't have a proper game, but my first impression of it was that everything seems a bit too large.

It seemed like everything was kind of blown out of proportion, and that it takes too long to travel the map. My only recommendation (not as a mapper!) is to scale down how wide the hallways and rooms are.

Other than that, had a great time running around it seems like it will be a great map once its complete!
  • Rellik_ptRellik_pt Join Date: 2013-01-22 Member: 181205Members
    edited April 2013
    the scale of the map is a bit huge, cysting as alien is realy hard the near rts take alot of cysts to reach form power silo, needs more lights is a bit dark. you should test it more. also love your outdoor areas and some of the things you did to the map, but needs balance and maybe size to be decrease a bit more
  • hozzhozz Join Date: 2012-11-20 Member: 172660Members
    People complained the map is too dark.
    The room names are rather bad :) Are these from the original?

Overall it looks nice - simple geometry (this is a plus in my book) but really good looking.
    Yes the room names are from the original.
  • AdambeanAdambean Cardiff, South Wales Join Date: 2005-06-03 Member: 53038Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    Oooh another one of my favourite NS1 maps being ported to NS2 :D

It appears this is another port that hasn't followed the same map orientation as the original. Not sure how much work is involved in rotating a whole map in NS2 or if it's even worthwhile doing, but NS1 players would be less confused if the key points were in the same place on their screen as they are used to. This only affects the map views anyway.

Original orientation showing power silo is at the north east (the two corridors two it are labeled "Silo Access North/South" and really are north/south of the power silo hive location):

interface_minimap.gif
  • 2cough2cough Rocky Mountain High Join Date: 2013-03-14 Member: 183952Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    ZZZZZZZZOMBIE THREAD!

What's the deal with this? No workshop links, obviously abandoned. Of course this is the 2nd dead nothing remake thread. Curious as to why? Maybe it sucked? Whyyyyy?!
  • GibsGibs Join Date: 2013-09-25 Member: 188455Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Diamond, Subnautica Playtester
    Why was the map removed from the workshop? :(
  • BeigeAlertBeigeAlert Texas Join Date: 2013-08-08 Member: 186657Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
    Gibs wrote: »
    Why was the map removed from the workshop? :(

It's still there. I literally JUST finished playing a round on it.
  • [=Alex=][=Alex=] Join Date: 2008-12-25 Member: 65866Members, Squad Five Blue
    edited February 2014
    It's funny, I remember when I launched my map ns2_triad and rained criticism on long corridors, ns2_nothing has long corridors everywhere.

Try doing romms in these corridors would work better with the map.

Change those corridors or this beautiful map full of nostalgia also fall into oblivion as my map ns2_triad

Edit: ops... this is the old thing :p

• GibsGibs Join Date: 2013-09-25 Member: 188455Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Diamond, Subnautica Playtester
    http://www.twitch.tv/gibzus/b/502573396 Here's some footage of me running the map on my server. Might be of use :)
  • 2cough2cough Rocky Mountain High Join Date: 2013-03-14 Member: 183952Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    This is not the current nothing thread, this is an old necro that has been abandoned.
    Yep this thread is dead as the original mapper abandoned it and I have not had time due to school to take it over.

Kalopsia has done a great job on his own remake and I urge people who wander into this thread mistakenly to head to his thread instead.
    http://forums.unknownworlds.com/discussion/133999/ns2-nothing-dev-release-thread