Classic mode for older PC's?

DrowningwDrowningw Join Date: 2012-12-22 Member: 175899Members
IS there any chance we get this? I deleted the game because i can't maintain even 25fps near end game even with everything on low and resolutions from 1990's like 800x600. :(

and i have above recomended specs. there's only a few moded servers that offer classic, we need something official. thats the only chance I have at playing this game, and I can't afford a PC ugrade for another year at least.

Comments

• WoollySammothWoollySammoth Join Date: 2013-02-14 Member: 183062Members
    My Pc is the pretty much the minimum spec and i can run it at about 30 - 40fps on 800x600, i can get 30ish fps *most* of the time on the 10x7 resolution.

I've also been through the Nvida control panel to turn everything down I could on there too, have you tried that?
  • SeeVeeSeeVee Join Date: 2012-10-31 Member: 165206Members
    if your PC is above recommended specs I don't see how you get such poor performance... that is just odd.
  • shonanshonan Join Date: 2013-01-28 Member: 182562Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    SeeVee wrote: »
    if your PC is above recommended specs I don't see how you get such poor performance... that is just odd.

the game doesnt work properly for a lot of people right now, so it isnt odd at all, more like normal :P
  • ScardyBobScardyBob ScardyBob Join Date: 2009-11-25 Member: 69528Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    Mind posting your PC specs? There maybe other problems such as driver or other compatibility issues that are reducing your performance to below where it should be.
  • DrowningwDrowningw Join Date: 2012-12-22 Member: 175899Members
    edited March 2013
    My pc specs are

Intel q9550 4ghz (tried even stock clock or a lower, 3.4 ghz overclock to rule out issues) so im 1ghz above recomended spec.
    zotac gtx260 amp2 (which according to most google threads and online reviews is faster or equal to 5770, which is recomended spec )
    8gb ddrII 800MHZ
    windows 7 64bit
    x-fi extremegamer soundcard
    GA-P45-ud3p motherboard
    22 inch screen, native res 1680x1050
    nvidia latest drivers 314.07 (was no better with older drivers)

two days ago, just before i deleted the game out of sheer frustration and headaches i got from such low framerate, i had 21fps just standing in the marine base, facing an empty room, and aliens had map control. this was at 1280x960 with everything low except textures medium. needless to say it went sub 20fps when anywhere near a battle. this was even before onos time. this was in a server "weasels reborn 4.5ghz". sasme on all servers and i only play on server that maintain 100% perf.

r_stats shows waiting for gpu at 0 always.

it starts off fine, capped at 60 fps like i want it, but mid game and later on, it drops, and drops, and drops, until i can't do anything except jetpack around and weld, or spam lmb as an onos. but at such low fps you get a headache, its inevitable. so in short, its unplayable, and even more so because im not a casual gamer, when i play a game i play to be near the top. not competetive level, but a reliable team mate.

• SquishpokePOOPFACESquishpokePOOPFACE -21,248 posts (ignore below) Join Date: 2012-10-31 Member: 165262Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Odd... my computer is technically worse than yours and I get 60+ beginning game and 45+ endgame.
  • ScardyBobScardyBob ScardyBob Join Date: 2009-11-25 Member: 69528Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    Drowningw wrote: »
    it starts off fine, capped at 60 fps like i want it
    Ah ha! Do you have vsync on by chance? If so and you have a 60Hz LCD monitor, then that would be causing your issue. Here's an explanation of why:
    There is however a more fundamental problem with enabling VSync, and that is it can significantly reduce your overall framerate, often dropping your FPS to exactly 50% of the refresh rate. This is a difficult concept to explain, but it just has to do with timing. When VSync is enabled, your graphics card becomes a slave to your monitor. If at any time your FPS falls just below your refresh rate, each frame starts taking your graphics card longer to draw than the time it takes for your monitor to refresh itself. So every 2nd refresh, your graphics card just misses completing a new whole frame in time. This means that both its primary and secondary frame buffers are filled, it has nowhere to put any new information, so it has to sit idle and wait for the next refresh to come around before it can unload its recently completed frame, and start work on a new one in the newly cleared secondary buffer. This results in exactly half the framerate of the refresh rate whenever your FPS falls below the refresh rate.
    I do not use vsync in any multiplayer games, i like my mouse responsive :)

im capping my fps using nvdia inspector tool. its because in game fps cap cvar needs typing in everytime you start the game. and no point in getting 100+fps in menus and overheating the gpu.
    Squishpoke wrote: »
    Odd... my computer is technically worse than yours and I get 60+ beginning game and 45+ endgame.

can you share your exact settings and your specs please? im willing to install the game again if theres any hope of good performance.

im capping my fps using nvdia inspector tool. its because in game fps cap cvar needs typing in everytime you start the game. and no point in getting 100+fps in menus and overheating the gpu.

can you share your exact settings and your specs please? im willing to install the game again if theres any hope of good performance.
    Since you aren't being GPU bottlenecked, you might want to try playing NS2 without that program running. I don't know how its limiting framerate, but it may work in a way very similar to vsync.

Also, I don't think you need to cap your fps unless your actually seeing high GPU temps while playing NS2. This seems like a preventative measure that may be causing more problems than its solving.
    that program doesn't run during the game. all it does is allow you to use settings that are already within the nvidia driver. think of it as nvidia control panel, but with exposed advanced settings hidden from average users, but still made by nvidia. its nothing like vsync it just doesn't allow the gpu to go above whatever number you set. so i could use 69 if i was kinky, or 30 if i wanted to not notice much fps fluctuation. :)

the problem with uncapped framerate is that my gpu is then rendering 100+ fps in menus and during loading screens, which raises gpu temp needlessly. this isn't a problem and modern gpu's but gtx260 is a brute force card.

But sure, i can see if that affects the game in any way, ill download the game on my craptacular connection over night and then report back if there's any change.

• SquishpokePOOPFACESquishpokePOOPFACE -21,248 posts (ignore below) Join Date: 2012-10-31 Member: 165262Members, Reinforced - Shadow

Squishpoke wrote: »

Erm, I misread your specs originally. Looks like you have a Core 2 Duo, if I'm not mistaken. I thought it was a quad.

Intel i5 3450 @ 3.1Ghz
    GTX 460 (1GB video card)
    8 GB RAM

All settings low, native resolution.
    q9550 is a quad core, but its from the same era as core 2 duos :|. still downloading the game so duno if disabling frame liter will help.
  • SeeVeeSeeVee Join Date: 2012-10-31 Member: 165206Members
    shonan wrote: »
    SeeVee wrote: »

the game doesnt work properly for a lot of people right now, so it isnt odd at all, more like normal :P

The six other people I know besides myself meet or exceed the recommended specs and the only issue any of ever had was sometimes our bindings would reset and we would be at rookie mode again.

• randomroperandomrope Join Date: 2013-01-16 Member: 180026Members
    Also try turning off everything from Bloom to Texture streaming. It made my average FPS go from like 40-50 to 140-170. My texture quality is high and my res is 1440x900. Also, after I turned those off I can see EVERYTHING. Skulks can't even hide in shadows because there aren't any lol.