Resource flow

rein4cerein4ce Join Date: 2008-07-05 Member: 64567Members
Hi, just a quick thing that has been bothering pretty much all the time since the release:

Current personal res flow in public games usually means that throughout the round I can either save up entire time and buy lets say an Exo ONCE, and then im broke until the round is over, or similarly, I can wait for GL or Flamethrower, perhaps buy a pack of mines twice and that's it. Game will be over before I manage to save up enough money to afford anything again.

Of course there are some games where my team dominates 80% of the map and we literally drown in money, but that lasts for minutes till the round is done = start over.

Same thing on the aliens side: usually I can afford to buy Fade once during the game, on occasion (if i's a long game) twice, and that's it. If I ever want to evolve onos, that means I will be running skulk for 10 minutes..

Do you guys experience the same thing?

I mean, to me rounds should allow much more versatility, changing armament and tactics according to how situation develops, but I find myself constantly broke, with LMG in my hand and <10 pres, like 90% of the time (and no, I don't really suck that much ;) ). It doesn't help that most games I play dont last longer than 15, maybe 20 mins and that's simply not enough time to keep equipping yourself over and over..

Comments

• FrothybeverageFrothybeverage Join Date: 2003-02-15 Member: 13593Members
    Typically, I go fade twice in a single round.
    I go fade once I get 50 res, and then I usually last long enough to get a second fade which'll carry me over until the round is over.

If we're "swimming in res", sometimes I can go Onos or Fade after the second fade.
  • SquishpokePOOPFACESquishpokePOOPFACE -21,248 posts (ignore below) Join Date: 2012-10-31 Member: 165262Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    If you were not able to minimize your losses, you can beg your commander for handouts. Most commanders will usually grant your wish if you have been obedient.
  • ZekZek Join Date: 2002-11-10 Member: 7962Members, NS1 Playtester, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    You should always feel like you don't have enough res - that's what makes it so important. If you could easily afford what you want and be done, RTs would become superfluous after that point.
  • rein4cerein4ce Join Date: 2008-07-05 Member: 64567Members
    edited March 2013
    While I definitely agree that wise resource management is crucial to a meaningful gameplay, and players shouldn't just throw cash around whenever they feel like it, but I did notice however that in NS1 when my team needed some umbra support I could usually evolve to lerk in some random vent just like that, or go fade when there was a call for assault at specific location. When an unsecured RT presented itself, I would do a quick gorge drop and go back to skulk without even thinking twice about res being wasted.

But in NS2 that never happens. I go lerk or fade just because I FINALLY saved up enough res after laboriously drudging as skulk for most of the game. I can't say I ever decided to purchase GL or some mines because immediate scenario called for it (because I usually had no res by then anyway), not to mention that going onos is like serious one-shot investment now. (again, in NS1 I remember onosing few times per game but that might have been due to much longer gamespan/ dragged out end game).

And commander dropping guns? well, I know there is this option but honestly... haven't seen it being used once yet :/
  • firepowerfirepower Join Date: 2011-02-01 Member: 79839Members
    Would be good if you got a percentage of the value of res you killed whether it life form or structure. That's how it was in NS1. Think I need to load up NS1, just to get a feel how the two compare. I think the marines have it harder building, defending and attacking, as all aliens need to do is attack or defend. Were not macs and drifters originally for building structures, leaving players free to fight?
  • NeokenNeoken Bruges, Belgium Join Date: 2004-03-20 Member: 27447Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Playtester
    Games are shorter overall, hence you'll have less tries at higher lifeforms during one game.
  • tarquinbbtarquinbb Join Date: 2012-11-03 Member: 166314Members
    i don't understand what you're getting at... are you merely making an observation or are you suggesting something?

look at starcraft 2; if you can't afford many units it's because you're doing something wrong. learn to be efficient.

if you're being a good marine and placing mines, welding and shotgun(s) then you'll be low on resources compared to the greedy bozo marines who selfishly saved up for an exo since the start. but you don't win games if everyone is a bogarting bozo.
  • CrushaKCrushaK Join Date: 2012-11-05 Member: 167195Members, NS2 Playtester
    firepower wrote: »
    Would be good if you got a percentage of the value of res you killed whether it life form or structure. That's how it was in NS1. Think I need to load up NS1, just to get a feel how the two compare. I think the marines have it harder building, defending and attacking, as all aliens need to do is attack or defend. Were not macs and drifters originally for building structures, leaving players free to fight?

Marines build stuff a lot faster than aliens. If you walk around in a team of 2-3 players, it is as if build times don't even exist. Aliens have to wait a long time before their stuff gets ready if it's not supported by a building Gorge.
  • MaximumSquidMaximumSquid Join Date: 2010-07-20 Member: 72593Members
    rein4ce:

I usually Lerk, but with the improved hit reg I find myself dieing a lot faster

Even with this though it seems like I have around 30-40 res by the time I die as Lerk
    I typically go Gorge mid to end game if I don't have enough for Onos, but the pres is there if I wanted to go right back into it
  • bERt0rbERt0r Join Date: 2005-03-23 Member: 46181Members
    I guess you are just missing RFK. It was a much better system than what we have now. Plz, start the flames now.
  • tarquinbbtarquinbb Join Date: 2012-11-03 Member: 166314Members
    edited March 2013
    bERt0r wrote: »
    I guess you are just missing RFK. It was a much better system than what we have now. Plz, start the flames now.

i like the idea of good players being more self-sufficient to reward skill, but RFK would also have a reverse effect. being self-sufficient means you can more effectively compensate for your baddie teammates, but if the other team gains RFK then your baddie teammates just feed free resources to the other team.

it's another thing that works in competitive/contested games, but it would be absurdly frustrating for pub. like MW2 TDM where it's first team to 75 kills and your muppet team get 1:10 kdr's = GG.
  • OhnojojoOhnojojo Join Date: 2011-08-01 Member: 113400Members
    RPK was meh. Might work if you got like... 0.25 Pres per kill.
    I feel that tweaking the alien and marine Tres economy is worth looking at more than RPK.
  • CrushaKCrushaK Join Date: 2012-11-05 Member: 167195Members, NS2 Playtester
    We basically had reversed RFK the entire time now. You don't get any res yourself by killing someone but at least you denied their res. Instead of getting a high lifeform early if a player shines on a team, he is rather helping his entire team by holding the enemy Pres flow back until the rest of his own team can catch up with high lifeforms.
  • CrazyEddieCrazyEddie Join Date: 2013-01-08 Member: 178196Members
    rein4ce wrote: »
    I mean, to me rounds should allow much more versatility, changing armament and tactics according to how situation develops. It doesn't help that most games I play dont last longer than 15, maybe 20 mins and that's simply not enough time to keep equipping yourself over and over..

Choice of weapon/role in TF2 is a tactical decision.

Choice of weapon/lifeform in NS2 is a strategic decision.

NS2 is not going to play like or feel like TF2. That's intentional.