Calling all teamless NA players - Project NA kickstart

invTempestinvTempest Join Date: 2003-03-02 Member: 14223Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
Are you interested in playing NS2 on a competitive level but find it hard to find or create your own team?

Want to take your game to the next level?

Look no further - With backing from NS2Servers.com, Team Inversion, and Nexzil, I am proud to announce the start of "project NA Kickstart".

OK, so what the *%&$ is project NA Kickstart?

Good question, and thanks for asking!

In a nutshell I will be overseeing a team (or a collection if the demand is high enough) with the idea of taking the hard work out of creating a team by providing them with the necessary tools they need to effectively advance their NS2 game to the next level.

OK, so how do you actually plan on doing this?

Great questions, I can see you're already interested!

The first step involves some magic and waving of a wand and is rather complicated as I have to mix the right proportions of various chemicals into a beeker in the right order to... Umm actually it's pretty simple and there is nothing complex about it at all.

The first step is to find players who want to play NS2 competitively but are currently without a team. This is where you, the person reading this comes into play. If you have a desire to play the game at a higher level then we have the desire for you to join our team.

The next step is to not worry about who is going to pay for the teamspeak / mumble / vent / scrim server and let NS2Servers.com and Team Inversion take care of that by providing a scrim server and teamspeak server with ample room.

And finally, play the game and have fun - I know hard concept, but it should work in *theory*.

What is Nexzil doing? I haven't seen them mentioned yet.

I see you have been paying attention - Good job, that is a great skill to have!

Nexzil will be providing their ample stores of NS2 knowledge (team Inversion too). What better way to get better than to learn from the top NA teams?

When they have time, they will be helping out the farm team(s) by giving them pointers and insight into things that they need to improve on as a team. Not to mention they would be more than happy to stom.. I mean scrim the newly formed team and make them rag... ... Actually they just want to help players get into the competitive scene by teaching them as much as possible and giving them pointers.

OK, I'm interested, how do I sign up?

That is awesome, we want you!

The easiest way would be to add me on steam or message me via PM on these forums and let me know a little about you (don't need a biography but a little info would be nice so I can keep track of who is who) and what skill level (low, med, high) you think you are along with the marine and alien classes you can or are willing to play.

Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/anatempest

Also go ahead and add yourself to the steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/nakickstart

The # of teams that are formed out of this project depends on the number of players that show interest. I will be trying to form the team as best as I can but I can't guarantee any level of performance.

Also please be willing to take a level of criticism and be willing to lose (Every team will lose at first). This is probably the #1 reason why teams disband and that is what I am trying to avoid here.

Comments

• FlipperFlipper Join Date: 2012-08-08 Member: 155120Members
    Scrimming nexzil everynight for 3 hrs is a recipe for rage, beeeeen there.
  • Katana-Katana- Join Date: 2008-11-25 Member: 65575Members
    In the NS1 days, NA teams starting making 'farm teams.' Several teams gathered up a bunch of pub stars, or lower commitment competitive players, put them on a team and then mentored them through their first season.

It actually worked okay, but many of the farm teams broke up after 1 season.

Sounds like a pretty reasonable approach. If we get enough people we could have a nice healthy Div2 which would result in few stomps and less rage quiting.
  • RaccoonRaccoon Join Date: 2012-10-27 Member: 163999Members
    edited February 2013
    Flipper wrote: »
    Scrimming nexzil everynight for 3 hrs is a recipe for rage, beeeeen there.

last night.

Fantastic resources Tempest, I only hope people will take advantage of this great opportunity. Best of luck to all.

• WillzZzWillzZz Join Date: 2013-01-31 Member: 182667Members
    edited February 2013
    Great idea, it's hard to find regular NA scrims. However we can help grow the community, I'm all for it.

Nexzil seem to be really good guys, so this team will be all set if they're dedicated. If you're prone to ragequits I suppose it isn't as useful, but there's no other way to become a top tier player other than playing with them.
    I still think NA should agree on a couple nights a week to try and be more active. Like tuesday thursday nights are NA scrim night.

I think the lack of activity, combine with the lack of players and new teams is sort of a chicken/egg problem....
  • joshhhjoshhh Milwaukee, WI Join Date: 2011-06-21 Member: 105717Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
    edited February 2013
    That is probably mostly true. But in all honesty, the player base is there. Reddit has multiple pugs practically every night, and there are plenty of competent people on a lot of servers. With only 6 or 7 active NA teams around, there are usually only 3 teams (with enough players to scrim) on at any point during a night. Tempest's efforts are to drive some of the pub players, who want to get into comp and maybe do not know how to, into a competitive environment. I think this is a great idea and hope it works out. New NA teams might create the spark we need, on this side of the pond, to try to become more active. Good luck tempest!
  • VirsoulVirsoul Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151977Members, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Onos
    I fully support this project and will help any way that I can. I get asked a lot when I stream how people can get started in competitive play and it would be nice to be able to direct them somewhere.
    A second good idea might be to organize a weekend event, where we get players together to play some low stress scrims.

You would get a bunch of vets together, and a bunch of people who want to try out comp play. The teams would each have at least 1 more experience player. Then we would organize 1-2 scrims for each of these 'pick-up' teams.

I think this would be a great way to introduce the way competitive NS2 works... warm up time, playing both halves, the difference in play style and organization. The veterans can help people learn and the new players can get an introduction to the format if nothing else.

Does that sound like something that could work?

Also it seems like if we make it a weekend low stress event, we can get some people to try it out. Joining a team is a lot of time commitment, and a lot of people may not try out competitive style play because they don't want to make that commitment.

some people may decide they still aren't interested, others will stick around, either way we can raise awareness about how comp NS2 works, and illustrate that the comp community is more friendly then it first appears.
  • WillzZzWillzZz Join Date: 2013-01-31 Member: 182667Members
    We could set up a weekly weekend tournament for fun. A guaranteed event every weekend to look forward to would be fantastic, even if you can't get the bodies, you could watch casts (if someone wanted to cast) or merc.
  • insane_enufinsane_enuf Join Date: 2003-06-09 Member: 17160Members
    edited February 2013
    Joshhy is right with regards to r/ns2 pugs. We have been doing nightly US pugs for the past 2 - 3 months... and, oh yeah, we've had 160+ unique players (of which < 5% are in active US clans). I personally have played in over 60 of these pugs (commanding most of the time). Depending on how many people I can coax into mumble, we play between 6v6 - 8v8 games (and some nights with two 7v7's running simultaneously) with warm up time and playing both halves. So in essence, we have been doing precisely what Katana is suggesting daily. Some of the core of breakfast club got together from these pugs, I've recently put together another team from some of my dystopia friends and other various r/ns2 puggers, and i've coaxed another person ( to start putting together another team.

Tempest perhaps sometime we can talk and come up with a devious scheme to

a) publicize the reddit pugs to a wider ns2 audience to funnel pubbers into (semi)organized play

b) coax more of our regulars into forming teams

For reference here is our pug group: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/rns2pugs which we are still in the process of moving the nightly pick up games to, and here is the main r/ns2 group http://steamcommunity.com/groups/ns2reddit which we still announce to a few nights a week.

oh and I've started streaming the pugs:
  • statikgstatikg Join Date: 2012-09-19 Member: 159978Members
    What the NA scene is in need of is an influx of low-mid level teams. Right now there are a couple of low level teams, a couple of mid level teams and a few top level teams (and there might even be a like mid-high tier in there) and each tier only has 2-3 teams. So this creates this issue where if you want to scrim, you often either have to crush another team, or get crushed niehter of which are particularly fun.

Skill differentials in NS2 are compounded because of the snowball nature of the game.

This creates the situation where low-mid level teams form up, maybe are on 3-4 nights a week but can't find scrims or can only find scrims against teams that destroy them which very few people are willing to put up with on a regular basis.

I don't know if there is enough interest to get that "kick-start" the scene needs, but I think this is a great idea and I really hope it works :)
  • ChrisAUSChrisAUS Join Date: 2012-11-17 Member: 172108Members
    ^
    All of the above.

Wow. Good luck with everything related to this.
  • SoundFXSoundFX Join Date: 2003-08-21 Member: 20048Members
    edited February 2013
    This is lovely and I will be directing people here. Also a thanks to the people involved!

Also getting crushed is part of learning. Sure it's not fun, and I/We get frustrated no doubt. But for example, I think we scrimmed Inversion a while back. We had 1 RT most of the game. But we learned as a team learned some invaluable concepts that we have since employed.

I also second the fact that finding NA scrims is incredibly difficult. Gathers can always use more people as well!
  • lifesfunlifesfun Join Date: 2011-02-24 Member: 83302Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited February 2013
    This is a great idea, we just need to collaborate! I tried to start a reddit version of this a few weeks back. I have been thinking about this for a while, here are some additional ideas to consider.

The key to this is getting people to gathers and then giving them access to the competitive scene.(via NA kickstart)

There are four levels to this:

1. Pubs: The place you go when there is no place to go or you do not know any better. I have met a lot of players on pubs who complain about inconsistent games: that being from unbalanced teams, bad commanders, etc. Most people who play ns2 do not know where to find our groups, forum post, mumble servers, etc.

2. Causal/competitive gathers: People need places to meet other players, to hang out, to learn each others place style, and etc. This is ENSL, which is more competitive in nature, and Reddit pugs, which more casual, ranging from competitive players to rookies; who could be casually drinking coffee or casually taking birthday shots of vodka.(I hope i was not the only one) In each, teams are picked every two rounds by captains that try and make balanced teams.

3. Scrim pools: This what NA kickstart is about. Helping players who want to scrim get into the competitive environment, to be able to scrim and form teams.

4. Team scrims: New teams, unknown teams, and teams that want to do regular scrims need to know about each other.

Its like a funnel. Pub players > reddit pug + ENSL gathers > scrim pools(NA kickstart) > teams = competitive play and more fun!

We should try and organize the similar interest, a bit, and then pass the forum posts, mumble, events information on to our team members, so we can spread it to the rest of the NA community.

~I hope this post helps!

/dys/lifesfun

If anyone is interested in collaborating contact me:
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/lifesfun

• bizbiz Join Date: 2012-11-05 Member: 167386Members
    gl with this

might be helped if there was a steam group for what is essentially a giant team of mercs
    then for scrims you could just announce and hope 6 (out of a few hundred idlers) show up instead of your only option being getting owned by a real team

basically get a pug + scrim together. might lead to more teams being formed too.
    just a thought
  • SquishpokePOOPFACESquishpokePOOPFACE -21,248 posts (ignore below) Join Date: 2012-10-31 Member: 165262Members, Reinforced - Shadow
  • hypertrophyhypertrophy Join Date: 2013-02-27 Member: 183393Members
    This sounds great, and just what I'm looking for. I've been playing in the reddit pugs for a few days and its definitely a step up from pubbing in terms of both general skill level and knowledge. I always ask questions in the pugs and people answer, which is nice since there doesn't seem to be a real source of knowledge like liquipedia for NS2 where I could learn mechanics and strategies.

That's honestly my biggest issue right now: learning how to play this game properly instead of just ramboing in pubs doing whatever and still winning. I don't really understand the metagame besides 'kill their rts/defend yours' and have no idea of any timings or strategies, which is one of the reasons I've been putting off commanding since I just feel like I'm doing stuff randomly without any plan. I've been trying to look at some twitch vods of competitive teams scriming from which I've learned a couple things but it would be nice to have some knowledgeable people to learn from firsthand.

Anyway, I joined the steam group, looking forward to this.
  • SyknikSyknik InversionNS2.com Join Date: 2002-11-01 Member: 2064Members, Constellation, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow
    I'm glad this is finally in the works and hopefully it works out well! Can't wait to see what happens.
  • lifesfunlifesfun Join Date: 2011-02-24 Member: 83302Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    So to also help for this I created this Competitive 101 article. Also, for the update that came out today I am making a post of the resources I made to help new players.

cheers!

lifesfun
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/lifesfun
  • CCCorpCCCorp Join Date: 2003-03-14 Member: 14503Members, Constellation
    Great idea im sure others including myself would be willing too help in the need arises, more teams the better
  • Vile | FriskyVile | Frisky Join Date: 2012-11-04 Member: 166873Members
    I like this idea but may I suggest one of my own?

I've played in a lot of games competitively and participated in MLG Pro Circuit events and if there is anything I have learned it's that competitive communities die quickly when amateur players feel that it's an impossible task to break into the professional scene. For any of you who have been a professional gamer you know it's a steep climb and it takes a lot of work and getting crushed by an all star team will either make you or break you in terms of determination.

What often works the best to bring amateur players out of the woodwork is to host an online tournament that excludes professional players entirely. Post it on the forums and mention it in game chat that anyone can enter and they can make an impromptu team and just have fun. Set it as a 16 or 32 team bracket and each week players must play their round match (Week 1 Top 32, Week 2 Top 16, Week 3 Top 8, etc.

It's fun and gives amateur players a chance to play against player of similar skill. Just a thought.
  • YashokiYashoki Join Date: 2006-12-26 Member: 59256Members
    I'm with frisky.

An amateur league sounds like a really good idea. Having some support from casters and those who can stream would do wonders. Think of the way that the "pros" who play League of Legends do it. You can find tons of people streaming any day of the week
    Ok yeah thats a great idea! Well I try and set up a reddit tournaments for amateur teams for you guys. Ill try get some signups up after I talk to the mumble and server owners, etc.
  • SethbeastalanSethbeastalan Join Date: 2011-05-05 Member: 97360Members
    Relatively new to this game, but not new to the pro scene of gaming in general. Looking forward to working with whoever I get paired with.
  • CommunistWithAGunCommunistWithAGun Local Propaganda Guy Join Date: 2003-04-30 Member: 15953Members
    I think its a great idea, but the symptom of no NA teams goes deeper than the difficulty of finding a team. Best of luck.
  • YashokiYashoki Join Date: 2006-12-26 Member: 59256Members
    I think its a great idea, but the symptom of no NA teams goes deeper than the difficulty of finding a team. Best of luck.

So, care to elaborate?

• invTempestinvTempest Join Date: 2003-03-02 Member: 14223Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    edited March 2013
    This is still open for people to join!
  • CowMeatCowMeat Join Date: 2013-03-02 Member: 183557Members
    I'm interested.

Skin level average pub player.
  • CycloneCyclone Join Date: 2013-02-15 Member: 183099Members
    I'm in! I've been looking to get into the comp scene to improve my skill, and this seems like the perfect way!
  • ZoNKeDZoNKeD Join Date: 2013-03-16 Member: 184027Members
    Interested. Added to friends and joined the group.