Broken Skulks: The Tournament (AKA NSL Invitational )

GarfuGarfu Join Date: 2012-02-12 Member: 145170Members
edited March 2013 in NS2 General Discussion
Let's play a tournament for real money that could potentially send your team to Germany with broken gameplay mechanics introduced in a patch that won't get fixed until Monday! Yeah!!!!!!!!

Postpone until next weekend.

edit: OK so after playing all day Saturday I'm not actually as flustered as I was when I made this post. Still love the game :)

Comments

• JAMESEARLJONOSJAMESEARLJONOS Join Date: 2012-12-15 Member: 175155Members
    I feel sorry for comp players that have to endure this patch. The skulk movement is truly abysmal and completely terrible right now.
  • MorshuMorshu Join Date: 2012-08-13 Member: 155539Members, Reinforced - Shadow
  • CommunistWithAGunCommunistWithAGun Local Propaganda Guy Join Date: 2003-04-30 Member: 15953Members
    Garfu wrote: »
    Let's play a tournament for real money that could potentially send your team to Germany with broken gameplay mechanics introduced in a patch that won't get fixed until Monday! Yeah!!!!!!!!

Why bother? It's just going to be the same 3-4 top teams recycling against each other from now until infinity. The competitive scene in NS2 is on the Iron Lung. Like from the old looney tunes.
  • FuleFule Join Date: 2009-06-04 Member: 67683Members
    If all the people on this forums were crying in one place, they would cry a lake.
  • atLaNNatLaNN Join Date: 2004-08-03 Member: 30327Members, Constellation
    If all the people on this forums were crying in one place, they would cry a lake.

Oh hi eddie, arent you from new york ? :p
  • FlipperFlipper Join Date: 2012-08-08 Member: 155120Members
    Good teams on aliens will still beat the bad teams on rines.
  • GlissGliss Join Date: 2003-03-23 Member: 14800Members, Constellation, NS2 Map Tester
    Flipper wrote: »
    and evenly skilled teams will be marine favored... what's your point?
  • KilledByDeathKilledByDeath Join Date: 2012-12-26 Member: 176308Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Is it that much worse then evenly skilled teams being extremely Alien Favored
  • Kei-chanKei-chan Join Date: 2013-01-20 Member: 180898Members
    I was thinking about this last night, too...

I feel bad for comp players dealing with this patch all of a sudden; they should be playing with build 239. I'd like to try to get into it someday, but I'm either "on" or I'm not, and I wouldn't want to drag a team down when I'm doing terribly...
  • tarquinbbtarquinbb Join Date: 2012-11-03 Member: 166314Members
    every team has to play skulk at some point though... unless you're unlucky enough to draw alien in a tie breaker.

the post-launch esl final was played during the ridiculous onos rush strat in every game. every team suffers the ill effects, therefore it's not really unfair unless you're suggesting that some teams suck at marine and rely on their uber skulk skills.
    Gliss wrote: »
    Flipper wrote: »
    and evenly skilled teams will be marine favored... what's your point?

It was the opposite before the patch, so whats your point?
  • ScardyBobScardyBob ScardyBob Join Date: 2009-11-25 Member: 69528Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    A lot of good games in the tourny so far and I have to admit the games were more exciting to watch. There really weren't any skulk keyboard facerolling victories as aliens had to really coordinate early game to take down marines. It's finally nice to see multiple solid marine gameplay in comp matches.
  • elmo9000elmo9000 Join Date: 2012-03-24 Member: 149324Members
    imo the v-sync that cannot be forced off is a lot bigger problem. Good luck trying to do anything usefull when fps switches between 60 and 120 when moving mouse slightly.
  • RainyCaturdayRainyCaturday Join Date: 2013-02-19 Member: 183202Members
    I think this thread has derailed a bit but..

Apparently ENSL knew when the patch was coming and still decided to hold the tournament today, I don't know if UWE is entirely to blame here.

As for todays matches, quite a bit more Marine wins vs Alien wins.. it was noticeable that teams had an easier time vs the same team on Marines than Aliens in some cases.
  • wirywiry Join Date: 2009-05-25 Member: 67479Members
    Well some playstyles (agressive solo hero) really does suffer with the new alien movement. I think it does take some getting used to (and its what caused a lot of marine wins today in the tournament), but it does promote more team play as aliens and that is a big plus.

There's allways complaining when something big is changing and people whine about it the first few days or so, but once people learn how to play with the changes and be the most efficent with them, I could see there being a much more even win rate. It has only been two days, lets see how it turns out.

That said, it's a shame that this patch came out just before the biggest tournament we've had so far. Either the tournament or the patch could've been rescheduled. A lot of people haven't gotten used to the changes to skulk movement yet and the games have suffered to some extent because of it.

Also, fix elmos issues. He's a very sad camper on mumble.
  • LocklearLocklear [nexzil]kerrigan Join Date: 2012-05-01 Member: 151403Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, WC 2013 - Shadow
    edited March 2013

Why bother? It's just going to be the same 3-4 top teams recycling against each other from now until infinity. The competitive scene in NS2 is on the Iron Lung. Like from the old looney tunes.

Well with attitudes like that - sure.. why bother.. but for those of us who actually care and want the scene to grow.. it somewhat matters.

I heard that you were going to start a team yourself or something - why with the sour attitude towards the competitive scene?
  • GORGEousGORGEous Join Date: 2012-02-19 Member: 146762Members, NS2 Map Tester
    elmo9000 wrote: »
    imo the v-sync that cannot be forced off is a lot bigger problem. Good luck trying to do anything usefull when fps switches between 60 and 120 when moving mouse slightly.

Play full screen and restart your game.
  • fanaticfanatic This post has been edited. Join Date: 2003-07-23 Member: 18377Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    edited March 2013
    As for todays matches, quite a bit more Marine wins vs Alien wins.. it was noticeable that teams had an easier time vs the same team on Marines than Aliens in some cases.
    No, this is not true. The winrates from competitive games today (excluding gathers, but some pcws might be included) is 48.73% alien and 52.27% marine.

I will agree that it's a shame to see the patch one day before the tournament. This affected Mercury in a very tangible way today, as they lost a round to Saunamen due to a bug (at least they were in a really good position before the bug happened), which will most likely result in them not being able to reach the semi final.
    Locklear wrote: »

Well with attitudes like that - sure.. why bother.. but for those of us who actually care and want the scene to grow.. it somewhat matters.

I heard that you were going to start a team yourself or something - why with the sour attitude towards the competitive scene?

People who can't do it hate it, oldest rule in the book, besides number one: don't march on moscow.
  • ultranewbultranewb Pro Bug Hunter Join Date: 2004-07-21 Member: 30026Members
    fanatic wrote: »
    The winrates from competitive games today (excluding gathers, but some pcws might be included) is 48.73% alien and 52.27% marine.

How many are blowouts with one team winning no matter which side?
    Looking at the following, seems to mean those "statistics" aren't meaningful in the context you present:
    http://www.ensl.org/contests/current

• GORGEousGORGEous Join Date: 2012-02-19 Member: 146762Members, NS2 Map Tester
    fanatic wrote: »
    No, this is not true. The winrates from competitive games today (excluding gathers, but some pcws might be included) is 48.73% alien and 52.27% marine.

I will agree that it's a shame to see the patch one day before the tournament. This affected Mercury in a very tangible way today, as they lost a round to Saunamen due to a bug (at least they were in a really good position before the bug happened), which will most likely result in them not being able to reach the semi final.

What bug was that? Haven't had a chance to catch up on all the matches yet.
  • ÒŗăNģёÒŗăNģё Join Date: 2012-02-09 Member: 144437Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    In a game where you give marines 100% accurate weapons and big slow targets to shoot at its a bit silly to say this new skulk is "fine". Movement is key to survival as skulk in this marine favored shooter and when you put a brick on the skulks back it does not help any. I am just disappointed that the skulk is STILL being tweaked after release. How many more times are we going to have to learn the skulk again?
  • xDragonxDragon Join Date: 2012-04-04 Member: 149948Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow
    Something bugged where their command chair was unusable IIRC, not exactly sure what happened.

As for skulk movement, this movement is more balanced than the previous movement IMO, and honestly the changes only impact your play heavily if you are used to abusing the more broken parts of the current skulk. As for movement changing again thats pretty much a guarantee. There are so many broken aspects of the game currently, I'm somewhat disappointed that a small change like this that actually fixes part of that issue is met with such complaining, especially from some in the competitive scene.
  • WheeeeWheeee Join Date: 2003-02-18 Member: 13713Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    did they re-start the round? seems like it would be unfair to have mercury lose a game due to a gamebreaking bug.
  • fanaticfanatic This post has been edited. Join Date: 2003-07-23 Member: 18377Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    edited March 2013
    GORGEous wrote: »
    What bug was that? Haven't had a chance to catch up on all the matches yet.
    It's difficult to explain. After mercury got into a winning position in the early game, saunamen executed a series of desperation baserushes, killing several ccs at different points during the game, with mercury rebuilding at several different tech points. Somehow the one in datacore bugged after being rebuilt; it was stuck in the closed position and couldn't be recycled. This caused repeated problems for their commander, not being able to enter a cc for long periods of the game, notably at one point spawning in datacore and being repeatedly killed while trying to run from datacore to the working cc in atrium.
    Wheeee wrote: »
    did they re-start the round? seems like it would be unfair to have mercury lose a game due to a gamebreaking bug.
    Nope and I don't know why they didn't, although calling for a round restart in such situations is a difficult call for the admins. Mercury was obviously not happy about it and then went on to lose the next round as well, probably somewhat influenced by the rage.
    I am just disappointed that the skulk is STILL being tweaked after release. How many more times are we going to have to learn the skulk again?
    Unfortunately, an attempt was made to reinvent the wheel (walljumping), and further attempts are being made (new system), so you can expect to have to do it many more times.