Skulk speed is not lower

AsranielAsraniel Join Date: 2002-06-03 Member: 724Members, Playtest Lead, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Retired Community Developer
I dont know where the urban legend came from that skulks are slower in this patch. they are not. They have a little less acceleration, and you can't make a 360 in the air and keep your speed, but thats about it.

Just wanted to make that clear :)

Comments

• SixtyWattManSixtyWattMan Join Date: 2004-09-05 Member: 31404Members
    Hey guys are Skulks slower?
  • WhiteWeaselWhiteWeasel Join Date: 2012-11-25 Member: 173197Members
    Speed is is same, just less agile.
  • SavantSavant Join Date: 2002-11-30 Member: 10289Members, NS1 Playtester, Contributor
    Let me just say that this is where skill comes into play. I've seen some people with the 'new' skulks totally undress me with their moves. The tools are still there, it just takes a bit more skill to use them to the same extent as before imho.
  • TimMcTimMc Join Date: 2012-02-06 Member: 143945Members
    Yes but no but yes but no.

It does feel much slower without the acceleration. Less responsive is probably a better word. I'm sure marines prefer it this way, but as a skulk I find it hard to dance around marines in a corridor.
  • SixtyWattManSixtyWattMan Join Date: 2004-09-05 Member: 31404Members
    TimMc wrote: »
    Yes but no but yes but no.

It does feel much slower without the acceleration. Less responsive is probably a better word. I'm sure marines prefer it this way, but as a skulk I find it hard to dance around marines in a corridor.

It's painfully easy to shoot Skulks now.
  • Kei-chanKei-chan Join Date: 2013-01-20 Member: 180898Members
    May I say that despite being a terrible marine, I still try to play it occasionally, and since the patch went live, not only have I become worthless as a skulk, I've mysteriously become an incredible marine.

Perhaps it could have something to do with skulks moving slow and predictably now...

No, surely that's rubbish, a conspiracy concocted by disgruntled players who want to see alien win ratios climb with no concern for overall balance.
  • ScardyBobScardyBob ScardyBob Join Date: 2009-11-25 Member: 69528Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    Base speed hasn't been reduced, but maintainable speed has (as a result of the acceleration and friction changes).
  • CommunistWithAGunCommunistWithAGun Local Propaganda Guy Join Date: 2003-04-30 Member: 15953Members
    Asraniel wrote: »
    I dont know where the urban legend came from that skulks are slower in this patch. they are not. They have a little less acceleration, and you can't make a 360 in the air and keep your speed, but thats about it.

Just wanted to make that clear :)

How can you playtest a game without knowing things as basic as skulk movement alterations
  • ritualsacrificeritualsacrifice Join Date: 2012-11-14 Member: 171148Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    They certainly didn't make skulks any slower, and all the walljumping routes I used to take are still just as fast as they used to be. As far as I can tell the only change to skulk movement is that you can't maintain wall jump speed once you hit the ground anymore, which shouldn't really change much unless you ground skulk a lot.

• MorshuMorshu Join Date: 2012-08-13 Member: 155539Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    To be honest I can't really tell the difference I always make use of walljumping whenever I'm a skulk so dunno what's up with people talking about the skulk being "broken" and so on.
  • ExoskelettExoskelett Join Date: 2012-12-18 Member: 175509Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    wich urban legend? must be a bit blind if you dont feel the skulk suffers speed atm. celerity now deals the same speed as build 239 without it
  • RainyCaturdayRainyCaturday Join Date: 2013-02-19 Member: 183202Members
    edited March 2013
    ScardyBob wrote: »
    Base speed hasn't been reduced, but maintainable speed has (as a result of the acceleration and friction changes).

I.E. Skulks are slower. In the worst way, the acceleration and keeping of momentum was what made skulks deadly. If anything reduce base speed and bring back the accel and momentum.
    Morshu wrote: »
    To be honest I can't really tell the difference I always make use of walljumping whenever I'm a skulk so dunno what's up with people talking about the skulk being "broken" and so on.

If you hit the ground at all. All your speed is lost almost instantly.
  • VigilantiaVigilantia Join Date: 2002-01-25 Member: 51Members
    edited March 2013
    On one hand, skulks do seem easier to hit nowadays on servers. On the other hand, I've been fighting off a lot of "charge straight at marine balls" skulks than before. Maybe there's a new influx of players causing this coupled with the removal of NITRO-COFFEE skulk acceleration and improved hit-reg?

I do find it easier to win a 1:1 when I should than before though. No more "you're a marine and a skulk is dodging down a long narrow corrider, kill skulk and survive with 10hp" situations.
  • rantologyrantology Join Date: 2012-02-05 Member: 143750Members, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold
    It should be noted that skulks seem easier to hit because the animations have been improved, it's not purely the accel/friction changes.
  • ritualsacrificeritualsacrifice Join Date: 2012-11-14 Member: 171148Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    I think the issue is that people are used to skulks being able to solo 2 or 3 marines at a time, when in reality it should be that one marine can take on 2 or 3 skulks at a time if they fight him head on.
  • SeeVeeSeeVee Join Date: 2012-10-31 Member: 165206Members
    Good... I have been playing FPS games since 1999 and my aim does not suck. It's very discouraging to shoot the skulks knowing I was hitting them but not getting credit for it.
  • MouseMouse The Lighter Side of Pessimism Join Date: 2002-03-02 Member: 263Members, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    The main problem I've found when skulking in this build is that although a skulk near a wall is still relatively deadly, a skulk caught in the middle of a room is screwed. Moreso if they've just run past a marine and need to turn around and go back to attack them.
  • countbasiecountbasie Join Date: 2008-12-27 Member: 65884Members
    Kei-chan wrote: »
    May I say that despite being a terrible marine, I still try to play it occasionally, and since the patch went live, not only have I become worthless as a skulk, I've mysteriously become an incredible marine.

Perhaps it could have something to do with skulks moving slow and predictably now...

No, surely that's rubbish, a conspiracy concocted by disgruntled players who want to see alien win ratios climb with no concern for overall balance.
    Well, we all new the day of better HitReg would come, and that the marines will be much stronger then, so there's another reason you could think of.

Good one?
  • tarquinbbtarquinbb Join Date: 2012-11-03 Member: 166314Members
    edited March 2013
    edit nvm ironhorse answered already
  • Mattk50Mattk50 Join Date: 2013-02-04 Member: 182824Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    I think i figured out the big beef i have with the skulk speed change. Its that with marines, when you die your shit can be picked up by other players, and thats great. When shotguns were buffed, alien higher lifeforms started dying a lot more, which was also fine. But now that skulks are mediocre and higher lifeforms die frequently, when you do die you have no fall back like the marines have with picking up weapons.
  • NominousNominous Baltimore, MD Join Date: 2012-02-18 Member: 146518Members
    Mattk50 wrote: »
    I think i figured out the big beef i have with the skulk speed change. Its that with marines, when you die your shit can be picked up by other players, and thats great. When shotguns were buffed, alien higher lifeforms started dying a lot more, which was also fine. But now that skulks are mediocre and higher lifeforms die frequently, when you do die you have no fall back like the marines have with picking up weapons.

That isn't related to skulks, though. You just have to be more aware of your surroundings as a higher lifeform and know when to bail. Gorges can now bile bomb dropped weapons btw.
  • Mattk50Mattk50 Join Date: 2013-02-04 Member: 182824Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited March 2013
    Thats not to say everyone doesnt die now and then, the issue is when you die as a marine you always have something good to fall back on, your team upgrades + the lmg. Meanwhile, the skulks are mostly fodder atm, till they fix that bug ironhorse mentioned, i imagine anyway.
  • JektJekt Join Date: 2012-02-05 Member: 143714Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
    Hitting the ground and losing all momentum is a bug, regrettable for my smashed keyboard.
  • thefrozenonethefrozenone Join Date: 2013-02-24 Member: 183302Members
    edited March 2013
    Skulks are called skulks for a reason. They are not meant to be, dipping and diving and doing impossible 720's mid-air. Their speed hasn't been lowered, only their ability to impossible maneuvers mid-air.

The acceleration thing is just a bug.

Skulks now are more reliant on hiding above doorways and attacking from behind, like they were SUPPOSED to be.
  • WhiteWeaselWhiteWeasel Join Date: 2012-11-25 Member: 173197Members
    edited March 2013
    Why don't we have someone breakout the code pre and post build 240 to end this argument once and for all?
  • nsguynsguy Join Date: 2010-01-03 Member: 69869Members
    Does it matter if it's actually slower or not? It feels slower.