Gorgeous Update: My observations thus far

Kei-chanKei-chan Join Date: 2013-01-20 Member: 180898Members
edited March 2013 in NS2 General Discussion
Been playing since the patch launched. I've gone through 15+ matches and I haven't seen aliens win at all. Not even once. I've been on about three different servers and three maps each, including descent, which is *heavily* Marine-biased, though that's beside the point.

To summarize, aliens were nerfed and marines were buffed. Both sides were given new toys to play with, but the problem isn't those in particular, but rather that nerfing on one side accompanied by buffing on the other has resulted in a tremendous shift in balance. Only one or the other was needed, not both. Aliens didn't need nerfed. Marines needed buffed. As it stands, the game isn't even really worth playing, and I've put over 150 hours into it since getting it in the Steam Holiday Sale, so from me, that's saying something.

Aliens received the following nerfs, for those of you who didn't read the changelog:
1. Lerks now have "tracers" on their spikes, meaning when they fire, they have a huge obvious "HERE'S THE LERK" pointing at them.
2. Skulks have been made "heavier" somehow. They're slower all-around, but wall-jumping and walking is practically worthless now. When you go to wall-jump, rather than inheriting the momentum and the gravity and being launched forward faster (as has been the go-to tactic for skulks), you instead sort of... anticlimactically fall to the ground.

Marines received the following buffs:
1. The addition of Railgun exos, which cost 50 res and can deal 400 damage per shot; they're as effective as a dual mini exo (if not more) for 25 less res and requiring no additional research.
2. Phase gates now phase 2.5x faster.
3. Exos no longer suffer slowdown when backpedaling.
4. Exos are faster, in general, save for the dual mini exo, which seems about the same speed.

Everything would've balanced out fine if not for the alien nerfs. The gorge tunnels, frankly, feel largely worthless. Getting a gorge (already a soft, slow, noisy target) behind enemy lines to build a tunnel is a tremendous feat. What's more is that it's far too expensive to be worthwhile: 30 res from the commander, 10 res for each tunnel for the Gorge. I have yet to see one successfully go up.

Babblers, too, feel worthless. I've heard that they're really intended more as distraction/armor, but their AI is so bad that they can't really function as a distraction, and they rarely stick to an alien long enough to provide any protection as additional armor (not that it matters, since shotguns have yet to be nerfed to the point where anything but an onos can survive a blast). If they're meant to be capable of attacking, I have yet to see it.

I can understand where marines were coming from prior to the patch with their complaints about aliens being OP, but even so, I was at the receiving end of many a marine stomp before, except now that's ALL I see.

I had been looking forward to getting some friends to get NS2 due to the new patch and the sale, but now I'm even taking my recommendation off of the store. My experience with this new patch today has been far from fun, it's been frustrating and horrid. I've literally lost all desire to play.

Comments

• SampsonSampson Join Date: 2012-01-06 Member: 139769Members
    marines win, aliens lose. OP, fix it and move on.
  • Kei-chanKei-chan Join Date: 2013-01-20 Member: 180898Members
    Sampson wrote: »
    Yeah, in summation:

I have a bug report, marines win every match.
  • ResRes Join Date: 2003-08-27 Member: 20245Members
    Sampson wrote: »

Did you just tell the OP to fix it?

I'm betting that the skulk movement nerf alone is having a huge affect on marine wins. It was really an unneeded nerf and only serves to make the game less fun by limiting movement. if skulks need to be nerfed, it needs to be done in a way other than nerfing movement.
  • agallochagalloch Join Date: 2012-11-09 Member: 168650Members
    Marines are unfairly biased now.

Aliens needed ONLY a nerf to bile, that's it. Marines needed SOME way to counter early lerks - that's it!

Fucking who thought of putting tracers on the lerks? Does that make any sense whatsoever, even logically?
  • SquishyOneSquishyOne Join Date: 2005-01-11 Member: 34963Members
    It's slightly useful to marines to be able to phase faster. None of the exo changes mean much considering exos are pretty bad and in any event a small speed buff in a unit not used until 20 minutes into the game doesn't change anything.

The main difference in this patch thus far is skulk movement and the fact that all the aliens on pubs are screwing around with their new toys instead of playing seriously. The gorge thing, that will be fixed in a day or two as people get used to babblers. Skulk movement is interesting, it definitely changes the dynamic early game quite a bit, frankly it feels more like ns1 would feel if there was no bhop and if celerity wasn't upgraded. Perhaps making celerity a useful upgrade like it was in ns1 would help the problem a bit.
    Frankly, the changes to skulk and lerk are what I feel is ducking everything up.

Those were unnecessary and silly nerfs. Everything else is fine, though I'd like to see the res investment in gorge tunnels reduced and the babbler AI improved.
  • john_wesleyjohn_wesley Join Date: 2013-02-28 Member: 183445Members
    I'm not sure that the lerk received a straight nerf- while the spikes do make it far easier for a marine to trace a lerk, they do provide some disorientation which may make it more difficult to trace other targets making the lerk a stronger support class in group combat. On the other hand they do become less viable when alone, as you can no longer sit on a roof and spike confused marines on the ground constantly. I actually think this may cause better overall pub play with lerks, as you will probably see fewer lerks just sitting on walls and shooting spikes.

Although, I will miss lerking in crevice where you could fly outside of the render distance and spam spikes at the rt/power often resulting in several very confused and frustrated marines looking up and down for any sign of a lerk. It seems my ultimate trolling class is gone :(

Also, babblers are only 1 res point so you get what you pay for. I've found they do a pretty good job of sucking up a marines ammo, especially from the marine perspective.
  • ZekZek Join Date: 2002-11-10 Member: 7962Members, NS1 Playtester, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    Lerk hidden spiking was a pain in the butt to deal with, just really not fun IMO. I'm okay with a tracer, if it's too big a nerf maybe make spikes a little bit stronger.
  • StardogStardog Join Date: 2004-10-25 Member: 32448Members
    edited March 2013
    The spike tracer is far too obvious. It's like they're firing missiles or something. The particle needs to fade out much faster, and not leave a huge trail.

I noticed jumping around as a skulk seemed a bit slow, but I didn't realise they had changed something.
  • bERt0rbERt0r Join Date: 2005-03-23 Member: 46181Members
    Well, so far UWE has been going a bit overboard with all the atmospheric particles. *cough* wipers for marine helmets *cough*
  • BULLET WIZARDBULLET WIZARD Join Date: 2013-01-05 Member: 177702Members
    Perhaps if the devs found that the lerk tracers were otherwise a change for the better, perhaps the silence upgrade could remove them?
  • briatxbriatx Join Date: 2013-01-18 Member: 180352Members
    edited March 2013
    I like the lurk tracers. Makes it so that it's not always... "there's a lurk somewhere hitting power... need a scan."

I find it funny that you are complaining about basically the alien version of phase gates. Ninja phase was what everyone told me was the Marine answer to the bile rush.

I think if we suddenly see competitive matches going all Marine, we'll know the answer. It was, as everyone knows, heavily Alien biased (70/30).

I love that marine-biased players pull ratios out of their butt whenever things aren't going their way.

"B-but aliens win 65% of the time! It's cause they're so OP!"
  • DarkATiDarkATi Revelation 22:17 Join Date: 2003-06-20 Member: 17532Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited March 2013
    I largely agree with Kei-chan. Skulks feel like bricks now and I have only seen marines win once since this latest patch. But that was because the marines were awful. They beat themselves.

The biggest problem I feel is the nerfed skulk movement. It just isn't fun being a skulk anymore. Celerity is a must with this patch.

I like the lerk tracer spikes. It was always odd to me that the spikes were pretty much invisible.

• RippsyRippsy Join Date: 2013-01-16 Member: 179921Members
    Now you at least have the possibility of a lone skulk getting through enemy lines, going gorge, putting up a ninja tunnel and then having 2/3 friends appear to bilebomb/rush. It means the Marine commander needs to sure up his front lines and hunt any aliens which penetrate it. Should create some interesting situations at least - I do think its too early to tell either way.
  • amoralamoral Join Date: 2013-01-03 Member: 177250Members
    honestly, i just thought everybody was a really bad groundskulk. and when i played aliens, we won a bit, but that's because the marines were bad. also, lerks are still op.
  • hitokirihitokiri Join Date: 2012-12-06 Member: 174315Members
    Talk about aliens loose, seem to not talk about team play and explain in witch case the alien can't win. Before aliens can destroy a base in less that 10 sec. Now it's a little more fair as marine you need time and support by commander and all your teamate.
  • VigilantiaVigilantia Join Date: 2002-01-25 Member: 51Members
    edited March 2013
    Kei-chan wrote: »
    I love that marine-biased players pull ratios out of their butt whenever things aren't going their way.

"B-but aliens win 65% of the time! It's cause they're so OP!"

65% actually was the alien win rate according to NS2Stats (for competative play only). Pub play stabilized around 55-60% aliens win rate. We did not pull stats out of our ass. UWE acknowledged there was a balance issue as well.

Also, are the win rates skewed? Who knows. It's been less than 24 hours since the patch came out and getting the data necessary to come to a conclusion will take about a month (just like how the initial release win rate was 50:50 and then changed to 60:40 after several weeks). If within several weeks we find there is a skew in win rates then there definitely should be a change. However, until that time comes, we shouldn't assume make knee-jerk reactions.

Troll response: Oh, look, the aliens are losing a majority of their games... I feel SO SORRY for you. We should balance it as fast as we balanced the previously skewed Aliens:Marines win ratio. See you in 4 months.
    I thought finding the hidden lerk was a fun mechanic, as a MARINE. :|

Scanning around frantically, guided by the damage indicator, then checking up and down until you catch that familiar shape, in return you're awarded with a good chunk of damage on the Lerk if he isn't fast enough to lift off after being spotted. It's a high risk high reward move for a lerk.

They were a little bit silly if the Lerk played its cards right. With alien vision and pinpoint accuracy, you could harass Exos and slow marine advances really easily. I'm not sure if it's balanced but they are now easier to spot in large open areas like Cave/Cargo where before it took several eyes or a scan to find them. Also, does any know if the hydras have the same special effect now as well?

I have to agree though. If I wasn't the one getting spiked, it was fun to play "find the Lerk."
  • rebirthrebirth Join Date: 2007-09-23 Member: 62416Members, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    Imho it's too early to make these kinds of calls.
    Many people are busy trying out the new toys (or simply focus on getting them) instead of playing "properly".
    Give it some time until the novelty wears off and people are going back to playing "to win", that will probably impact those win rates once again.
  • XariusXarius Join Date: 2003-12-21 Member: 24630Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    I don't get why this long after release they are still messing with the skulk's basic mechanics. They really should have just left its movement the way it was, fixed its hitbox and addressed some of the other problems the alien side has. (Economy, economy, economy, something UWE has been ignoring pretty much since forever)
  • _Necro__Necro_ Join Date: 2011-02-15 Member: 81895Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited March 2013
    Like Mestaritonttu wrote, it was a high risk high reward move. Because of the 100ms latency you can be dead if you don't react quickly as soon as you got hit. Shooting at Exos from far way was even more risk. Your damage was a joke against the Exo, but boy if he sees you, you are dead before you know. With the trails you can just forget about sitting on walls and spiking. It was very risky before the patch. Now it is a death-sentence. I don't know if this was necessary.

To the rest of the OP:
    15+ Matches are a joke. We won't know about balance in a week, so stop arguing as if you can predict the future.
    Arguments like this appear after every patch in every game. Just search this forum for the patch-note threads. So many people that "tell their friends to not buy NS2 because its broken". *yawn* Same procedure as every patch...
  • tarquinbbtarquinbb Join Date: 2012-11-03 Member: 166314Members
    edited March 2013
    i disagree with all of the open points in the OP.

phase gate faster: this was a needed buff as the marine team was on too much of a knife edge, losing a phase gate is far worse than even losing a hive.

lerk tracers: looks good, and more balanced for low level play while not really effecting high level play.

railgun: deals 200 damage to lifeforms. ergo it takes a loooooong time to kill fade/gorge/onos without help.

exo speed: this makes exo's more viable.

babblers: free carapace isn't a buff? (well i guess it does cost small change)

gorge tunnel: NYDUS WORM IS USELESS!
  • ED0ggYED0ggY Join Date: 2003-06-08 Member: 17103Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Something about the skulks movement feels alot slower on the ground, you need to basically be a master of walljumping to gain any speed,

anyone else notice
  • TobbelTobbel Join Date: 2013-02-12 Member: 183021Members
    For me, skulk seemed like the most balanced class...
  • SoundFXSoundFX Join Date: 2003-08-21 Member: 20048Members
    Kei-chan wrote: »
    stuff

Here's what I believe is happening: With the two teams marines is by far the most familiar, and it's ease of use is attributed to that. Aliens are however much more difficult, especially if there is anyone that can aim well on the other team.

New players that aren't working together are much more detrimental to aliens than they are to marines. I say this because marines that aren't following orders are still generally being a nuisance to the alien team, if only taking away at least 1 players attention. Pair that with the above and now all your engagements are being lost. Map control is lost. Exo suits are coming to stomp your hive.
  • soccerguy243soccerguy243 Join Date: 2012-12-22 Member: 175920Members, WC 2013 - Supporter
    Stardog wrote: »
    The spike tracer is far too obvious. It's like they're firing missiles or something. The particle needs to fade out much faster, and not leave a huge trail.

They are firing missiles Noun
    An object that is forcibly propelled at a target, by hand or mechanically.
  • peregrinusperegrinus Join Date: 2010-07-16 Member: 72445Members
    The green trail makes it look like the spikes are poisonous.
  • FuleFule Join Date: 2009-06-04 Member: 67683Members
    peregrinus wrote: »
    The green trail makes it look like the spikes are poisonous.

Well, they do light up the target just like the skulk ability.
  • kelevra386kelevra386 Join Date: 2012-12-18 Member: 175425Members
    In response to Gorge tunnels. Aren't these designed not so much to be "ninja" gates but more to allow fast tracks between key Alien held area's? Like Hive to Hive tunnels to prevent Aliens being stranded on one side of the map?