The original story that inspired Natural Selection

SystemSystem Join Date: 2013-01-29 Member: 182599Members, Super Administrators, Reinforced - Diamond
edited February 2013 in NS2 General Discussion

imageThe original story that inspired Natural Selection

I was looking through my files today, and came across an old story I wrote. It was dated May 3rd, 2000, which means it was written before I started working on the first Natural Selection. It’s the first thing written for the game and I remember writing it in one sitting.

Read the full story here

Comments

• PersianImm0rtalPersianImm0rtal Join Date: 2010-12-02 Member: 75414Members, Constellation, NS2 Map Tester
    This is awesome! Thank you, this story was amazing.
  • whoppaXXLwhoppaXXL Join Date: 2006-11-03 Member: 58298Members, Reinforced - Shadow
  • PersianImm0rtalPersianImm0rtal Join Date: 2010-12-02 Member: 75414Members, Constellation, NS2 Map Tester
    Reminds me of a mix of like... aliens, starship troopers and tribes
  • godriflegodrifle Join Date: 2006-12-01 Member: 58815Members
    Is my post awesome too?
  • RainyCaturdayRainyCaturday Join Date: 2013-02-19 Member: 183202Members
    So was the whole "Judge:" thing eluding to the way marines respawn? Did he get "reconstructed" with new skills and memory along with his new name?
  • HughHugh Cameraman San Francisco, CA Join Date: 2010-04-18 Member: 71444NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Onos, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts
    whoppaXXL wrote: »
    Manly tears.

I wanted to 'awesome' your post twice. Once for the words and once for your avatar.
  • LocklearLocklear [nexzil]kerrigan Join Date: 2012-05-01 Member: 151403Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, WC 2013 - Shadow
    Move to your waypoint, soldier!
  • hypertrophyhypertrophy Join Date: 2013-02-27 Member: 183393Members
    I don't know how many people will remember Harmless Games' Infantry (circa 1999 iirc), which was later bought by SOE (Sony Online Entertainment), but there was a zone in that game called Bug Hunt which had many of the same concepts and tropes as NS2; the map was on a space station and the main alien class was able claw, bite and shoot spit and marines had a commander that warped them to his location and tried to capture objectives. Don't know the devs ever played it or if it's just a coincidence, but nevertheless it's a game I enjoyed for a long time so it's nice to see it reincarnated in a way.

P.S. the sheer cheesiness of the story made me smile XD
  • -WildCat--WildCat- Cape Town, South Africa Join Date: 2008-07-19 Member: 64664Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    So was the whole "Judge:" thing eluding to the way marines respawn? Did he get "reconstructed" with new skills and memory along with his new name?

I was wondering the exact same thing. The two paragraphs beginning with the words "Judge: After ten seconds..." are a bit confusing.

To me, it seems more like a description of how the respawn mechanic would be presented to the player rather than a description of how respawning occurs within the story of the game. It seems to me like the player gets to play as another different marine character after his first marine character is killed, and the time difference is explained away by saying that the second marine is unconscious for a while after landing.
  • SixtyWattManSixtyWattMan Join Date: 2004-09-05 Member: 31404Members
    John Stalvern waited. The lights above him blinked and sparked out of the air. There were demons in the base. He didn't see them, but had expected them now for years. His warnings to Cernel Joson were not listenend to and now it was too late. Far too late for now, anyway.
    John was a space marine for fourteen years. When he was young he watched the spaceships and he said to dad "I want to be on the ships daddy."
    Dad said "No! You will BE KILL BY DEMONS"
    There was a time when he believed him. Then as he got oldered he stopped. But now in the space station base of the UAC he knew there were demons.
    "This is Joson" the radio crackered. "You must fight the demons!"
    So John gotted his palsma rifle and blew up the wall.
    "HE GOING TO KILL US" said the demons
    "I will shoot at him" said the cyberdemon and he fired the rocket missiles. John plasmaed at him and tried to blew him up. But then the ceiling fell and they were trapped and not able to kill.
    "No! I must kill the demons" he shouted
    The radio said "No, John. You are the demons"
    And then John was a zombie.
  • giogio Join Date: 2012-08-14 Member: 155618Members
    I don't know how many people will remember Harmless Games' Infantry (circa 1999 iirc), . . .

I played the _crap_ out of that game! Bug Hunt was an isometric pre-NS for me - claustrophobic hallways with vents, variety of classes and roles and necessary squad teamwork (if you wanted to live). And you could eat marine hearts for health!

Nostalgia.. I mostly played CTF and commandoed flags from under many medics noses...
  • thefonzthefonz Join Date: 2011-06-22 Member: 105847Members
  • NarfwakNarfwak Join Date: 2002-11-02 Member: 5258Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Playtest Lead, Forum Moderators, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica PT Lead, NS2 Community Developer
    John Stalvern waited. The lights above him blinked and sparked out of the air. There were demons in the base. He didn't see them, but had expected them now for years. His warnings to Cernel Joson were not listenend to and now it was too late. Far too late for now, anyway.
    John was a space marine for fourteen years. When he was young he watched the spaceships and he said to dad "I want to be on the ships daddy."
    There was a time when he believed him. Then as he got oldered he stopped. But now in the space station base of the UAC he knew there were demons.
    "I will shoot at him" said the cyberdemon and he fired the rocket missiles. John plasmaed at him and tried to blew him up. But then the ceiling fell and they were trapped and not able to kill.

I like the DOOM comic better. YOU ARE HUGE THAT MEANS YOU HAVE HUGE GUTS RIP AND TEAR
  • SquishpokePOOPFACESquishpokePOOPFACE -21,248 posts (ignore below) Join Date: 2012-10-31 Member: 165262Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Narfwak wrote: »

I like the DOOM comic better. YOU ARE HUGE THAT MEANS YOU HAVE HUGE GUTS RIP AND TEAR

Heresy. Doom, the Repercussions of Evil is a literary masterpiece with no equal.
  • GISPGISP Battle Gorge Denmark Join Date: 2004-03-20 Member: 27460Members, Playtest Lead, Forum Moderators, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Onos, WC 2013 - Gold, Subnautica Playtester, Forum staff
    edited March 2013
    Social games that encourage role-playing where you have time to meet and talk with your teammates in a non-combat situation before the action starts. End result: real drama
    Readyrooms FTW! Had some great moments clicking on cheese :)

• reasareasa Join Date: 2002-11-10 Member: 8010Members, Constellation
  • ogzogz Join Date: 2002-11-24 Member: 9765Members
    A half-dressed soldier runs by the open door. Zipping up a duffel bag and adjusting the rifle slung over her back.

I see female marine reference
  • WheeeeWheeee Join Date: 2003-02-18 Member: 13713Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    I don't know how many people will remember Harmless Games' Infantry (circa 1999 iirc), which was later bought by SOE (Sony Online Entertainment), but there was a zone in that game called Bug Hunt which had many of the same concepts and tropes as NS2; the map was on a space station and the main alien class was able claw, bite and shoot spit and marines had a commander that warped them to his location and tried to capture objectives. Don't know the devs ever played it or if it's just a coincidence, but nevertheless it's a game I enjoyed for a long time so it's nice to see it reincarnated in a way.

P.S. the sheer cheesiness of the story made me smile XD
    after harmless it was run by sony. i played it for years. sniper/commando ftw.