What do you want to know more about? Ask your questions for the next Podcast

WasabiOneWasabiOne Co-Lead NS2 CDT Join Date: 2011-06-15 Member: 104623Members, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
Hello Everyone!

First off thank you for making the WasabiOne Podcast such a great success! We are reaching on average over 3,000 downloads and some have even topped 6,000!!! AS you know I love to do interviews, I feel that at the core this is really the most exciting part of each episode and I want to bring you more. Please let me know who you would like to hear from and what questions you are dying to have answered. Whether it be a DEV or a Popular community player, I will get the answers you deserve. Well till the next episode, thank you!

Comments

• rantologyrantology Join Date: 2012-02-05 Member: 143750Members, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold
    Liam and/or Collin - the prop artists! :D
  • ScardyBobScardyBob ScardyBob Join Date: 2009-11-25 Member: 69528Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    I'd love to hear from some of the NS2 mappers. Things like where do they get inspiration for their designs, what are the best and worst things about mapping using the spark engine, stepping us through the process of how to make a map for NS2, any useful hints, insights, or amazing experiences from being a mapper/level designer either for NS2/UWE or from another game/studio.
  • WasabiOneWasabiOne Co-Lead NS2 CDT Join Date: 2011-06-15 Member: 104623Members, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
    awesome so far, keep em coming!
  • derWalterderWalter Join Date: 2008-10-29 Member: 65323Members
    charlie: why is going everything more restrictive? information flow cut off (no more vids, no more development tracker, no more numbers at all) are you getting greedy and becoming a normal gamestudio?
  • moultanomoultano Creator of ns_shiva. Join Date: 2002-12-14 Member: 10806Members, NS1 Playtester, Contributor, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    I'd suggest using google moderator for this: http://www.google.com/moderator/
  • HowserHowser UK Join Date: 2010-02-08 Member: 70488Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Retired Community Developer
    edited February 2013
    I'd like to hear more about the history of mineshaft, docking, refinery and descent from the mappers that designed and built them. There seems to be very little public information on their origins. It would be nice to hear about any ideas that they tried which didn't work out.
    Edited: forgot we can't get pics on a podcast!
  • whoppaXXLwhoppaXXL Join Date: 2006-11-03 Member: 58298Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Why hasnt EA bought you yet?

Why is there no new alien lifeform?

Why do you want to make a new game?

Why is WasabiOne crushing my headphones steadily?

Why not more awesome blogposts?

Why Podcast and not video?

Why why why why?
  • tamalontamalon Join Date: 2012-11-08 Member: 168470Members
    in an article about first person spectator mode, it was stated that:

'contrast to the ruthlessly efficient league system of Starcraft 2, our game is an ancillary system desert, and we are developing plans to address this deficiency in the medium term.'

is their any more information you could reveal about this much needed system?
  • SwatinemSwatinem Join Date: 2012-10-29 Member: 164362Members
    So my question is to Max or Brian, whichever is more suited to answer it:

Is the team using any continuous integration / automated testing to make sure there are no regressions both in functionality and performance?

The last few patches needed hotfixes rather quickly so maybe those issues could have been caught by automated testing?

And another question for Max:
    The rocket repo on github hasn’t seen a commit since 7 month, is it abandoned or are there any other plans to make the lua execution itself faster?
  • thefonzthefonz Join Date: 2011-06-22 Member: 105847Members
    In order of importance to me. List works both ways.

Could you make any recommendations to some wants to try their hand at mapping? Descent looks awesome, could you hint at how many more official maps are planned? Maybe a hint as to what is next?

What do the devs use as handles in game? Most know strayan and flaryra (did I fark that up, need more coffee), but what about the other devs? Could there be a 'play the devs weekend' in the future?

Poll the dev team: light or dark beer?

This one is a doozy, sorry....
    How much wood could a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck was a skulk?
    Corollary, with adrenaline?

:P
  • WasabiOneWasabiOne Co-Lead NS2 CDT Join Date: 2011-06-15 Member: 104623Members, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
    more great questions! someone asked why podcast and not video? good question, Well I am not an employee of the Unknown Worlds team my time is spent doing a lot... of NS2 related duties though and I thought to myself, what better way to spread the word to a larger group of people? Podcast... you can listen on the go, in your car, on a plane, at your office, anywhere. I have had many requests for a video version as well, but honestly I just dont have the time to edit a video to fit with the podcast :( I encourage some of you to go back an listen to past episodes, there are great interviews with a lot of the other devs on the game and you get some great audio!

Also FYI, there is a Special Edition of the Podcast coming out later tonight or tomorrow morning that will definitely excite you guys!
  • waxxanwaxxan Join Date: 2012-11-17 Member: 172047Members, NS2 Playtester
    Id love to get a few words of advice, for how/where to start developing "indie" games in this scale.
  • MaydayMayday Join Date: 2010-11-21 Member: 75150Members
    edited February 2013
    Ask the dev's why "Down With This Sort of Thing" isn't being removed from the workshop.

There's texture skins for people who need to have pretty pixels, and then there's blatant creations to gain a huge playing advantage.

Reporting/flagging it isn't doing jack shit. It needs divine intervention from UKW/Valve.

In some ways, it's even worse then wallhacks, because at least then you could still hide in the shadows (in theory?)

• nSidianSidia Join Date: 2012-08-15 Member: 155651Members
    1st question. Are dead hives intended to spawn eggs?
    2nd question. Why was spark written in c++ and not c#?
    3rd question. Are the devs willing to redesign the game for eSports players who feel the game has a individual low skill ceiling?
    4th question. Not really a question but I would love to see UWE steal from other games more often. Dota, CS and SC. Many great ideas in these game that could work really well in NS.
    5th question. Any plans on making the economy more interesting?(could model pres just like how cs money works.)
    6th question. Are med packs and ammo packs in a final state?(half of them fall out of the level and under tech nodes)
    7th question. Will the menu ever been redesigned? if not why.
    8th question. What is the target audience UWE wants to aim for going forward?

thanks

• XoPhyteXoPhyte Join Date: 2013-05-31 Member: 185431Members
    whoppaXXL wrote: »
    Why hasnt EA bought you yet?

The day this happens, I will, and believe many others, will immediately stop playing this game.

• Maxx11_v2.0Maxx11_v2.0 Join Date: 2012-11-18 Member: 172221Members
    edited September 2013
    What they think about a potential microtransaction model based on cosmetic changes (think DOTA2) to fund continued development of both the game and the engine it runs on.