What you can expect from the Gorgeous Patch

Comments

• ultranewbultranewb Pro Bug Hunter Join Date: 2004-07-21 Member: 30026Members
    Of course continued development is designed as a selling point. Also, this just in, water is wet. See the full story at 11.
  • FLuXFLuX Join Date: 2002-12-30 Member: 11633Members, NS2 Playtester, Subnautica Playtester
    I expect (hope) a decently refreshed playerbase, and without any details cause you guys will get to see it in two days, by far ns_descent is my new favorite map and always excited to play it during our PT sessions. I also expect (hope) people will pick up on some of the finer details and new tactical options the new abilties/items will provide and not just look at them for face value but further realize all the potiental we've seen in our testing. Otherwise I really expect the community to enjoy the new content a lot. =]
  • marsvinmarsvin Join Date: 2011-03-22 Member: 87920Members
    How has no one commented on this?
    ... you'll see enemies like the Gorge just explode like a watermelon getting hit with a hammer ...

O_O
  • SteveRockSteveRock Join Date: 2012-10-01 Member: 161215Members, NS2 Developer, Subnautica Developer
    Major gameplay changes incoming, minimal information on what's changing. Basically this patch is getting put out to try to sell more copies, and no doubt a massive discount on steam will appear simultaneously. If you're an existing member of the community though, just assume the position wait and see. Thanks UWE!

Can I ask why you feel this way? That's an honest question...I'm not sure why you're feeling exploited or screwed over by us releasing new stuff and not saying much about it until we feel it's ready (because this stuff changes a lot).
  • shaq_mobileshaq_mobile Join Date: 2009-12-10 Member: 69575Members
    edited February 2013
    Yeah i dunno what the hate is all about. They're releasing new content... for free. whats the problem?
    marsvin wrote: »
    ... you'll see enemies like the Gorge just explode like a watermelon getting hit with a hammer ...

O_O

So the next upgrade for Exos is "Gallagher Arm" AKA Sledgomatic?
  • BensonBenson Join Date: 2012-03-07 Member: 148303Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    I want to Gallagher some Gorges. I want to so bad.
  • RainyCaturdayRainyCaturday Join Date: 2013-02-19 Member: 183202Members
    Yeah i dunno what the hate is all about. They're releasing new content... for free. whats the problem?
    marsvin wrote: »

O_O

So the next upgrade for Exos is "Gallagher Arm" AKA Sledgomatic?

Pretty sure it is an effect of a (max) charged railgun shot
  • remiremi remedy [blu.knight] Join Date: 2003-11-18 Member: 23112Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester
    edited February 2013
    SteveRock wrote: »
    And yes, of course we expect more sales from this, because we think it makes the game better. And doing the sale will also get more new people playing NS2 - we think that's a net positive.
    I sure hope you get more sales, and this community should too! ...otherwise the support for this game will cease (as we don't live in a fairyland where game studios are funded by sunshine and game devs can live off happiness).

• FappuchinoFappuchino Join Date: 2012-10-10 Member: 162008Members
    Major gameplay changes incoming, minimal information on what's changing. Basically this patch is getting put out to try to sell more copies, and no doubt a massive discount on steam will appear simultaneously. If you're an existing member of the community though, just assume the position wait and see. Thanks UWE!
    ?

wl3nrr.gif
  • PeppermintNightmarePeppermintNightmare Join Date: 2013-02-02 Member: 182743Members

Not sure if serious?

Good, well priced, independent, unique, fun game you've already purchased is on the cusp of having a slew of content added for nothing and attracting a ton of new players and you're somehow making this a negative?

You do know they have to FINISH the changes right? As in, they haven't actually fully completed the patch, they aren't just sitting there waiting to press the release button.

How can you expect them to accurately tell us what is changing until things are changed..

I'm not really into reading up about what's coming in the next patch but the changes I have heard seem largely not-crazy.
  • twogorgesoneskulktwogorgesoneskulk Join Date: 2013-02-26 Member: 183355Members
    edited February 2013
    You can't tell me it's normal for the devs of a game that is played competitively to not know exactly what is going into the patch one day before it hits. You should know exactly what the changes are going to be weeks before the patch is released, and let the community know, in detail, what you are planning. We need to know more than just "railguns, gorge tunnels". What happened to being open with the community here? If features are still going in at this point then the patch isn't ready for primetime, and you're doing your existing community a disservice by releasing it regardless and basically asking them to beta test it (again, and possibly break a game people care about) just to cash in on some more newbies, half of which won't even be able to play due to terrible performance (still).
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    You're obvious, troll.
    Newly created account with admitted familiarity with the game's past and only have inciting posts.
    Obvious.
    Shoo
  • NeokenNeoken Bruges, Belgium Join Date: 2004-03-20 Member: 27447Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Playtester
    edited February 2013
    You can't tell me it's normal for the devs of a game that is played competitively to not know exactly what is going into the patch one day before it hits. You should know exactly what the changes are going to be weeks before the patch is released, and let the community know, in detail, what you are planning. We need to know more than just "railguns, gorge tunnels". What happened to being open with the community here? If features are still going in at this point then the patch isn't ready for primetime, and you're doing your existing community a disservice by releasing it regardless and basically asking them to beta test it (again, and possibly break a game people care about) just to cash in on some more newbies, half of which won't even be able to play due to terrible performance (still).

It is normal to only trickle out pieces of information when you're trying to build up some interest and get people enthousiastic about something. You're trying very hard to see some kind of ulterior motive in this. Brighten up, it's a content update with new goodies for everyone. Why should this be something to flame about?
  • ScardyBobScardyBob ScardyBob Join Date: 2009-11-25 Member: 69528Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    Can I ask why you feel this way? That's an honest question...I'm not sure why you're feeling exploited or screwed over by us releasing new stuff and not saying much about it until we feel it's ready (because this stuff changes a lot).
    Because new players are like plague bearers that we must avoid at all costs, apparently.
  • CrushaKCrushaK Join Date: 2012-11-05 Member: 167195Members, NS2 Playtester
    One does not simply announce patch notes before the patch is life. The backlash from some individuals in the community along the lines of "But here you said that X would be in the patch and now X is not included but Y has a different value! Are you too lazy, or what?!" is always causing more trouble than it's worth to put up with.
    People are nailing devs too easily down on stuff they said at some point and which might have changed behind the scenes. An example of that can already be seen in the comments that claim that the devs wanted the content of Gorgeous to be in the game at release already. It makes it really hard to stay in touch with the community if you give them a hand and they bite the entire arm.
  • NarfwakNarfwak Join Date: 2002-11-02 Member: 5258Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Playtest Lead, Forum Moderators, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica PT Lead, NS2 Community Developer
    The development process is very iterative so the notes can't really be put to the page until the RC is just about to head out the door. There's a lot of stuff that goes in one day and comes out the next because it didn't work out and trying to keep track of all that stuff in a compiled master list outside of the mantis database would end up being a big fat productivity sink. Telling everyone that something is going to be in the patch because it popped up in a playtest and then was immediately axed isn't very helpful either for rather obvious reasons. Trying to give you the exact details on how railgun exos and gorge tunnels behave before that's a settled issue is pretty darn counter-productive.

tl;dr: you don't wanna see us making gorge sausage unless you like seeing us cleaning out all the space pig poop and throwing it in the trash.

This isn't very different from any other company. The companies that do see a lot of patch notes floating around are generally those that have a public testing program, MMOs in particular.
  • XariusXarius Join Date: 2003-12-21 Member: 24630Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    This must be an internet first, people bitching about free stuff. Oh wait, no, sadly it probably isn't.
  • peregrinusperegrinus Join Date: 2010-07-16 Member: 72445Members
    ~~~"release the patchken"~~~
  • rmbrown09rmbrown09 Join Date: 2012-10-17 Member: 162592Members
    One feature I am really hoping for is improved infestation like you see in the loading screens. It's very poofy and bubbly and nice. However in game it looks more flat and spread out.
  • SteveRockSteveRock Join Date: 2012-10-01 Member: 161215Members, NS2 Developer, Subnautica Developer
    rmbrown09 wrote: »
    One feature I am really hoping for is improved infestation like you see in the loading screens. It's very poofy and bubbly and nice. However in game it looks more flat and spread out.

One word: performance :) Cory took a lot of those shots when we just started working on infestation, but as we approached release, we realized we had to simplify it for performance.
  • CommunistWithAGunCommunistWithAGun Local Propaganda Guy Join Date: 2003-04-30 Member: 15953Members
    IronHorse wrote: »
    You're obvious, troll.
    Newly created account with admitted familiarity with the game's past and only have inciting posts.
    Obvious.
    Shoo

I don't think that's very fair, his post was thought out and not inflammatory in the least, it doesn't make someone a troll when they disagree with you. I disagree with him in part, but I don't think he's trolling...
  • Angry ChildAngry Child Join Date: 2012-12-05 Member: 174256Members
    Fanboys, the crutch of improvement
  • FappuchinoFappuchino Join Date: 2012-10-10 Member: 162008Members
    Fanboys, the crutch of improvement

Are you implying anyone and anything said that doesn't fill your presumption of what a fanboy is, is right and fair?
  • peregrinusperegrinus Join Date: 2010-07-16 Member: 72445Members
    Have babblers made it in? I want to pet them and keep them in a little cage with a wheel.
  • Side1Bu2Rnz9Side1Bu2Rnz9 Join Date: 2012-10-16 Member: 162510Members, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited February 2013
    I love reading the forums... makes me laugh :D
  • schkorpioschkorpio I can mspaint Join Date: 2003-05-23 Member: 16635Members
    edited February 2013
    I gotta agree, after years of beta testing ns2 and having a really open way of communitcating with the community, these days (ever since release) I really feel like the doors have been firmly shut. Despite having a full time marketing person onboard now.

CrushaK wrote: »
    One does not simply announce patch notes before the patch is life. The backlash from some individuals in the community along the lines of "But here you said that X would be in the patch and now X is not included but Y has a different value! Are you too lazy, or what?!" is always causing more trouble than it's worth to put up with.
    People are nailing devs too easily down on stuff they said at some point and which might have changed behind the scenes. An example of that can already be seen in the comments that claim that the devs wanted the content of Gorgeous to be in the game at release already. It makes it really hard to stay in touch with the community if you give them a hand and they bite the entire arm.

People are going to complain no matter when the patch notes are released. And its not hard to ignore or lock a thread full people crying needlessly.

Having the patchnotes come out 1 day before the release of the patch isn't asking too much is it? I'd love to read them to see whats new / changed so I know what to look for when the patch is released. Otherwise I feel like im going in blind.

Not to mention having a trailer 24hrs ahead of time seems like a great way to build up hype - i'm sure as hell not going to watch the trailer once I can play the game myself.

I can only guess, but i'd say it's something to do with the fundamentals of the game not being fixed or improved (despite hoards of people posting about them) but seemingly being pushed aside for new content. e.g. skulk wall jumping.

• RainyCaturdayRainyCaturday Join Date: 2013-02-19 Member: 183202Members
    Stuff

--Cory

Why can't I Agree and Awesome you enough! Thanks for informing the uninformed.