Retiring my fade

SolaritySolarity Join Date: 2012-11-13 Member: 170515Members, Reinforced - Shadow
I played fade in ns1 and got good at it in ns2. Though after playing lerk recently I think it is a far superior life form:
40% cheaper than fade
Usable earlier
Faster than fade
Smoke screen
Less down time at hive
Scales better at end game
Has a useful 3rd hive ability

Right now I think it makes more sense to save and go onos instead of fade.

Comments

• WobWob Join Date: 2005-04-08 Member: 47814Members, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    Fade more mobile - Can easily evade aim of marines.
    Can kill jetpackers quicker/easier
  • ArgoshArgosh Join Date: 2011-01-21 Member: 78474Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    downtime at hive is no valid reason since a good com always mists you.
    Also the damage outpost of the fade is superior but both shine when combining attacks (e.g. spore cloud blurrs vision and fade recks havoc)
  • ScardyBobScardyBob ScardyBob Join Date: 2009-11-25 Member: 69528Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    Solarity wrote: »
    Faster than fade
    If you get good at shadowstep+jump+doublejump you can actually move around the map much faster than the lerk.
  • AurOn2AurOn2 COOKIES! FREEDOM, AND BISCUITS! Australia Join Date: 2012-01-13 Member: 140224Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Forum staff
    fade is the demise of many a good and bad marine. the lerk is not so much.
  • sotanahtsotanaht Join Date: 2013-01-12 Member: 179215Members
    edited February 2013
    Lerk moves at a speed of 11, 13 with celerity. Fade blink is 16, shadowstep jump is 21 (WITHOUT celerity), blink jump with celerity is also 20+. Fades are MUCH faster than lerks.

As far as combat is concerned... Lerk VS 2 marines will probably end up with the lerk doing a little bit of damage and running away. Fade vs 2 marines is a slaughter for the fade. Lerks shine as harassers, not killers. They weaken marines and make them run back to their armories, but are absolutely terrible at killing marines and responding to marine threats. The sole exception is vs a jetpacker, where lerks are the most effective 1v1 out of all lifeforms.
  • thefonzthefonz Join Date: 2011-06-22 Member: 105847Members
    Argosh wrote: »
    downtime at hive is no valid reason since a good com always mists you.
    Also the damage outpost of the fade is superior but both shine when combining attacks (e.g. spore cloud blurrs vision and fade recks havoc)

He means for healing, not evolving. I think.
  • deathshrouddeathshroud Join Date: 2010-04-10 Member: 71291Members
    edited February 2013
    i think the lerk is way more useful, but 2 fades can cause serious problems and the lerk looses its potency later on and your forced to just spore the marines or risk insta shotgun to the face. But early game lerks can dominate.
  • GrueneMedizinGrueneMedizin Join Date: 2012-12-13 Member: 175008Members
    Lerks are paperthin and can't kill/hold back bigger groups of marines (without spores).
  • ritualsacrificeritualsacrifice Join Date: 2012-11-14 Member: 171148Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    It's easier to learn the basics of Lerking, but a good marine will still tear you to shreds. Mastering the Lerk is pretty fucking hard though, and I've seen lerks that scared me more than a lot of Fades. I think Fade is harder to learn initially, but has a lower skill ceiling. Not saying there's a low skill ceiling, but it's lower than with the Lerk imo.
  • IAMKINGIAMKING Join Date: 2012-09-14 Member: 159328Members
    It's easier to learn the basics of Lerking, but a good marine will still tear you to shreds. Mastering the Lerk is pretty fucking hard though, and I've seen lerks that scared me more than a lot of Fades. I think Fade is harder to learn initially, but has a lower skill ceiling. Not saying there's a low skill ceiling, but it's lower than with the Lerk imo.
    it's the opposite actually. there's almost no difference between top lerks because there's simply not that much you can do with them mechanically.
  • ScardyBobScardyBob ScardyBob Join Date: 2009-11-25 Member: 69528Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    I find that good lerking is more useful in comp matches rather than public ones, since having an early counter to marine harvester harassing is important. In public matches, fades win many games. The common way I see this play out in pub matches is:
    - Marines expand until aliens get fades (only slowed by lerks)
    - Marines defend/contract until they can get either w3/JP or exos (or else they lose)

Of course, this is highly dependent on the skill of the fades involved. I've seen one good fade carry a team and ten terrible ones lead aliens to a loss.
  • ZEROibisZEROibis Join Date: 2009-10-30 Member: 69176Members, Constellation
    Solarity wrote: »
    I played fade in ns1 and got good at it in ns2. Though after playing lerk recently I think it is a far superior life form:
    40% cheaper than fade
    Usable earlier
    Faster than fade
    Smoke screen
    Less down time at hive
    Scales better at end game
    Has a useful 3rd hive ability

Right now I think it makes more sense to save and go onos instead of fade.

I always used lerk over fade in ns1, welcome to the club.

• shaq_mobileshaq_mobile Join Date: 2009-12-10 Member: 69575Members
    edited February 2013
    Lerks have their place, but one well placed shotgun blast means instant death. Regardless of how good you are. I've seen occasional lerks go 20 or 30 kills before dying. I've seen fades semi regularly get 20-40 kills before dying. The biggest difference is fades last past armor 1. Lerks have to spend so much time spiking and biting after armor 1 that its virtually pointless to attack and they have to fall back and rely on harassment (which is still pretty good). Great lerks delay games, great fades end them.