Why do 'pro' players play in rookie servers?

Comments

• Slyfox101Slyfox101 Join Date: 2012-11-11 Member: 169370Members
    edited February 2013
    Sops wrote: »

Incorrect, when the feature was added it was intended that servers would use the tag to denote that it is a server willing to be accepting and helpful to new players, not that it is a server just for rookies.

I'm sorry, but I fail to see where you are drawing the line. Is team-stacking with competitive players accepting and helpful to new players?

I think you missed the overall point in my post. Which is simply

99.9% of the people who play this game are bad. There's not much difference between "I JUST GOT THIS GAME" bad, and "I'm a casual player" bad. There's absolutely zero skill level difference between any of the servers up in this game right now. It's the same consistent level of terrible play. The people who fall into the category of good players are an extreme minority, and would have the effect they have on any server they join.

Obviously you are not serious when you say '99.9%' but you must realize that the extremity of the majority of your post can take away from the simple points you are trying to make. I disagree that the category of good players are the 'extreme minority' when there are less than 2,000 people concurrently playing the game.
    Shino wrote: »
    stuff

Why would you assume that your only options are public games and not playing? There are rookie-friendly, and normal servers. There are public games, scrims, practice, and tournaments. I even saw someone list a server intended specifically for veteran players.

• SavantSavant Join Date: 2002-11-30 Member: 10289Members, NS1 Playtester, Contributor
    Scatter wrote: »
    Yes low skill casual players, your love of 24 player servers, immersion, cysts, power nodes and other stuff we don't is the reason why there are too few high skilled players and why we have to stomp you. Consider it comeuppance for having wrong opinions.
    Keep it up, and soon all those pesky pub players will be gone and it will be you and a few dozen others left playing. Then you'll never have a problem finding a server since there will only be 6 left and 4 will be empty.

:|
  • ritualsacrificeritualsacrifice Join Date: 2012-11-14 Member: 171148Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Slyfox, I think most everyone you're talking about would rather be doing a scrim or a gather, but the thing is those aren't happening all the time. Sometimes you just have to play in the servers that you can find a game in. When I play any time after 9:00pm, which is when I do most of my gaming, chances are there are maybe 4 servers that have games going on that I can get into.

Team stacking when people don't really have an option to leave and go play somewhere else does really suck though.
    Slyfox, I think most everyone you're talking about would rather be doing a scrim or a gather, but the thing is those aren't happening all the time. Sometimes you just have to play in the servers that you can find a game in. When I play any time after 9:00pm, which is when I do most of my gaming, chances are there are maybe 4 servers that have games going on that I can get into.

Team stacking when people don't really have an option to leave and go play somewhere else does really suck though.

I understand that a high-tier experience is not something that is consistently available, but why would players rather team-stack public rookie games rather than go through the effort to start something consistent?

Also, I have no issues with people playing together or skilled people playing in public games, I'm talking more about rookie-friendly servers because that is what I believed to be the best environment for new players to learn at their own pace. Or at least it seems to be intended to work that way.

I'm not saying 'oh these players are wrong for playing the game', more-so along the lines of 'my friends quit playing because they cannot find a comfortable environment to play in.'

Their main reasoning for this was the high-tier players they found in rookie-friendly servers, making the game seem like a brick wall rather than a difficult curve of progression.
  • xDragonxDragon Join Date: 2012-04-04 Member: 149948Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow
    Comp players shouldnt be joining rookie servers really, atleast multiple comp players joining the same team. Single players here and there you really cannot do much about, nor can those people completely change the course of a 24p server (despite many people thinking that).

Most highly skilled comp players dont pub, or dont pub very often... Its really the slightly above average players that do, which while not unstoppable in any means if there are more than a few on the same team, it can become an issue in rookie servers. In the end thats up to the admins to decide.
  • LunosLunos Join Date: 2009-08-18 Member: 68518Members
    Unfortunately I live over 3000 miles from the nearest server which severely limits my options when it comes to getting decent latency. I usually have a choice between three servers of which two are usually rookie/green. I don't consider myself a pro by any means but nor do I consider myself a rookie but I'm not going to limit myself to one server just because of that fact.
  • WakeWake Join Date: 2003-03-05 Member: 14351Members, Constellation
    I make a point of admining a couple of rookie servers as well as educating them. Many have questions that are too afraid to ask. I open this dialog right at the beginning with, "If you have any questions, feel free" especially if they are new commanders. That and I've gotten quite a few testimonials from recently de-greened players after I recommended that they watch the Tutorial videos I provide.

I encourage other players to share what information they have freely to new players even if they don't ask for it, most people will open up to a friendly personality over a "show em how pros do it" kind of "teaching".

Great.

I guess most of players would prefer to play with mates in his own level range.

Unfortunatly, there is no answer yet, and you must try to stick with better players, hoppefully they will help you but this is not always the case.

And to be fair, you've gotta help yourlself too, don't always wait for answers from other people.
  • XaoXao Join Date: 2012-12-12 Member: 174840Members
    edited February 2013
    Immersion isn't a bad thing.

Stopped reading, you're talking about a multi player only game, stop forcing single player game mechanics into a multi player only game, NS2 has this train wreck smatter of realism/immersion additions that make absolutely no sense when you list them alongside each other for its setting because they are blatantly ripped from other games.
    xDragon wrote: »
    atleast multiple comp players joining the same team.
    This is the problem 9/10, no one gives a fuck that you're a try hard comp player, people start giving a fuck when 5-8/24 comp people are joining the same team over and over sapping all the fun out of the server. If you're so fucking good let go of your clan mates dick for 20 minutes and play on opposite sides.

edit: filter

• SherlockSherlock Join Date: 2012-11-09 Member: 168595Members
    If only Rookie players could play on Rookie servers, then those games would be pretty terrible, and no-one would learn anything.

Now, I don't consider myself Pro, but I can be rather good. I will play on Rookie servers to 1. recruit new players, 2. teach new players, and 3. introduce new players to the wonders of the game. I don't troll, stack teams or try and wipe the floor with people.

If it would make your heart ache less, OP, I can re-enable my Rookie Mode so you won't even know I'm a "pro" player when I play on a Rookie server?
    Sherlock wrote: »
    If only Rookie players could play on Rookie servers, then those games would be pretty terrible, and no-one would learn anything.

Now, I don't consider myself Pro, but I can be rather good. I will play on Rookie servers to 1. recruit new players, 2. teach new players, and 3. introduce new players to the wonders of the game. I don't troll, stack teams or try and wipe the floor with people.

If it would make your heart ache less, OP, I can re-enable my Rookie Mode so you won't even know I'm a "pro" player when I play on a Rookie server?

I highly recommend you read more than just the starting post of the thread before responding. Thanks for the effort though..
  • MestaritonttuMestaritonttu Join Date: 2004-07-29 Member: 30229Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold
    edited February 2013
    I think the OP is complaining about people purposely going into servers where they know most of the people are awful, not people who are good at the game playing it.

Word. Most naysayers are just tiptoeing around the issue, which is the above. YES, it's okay to own on rookie servers if there's no choice. Like poor fana who's got nowhere to go, everyone is a rookie to him. But don't try to tell yourself "OH THIS NOOB SERVER HAS 5MS BETTER PING, I GOTTA GO THERE HRRM HRMM" -just so you could stomp on beginners. Nobody's buying it. Grow a pair.

EDIT:
    It's funny to me how the OP seems to think as if there are dedicated high skill pub servers.

Newsflash: Every pub server, regardless of it having a rookie friendly flag, has the same caliber of play.
    Disagree with this, but maybe it's an EU thing - there is a VERY noticeable gap between rookie servers -> normal UWE servers -> "old" servers from beta. No, it's not a beginner -> pro kinda gap, but it's still the difference between a stomp and a fair game.
  • FrothybeverageFrothybeverage Join Date: 2003-02-15 Member: 13593Members
    Xao wrote: »
    Immersion isn't a bad thing.

Stopped reading, you're talking about a multi player only game, stop forcing single player game mechanics into a multi player only game, NS2 has this train wreck smatter of realism/immersion additions that make absolutely no sense when you list them alongside each other for its setting because they are blatantly ripped from other games.
    So list them.
  • ellnicellnic Join Date: 2010-07-19 Member: 72559Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Here is how I find most of my servers, as I'm sure many players do.
    1. Login to NS2.
    2. Open Server Browser , All other 2. notes,
    3. Sort by Player count tab
    4. find server with enough open slots to not be kicked by unmarked reserved slot, but full enough to not be a dead server.
    5. Join
    Note: All other aspects are the server are irrelevant: name, map, rookie or not...

Also, "pro" in this game just means "competitive and better than most of the other competitive teams."

Pretty much what I do, regardless if its a rookie or not.

It there is people in the server, empty slots and i have a good connection then I will join. What that is, is probebly just lazyness, so that my reason why
  • MestaritonttuMestaritonttu Join Date: 2004-07-29 Member: 30229Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold
    I don't believe for one second someone joins a server with a check list of "enough players? enough slots? good ping?" -but skips "is it on my level?". Unless of course, there are no levels or no options yadda yadda disclaimer.
  • Ghosthree3Ghosthree3 Join Date: 2010-02-13 Member: 70557Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    You best be believing in full servers, we're in them.
  • FrothybeverageFrothybeverage Join Date: 2003-02-15 Member: 13593Members
    I don't believe for one second someone joins a server with a check list of "enough players? enough slots? good ping?" -but skips "is it on my level?". Unless of course, there are no levels or no options yadda yadda disclaimer.

I use the in-game filter to do most of the work for me.
    I don't list modded servers/empty servers, nor do I list anything over 150 ping.

There's around 6-8 servers that I ping below 100 to, well, ones that frequently have people on them.
  • MaxAmusMaxAmus UK Join Date: 2003-12-26 Member: 24779Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow
    so what would you have, all rookies joining a server not knowing much if anything about the game or knowing what to do or even how to command? they would quit the game?

When the game was launched 95% of all the servers were rookie friendly... and if it was not for all the players that where playing in beta, playing in those servers, commanding, teaching, then alot of players may have just quit.

But i agree if theres a "group" of players that target these servers to play on just to kill/own these "rookies" then thats not right.
  • luminalumina Join Date: 2012-06-15 Member: 153300Members
    I have put a lot of hours into this game now. I can count on one hand the number of times I have seen multiple players from a good team on the same server. This excuse for not likeing the game is a joke. You can switch servers or join their team.

Your friends didn't quit because of these silly reasons. They don't like this game because it takes a lot of time to learn and get good at. This game doesn't have achievements or unlocks. Your friends need these or they don't feel like they are progressing, or have anything to work toward. Getting better isn't good enough for them.

Stop blaming good players and realize that this game just isn't for most of todays gamers.
  • statikgstatikg Join Date: 2012-09-19 Member: 159978Members
    edited February 2013
    Its absolute bullshit that high level players are "forced" to join rookie servers. Maybe if you live in australia or asia or something this is the case, but in NA and euro there are MORE then enough normal servers that I have not joined a rookie server since shortly after release, and never even had to consider doing so.

People who say otherwise are just trying to justify getting their kicks from stomping nubs.
  • CrazyEddieCrazyEddie Join Date: 2013-01-08 Member: 178196Members
    Nobody likes to play games against people who are vastly better than themselves, because nobody likes to play games they have no chance of winning.

Unfortunately, it seems the opposite is not always the case. It seems that there are some very good players who really enjoy playing games they can't possibly lose.

What a shame.
  • RoobubbaRoobubba Who you gonna call? Join Date: 2003-01-06 Member: 11930Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    Absolutely agree with what statikg just said, and I would add that gathers can take a while to get going, but the more people who actually sign up to them, the shorter you'll have to wait (and the larger the playerbase of skilled players there will be, which has to be good for the longevity of this game). There's really no reason not to sign up to gathers at any time you're planning to be gaming for an hour or more. Nothing stops you joining a pub server to warm up while you wait for more players!

But joining rookie friendly servers with the sole purpose of stomping IS wrong. Proving that someone did that is basically impossible, though. What it relies on is common sense and common decency from everyone, which I hope is the prevailing attitude amongst NS2 players.
  • KalabalanaKalabalana Join Date: 2003-11-14 Member: 22859Members
    Slyfox101 wrote: »
    Anyone have an answer for this?

Also, I recently saw a YouTube video (All-In|ADHD's 'frag' video) that was basically 4 minutes of him (supposed 'pro' player) owning the worst aliens I have ever seen, presumably in a rookie server.

I notice players with the clan tags of 'All-In' and other various 'pro' clans playing together, stacking teams, on rookie servers. Just trying to make sense of it.

Also, are there any teams that are popular in the FPS e-sports world that actually play this game? So far, all of the teams I've heard of are brand new or specific to NS2.

Responses are appreciated. :)

EDIT: I realize I didn't post a solution for this, as that is not my job, but I suppose an easy fix would be to make it so only rookies could join rookie friendly servers. Not a 100% fix though, as you can turn rookie mode on and off at will.

I will personally make sure ADHD sees this thread if he hasn't already. This is hilarious.
  • CommunistWithAGunCommunistWithAGun Local Propaganda Guy Join Date: 2003-04-30 Member: 15953Members
    Kalabalana wrote: »
    Slyfox101 wrote: »
    Anyone have an answer for this?

Also, I recently saw a YouTube video (All-In|ADHD's 'frag' video) that was basically 4 minutes of him (supposed 'pro' player) owning the worst aliens I have ever seen, presumably in a rookie server.

I notice players with the clan tags of 'All-In' and other various 'pro' clans playing together, stacking teams, on rookie servers. Just trying to make sense of it.

Also, are there any teams that are popular in the FPS e-sports world that actually play this game? So far, all of the teams I've heard of are brand new or specific to NS2.

Responses are appreciated. :)

EDIT: I realize I didn't post a solution for this, as that is not my job, but I suppose an easy fix would be to make it so only rookies could join rookie friendly servers. Not a 100% fix though, as you can turn rookie mode on and off at will.

I will personally make sure ADHD sees this thread if he hasn't already. This is hilarious.

YEAHHHHHHH BOY
    LOL BRO THEY WHININ BOUT U FRAGGIN'EM BREH
    BREH THEY MAD, THEY SO MAD
    LOLBREHHHHHHHHH

...BREHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

...lets make out breh

Anyway, it boils down to a couple things:

Most competitive players do not pub anymore. IF they do, it's on a server with a strong community.
    Most competitive players that are worth anything are not:
    Jerks
    Trolls
    Cruel
    Pubstomps
    Stackers
    Most competitive players try to help
    Most competitive players only join rookie servers out of pure desperation
    There are a few teams/players who will not be named that have severe T.P.S and ego issues. They find no pleasure in anything because they hold themselves to such a standard that merely playing for fun is out of the question. The only thing they do is whine about the game and scrim. You'll see them around, and they post here, too. Ignore them.

I personally avoid them at all costs. What fun is there in skewing the game so badly the other team wants to quit the game entirely?
    What fun is there in dealing with a commander that says "lol we can just put turrets at skylights"

Tip:
    Play on one server with strong admins/nice people. Play there often. Make friends.
  • ShinoShino Join Date: 2012-11-26 Member: 173316Members
    edited February 2013
    If you knew ADHD at all, you'd know that he probably saw this thread within five minutes of its creation. On top of that, he probably has already laughed at it, called you a fuckbag irl, then took a bunch of adderall/took a few hits/drank a lot of alcohol/went back to pubstomping under a smurf name
  • CommunistWithAGunCommunistWithAGun Local Propaganda Guy Join Date: 2003-04-30 Member: 15953Members
    edited February 2013
    If you knew ADHD at all, you'd know that he probably saw this thread within five minutes of its creation. On top of that, he probably has already laughed at it, called you a fuckbag irl, then took a bunch of adderall/took a few hits/drank a lot of alcohol/went back to pubstomping under a smurf name

damn he sounds cool man

dont think my parents would let me hang with him tho xD they r squarez
    I just love the last 3 posts. That is all.
  • IndustryIndustry Esteemed Gentleman Join Date: 2010-07-13 Member: 72344Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter

damn he sounds cool man

dont think my parents would let me hang with him tho xD they r squarez

Bro do you even hype?
  • AfterhoursAfterhours Join Date: 2012-09-18 Member: 159869Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited February 2013
    I'm so tired of this question when the answer is simple, and you look at it everyday: Ping.

Do you want to play on a low ping server? Yes, you do. You want to play in a game with the lowest ping/most populated (with room of course). Guess what, so does everyone else, including veterans.

Why are Rookies so afraid of losing/getting their ass kicked? Does it "ruin your experience"? Grow a pair, life isnt fair, stop expecting to win when you're a ROOKIE. You'll learn better play by getting owned by more experienced players anyhow.
    Afterhours wrote: »
    I'm so tired of this question when the answer is simple, and you look at it everyday: Ping.

Do you want to play on a low ping server? Yes, you do. You want to play in a game with the lowest ping/most populated (with room of course). Guess what, so does everyone else, including veterans.

Why are Rookies so afraid of losing/getting their ass kicked? Does it "ruin your experience"? Grow a pair, life isnt fair, stop expecting to win when you're a ROOKIE. You'll learn better play by getting owned by more experienced players anyhow.

lol, life isn't fair. He was asking why competitive players play on pubs (Which I don't see a problem with at all) not asking why he can't have a puppy.

• DC_DarklingDC_Darkling Join Date: 2003-07-10 Member: 18068Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver
    completely ignoring all the posts except post 1....
    in random order:

* to teach new folk & assist them & answer questions.
    * to learn fade, as I suck horribly at one.
    * to not drag a whole team down when I have a 'day of suck', which at some weeks is often.
    * stable servers.
    * not to big servers.
    * usually, less ego centric playerbase.
    * sometimes be a tiny bit cruel, on a good day, and solo drag my team back from a nearloss.. Hey.. it shows a skillgap right... :p (Only doing this once every while, to keep it.. ya know.. fun)
    * newbies are not rusted in 'the best' patern and can surprise you.