Wasteland 2 early gameplay footage

SvenpaSvenpa Wait, what? Join Date: 2004-01-03 Member: 25012Members, Constellation
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=HvNbuOenVPw

Any other backers for this around OT? I'm pretty excited from what I've seen despite never playing the original. I heard W1 inspired Fallout and I see a lot of similarities between that and the early gameplay footage, which is always good. The only thing that bothered me is that it seems you're controlling customized portrait ranger #1 #2 #3 and #4, rather than a bunch of companions you've picked out with their own set of backstory and personalities. I also hope they change the keyword conversations to full text replies, otherwise I don't see how I'll be able to get into the roleplaying.

Thoughts?

Comments

• deathshrouddeathshroud Join Date: 2010-04-10 Member: 71291Members
    fallout was an unoffical sequel to wasteland, like arma is an unoffical sequel to operation flashpoint.
  • ParagonParagon Join Date: 2012-11-06 Member: 167573Members
    Looks interesting indeed. Although it seems to me that it's more similar to Fallout: Tactics than to Fallout 1 or 2. That's not to say it looks bad, just more combat oriented.
  • NeonSpyderNeonSpyder "Das est NTLDR?" Join Date: 2003-07-03 Member: 17913Members
    Looks very nice, they're doing a good job of keeping the old school charm with text-based conversation and item observation yet have the shiny new graphics and interface to give it some zip. Should be very interesting to see it done.
  • whoppaXXLwhoppaXXL Join Date: 2006-11-03 Member: 58298Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    If you like this you could enjoy Kenshi.

www.lofigames.com
  • SvenpaSvenpa Wait, what? Join Date: 2004-01-03 Member: 25012Members, Constellation
    NeonSpyder wrote: »
    Looks very nice, they're doing a good job of keeping the old school charm with text-based conversation and item observation yet have the shiny new graphics and interface to give it some zip. Should be very interesting to see it done.

I just noticed in the latest update that they offer full text responses if you hover over the keywords, this I like. I hate it when I can't exactly figure out what I'm about to say, happened a few times in Mass Effect.
  • NeonSpyderNeonSpyder "Das est NTLDR?" Join Date: 2003-07-03 Member: 17913Members
    Svenpa wrote: »

I just noticed in the latest update that they offer full text responses if you hover over the keywords, this I like. I hate it when I can't exactly figure out what I'm about to say, happened a few times in Mass Effect.

Well I still think the gold standard for text dialogue is Fallout 1/2, your character's entire statement is written out in advance so you know exactly what you are going to say and incidentally it gives the player the opportunity to laugh at all the things they COULD say but don't because they know better.
  • SvenpaSvenpa Wait, what? Join Date: 2004-01-03 Member: 25012Members, Constellation
    edited February 2013

Makes me wonder if they'll bother with a low int route.