Just had my first few public gathers on ENSL and...

RoobubbaRoobubba Who you gonna call? Join Date: 2003-01-06 Member: 11930Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
Fantastic!

I'd been kind of putting it off because, while I'm usually a pub hero, I know I won't stack up well at all against pug and/or comp players. But, I want to improve, and I knew it would be a good way to try to improve, and I had an absolute blast.

The first game, we had marines first, the team was solid, good vibe, good teamwork, and we managed to pull out a pretty solid win on Tram starting in Shipping (vs Server room starting hive). It was enlightening, and I was very happy to go 2:1 (but it's not about that, right!).
The second round of that game saw some stupendous skulking from trippy. GG.

The second game was on summit, this time playing on the chicago server with 120 ping (can't say I felt that was a problem). Again it was a pair of wins, but much closer games this time. The vibe wasn't *quite* so friendly, but still very good, and very VERY focused, which was useful for thinking more about teamplay, and especially things like micro and macro positioning. I did okay, again, perfectly respectable ratio >1, all good.

The third game - the tables were turned this time. We were up against some better players on average, I was probably bringing our team down a disproportionate amount this time. All that hard work and learning from the previous game had begun to take its toll, and after the end of the two rounds where we were constantly on the back foot, and my scores were terrible (like 5:16 or so I think), you know what? I don't mind. Not at all. It was fantastic to play against properly good lerks and skulks, and marines who not only shoot well, but also force the encounters their way. Okay, if I ever see Flip's pistol again... I could cry, really I could... But hey that's part of the learning, and I should have positioned myself better, connected more bites and known when to fight and when not to.

So let me say a huge THANK YOU to the people who run ENSL, host the servers, the teamspeak and website, who admin/referee the games and the people who play there.

It's the most fun I've had in NS2 yet, and I will DEFINITELY be continuing to play on gathers.

Cheers

Roo

ps website is here: http://www.ensl.org

Comments

• Omar - The WireOmar - The Wire Join Date: 2012-11-01 Member: 165320Members
    edited February 2013
    ENSL games are great. I wish they were more frequent.

The only issue is when you get one of the rare bad games. A bunch of players, fresh off the pub up, determined they're right and playing against some experienced comp players. Those are rough games.
  • FlipperFlipper Join Date: 2012-08-08 Member: 155120Members
    Just keep grinding, gather skill levels vary a lot from game to game so its really luck of the draw. Learn from the good people and ignore the dumb ones.

The more the merrier for gathers.
  • RoobubbaRoobubba Who you gonna call? Join Date: 2003-01-06 Member: 11930Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    ENSL games are great. I wish they were more frequent.

The only issue is when you get one of the rare bad games. A bunch of players, fresh off the pub up, determined they're right and playing against some experienced comp players. Those are rough games.

Actually I meant to add that in the short space of time that I have to game, I got more games in through the gather than I normally get on pubs. I probably got lucky that there were enough players to keep the gather rolling, but that was one of my concerns going in for the first time (along with getting totally outplayed and also just fear of the new!).

And the quality of the games was just incomparable to public play. :-)
  • luminalumina Join Date: 2012-06-15 Member: 153300Members
    I played ensl for the first time last night too. They were fun and there was a good variety of skill levels. I, and my team, got rolled the first game. My team won the second game and I did much better.

The only problem I see is that there aren't enouh NA players. Half of the players were from over seas and had 120-180 ping. This was between 6-7 in the afternoon central US time and had to be really late for them. Join gathers NA players!
  • current1yoldcurrent1yold Join Date: 2012-09-10 Member: 158911Members
    +1 to this thread. I'm in the same boat as you OP..just looking to get better. I've only done a few 6v6 games now and all have been a blast. I can already tell playing against better players is going to help a ton.
  • ColtColtColtColt Join Date: 2012-06-27 Member: 153707Members
    This thread makes me happy.

Gathers are a good time, typically, although somewhat rife with players using false names/double accounts. That's not a big deal, unless it's done to intentionally troll the gather and end up with a lopsided stack (Which is frequently the case).
  • SewlekSewlek The programmer previously known as Schimmel Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16247Members, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, Subnautica Developer
    i wish i more time myself, i just remember ns1 gathers and i start missing it
  • meatmachinemeatmachine South England Join Date: 2013-01-06 Member: 177858Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
  • GamerkatzeGamerkatze Join Date: 2012-06-27 Member: 153711Members
    ColtColt wrote: »
    This thread makes me happy.

Gathers are a good time, typically, although somewhat rife with players using false names/double accounts. That's not a big deal, unless it's done to intentionally troll the gather and end up with a lopsided stack (Which is frequently the case).

having a second account is not tolerated by ensl and will result in a lifetime ban of the second account and a tempban of the original account.
  • GISPGISP Battle Gorge Denmark Join Date: 2004-03-20 Member: 27460Members, Playtest Lead, Forum Moderators, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Onos, WC 2013 - Gold, Subnautica Playtester, Forum staff
    edited February 2013
    Gathers is allways great fun, everyone should try it :)
    And its a great first step to find a permanent team aswell.