For the love of god Controller and earpiece support please.

BLAST_IMMINENTBLAST_IMMINENT Join Date: 2013-02-19 Member: 183199Members
This sounds crazy to most pc gamers but, i am old, so keyboards are foreign to me. i'm staring at the keyboard right now trying to poke out this post. i played consoles my entire childhood and throughout my adult life aswell. I know us controller users are slow and clumsy. But its more comfortable for us, which make the game more enjoyable.

Also some of us use ear pieces i know most PC gamers dont, but i like to have the voices in my ear and the action on my speakers. that helps compartmentalize the orders and the action. that makes it easier, imo, to follow orders.

im new to this game so if theres a mod out there for this stuff i would love to hear about it. or maybe we can get enough support on this thread to get a change made!

Thanks for a great game!

Comments

• Racer1Racer1 Join Date: 2002-11-22 Member: 9615Members
    You use both headphones and speakers at the same time?

A typical PC setup will mute the speakers if headphones are plugged in. That is part of how the hardware works, so I don't think the game can do anything about it.
  • BLAST_IMMINENTBLAST_IMMINENT Join Date: 2013-02-19 Member: 183199Members
    edited February 2013
    yes on planetside i use a headset and the speakers at the same time. the headset plugs int the front, the speakers in the back, of the pc.
    Mainly i'd like to use my controller, my hands hurt after about an hour of PC gaming. probably has a lot to do with my setup but still id be a lot more comfortable with a controller.
  • FuleFule Join Date: 2009-06-04 Member: 67683Members
    Well.... let's say you are able to play NS2 with a controller - how much kills will you get? None.
    On playstation, xbox etc. a controller is fine for fps games, but not for pc, especially online.
  • meatmachinemeatmachine South England Join Date: 2013-01-06 Member: 177858Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    Yeah dude, controllers aren't just clumsy, they're downright impossible to play on a game that requires lightning-fast reflexes and seemless interfacing between user and avatar. Just thinking about trying to fly around as lerk makes my stomach churn.
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited February 2013
    About the controller support, I'd love to see UWE add it to the engine. However for NS2 purposes, it is simply not a thing that will work very well. NS2 is a tracking aiming and twitch shooter without aim assist. You are also facing off against fast moving aliens as well as navigating and engaging combat as said fast moving aliens.

Controller FPS gaming is only possible in games that are suited for it, slow paced, slow moving targets, one shot or close to one shot kills and of course aim assist added to the game. Let's rephrase that, it is possible but highly unlikely an enjoyable experience in a game like this for the reasons mentioned above and before my post... Way back I used to use a program called Joy2Key, to add mouse movement from the POV hat on my joystick in Forgotten Hope aircraft,to be able to look around. Maybe that is an option for this? I'd still advice against it though, Keyboard+Mouse simply are better...

Not sure if the earpiece independent voice chat is possible on platforms besides Vista or Win7 (individual channels)
  • SoundFXSoundFX Join Date: 2003-08-21 Member: 20048Members
    edited February 2013
    http://www.xpadder.com/

Bind your mouse movements and/or keyboard controls to the Gamepad.

Yeah dude, controllers aren't just clumsy, they're downright impossible to play on a game that requires lightning-fast reflexes and seemless interfacing between user and avatar. Just thinking about trying to fly around as lerk makes my stomach churn.

Maybe he doesn't care if he's putting himself at a disadvantage.

For me its not about the number of kills, its about a fun and challenging gaming experience. if i just wanted to rack up mindless hours of shooting faces i'd be playing 360. I know that im not going to be as fast as a keyboarder but i'm not as fast now because i have to look down all the time. and i have big fat clumsy fingers from working manual labor so its tough for me to get around a keyboard. so really, its probably about equal disadvantage either way, so i may as well be comfortable while i'm playing. My point is this most other FPS pc games at least have controller support for those of us who choose to use a controller.
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    Well the programs we've suggested could help you out, my guess is official support for game controllers isn't a high priority right now. But at least there are third party options...
  • CurveCurve Join Date: 2003-12-17 Member: 24475Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Also some of us use ear pieces i know most PC gamers dont, but i like to have the voices in my ear and the action on my speakers. that helps compartmentalize the orders and the action. that makes it easier, imo, to follow orders.

A million times this!

• frallan123frallan123 Join Date: 2012-05-12 Member: 151962Members
    ive tried xpadder + NS2 it works really good but its so hard I dont even bother trying anymore :p
    Yeah, i get it. I saw a forum that said Suggestions and i posted.
  • BensonBenson Join Date: 2012-03-07 Member: 148303Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    edited February 2013
    I use joy2key to use my joystick with MechWarrior Online, im not sure if it will work for other types on controllers, but seeing as how its most likely simple button+axis input, it should!

I like it because it lets you tweak mouse sensitivity for the axises (?) which can help minimize the effects of less control than a mouse

Hope it helps!
  • randomroperandomrope Join Date: 2013-01-16 Member: 180026Members
    Thanks for a great game!

That also means that every time you talk no one can hear you because you mic is picking up guns shooting, skulks chomping, and mini guns blazing, etc, etc, etc.
  • SeeVeeSeeVee Join Date: 2012-10-31 Member: 165206Members
    edited February 2013
    i played consoles my entire childhood and throughout my adult life aswell. I know us controller users are slow and clumsy. But its more comfortable for us, which make the game more enjoyable.

im new to this game so if theres a mod out there for this stuff i would love to hear about it. or maybe we can get enough support on this thread to get a change made!

Thanks for a great game!

Great USB headphones... I have the sonar 5.1 which I love and my friend has the champion set. I like them because they have multiple speakers in each ear unlike a lot of headsets out there that only have one speaker in each ear with a fake surround system.

No need to compartmentalize your sounds with these puppies. My friend was like you before with his sound but since he bought the headset I recommended he has not turned back.

http://www.cybersnipa.com/us/gaming-audio/sonar5.1-headset.php

http://www.cybersnipa.com/us/gaming-audio/sonar5.1-championship-headset.php

BTW, if you grew up on consoles, what are you speaking of Atari 2600 old or prior?

• CiroCiro Join Date: 2013-01-09 Member: 178392Members
    Controller support with no aim assist.

The audio settings sounds cool. If you play with a group using a thirdparty VoIP app, you could probably get a similar experience.
    randomrope wrote: »
    Thanks for a great game!

That also means that every time you talk no one can hear you because you mic is picking up guns shooting, skulks chomping, and mini guns blazing, etc, etc, etc.

That's actually kinda cool.
  • zeqzeq Join Date: 2012-02-14 Member: 145493Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Controller support is unlikely to happen anytime soon as UWE consists of around eight people and they have higher priorities. As other people suggested, you best bet is probably finding a third party program.
  • schkorpioschkorpio I can mspaint Join Date: 2003-05-23 Member: 16635Members
    xpadder is great - my hands tend to ache as well, so I use xpadder in any game that doesnt have native controller support and it usually works really well. From memory it was only like $9 or something like that.
    SeeVee wrote: »
    i played consoles my entire childhood and throughout my adult life aswell. I know us controller users are slow and clumsy. But its more comfortable for us, which make the game more enjoyable.

Thanks for a great game!

Great USB headphones... I have the sonar 5.1 which I love and my friend has the champion set. I like them because they have multiple speakers in each ear unlike a lot of headsets out there that only have one speaker in each ear with a fake surround system.

No need to compartmentalize your sounds with these puppies. My friend was like you before with his sound but since he bought the headset I recommended he has not turned back.

http://www.cybersnipa.com/us/gaming-audio/sonar5.1-headset.php

http://www.cybersnipa.com/us/gaming-audio/sonar5.1-championship-headset.php

BTW, if you grew up on consoles, what are you speaking of Atari 2600 old or prior?

Thanks! im trying to getout of this cheap. i'm lucky, my roomate is a super pc gamer freak and he built this awesome computer pretty much for me to play with, he has his own also very sick pc.

Yeah my first console experience was a gamepad that consisted of a dial and a button! of course that was my rich friends Atari. i got my first NES around age 9 or 10. My uncle sold me his. i worked my butt of doing chores for that. hours and hours spent with a 4-way d-pad and two face buttons. been a console gamer ever since. didnt have much groing up so i would always go to my friends houses and play Sega or SNES. Now im grown and i love gaming still. im amazed when i think back to playing Tanks or joust, I did play a little Ultima on my grandparents Apple computer. typeing in commands... memories
    randomrope wrote: »
    Thanks for a great game!

i keep my speakers low and listen to music in the backround. i've never had any complaints.
  • CrazyEddieCrazyEddie Join Date: 2013-01-08 Member: 178196Members
    This sounds crazy to most pc gamers but, i am old, so keyboards are foreign to me. i played consoles my entire childhood and throughout my adult life aswell.

I was going to say:
    You're not old unless your console controller looks like this:

atari-2600-controller.jpg

... but SeeVee beat me to it. :)

p.s. I am old.
  • ijustpwnedu96ijustpwnedu96 Join Date: 2013-01-27 Member: 182320Members
    edited February 2013
    I used controller since day one of NS2. I use xpadder and there are no problems killing marines or aliens. I get plenty of kills without problems. I got 50 - 5 once in a game as mainly fade and onos. I do admit that aiming is trickier when I am a marine with the LMG. Skulks are fast and Im not used to looking up and down with the right stick of my controller so you can easily lose track of them or simply miss all your bullets. I use controller for all my PC games, it just takes practice and getting used to.