Trick for identifying aimhacking marines

2»

Comments

• SampsonSampson Join Date: 2012-01-06 Member: 139769Members
  • d0ped0gd0ped0g Join Date: 2003-05-25 Member: 16679Members
    edited February 2013
    Shino wrote: »
    Without carapace, a LMG marine can do 10*50 + 25*10 (light) damage.

500 normal damage + 250 light damage.

Skulk has 70 / 10 HP

That means that a LMG should be able to kill 5 skulks (500 - 5*90= 50), get the sixth to half HP (40/0 left), kill him with two shots of a pistol (8 shots left), kill another one in six shots(70 + 40 = 130), and have 2 shots left with a pistol.

So assuming 100% accuracy, a hacker should be able to kill seven skulks with one clip from the LMG / one clip from the pistol.

Doesn't it take 1 more shot most of the time because of passive regen ticks?

Also, there is a delay in between when you actually kill a skulk and when you see them dead on the screen, which eats up even more bullets.

But you're right in illustrating that marines have a lot of firepower in a single clip of LMG and pistol and are thus capable of killing a lot of skulks before they even need to reload.
  • GenericOverusedNameGenericOverusedName Join Date: 2013-02-12 Member: 183022Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    I once had a round where one guy managed to kill half our skulkin team in one clip. Does that count?
  • RoobubbaRoobubba Who you gonna call? Join Date: 2003-01-06 Member: 11930Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    I assume you've done the proper positive and negative controls here:

Have you got a friend to install an aimbot, and have another without one, and test whether this is absolutely true?

I've yet to see an aimbotter. I've also yet to see anyone who I've suspected of using wallhacks (though I've seen a video on youtube with transparent walls, so I'm guessing that does exist). I've played against some great players who I firmly believe are just that: great players. J.E.J.Onos makes a totally valid set of points: there's no way you're getting close to a hacker as a skulk in this game. 13 bullets (if you have carapace and they have weapons 0) is all it takes, and it will be PAINFULLY obvious if someone is able to kill skulks all the time with fewer than 15 bullets per skulk. I've seen some great players, but I've never seen anyone close to doing that consistently.

If there's one thing that's almost as damaging as hackers, it's people who think and/or say that others are hacking when they're not.
  • _Necro__Necro_ Join Date: 2011-02-15 Member: 81895Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited February 2013
    Gliss wrote: »
    Res wrote: »
    I have encountered instances where certain people seem to have an uncanny ability to know exactly where someone is despite all precautions being taken. (IE. In full cloak, not being seen when moving into a hiding spot, walking so there's no sounds, not in range of a Obs and no scan being done.)
    there is currently a bug related to Skulk movement where sounds are not broadcasted client side but they are heard by every other player on the server. basically any time you change surfaces as a Skulk even if you are walking and it doesn't make any noise, it will make a brief noise that is audible to everyone else.

this obviously contributes a lot to the issue that you are describing

1.) It is not when you change the surface. It is only when you land on a surface after being free in the air. After jumping for example, but also when you just walk away from a wall you were holding onto and are shortly without contact to any surface. I think this sound is intentional.

2.) There seem to be some really strange sound problems. Because I can hear this sound in 1st person when I'm playing skulk and its very loud. I've a 5.1 sound system and also had the incident, that I couldn't hear the celerity wooosh. Others claimed it was deafening.

@ the topic:
    While I think cheats exists, luckily I have only thought 2 or 3 times in my 500+ hours of NS2 to see a cheater. And even than I hadn't any evidence. On the mathematics of the amount of possible skulk killing: You forget to factor in the lag. Aim bot or not. You don't stop shooting this skulk after 15 bullets when you only see him die after 25 bullets, because of interpolation. Sure, you could watch your ammo counter, because you don't need to aim. But why would you do that? It would only make your cheating more obvious. So 7 skulks is very unlikely even with cheats.
  • Not SureNot Sure Join Date: 2013-01-06 Member: 177758Members
    Locklear wrote: »
    Flipper wrote: »
    So you go under him while looking up and then don't expect the player to do a 180, but if he does said 180 he hacks...

Do you run at them on the floor striaght on in plain sight too as a test?

Might want to re-read his post... he says, "you'll see his body spin out of control so fast he'll blur". In fact, your post is so asinine that it could lead someone to assume you hack and trying to discredit this person with such a post.

On topic, I've never encountered the situation in which the OP describes, however, I have encountered instances where certain people seem to have an uncanny ability to know exactly where someone is despite all precautions being taken. (IE. In full cloak, not being seen when moving into a hiding spot, walking so there's no sounds, not in range of a Obs and no scan being done.)

3D sound allows you to hear where the camo is activated from. There's also this thing called gamesense that allows good players to have an idea of where their opponent is.

Yeahhh, that's not a thing.
  • Katana-Katana- Join Date: 2008-11-25 Member: 65575Members
    Not Sure wrote: »
    So you go under him while looking up and then don't expect the player to do a 180, but if he does said 180 he hacks...

Might want to re-read his post... he says, "you'll see his body spin out of control so fast he'll blur". In fact, your post is so asinine that it could lead someone to assume you hack and trying to discredit this person with such a post.

On topic, I've never encountered the situation in which the OP describes, however, I have encountered instances where certain people seem to have an uncanny ability to know exactly where someone is despite all precautions being taken. (IE. In full cloak, not being seen when moving into a hiding spot, walking so there's no sounds, not in range of a Obs and no scan being done.)

3D sound allows you to hear where the camo is activated from. There's also this thing called gamesense that allows good players to have an idea of where their opponent is.

Are you implying that gamesense isn't a thing?

Do you have such a low level of respect for NS2, that you think there is no skill difference between players?

Is it inconceivable, that a player might be good enough to predict the movements, and thoughts of another player?

If you answered yes to any of these questions you are wasting your time here.
    Frankly, if you think any of these things are true you've probably never applied yourself seriously to any game.

thanks for playing.
  • LocklearLocklear [nexzil]kerrigan Join Date: 2012-05-01 Member: 151403Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, WC 2013 - Shadow
    edited February 2013

You kinda sorta maybe have no brain if you think that's not a thing.

http://wiki.teamliquid.net/starcraft/Game_sense
  • CiroCiro Join Date: 2013-01-09 Member: 178392Members

It sorta is. I don't like the term gamesense though. It's just acting on good predictions.
  • OnosFactoryOnosFactory New Zealand Join Date: 2008-07-16 Member: 64637Members
    As Xao said last night on ON3: "these fluro skins are too good"

I'd doubt anyone can be fooked scripting an injector for NS2, it's just too much work compared to the 'rewards' from CS:S or TF2 ... but I bet there are a few more Xao's out there.
  • XaoXao Join Date: 2012-12-12 Member: 174840Members
    As Xao said last night on ON3: "these fluro skins are too good"

I'd doubt anyone can be fooked scripting an injector for NS2, it's just too much work compared to the 'rewards' from CS:S or TF2 ... but I bet there are a few more Xao's out there.

Yes well it's a good thing we don't rely on OnosFactory for anything because an injected wall hack was released mid November that as of last week was still working undetected.

It's still the fourth result for "NS2 hacks" in google, probably has over 6k views by now, not bad for a game that struggles 2k concurrent players on any given day.

If you wanted fluro models fire up "Down with this" into the steam workshop and go pro.
  • MavickMavick Join Date: 2012-11-07 Member: 168138Members
    Actually caught the one aimbotter that I've banned from my server using the method from the OP. Obviously it's situational, but if they get rushed by enough aliens and you can catch them on the reload it's possible.

Personally, I don't like that it was the only way I could settle it in my mind, but then I've also not had too many flags triggered in my mind on my server either. The worst I'll see is someone kill 5 or 6 skulks with 5 or 6 perfectly placed shotgun hits while jetpacking around madly. But then a few minutes later I'll see him get 1v1'd by a skulk, or I'll hop in spectator and even from top-down view you can see if they're missing shots, and everybody invariably will enough to dissuade me that they're cheating.
  • sotanahtsotanaht Join Date: 2013-01-12 Member: 179215Members
    edited February 2013
    Roobubba wrote: »
    I assume you've done the proper positive and negative controls here:

Have you got a friend to install an aimbot, and have another without one, and test whether this is absolutely true?

I've yet to see an aimbotter. I've also yet to see anyone who I've suspected of using wallhacks (though I've seen a video on youtube with transparent walls, so I'm guessing that does exist). I've played against some great players who I firmly believe are just that: great players. J.E.J.Onos makes a totally valid set of points: there's no way you're getting close to a hacker as a skulk in this game. 13 bullets (if you have carapace and they have weapons 0) is all it takes, and it will be PAINFULLY obvious if someone is able to kill skulks all the time with fewer than 15 bullets per skulk. I've seen some great players, but I've never seen anyone close to doing that consistently.

If there's one thing that's almost as damaging as hackers, it's people who think and/or say that others are hacking when they're not.

Don't forget the hitreg isn't perfect either, even if your aim artificially is. Also controlling exactly how many bullets the LMG fires is extremely tricky, try firing single shots and see how many you can actually get off in a row before you shoot two or more... I haven't been able to do more than 5 myself, and that's in a no-pressure situation with nothing else going on.

Frankly I'd expect someone aimbotting to be pretty outright terrible otherwise. He should be easy to ambush and kill, terrible at dodging bites, slow to react, and spray way more bullets than necessary per kill. When it comes down to it, someone on the competitive level should actually be able to outperform most hackers.