Trick for identifying aimhacking marines

JakkarJakkar Join Date: 2006-12-02 Member: 58826Members
Caught a few of the buggers with this one in the last few weeks - if you get up close, the bastard is likely to bunnyhop all over the place as per usual, but as you run beneath his feet during a hop you'll see his body spin out of control so fast he'll blur as his lockon attempts to maintain contact with the centre of your model while you pass through his z axis. Particularly telling when the player in question is reloading or using a slow weapon such as a shotgun, as they rotation will occur in total silence unless he binds his lockon to his fire key.

You'll be dead before you reach the other side of his body but you should see the ridiculously fast turnstyle effect as his model spins like the Tazmanian Devil before you die.

It can at least give you a reasonable confirmation of your suspicions. Most admins are diehard sceptics and will demand proof the player community simply cannot provide - all footage is viewed subjectively - but you and your friends can at least know for sure, and leave for a better server.

Good luck finding decent games - and don't give up, don't let them win =)

Comments

• nezznezz Join Date: 2012-12-11 Member: 174712Members
    cool tups bro can u teach me to playz now
  • JuCCiJuCCi Join Date: 2011-08-08 Member: 114961Members, NS2 Map Tester
  • FlipperFlipper Join Date: 2012-08-08 Member: 155120Members
    So you go under him while looking up and then don't expect the player to do a 180, but if he does said 180 he hacks...

Do you run at them on the floor striaght on in plain sight too as a test?
  • SeahuntsSeahunts Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151973Members
    Was there not already an aimbot etc thread?

oh wait here it was
    http://forums.unknownworlds.com/discussion/127834/aim-botters/p5 Locked for some reason. Sweeping problems under rug I presume.

I don't think I have encountered anyone with aimbot anyway. Just 6th sense style awareness in pitch dark / fully cloaked scenarios.
  • SquishpokePOOPFACESquishpokePOOPFACE -21,248 posts (ignore below) Join Date: 2012-10-31 Member: 165262Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited February 2013
    The previous thread was locked because the entire discussion became pointless and ridiculous.

First person spectate is coming soon, /discussion
  • ResRes Join Date: 2003-08-27 Member: 20245Members
    Flipper wrote: »
    So you go under him while looking up and then don't expect the player to do a 180, but if he does said 180 he hacks...

Might want to re-read his post... he says, "you'll see his body spin out of control so fast he'll blur". In fact, your post is so asinine that it could lead someone to assume you hack and trying to discredit this person with such a post.

On topic, I've never encountered the situation in which the OP describes, however, I have encountered instances where certain people seem to have an uncanny ability to know exactly where someone is despite all precautions being taken. (IE. In full cloak, not being seen when moving into a hiding spot, walking so there's no sounds, not in range of a Obs and no scan being done.)
    Res wrote: »

Might want to re-read his post... he says, "you'll see his body spin out of control so fast he'll blur". In fact, your post is so asinine that it could lead someone to assume you hack and trying to discredit this person with such a post.

On topic, I've never encountered the situation in which the OP describes, however, I have encountered instances where certain people seem to have an uncanny ability to know exactly where someone is despite all precautions being taken. (IE. In full cloak, not being seen when moving into a hiding spot, walking so there's no sounds, not in range of a Obs and no scan being done.)

Lol oh how you miss the point completely.

*waves hand over head*
  • derWalterderWalter Join Date: 2008-10-29 Member: 65323Members
    what happened to the nice community we were???
    derWalter wrote: »

The forum warriors began accusing anyone better than them of being a hacker.
  • LocklearLocklear [nexzil]kerrigan Join Date: 2012-05-01 Member: 151403Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, WC 2013 - Shadow
    edited February 2013
    The model does funky animations sometimes when a player isn't AFK and turns to fight you.

You're just adding another thread to the pile of dumb hacker accusation threads.

They aren't hackers my friend.
  • Rich_Rich_ Join Date: 2012-11-05 Member: 167152Members
    I've seen a couple hackers but as far as online multiplayers go, NS2 is REAL good on low hacker count, but there is quite a few genuinely good players that if you didn't know any better, u'd think they were doin zeh haxors.. Just remember, this game is very close aiming mechanics to the original NS, which was out in 1999, and some of those players are still playing NS2 today. Over a decade of practice..
  • LocklearLocklear [nexzil]kerrigan Join Date: 2012-05-01 Member: 151403Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, WC 2013 - Shadow

3D sound allows you to hear where the camo is activated from. There's also this thing called gamesense that allows good players to have an idea of where their opponent is.
  • JAMESEARLJONOSJAMESEARLJONOS Join Date: 2012-12-15 Member: 175155Members
    Spoiler Alert: If you can get around the person's feet and live for any length of time, they're obviously not using an aimbot.
    Adding on to the above obvious:

I don't think people realize just how ridiculous an aimbot would be in this game. Even the very best of players miss a massive percentage of bullets on every clip. It's ridiculously common for an average bad player to call aimbot after seeing one marine kill three skulks (2 LMG, 1 pistol) - despite the fact that someone actually using an aimbot would be killing 5 skulks consistently every LMG clip in the early game. It would be be completely ridiculous and easily distinguishable from someone who was simply a top level player.

And before someone says something like, "But they're purposely not doing well!". I'd just note that aimbots infesting games usually goes in stages. With the first stage being people using ultra blatant crap. You'd be seeing blatant 125-0 marines long before you saw carefully disguised marines that were indistinguishable from legitimate top level players.
  • WillzZzWillzZz Join Date: 2013-01-31 Member: 182667Members
    My favorite is when someone dies in one shotgun blast and instantly makes an accusation. FPS gamers are just too much.
  • MrPinkMrPink Join Date: 2002-05-28 Member: 678Members
    still haven't seen an aimbotter in a lot of hours
  • GISPGISP Battle Gorge Denmark Join Date: 2004-03-20 Member: 27460Members, Playtest Lead, Forum Moderators, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Onos, WC 2013 - Gold, Subnautica Playtester, Forum staff
    If you do find hacks or cheats, PM a mod or dev whit the details. So we can get the holes closed.
  • pearlykpearlyk Join Date: 2013-01-19 Member: 180732Members
    I've been playing this game for about 220 hrs so far, haven't found any hackers yet, but have met plenty of people accusing each other because they were getting dominated.

I won't deny that there might be people cheating in this game though, but there's no way you can prove that, and as the saying goes, innocent until proven guilty.
    On a side note, first person spectate will (hopefully) drastically reduce the amount of people complaining about aimbotting. Provided that people are smart enough to see the difference between high level tracking and an aimbot anyways (comments on edak's stream seemingly say otherwise....)

However, I expect unwarranted kicks/bans to actually increase once it's out. False accusations of people using skulk textures are going to skyrocket. Because I don't expect average server admin X who's playing on default gamma with a monitor from 2004 to understand that someone playing on a BenQ monitor with gamma cranked up is going to see skulks far, far easier than he does. The difference in visibility that's generated by higher quality monitors (legal) and high system gamma (legal) is very drastic.
  • CiroCiro Join Date: 2013-01-09 Member: 178392Members
    edited February 2013

I don't think people realize just how ridiculous an aimbot would be in this game. Even the very best of players miss a massive percentage of bullets on every clip. It's ridiculously common for an average bad player to call aimbot after seeing one marine kill three skulks (2 LMG, 1 pistol) - despite the fact that someone actually using an aimbot would be killing 5 skulks consistently every LMG clip in the early game. It would be be completely ridiculous and easily distinguishable from someone who was simply a top level player.

And before someone says something like, "But they're purposely not doing well!". I'd just note that aimbots infesting games usually goes in stages. With the first stage being people using ultra blatant crap. You'd be seeing blatant 125-0 marines long before you saw carefully disguised marines that were indistinguishable from legitimate top level players.

I agree with this, except the second paragraph. It's possible to purposely not do well early on. In NS1, auto-targets, wall-hack, minimap hack apps weren't used widely, but very much available and kept up to date. It's very easy to hide these types of things; don't directly aim at targets through walls, allow skulks to get near biting distance, keep K:D near average. I'd go on, but I don't want to help any potential cheaters.

In other games, I've experienced cheaters getting into clans and fooling entire communities for long periods of time (months to years). They play the other aspects of the game well enough that others don't notice their cheats.
    Ciro wrote: »

I agree with this, except the second paragraph. It's possible to purposely not do well early on. In NS1, auto-targets, wall-hack, minimap hack apps weren't used widely, but very much available and kept up to date. It's very easy to hide these types of things; don't directly aim at targets through walls, allow skulks to get near biting distance, keep K:D near average. I'd go on, but I don't want to help any potential cheaters.

In other games, I've experienced cheaters getting into clans and fooling entire communities for long periods of time (months to years). They play the other aspects of the game well enough that others don't notice their cheats.

Right, but the point was that in NS1, people still saw others blatantly cheating from time to time. Meaning that such hacks were available, and therefore the possibility of someone playing down to a more acceptable level was more likely.

The situation in NS2 right now is completely different than the one just described. In probably 200+ hours of NS2 play since release, I have yet to see a single person fit into the category of being an aimbot (or even close really.) Which means that the people who are getting accused of aimbots on a regular basis are simply people with really good (but not impossible) aim. And I find it difficult to believe that anyone in that category is using an aimbot but disguising it, because if such a thing was widespread you would be seeing blatant hackers as well.

When a cheat as devastating as an aimbot actually becomes a thing, everyone will know. Because you'll actually run into people in where there's zero ambiguity on whether or not they're cheating. Which (unfortunately) will start to put everyone else with really good aim under more scrutiny because the prospect of people playing down becomes far more likely.

• Sharp-ShooterSharp-Shooter Join Date: 2011-05-11 Member: 98364Members
    i got accused 2 days ago cause I was using a shotgun and "headshotting" everything

lol
  • nezznezz Join Date: 2012-12-11 Member: 174712Members
    derWalter wrote: »

the bads joined to make bad posts about bad subjects.
  • |strofix||strofix| Join Date: 2012-11-01 Member: 165453Members
    How does one flag awesome's as trolls?
    Flagception
  • GlissGliss Join Date: 2003-03-23 Member: 14800Members, Constellation, NS2 Map Tester
    edited February 2013
    I have encountered instances where certain people seem to have an uncanny ability to know exactly where someone is despite all precautions being taken. (IE. In full cloak, not being seen when moving into a hiding spot, walking so there's no sounds, not in range of a Obs and no scan being done.)
    there is currently a bug related to Skulk movement where sounds are not broadcasted client side but they are heard by every other player on the server. basically any time you change surfaces as a Skulk even if you are walking and it doesn't make any noise, it will make a brief noise that is audible to everyone else.

this obviously contributes a lot to the issue that you are describing
  • Apreche2Apreche2 Join Date: 2012-08-06 Member: 154849Members
    The way I see it the professional players and the cheating players have pretty much equal aim. So if someone has incredible aim, I don't care. I figure it's 50/50 they are either pro or cheating, and it doesn't matter which one. The ultimate, (probably unattainable) goal is to be that good myself, without cheating. I need that measuring stick to measure myself against.
  • JakkarJakkar Join Date: 2006-12-02 Member: 58826Members
    I second the comment that asked what happened to the nice community we had here. Every thread is inundated with such miserable trolling.

The worst effect of this will be alienating the developers from their own community by making it an unwelcome obligation to come here.
    I like the person who disagreed with the above post despite everything in it being 100% accurate. If you're going to disagree with something that's factual, at least post so everyone can hear the lack of logic rattling around in your head.