Rifle Butt

ZekZek Join Date: 2002-11-10 Member: 7962Members, NS1 Playtester, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
I'm curious, does anybody actually use this? I feel like this is a forgotten element of marine play which is a bit of a shame. In my opinion marines right now are in need of something to raise their skill floor a bit. Aiming at a skulk in melee range is probably the hardest part of playing marines for most people. I think a more potent rifle butt would be very helpful in keeping these players competitive. For example, give it a generous hitbox with modest damage so it's still better to shoot the skulk if you can, but if that's too hard then the rifle butt is your next best bet.

While we're on the subject, the axe is so difficult to use against skulks that it feels broken. I find that its hitbox barely reaches all the way down to the floor, so I actually have to crouch in order to hit skulks. It would be nice if the hitbox were "taller" to aid in hitting skulks(and cysts) while standing. I'm not sure if the rifle butt hitbox has the same problem, but it would explain a lot.

Comments

• FuleFule Join Date: 2009-06-04 Member: 67683Members
    Yes, when I know that the skulk is almost dead and I need to reload, I just break his jaw. I always feel badass after doing that.
  • AngeluszAngelusz Harmonic entropist Join Date: 2003-07-10 Member: 18072Members, Forum Moderators, Constellation, NS2 Playtester
    Hehe. You said butt.

Now, realistically (I know how iffy it is to use this word in a sci-fi game, bare with me), one would not be able to reach his/her toes with a small (switch)axe whilst standing upright. This is even more so for a rifle butt. Why do you feel they should have more range? After all, the aliens are the melee team and the marines are the gun team. As far as I've understood the design decisions up to now, it's intentionally not very strong. Just enough to kill that almost-dead skulk/fade you couldn't finish with the last of your bullets, but that's about it.
  • MMZ_TorakMMZ_Torak Join Date: 2002-11-02 Member: 3770Members
    Angelusz wrote: »
    Hehe. You said butt.

Now, realistically (I know how iffy it is to use this word in a sci-fi game, bare with me), one would not be able to reach his/her toes with a small (switch)axe whilst standing upright. This is even more so for a rifle butt. Why do you feel they should have more range?

Well, at the risk of sounding pedantic...

A skulks "head" is nowhere near your toes, it is more like at your knee level. It should be easier to whack a skulk on the head with an axe/rifle butt. (I touched the butt!)
  • RoobubbaRoobubba Who you gonna call? Join Date: 2003-01-06 Member: 11930Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    I agree - although I will add that while I can't seem to hit any moving target with the axe, I do see plenty of axe kills so I assume that I just suck with it!

A smidge more range would be nice, although I do have to remember to actually use that butt (teehee now I did it...!)
  • CommunistWithAGunCommunistWithAGun Local Propaganda Guy Join Date: 2003-04-30 Member: 15953Members
    It used to knock-back and stun.
  • RoobubbaRoobubba Who you gonna call? Join Date: 2003-01-06 Member: 11930Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    I wasn't in the beta but I was lurking in the forums for a while during that time. I remember all manner of wailing and gnashing of teeth about the knockback! I can understand that - you finally get in range as a skulk and boom you're pushed back to medium distance and are cannon fodder again...
    I trust UWE made the right call by removing that feature and would be very happy if it didn't return! :)
  • current1yoldcurrent1yold Join Date: 2012-09-10 Member: 158911Members
    edited February 2013
    Zek wrote: »
    I'm curious, does anybody actually use this? I feel like this is a forgotten element of marine play which is a bit of a shame. In my opinion marines right now are in need of something to raise their skill floor a bit. Aiming at a skulk in melee range is probably the hardest part of playing marines for most people.

Yes, I use it a lot. If you think of it as a weapon of opportunity you'll be better off. Its a weapon that once you develop a natural reaction to using its quite useful. Getting a few bullets in, butt smack and a few more bullets is a potent combo when you fail to dodge properly for whatever reason. It's also quicker then pulling out your pistol to get in 20 damage. Though, I personally never go out and try to "aim" with it. I use it if the situation calls for it and the skulk is in my crosshairs.

I just wish i had it on the shotgun. IMHO nothing is wrong with it as is.

• Chris0132Chris0132 Join Date: 2009-07-25 Member: 68262Members
    It used to be amazing in earlier versions, current one does pretty dreadful damage, I can rarely actually kill anything with it.

Though I suppose being able to rifle-kata skulks into oblivion in earlier versions was a bit overpowered.
  • KopikatKopikat Join Date: 2012-09-06 Member: 158170Members
    edited February 2013
    Hehe. You said butt.

Now, realistically (I know how iffy it is to use this word in a sci-fi game, bare with me), one would not be able to reach his/her toes with a small (switch)axe whilst standing upright. This is even more so for a rifle butt. Why do you feel they should have more range? After all, the aliens are the melee team and the marines are the gun team. As far as I've understood the design decisions up to now, it's intentionally not very strong. Just enough to kill that almost-dead skulk/fade you couldn't finish with the last of your bullets, but that's about it.

Aliens have ranged abilities that do damage perfectly fine. If something is so useless that it's almost (or totally) never worth using, then it may as well not be in the game. As it is in the game and time/effort was used to create it, then it should be useful.

Same deal with Exos and Sentries. If something is meant to be terrible, then it shouldn't even be in the game.
  • DC_DarklingDC_Darkling Join Date: 2003-07-10 Member: 18068Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver
    just yesterday.
    killed skulk one, narrowly got missed by nr 2 as I bursted some extra bullets in and got that one.
    Then when the 3rd was done on my less fortunate teammate, I emptied my rifle in it and riffle butted the last few hp off it.

best skulk vs marine match I had in a good good while. When succeeding the kill is just so much more satisfying. XD
  • BensonBenson Join Date: 2012-03-07 Member: 148303Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    I think all the grief from the riflebut in beta came not from the knock back, but the STUN that it had. While I loved stunning a skulk and having a few seconds to kill it, it was kinda horrible from the skulks point of view.

I feel the riflebut should have knock back, but no movement impairing at all, or even just knockback if the skulk is in the air (when AREN'T skulks jumping like crackheads?). Either way, i feel that marines need something in close combat to extend their life a few seconds.
  • uffouffo Join Date: 2003-05-03 Member: 16026Members
    I use it fairly often when I have emptied a clip and don't have time to switch to pistol (or I know pistol needs reload) and the skulk is going to hug my face. It doesn't give lot of kills, but every now and then. Also knowing that the skulk is now at least a bit easier to kill for the next guy gives also me a little satisfaction.
  • ZekZek Join Date: 2002-11-10 Member: 7962Members, NS1 Playtester, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited February 2013
    To be clear I don't think it should have a stun or knockback of any kind. That's incredibly annoying to the skulk. I just think it should be at least easier to use as a supplemental source of damage.

Hehe. You said butt.

Skulks are actually quite large, you could easily reach it while standing: http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-NrU1AsjBnJI/TyZSyhKMunI/AAAAAAAAApM/-q9VJsOGB94/s1600/Skulk+Ownage.png

More important though is gameplay reasons. It just feels crappy, and people quickly train themselves never to use it as a result. Marines don't necessarily have to be terrible at melee - skulks also have the advantage of being extremely mobile and easily able to set up ambushes.
  • EmooEmoo Ibasa Join Date: 2002-12-20 Member: 11198Members
    Benson wrote: »
    or even just knockback if the skulk is in the air (when AREN'T skulks jumping like crackheads?).

That would be quite nice actually, gives a counter to those skulks that just spam jump with out effecting the ones who time it well too much. Nothing major, just a small enough knockback that any bite they would of got in is now out of reach.

• slayer20slayer20 Killed a man once. Join Date: 2007-12-13 Member: 63157Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    I think it would be better if it did more damage.
  • JalamanJalaman Join Date: 2012-12-28 Member: 176585Members
    Kopikat wrote: »
    Same deal with Exos and Sentries. If something is meant to be terrible, then it shouldn't even be in the game.

Are you saying Exos are terrible?

• AurOn2AurOn2 COOKIES! FREEDOM, AND BISCUITS! Australia Join Date: 2012-01-13 Member: 140224Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Forum staff
    Hehe. You said butt.

Hehe, you said butt.

can we have riflebutt do the knockback thing again? The only problem we had with it before is that it stunned people AND knocked people back, if it just sent people flying it would be fair, right?
  • MMZ_TorakMMZ_Torak Join Date: 2002-11-02 Member: 3770Members
    AuroN2 wrote: »
    can we have riflebutt do the knockback thing again? The only problem we had with it before is that it stunned people AND knocked people back, if it just sent people flying it would be fair, right?

Maybe. I do have visions of marines constantly rifle butt spamming (w+m2 anyone?) to keep skulks at bay though...
    Jalaman wrote: »

Yes. They're never worth the resources. Especially not when you can buy a jetpack and shotgun twice for less than the price of a single Exo.
  • sotanahtsotanaht Join Date: 2013-01-12 Member: 179215Members
    I think probably a damage improvement is all it really needs, maybe a very slight range improvement. Nothing extreme of course, just enough that it doesn't seem like a terrible idea.

Reflexes trained in L4D lead to me using it often when I first started, and quickly finding it wasn't worth the effort. Now all it is as far as I'm concerned is cherry tapping, a way to humiliate the skulk you kill with it.
  • thefonzthefonz Join Date: 2011-06-22 Member: 105847Members
    Jalaman wrote: »

Yes. They're never worth the resources. Especially not when you can buy a jetpack and shotgun twice for less than the price of a single Exo.

Not to split hairs, but I'm gonna split hairs. Do you mean a single dual exo or a single single exo? :P

• sotanahtsotanaht Join Date: 2013-01-12 Member: 179215Members
    Single dual exo, since the jp+sg costs more than half of a one gunner. You may as well forget the fist exo even exists for what it's worth unless the com is dropping it.

Exos aren't worthless though, they provide the meat that makes a JP assault work instead of just melting back at the first sign of trouble. They fill the tank player role, giving the aliens something to target that isn't the even squishier marines and the marines something to rally around.
  • WhiteWeaselWhiteWeasel Join Date: 2012-11-25 Member: 173197Members
    I got a lerk once with it. B-)
    edited February 2013
    sotanaht wrote: »
    Single dual exo, since the jp+sg costs more than half of a one gunner. You may as well forget the fist exo even exists for what it's worth unless the com is dropping it.

Exos aren't worthless though, they provide the meat that makes a JP assault work instead of just melting back at the first sign of trouble. They fill the tank player role, giving the aliens something to target that isn't the even squishier marines and the marines something to rally around.

They're not exactly tanks when it takes a single Skulk seven seconds to kill an A3 Exo.

Oni are tanks. Exos are giant metal deathtraps.
  • thefonzthefonz Join Date: 2011-06-22 Member: 105847Members
    sotanaht wrote: »

They're not exactly tanks when it takes a single Skulk seven seconds to kill an A3 Exo.

Oni are tanks. Exos are giant metal deathtraps.

existing foo spit out stupid crazy dps though. In the down of about 15 seconds I have shredded an onos, fade, perk, and a few skulks. I did it with good positioning, support, and a bit of luck.
  • VolcanoVolcano Join Date: 2011-07-27 Member: 112496Members, Constellation
    AuroN2 wrote: »

No
  • CalegoCalego Join Date: 2013-01-24 Member: 181848Members, NS2 Map Tester
    My main problem is that the rifle butt interrupts reload. Makes sense for sure, but what's worse is that the reload doesn't start immediately afterward. You just stand there for a dumb second until you realize you still have no bullets in the gun. Then you die. I've wondered why both the shotgun and pistol don't have a similar feature. Perhaps with different damage values.

I've been trying to remember to use it if I am certain the skulk is essentially dead. It saves you once in a while. I do wonder what would happen if it got bumped up to 30 damage. Knockback would also be interesting. They could introduce a sort of stamina system like L4D to stop the rightclick spam, the idea is already in place with sprinting.
  • VolcanoVolcano Join Date: 2011-07-27 Member: 112496Members, Constellation
    why do I get the feeling that reintroducing knockback will have the same effect as the knockback glitch on IP's where you would get sent flying across the room
  • Katana-Katana- Join Date: 2008-11-25 Member: 65575Members
    edited February 2013
    I agree the rifle put could use a small buff. right now I never use it unless I know my pistol has no bullets.

the pistol has better dps, and better total damage, plus it only takes a fraction of a second longer to draw and fire the pistol vs use the rifle butt.

If rifle but did more damage, but had an even longer recovery I think it would be interesting. Like doubling both damage and recovery. Just a thought.
  • AurOn2AurOn2 COOKIES! FREEDOM, AND BISCUITS! Australia Join Date: 2012-01-13 Member: 140224Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Forum staff
    if you could whack people away from you (NO STUN) It would be significantly more useful.
    volcano, that glitch only worked if you jumped into an ip/pg and you went flying out the other end, right? So if you are jumping at someone to bite them and they riflebutt you, logically, you will get thrown backwards hence not gain momentum?
    ERMAGHERD BIG WURDS.