Battery that powers buildings

dragonmithdragonmith Join Date: 2013-02-04 Member: 182817Members, Reinforced - Diamond
edited February 2013 in Ideas and Suggestions
Currently there is little point to building a fast robotics factory, but what if battery boxes could power structures?

Rather than a box having three sentries, it has three "points", which power in the event a node is destroyed/not built:

Infantry portals take 2 "points"
Armoires take 1
Phase gates take 3
Labs, 3
Observatories could possibly take 2 to power and 3 for ability to beacon

And obviously, a sentry would take 1 point.

This reduces the marine dependency on power nodes by a tiny bit, makes the robotics factory (and the battery) more useful and allows for interesting new marine com tactics (true ninja PG anyone???)

While the system might have a few problems unless another system is added for com; which building takes priority, etc.? I think this might work.

Any thoughts?

Comments

• CrushaKCrushaK Join Date: 2012-11-05 Member: 167195Members, NS2 Playtester
    edited February 2013
    The current Sentry Battery used to be a Power Pack back in beta that did power exactly one adjacent structure and sentries were dependant on the room power itself, as far as I know.
    No idea why the functionality got removed. It would probably have to be limited in some way (like restricting it to 1 Power Pack per room, making it a researchable thing in the Robotics Factory and making it expensive like 10-15 res per pack).
  • dragonmithdragonmith Join Date: 2013-02-04 Member: 182817Members, Reinforced - Diamond
    Well, you are only allowed one battery per room...

And I completely forgot about the pack... >:(
  • ZxaberZxaber Join Date: 2010-07-29 Member: 73315Members
    The pack was removed/changed because, if I remember, the devs said it wasn't fitting in well. In fact, before that, it simply powered all items nearby. I believe it was adding even more to the turtling that marines were allowed, since destroying the power node wouldn't have shutdown everything.

I imagine each tech point's power node location is heavily thought out, and the idea is probably to place it somewhere about equally easy to attack as it is to defend. The power pack could be placed in the jumble of structures next to the command station, often making it hard to spot, and even harder to attack.
  • hakenspithakenspit Join Date: 2010-11-26 Member: 75300Members
    Zxaber wrote: »
    The pack was removed/changed because, if I remember, the devs said it wasn't fitting in well. In fact, before that, it simply powered all items nearby. I believe it was adding even more to the turtling that marines were allowed, since destroying the power node wouldn't have shutdown everything.

I imagine each tech point's power node location is heavily thought out, and the idea is probably to place it somewhere about equally easy to attack as it is to defend. The power pack could be placed in the jumble of structures next to the command station, often making it hard to spot, and even harder to attack.
    Yes it didn't fit well, sure spawning in a darkened base due to a power pack was cool...it was not logical and did not play well.
    I think it was also not clear to aliens attacking what was powered and what wasn't (with exception of ip's).
    It meant that the intended weak spot was now no weaker, it also made ninja gates harder to do (as you now actually have to get the power on..not just build a battery and a gate in some obscure corner).
  • RahmosRahmos Join Date: 2012-11-13 Member: 170738Members
    Create a device that a player marine can buy at the armory or proto-lab cost var between 5-15 res because it's one use only.
    The device will power 1 item for XXX seconds depending on play balance.
    The device will allow a XX yard radius for the commander (CC) to build 1 item, say a phase gate.
    Once the phase gate is built that starts the timer on the device and will power the phase gate for XXX seconds.

Example, buy device and sneak into cargo hive, throw device down behind boxes, CC drops a phase gate, build phase gate (Once phase is operational then the count down starts), marines phase through kill hive and win!

before we get all, OMG THATS OP!, there are more then one use for it. powering IPs for example when the power goes down (at that point you're effed anyway) Also there would have to be some balance for the aliens, say a version of recall or phase gate.
  • CrushaKCrushaK Join Date: 2012-11-05 Member: 167195Members, NS2 Playtester
    Rahmos wrote: »
    Create a device that a player marine can buy at the armory or proto-lab cost var between 5-15 res because it's one use only.
    The device will power 1 item for XXX seconds depending on play balance.
    The device will allow a XX yard radius for the commander (CC) to build 1 item, say a phase gate.
    Once the phase gate is built that starts the timer on the device and will power the phase gate for XXX seconds.

Example, buy device and sneak into cargo hive, throw device down behind boxes, CC drops a phase gate, build phase gate (Once phase is operational then the count down starts), marines phase through kill hive and win!

before we get all, OMG THATS OP!, there are more then one use for it. powering IPs for example when the power goes down (at that point you're effed anyway) Also there would have to be some balance for the aliens, say a version of recall or phase gate.

If anything, such a device would probably have to be balanced in a way that a marine has to actively use it on a structure like a welder. The structure will only be powered as long as he keeps using the device.
    This makes it a big tradeoff to use for ninja PGs since you need one player to be completely defenseless and aliens could easily disturb the strategy.
  • BigTracerBigTracer Join Date: 2012-12-04 Member: 174169Members
    dragonmith wrote: »
    Currently there is little point to building a fast robotics factory, but what if battery boxes could power structures?

Rather than a box having three sentries, it has three "points", which power in the event a node is destroyed/not built:

Armoires take 1
    Phase gates take 3
    Labs, 3

This reduces the marine dependency on power nodes by a tiny bit, makes the robotics factory (and the battery) more useful and allows for interesting new marine com tactics (true ninja PG anyone???)

While the system might have a few problems unless another system is added for com; which building takes priority, etc.? I think this might work.

Any thoughts?

I've got batteries powering structures in my mod :bz
  • dragonmithdragonmith Join Date: 2013-02-04 Member: 182817Members, Reinforced - Diamond
    BigTracer wrote: »
    dragonmith wrote: »

Armoires take 1
    Phase gates take 3
    Labs, 3

Any thoughts?

I've got batteries powering structures in my mod :bz

Is it balanced however?
  • PoweredByBallsPoweredByBalls Join Date: 2013-02-18 Member: 183175Members
    I'm not sure if batteries are the answer, but it seems like Marines are really held back in this game by either:

a) being completely disabled by a power node going down at main base
    or
    b) being slowed down by having to build or repair power nodes as they go

I'm not really happy with this new power node mechanic, as this slows down the whole marine team having to build power nodes. For aliens it only takes the comm and cysts go up quick and allow for redundant backup cysts.

In NS1 I don't think it was as easy to take down the whole base by just attacking one item at the main base. You needed to get all the IPs or one or more comm chairs which were pretty tough to take down.