Mass Gorge+ Fast Bile Bomb

BloodandIronBloodandIron Join Date: 2012-11-24 Member: 173111Members
I joined up with a green server, 20 player, and join aliens on docking. After a standard game that we lost quite quickly (teams were terribly stacked), we decided to have some fun. We made a pact. Every player, at the beginning of the game, would go gorge, and rush their main. We began in generator, I was the commander, and I watched nine gorges run through departures in a big long gorge train. They reached terminal, and mass heal sprayed each other for about a minute before marines concentrated and just killed everything already. Naturally, we had no map control to speak of, with an RT in maintenance and in stability and that was it. The game ended shortly after, when the marines got shotguns and possibly double upgrades. Even though we lost, we decided that this was to much fun to not try again, but we refined our strategy.

The new map was summit. We began in sub, they began in flight. We forced the commander to drop a second hive in crossroads, and to not drop any cysts or RTs or upgrades. We just wanted bile bomb. We had three gorges healing up the hive, with twelve hydras as our defense. The marines pushed hard on our main hive, but me and two other skulks performed a holding action until the crossroads hive was grown. Once we began to spawn at the crossroads hive, it was only a matter of time before we lost sub access. Everyone who spawned at crossroads was told to go gorge, and all but two did so. Bile bomb researched, and, fifteen seconds later, our sub access hive died. We had one shot. If we died, we would never have bile again. So, me and three other gorges grouped up between summit reception and flight control, hiding in the vents while the three in computer labs got in position. Then, on my signal, we rushed in to the marine base, throwing bile bombs from long range. We closed into the command chair. No one was healing, we needed to save our energy for the bile bombs, because, remember, we didn't have adrenaline, or any other upgrades for that matter. We threw bile bombs, the distress beacon was going off, gorges were falling left and right, bullets were flying everywhere, but only the health bar on the command chair held my attention. Finally, with only three (don't quote me, there was a lot going on) gorges left, the chair exploded, I saw +25 come up on my screen, and the VICTORY sign came up on my screen.

And we laughed and laughed and laughed in the ready room, and I may have begun crying a little bit, I was laughing so hard. Never have I had so much fun in any game. I recommend that you all try this so clearly OP strategy. I just wish that I had video of it.

Comments

• BluPickleBluPickle Aix-En-Provence, France Join Date: 2013-02-07 Member: 182881Members
    Oh my god. That's interesting because I was thinking about a similar strategy for my games and my team.

I really think it could be a great idea, exacly like Skulks/IP rush or Marines/Egg Rush.
  • tdunc-tdunc- Join Date: 2013-01-12 Member: 179214Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    mass gorges with Hydra's have also worked :) just a big heal spray party.
  • BluPickleBluPickle Aix-En-Provence, France Join Date: 2013-02-07 Member: 182881Members
    tdunc- wrote: »

Nice idea. Maybe 3 or 4 sneaky gorges coming on the main base. Plant 9 or 12 Hydras, quick heal spray with the 3/4 Gorges, then Bill bomb time.

(You have to 100% grow all Hydras at the same time for not alerting the Marines (Hydras will attack the main base as soon as they could).
  • BloodandIronBloodandIron Join Date: 2012-11-24 Member: 173111Members
    BluPickle wrote: »
    tdunc- wrote: »

Nice idea. Maybe 3 or 4 sneaky gorges coming on the main base. Plant 9 or 12 Hydras, quick heal spray with the 3/4 Gorges, then Bill bomb time.

(You have to 100% grow all Hydras at the same time for not alerting the Marines (Hydras will attack the main base as soon as they could).

Our first game wasn't the most organized, even less so than the average pub game. People began to place hydras, but none of them finished in time to do anything. There is probably some potential for that, especially with that many gorges to build them. With more organization, who knows? This could be the new camo first. Regardless, it was incredibly fun.

I'll try to upload some screenshots from the first game, from the kham point of view. Just of the gorge train, I didn't remember to screenshot during the actual battle.
  • CrazyEddieCrazyEddie Join Date: 2013-01-08 Member: 178196Members
    Be sure to keep dancing around in a group so that the marines can't easily focus fire on a single one of you. Because all you damn gorges look alike.
  • ResRes Join Date: 2003-08-27 Member: 20245Members
    On Mavick's pub server we did nearly the same thing on refinery. Except we did a Gorge Hydra rush.

We spawned in Containment and almost all of us went to the south end of lava and evolved to gorge in that spot. Then we gorge rushed their main base and all placed Hydras and started healing everything....... the marine's couldn't do jack against about 15-18 hydras in their base lol..... There was too few of them in their base as they had spread out to secure locations, so when they rushed back to their base they just trickled in and died.
  • FuleFule Join Date: 2009-06-04 Member: 67683Members
    Since we're talking about gorge rushes... yesterday one happened to me. The map was ns2_mineshaft, we started in terminal, about a minute or so later, the WHOLE TEAM of gorges came in pilotdrill and started building hydras right around the corner of our base. Man that was a huge mess, no one could kill anything - they were healing SO FAST. It probably took 5+ minutes to finally kill them all but we were set back so far... The worst thing was that they even had a shift there and were spawning skulks right next to our base. Needless to say - we lost that game, because of this huge setback, but we did manage to take and hold deposit and sorting but it was too late - onoses were already in the field.
  • SquishpokePOOPFACESquishpokePOOPFACE -21,248 posts (ignore below) Join Date: 2012-10-31 Member: 165262Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    How did you manage to keep bile bomb when you only had one hive? Maybe you had a second hive somewhere else, maybe data core?
  • aaSpideraaSpider Join Date: 2010-07-27 Member: 73079Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    Squishpoke wrote: »
    How did you manage to keep bile bomb when you only had one hive? Maybe you had a second hive somewhere else, maybe data core?
    Any upgrades you already have you keep until you die.

• WakeWake Join Date: 2003-03-05 Member: 14351Members, Constellation
    The good old gorge rush ;-)
    The more hard part of it ? Suceeding in setting it up.

I didn't have an occasion to see it in NS2.

In NS1, droppping OCs costed res, one had to deal between MCs an OCs when reaching marine base.
    Hydras are free, but your can't drop MCs (although your comm could drop a shift, mmmh .... shift + Hydras sounds good)

On marine side, A counter was to drop some shotguns, but in NS2, I don't know how you effectively counter this.
  • SquishpokePOOPFACESquishpokePOOPFACE -21,248 posts (ignore below) Join Date: 2012-10-31 Member: 165262Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Wake wrote: »
    On marine side, A counter was to drop some shotguns, but in NS2, I don't know how you effectively counter this.

If they get in your base, it's over. Period. So I'm guessing the idea is to have excellent scouting to see the gorges coming before its too late. Block the base entrance with robo factory if the TRES is available for it. Engage them just outside of the base, spam the crap out of ammo, health, and scans as marine commander. After the initial rush is done, the aliens will hopefully be vulnerable to a counterattack.

That's my guess, anyway.
  • FrankerZFrankerZ Join Date: 2012-05-06 Member: 151627Members
  • DaxxDaxx Join Date: 2002-04-16 Member: 460Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    Squishpoke wrote: »

If they get in your base, it's over. Period. So I'm guessing the idea is to have excellent scouting to see the gorges coming before its too late. Block the base entrance with robo factory if the TRES is available for it. Engage them just outside of the base, spam the crap out of ammo, health, and scans as marine commander. After the initial rush is done, the aliens will hopefully be vulnerable to a counterattack.

That's my guess, anyway.

Pretty much that, you see it coming and get em as they come in, or get overwhelmed if the hydras get up.
  • deathshrouddeathshroud Join Date: 2010-04-10 Member: 71291Members
    a good strategy is if marines start warehouse, get a gorup of skulks together climn the rafters and go gorge, either out of range of the obs or do it before they get obs, all drop hydras and then start shooting their ip followed by cc
  • HeatSurgeHeatSurge Some Guy Join Date: 2012-09-15 Member: 159438Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    A good marine team will see this coming long before gorges are anywhere near the command chair.

Good fun for pubs though.
  • CiroCiro Join Date: 2013-01-09 Member: 178392Members
    Done this and a hydra rush (took sub on veil with it). Jump around crossing each others LoF (while healing) for the hydra rush.

The Bile Bomb rush is defendable, with shotguns. Block the bile with marine bodies, watch the power node, and focus the Gorges down. Feels good killing these opportunistic Gorges; especially when they try to escape.

Great story, OP.
  • piratedavepiratedave Join Date: 2012-03-10 Member: 148561Members
    last time i was involved in a gorge rush was on refinery in a 24 player server. It was probably the best gorge rush game ive been in

We all gorged up at containment and went as 1 big group to flow control. No marines went lava so we took them completely by surprise. We all dropped our 3 hydras and utterly raped their base. The game didnt end though because marines had relocated to pipeline, so we all went and did the same thing again and destroyed their base in pipeline, this time we only dropped 2 hydras (leaving about 10 hydras still in flow control to protect our newly growing hive) yet the game still didnt end because marines had relocated yet again to turbine and smelting. So we all went to turbine but this time marines held us off, they managed to keep us from getting inside turbine and placing our hydras, so the gorges that were still alive placed hydras outside of turbine and kept the marines busy. Those of us that died re-gorged and went to smelting, we finished off the CC there and then went to the other entrance of turbine and placed hydras there. Marines were completely trapped inside of turbine, the game ended shortly after we got bilebomb and took out the power node.
  • thefonzthefonz Join Date: 2011-06-22 Member: 105847Members
    Ciro wrote: »
    Done this and a hydra rush (took sub on veil with it). Jump around crossing each others LoF (while healing) for the hydra rush.

The Bile Bomb rush is defendable, with shotguns. Block the bile with marine bodies, watch the power node, and focus the Gorges down. Feels good killing these opportunistic Gorges; especially when they try to escape.

Great story, OP.

Blocking bile with a player is surprisingly effective. I stumbled on this last night. Great way to save a base from a bile rush while your teammates phase back.
  • SanCoSanCo Join Date: 2012-08-18 Member: 155744Members
    I recommend that you all try this so clearly OP strategy.

You won with no RT's, main hive dead and barely managed to finish the game off. Doesn't sound OP at all. The reason you though it was fun was more likely due too teamwork and a strategy out of the ordinary, new things are fun. Would be boring if you did this all-in every game like standard meta.

Gorge Hydra rush is likely more effective if pulled off properly near the power node, which would die in a min and game over with 9 gorges, however any marine commander worth is salt would just relocated and an ordinary game evolve. Blocking exits for marine has been proven more effective, 2 gorges at each exit can easily hold off marine team long enough to capture most of the map in pubs.
  • BloodandIronBloodandIron Join Date: 2012-11-24 Member: 173111Members
    SanCo wrote: »
    I recommend that you all try this so clearly OP strategy.

You won with no RT's, main hive dead and barely managed to finish the game off. Doesn't sound OP at all. The reason you though it was fun was more likely due too teamwork and a strategy out of the ordinary, new things are fun. Would be boring if you did this all-in every game like standard meta.

Gorge Hydra rush is likely more effective if pulled off properly near the power node, which would die in a min and game over with 9 gorges, however any marine commander worth is salt would just relocated and an ordinary game evolve. Blocking exits for marine has been proven more effective, 2 gorges at each exit can easily hold off marine team long enough to capture most of the map in pubs.

Did... did you think I was serious? I find this moderately hilarious. You must be really fun to troll.
  • ogzogz Join Date: 2002-11-24 Member: 9765Members
    Refer this match for some gorge rush action :p

• DC_DarklingDC_Darkling Join Date: 2003-07-10 Member: 18068Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver
    The good old gorge rush ;-)
    The more hard part of it ? Suceeding in setting it up.

I didn't have an occasion to see it in NS2.

In NS1, droppping OCs costed res, one had to deal between MCs an OCs when reaching marine base.
    Hydras are free, but your can't drop MCs (although your comm could drop a shift, mmmh .... shift + Hydras sounds good)

Not at the moment. They slurp a small amount of res.