Comm alerts

OnosFactoryOnosFactory New Zealand Join Date: 2008-07-16 Member: 64637Members
edited February 2013 in NS2 General Discussion
Just watched this poor newbie marine comm for 3 hours.

FIX ALERTS.

Now. Make them LOUDER. Is that hard lol?

Comments

• Brad_RBrad_R pandas | brad Join Date: 2002-11-12 Member: 8273Members, Constellation
    I know right? Having to look at the map is for the dogs.
  • AmbAmb Join Date: 2012-11-09 Member: 168647Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    edited February 2013
    Alien gets an extremely loud hive alert, marine gets nothing. You know why? You don't know why.
  • MobyMoby Join Date: 2009-08-13 Member: 68450Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited February 2013
    You dont see shit on the map as rine commander, if you have to babysit a full engagement, and some dumb skulk eats down your only really important building -> POWER NODE IN A BASE!!!

No Warning for this, nothing! And you know why... because, my BASE is always under attack, ALWAYS. So I hear every ten seconds... Your base is under attack... yeah, so what, one RT down, and... but wait, it was the bloody darn POWER NODE IN BASE!
    Hate that game for this flaw.

Why not implement: If Power Node in Room with Command Chair is under attack play in 200% volume (since NS2 is so silent anyway): YOUR POWER NODE IN BASE IS UNDER ATTACK
    SCREAM IT !!!! BLOW A HORN !!! Like in an bomb attack, something at least!
  • SquishpokePOOPFACESquishpokePOOPFACE -21,248 posts (ignore below) Join Date: 2012-10-31 Member: 165262Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    A simple fix would be to flicker the lights map-wide if a tech point node with a dropped chair in the room is under attack. And it wouldn't be as annoying as a klaxon whine.
  • XaoXao Join Date: 2012-12-12 Member: 174840Members
    I wish there was a filter in options so that structures/people under attack would not pick up the 'spacebar' center screen, annoying trying to respond to medpack/ammo requests that you know are urgent while doing some upgrading or scouting but you get hovered over to a res node being attacked by a lerk instead because it got attacked .1 second after the request.
  • LofungLofung Join Date: 2004-08-21 Member: 30757Members
    i dun even understand why this feature is built in during release. devs claim that they play games. what do they play? did they play their old ns or some random sudoku game?

i cant count how many times i raise this already. the hud is so 1990
  • JuCCiJuCCi Join Date: 2011-08-08 Member: 114961Members, NS2 Map Tester
    Ye and just make it auto med and ammo for you. And build all building. Make it's so the comm could be a 3 years old and play this game. Because we are all to derpy to play it and have ADHD......
  • SkackySkacky Join Date: 2005-06-05 Member: 53189Members
    edited February 2013
    The only thing I'd like to see for the Marine commander is more feedback when a critical power node gets attacked. It is very easy to be distracted by some action when you are supporting your team while some Gorges happily bile your power node and you didn't see it.
  • XariusXarius Join Date: 2003-12-21 Member: 24630Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    It's quite sad that UWE still hasn't added an alert for main base power node being under attack. I mean, it's a quick fix that would save a lot of frustration and prevent cheesy alien wins.
    Why should there be one? It's the comms job to be on point. Or maybe they should send out free chairs that zap your as... when you power is under attack.
    Because it's critical and the feedback is almost non-existent. When your Command Center gets smashed in StarCraft, you have this big flashing icon on your minimap. Why don't we have that in NS2?
  • MobyMoby Join Date: 2009-08-13 Member: 68450Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited February 2013
    Ignore the troll Jucci, obviously he is an master as commander, so he can bring it on.
    Well, Jucci, good for you, but unfortunately the world consists of more people as just only you, so the rest has a problem with it, move to an other thread to troll with your wisdom.
  • delta78delta78 Join Date: 2013-01-08 Member: 178131Members
    Today had a game, where three times my power went down in a room with a chair. No alarm, no noting. Alright, I tried to be more careful but literally just for a few seconds I was not looking at main and BAM! 2 onos, gorges and other stuff destroyed power node and bye bye main base. No alarm, no "We are under attack, Captain!", no "Set phasers on their engines!", no "Set vector of attack!" :( just no power and of course GG.
    Hardly master. Just people need to watch the map more. And talk to each other...
  • soccerguy243soccerguy243 Join Date: 2012-12-22 Member: 175920Members, WC 2013 - Supporter
    edited February 2013
    JuCCi wrote: »
    Why should there be one? It's the comms job to be on point. Or maybe they should send out free chairs that zap your as... when you power is under attack.
    That's just ridiculous. Why shouldn't there be one?
    Aural cues help improve a commander's situational awareness. Right now the constant base under attack for all the res nodes is worthless. Commanders are tuning it out because its become a redundant annoying alarm cue.

I guess pilots shouldn't have alarms on their plane when important things happen. Air traffic controls shouldn't have an aural alarm when planes get too close together. The car shouldn't peep when you open the door and your keys are still in the ignition. All those people should be on point all the time. *dodgy*

• ChrisAUSChrisAUS Join Date: 2012-11-17 Member: 172108Members
    Hardly master. Just people need to watch the map more. And talk to each other...

The UI does need fixes. If you have an Observatory in your base, and aliens come in range you should beable to see how many, and of what type they are. At the moment you get a 'your base is under attack' and see a red dot on the map. I just played a game where I was comm and a unit came into the main and started sniping the arms lab, no-one was coming back to defend it so I jumped out assuming it was a skulk, and died because it was a fade. There was an obs about 2 meters to the right of the arms lab by the way. Why do I have to scan as comm, to show alien lifeforms that are within range of an obs?

Also being able to hotkey a building and double click that hotkey to center on the position would be greatly appreciated.

CTRL-Selecting would also be appreciated.

Sometimes it's even hard to initially see which structure is under attack, without clicking on each building in the area to see the lowering HP.

Introducing an intuitive UI to the game would actually raise the overall skill level of games IMO. Having a slow or cumbersome UI doesn't mean the comm needs to get better just so he can counter-act the UI problems.
    But if everything was made easy... how do you learn to be better and make good judgement calls? Like you skulk issue. Oh its a fade, im not getting out. Maybe the team was trying to bait you out with the fade for a mass ambush. These are things to teach people to work as a team. He i got something in base come back someone. Like i said, why does everyone want easy mode on everything?
    An indicator when the power is under attack is not easymode, it's common sense. Right now you have next to no indication when a power node gets attacked and it's extremely frustrating to lose power in a room, even for 30 seconds, because you were busy medding/supporting your team somewhere else and did not see the tiny ping on the minimap.

I am by no means a bad commander, I have led my team to victory even on maps like Refinery, but I feel cheated every time the power gets attacked because I don't see it and the Marines aren't fast enough to tell me. It's actually pretty similar to the upgrade issue with the Khamm.
    ^ Best comm NA! That's how you do it. Not this feed the baby crap.
  • 1dominator11dominator1 Join Date: 2010-11-19 Member: 75011Members
    edited February 2013
    I find the rts UI to be pretty shit in general. It also cracks me up that the comm cant hear skulks munching the outside of his chair.
  • Brad_RBrad_R pandas | brad Join Date: 2002-11-12 Member: 8273Members, Constellation
    edited February 2013
    I'm all for a better UI, but by simplifying the game is a poor choice. This aspect is one of the few skills of Comming that can easily distinguish 'good' from 'bad'. Why is the game supposed to alert you? The map shows you everything you need to know. Whether a team sees, identifies and addresses the situation is what playing the game is.
  • ResRes Join Date: 2003-08-27 Member: 20245Members
    Simplifying the game vs a "quality of life" change are completely different things. Adding a decent alert to powernodes being underattack is not simplifying the game... it is just making a quality of life change for the better. Same with being able to see the aliens in your base when there is a observatory nearby.

I also suspect that these simple changes will also help balance out the win/loss ratio for marines/aliens just a little bit... not completely but a little.

Not doing it is like saying..... You should have to program the game yourself to play and not "feed the babies" who don't know how to do it.
    edited February 2013
    The issue isn't really me getting out of the comm chair. I know I shouldn't get out. But when you call it on mic and still no-one comes back in a PUB you have to try it. In my situation the Fade killed me, then finished off the Arms Lab, then killed me on re-spawn before people came back to defend.

I generally hotkey my observatories so I can beacon easily if I need to, but I only ever comm in PUB, not in scrims. In your situation Locklear I can see how your hotkeys would be a good advantage for you. But general PUB play seems to revolve around setting up 'bases' everywhere. I was also under the impression you could only use 1,2,3 and 4 for hotkeys - My bad. I'll definately be hot-keying key power nodes from now on.

Jucci - Adding things in like CTRL-Selecting or SHIFT-Clicking to add units to your selection isn't making the game easy mode. It's allowing commanders to act quicker. Do you think hotkeys should be taken out of the build menu? or removing CTRL-Grouping all together to make the game harder?

I think most of the stuff I listed was based around making the UI easier to navigate, not making the game easier.
  • WheeeeWheeee Join Date: 2003-02-18 Member: 13713Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    i feel that hotkeying the powernode is a kludgey workaround since you're limited to 5 control groups. if you had more possible control groups then fine, whatever, it's l2p - but to occupy an important resource such as hotkey slots with something that could easily be done by some other means (audio alert) seems pretty lame to me.
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    edited February 2013
    This thread seems familiar.. :)
    Regarding actual notification bugs relating to priority and a proper UI :
    Its known, and Its being worked on, just so you know.
    A small improvement was made a couple of patches ago, but we rejected the fix overall still, as it was lacking like you know, and thus it is still being worked on by the devs. (I can even see which one.)

While i obviously cant say for sure when or even if anything will go in by next patch, I'll bump it up in priority just for good measure.
  • LofungLofung Join Date: 2004-08-21 Member: 30757Members
    edited February 2013
    Locklear wrote: »
    Hotkey - Ctrl + 1 to your power node while selected.

My power node is 1, my armory is 2, my observatory is 3, my arms lab is 4, my protolab is 5.

Then it will appear above your minimap and flash red when under attack. You can apply this with multiple base structures.

Most Commanders probably have the APM of like 12 so they can't handle multi-tasking/checking their base often? Either way just do what I said above.. hotkey your structures and you will get icons that flash red when under attack above your minimap.

Fixed.
    you do only have one and only one power node to take care with huh. unless they could give me 20 fastkey spaces, i will have a headache comming a 40 minutes switching my whole map checking out of phase gates power nodes and outposts, forget about those key personnels or jps already. oh yes btw i play in master league sc2 with 180 effective apm if you really care, it still does not mean or it is an excuse for that warning should be a feature missing. my apm could be well spent somewhere, not clicking on the map and structures.

nor low apm should have been a valid argument against lacking warning.
    "Jucci - Adding things in like CTRL-Selecting or SHIFT-Clicking to add units to your selection isn't making the game easy mode. It's allowing commanders to act quicker. Do you think hotkeys should be taken out of the build menu? or removing CTRL-Grouping all together to make the game harder?"

Never said this at all. Im talking about a warning on everything being attacked. Might as well put more info in my face.
    Never said this at all. Im talking about a warning on everything being attacked. Might as well put more info in my face.

Ahh, my mistake - I thought you were disagreeing with my earlier post when you said you didn't want it to be easy mode.

I wouldn't mind more emphasis on tech point power nodes coming under attack, and less warning on things like RT's to be honest.
  • ryanmcaleeseryanmcaleese Join Date: 2005-01-06 Member: 32952Members, Constellation
    It would be good if their was some change in the comm's screen i.e. slight flicker if the power node attached to the cc he is in comes under attack. Would have to be quite a minor flicker as to not make it hard to comm when this happens.