co_chuteout

2»

Comments

• WorthyRivalWorthyRival Black Armor Division Join Date: 2006-11-07 Member: 58470Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    I'm in Australia. so yes I'm from a future timezone.
  • schkorpioschkorpio I can mspaint Join Date: 2003-05-23 Member: 16635Members
    in that case, can you please tell me the winning lotto numbers - I will go you 50/50 :P
  • bp2008bp2008 Join Date: 2012-11-28 Member: 173581Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold
    edited February 2013
    bp2008 it's a great suggestion that I don;t know how to do :( ,but I've just changed the weld entity system to a once off to make the map more intense fighting for levels.

Making material textures is a bit complicated until you really figure out how it all goes together (most of the guides are old, too, which doesn't help). Hopefully the combat player community will learn of this addition to your map well enough that a couple people on the server always know how it works :)

Perhaps I should write an updated guide...
  • EiZONEiZON Join Date: 2008-12-07 Member: 65687Members
    I like the art style, hope to see this on a server some time
  • bp2008bp2008 Join Date: 2012-11-28 Member: 173581Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold
    It is on a lot of servers (I daresay most servers, because it is one of the recommended combat maps). If it isn't on a server it is because this map has been historically unbalanced more than most maps.
  • DarkSeraphDarkSeraph Join Date: 2004-06-07 Member: 29174Members
    I'm in Australia. so yes I'm from a future timezone.

Australia is a month ahead? I'm with Shkorpio, tell me winning lottery numbers!
  • WorthyRivalWorthyRival Black Armor Division Join Date: 2006-11-07 Member: 58470Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    lol I only just realised I put in March not February even after you pointed it out. I'm such a derp.

I've tried so many things to try and balance this map. It has been a right bastard in not wanting to play ball.
    I'm always open to ideas and suggestions to balance it better. I'd like it to be a great map one day, Unfortunately the maps not there yet. But I endeavor to fix it till it is.
    So give me as much feed back, ideas and suggestions till I get it right.
  • DarkSeraphDarkSeraph Join Date: 2004-06-07 Member: 29174Members
    I've tried so many things to try and balance this map. It has been a right bastard in not wanting to play ball.
    I'm always open to ideas and suggestions to balance it better. I'd like it to be a great map one day, Unfortunately the maps not there yet. But I endeavor to fix it till it is.
    So give me as much feed back, ideas and suggestions till I get it right.

On a serious note: this map was one of the first couple examples of how vertical gameplay doesn't translate well into Natural Selection 2. To me, this is an important lesson about the advantage that is gained from having the higher ground - something which is a well documented real life combat strategy.

I'm curious to see how the teleporters change gameplay (I haven't played the latest version yet), but I worry it will still have a polarizing effect: either aliens will ambush 3rd level teleport such that marines can't get a hold, or marines will dominate up to the 5th level, making the in use map area very small. You still are the first mapper to extensively test the teleport in combat (this map & assault), so we'll have to see. It's definitely worth testing & trying to change, but to be honest from a balance standpoint the map might not be feasible due to layout. It's up to you to call when your skills might be better used elsewhere. At the moment Assault has a better chance of improving balance, in my opinion.
  • MagnetoMagneto Join Date: 2010-12-22 Member: 75856Members
    Balancing a map like this or one using teleporters isn't easy but you can eventually find a reasonable setup if you check ns2stats.

I don't think you should block the middle as it kind of takes away the point of the map i think, why not open it up but also have a system of push triggers with holes on each floor at different places so marines can get up to each quicker.

Also it would be a good idea to make broken glass non collidable so it's easier to use.
    Map Update 09.02.2013
    Lots of layout changes to almost every level.
    Magneto wrote: »
    Balancing a map like this or one using teleporters isn't easy but you can eventually find a reasonable setup if you check ns2stats.

I don't think you should block the middle as it kind of takes away the point of the map i think, why not open it up but also have a system of push triggers with holes on each floor at different places so marines can get up to each quicker.

Also it would be a good idea to make broken glass non collidable so it's easier to use.

The teleporters really change the game play. So much so that I've already opened up the chute again to give aliens a chance as marines can teleport back and forth to protect the Command chair when it's under attack or need resupply.

I've also change the layout of almost every level. A few more twists and thing to take cover behind to make each level and corridor a little more interesting.

The trick to this map is knowing about the teleporters and understanding their power.
    Aliens really must hold those teleport locations at all costs, especially the the one outside alien spawn, while a small force harass the CC and armory constantly.

Marines need to hold the bottom of the chute and guard the CC, While a small force captures a teleport location.
    Personally I think it's a very tactical map now. The fact that there are secondary objectives that can change the balance of power, make it really interesting.

The biggest problem is most don't know about the teleporters or how they work so aliens don;t know to guard them.
    Map updated.

New Exit in Alien Spawn. Accessible to marines via jet-pack only.
    Broken glass changed to non collidable. (easier chute access)
    New Occullion Culling added.

Walk through video.

Updated.

I've closed the middle of the chute again. I really didn't want to do it but It seems to me to be the largest fundamental flaw of the map.

Jump Pads added to chute. (Flawed as marines have no air control) Looking for work around.
    Vent rework. Vents now lead down only 1 level. No direct access to Marines spawn.
    Onos can access middle vent - Was unintentionall but funny none the less - Will see how it pans out.
    Power and lighting rework for spawn areas.
    Marine and Aliens Power nodes moved.
    1st Floor edited new geo and props.