Show the commander's viewpoint on the map

CimCim Join Date: 2012-02-25 Member: 147403Members
edited February 2013 in Ideas and Suggestions
I think that showing the marine commander's viewport on the map/minimap would improve a lot of things. First and foremost, it would make the commander feel more present. Not just an invisible force that generates medpacks out of thin air. Overall it fits well with the theme of the marine commander being more "hands-on" than the khamm.

It would also have a few, but important, gameplay ramifications. You would no longer have to guess if the commander is looking at your location waiting to drop medpacks/ammo. It would also help with standing around waiting for the commander to drop structures. You could easily discern from the map if the comm is busy supporting in a fight or building elsewhere. We already have the build-log on the left, but this would give a much better idea of what the comm is doing at any given moment.

2013020200001.jpg

Comments

• DaxxDaxx Join Date: 2002-04-16 Member: 460Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    It'd be a nice to have, would be useful. I wouldn't list this as critical though.
  • EmooEmoo Ibasa Join Date: 2002-12-20 Member: 11198Members
    Agree, not critical. But would be a really nice addition.
  • FuleFule Join Date: 2009-06-04 Member: 67683Members
  • schkorpioschkorpio I can mspaint Join Date: 2003-05-23 Member: 16635Members
    or better still have a kind of nanite/bateria particle swarm float around the map to represent where both commander's are looking.

it would be kind of intimidating to see that the enemy commander is watching you, as well as comforting to know that a commander is look over you :)

and of course give a real presence on the field.
  • JalamanJalaman Join Date: 2012-12-28 Member: 176585Members
    This isn't critical on the grand scale of things, but it'd be pretty critical for me. I'd get enormous use out of it.
  • bp2008bp2008 Join Date: 2012-11-28 Member: 173581Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold
    edited February 2013
    I was going to suggest exactly this myself but I never got around to it! I would find this addition to the game incredibly useful. In fact if there was a mod to do this, I would probably stop playing on servers that didn't have it.

schkorpio wrote: »
    or better still have a kind of nanite/bateria particle swarm float around the map to represent where both commander's are looking.

it would be kind of intimidating to see that the enemy commander is watching you, as well as comforting to know that a commander is look over you :)

LOL that would be hilarious but it would also be so incredibly game-breaking to know where the enemy commander's attention was. The particle effect would probably get irritating fast, too :D
  • CimCim Join Date: 2012-02-25 Member: 147403Members
    edited February 2013
    bp2008 wrote: »
    LOL that would be hilarious but it would also be so incredibly game-breaking to know where the enemy commander's attention was. The particle effect would probably get irritating fast, too :D
    Wouldn't have to be something as drastic as a flying particle effect.

What I'd like to see is the infestation "bubble" faster when the alien commander is viewing it. Maybe even increase the idle animations of the structures slightly. That could make the alien commander's presence felt more.

Then again, that's probably a lot of work for no practical purpose what so ever. ;)
  • uffouffo Join Date: 2003-05-03 Member: 16026Members
    No. I can see why it would be nice, but I can also see how it could give even more fuel for certain type of players who would go shouting "comm you should be watching this place, not that one!!!" and someone else shouting same thing from other end of the map.
  • CimCim Join Date: 2012-02-25 Member: 147403Members
    uffo wrote: »
    No. I can see why it would be nice, but I can also see how it could give even more fuel for certain type of players who would go shouting "comm you should be watching this place, not that one!!!" and someone else shouting same thing from other end of the map.
    That type of player will complain regardless. Taking that into consideration when looking at game mechanics is pretty crazy if you ask me.

Also, on the flip side to what your saying... it would make tutoring new commanders a lot easier.
  • uffouffo Join Date: 2003-05-03 Member: 16026Members
    Reiterizing myself. Commander's actions already are scrutinized beyond wonder and I believe that's one of the reasons why players find it intimidating to hop in to the chair, this might add up to it even more.
  • ParagonParagon Join Date: 2012-11-06 Member: 167573Members
    If you can't stomach being told that you are a shitty commander then maybe you don't have what it takes to lead others. It's no easy job and not everyone is expected to be able to do it. I see no problem with Cim's suggestion.
  • schkorpioschkorpio I can mspaint Join Date: 2003-05-23 Member: 16635Members

I feel his presence watching me at every step :)
    Sauron.jpg

when someone starts backseat commanding I mute them, and I tell the team to mute them.

yeah something a bit more subtle would be cool though - i've always wanted this :)
  • ZxaberZxaber Join Date: 2010-07-29 Member: 73315Members
    edited February 2013
    I feel his presence watching me at every step :)

Not gonna lie, that's how I felt when I played Nuclear Dawn for the first time. That game has this feature and seeing it sort of glide across the map as it examined each area was a bit unsettling. Especially as it watched me fail at combat.

The idea does sound cool. In all seriousness, it does seem to work out for ND. It would be neet to see the thought process and playstyle of other commanders, too. Whenever I comm, I'm often flying across the map. I wonder how many other people do that too.

I would, however, recommend it being an option disabled by default. New players would be unlikely to benefit from knowing what their commander is up to, and it would be one more thing to trip over in learning an already high curve for a shooter. Not to mention its more attention-grabbing than the player's own position. Leave it as something to discover in the options.
  • SquishpokePOOPFACESquishpokePOOPFACE -21,248 posts (ignore below) Join Date: 2012-10-31 Member: 165262Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Zxaber wrote: »
    Not gonna lie, that's how I felt when I played Nuclear Dawn for the first time. That game has this feature and seeing it sort of glide across the map as it examined each area was a bit unsettling. Especially as it watched me fail at combat.

"Oh, the commander is watching me! I must be his favorite!" *promptly dies to an ambush*

• kingkrabbe.#bofkingkrabbe.#bof Join Date: 2012-10-21 Member: 162892Members
    edited February 2013

I just remembered playing Black & White. You could see your "gods" hand, and your "enemy gods" hand. and you where able to slap/stroke your pet creature and you could pick up things and throw them around.

I would like to see a mod which adds that to NS2. "A skulk eating my extractor?" *pickup skulk, throw away* "A marine shooting my lovely gorges?" *slap marine, fondle gorges belly afterwards*
  • GrueneMedizinGrueneMedizin Join Date: 2012-12-13 Member: 175008Members
    Sounds like a nice idea, but I'm not sure if it would cluster the minimap with all kinds of graphs, lines and boxes.
  • whoppaXXLwhoppaXXL Join Date: 2006-11-03 Member: 58298Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    u press escape

u click options

u check the box "Show Commander viewpoint on Map"

????

PROFIT