Good fps but micro-freezing sometimes

Comments

• IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    yes if u can reproduce it.

@foolz: google "symbolic links" on how to install a steam game elsewhere.
  • GamerkatzeGamerkatze Join Date: 2012-06-27 Member: 153711Members
    You dont need linked folders anymore to install steamgames on different drives ;)
  • phoenixbbsphoenixbbs Join Date: 2003-02-10 Member: 13379Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Subnautica Playtester
    edited February 2013
    I'm on my linux laptop at the moment, and having problems sorting the data quite as efficiently as normal, but hopefully this is still readable...

PS: These are from the log posted by foolfoolz

Loading 'fonts/agencyfb_smaller_bordered_0.png' took 57.770
    Loading 'fonts/agencyfb_smaller_bordered.fnt' took 105.260
    Loading 'fonts/kartika_small_0.png' took 57.290
    Loading 'fonts/kartika_small.fnt' took 98.290
    Loading 'fonts/stamp_huge_0.png' took 22.940
    Loading 'fonts/stamp_huge.fnt' took 38.430
    Loading 'fonts/stamp_large_0.png' took 12.360
    Loading 'fonts/stamp_large_0.png' took 46.430
    Loading 'fonts/stamp_large.fnt' took 101.530
    Loading 'fonts/stamp_large.fnt' took 482.710
    Loading 'fonts/stamp_medium_0.png' took 55.030
    Loading 'fonts/stamp_medium.fnt' took 107.220
    Loading 'models/alien/infestation/infestation2.model' took 54.700
    Loading 'models/alien/infestation/infestation_blob.model' took 10.060
    Loading 'models/alien/infestation/infestation_shell.model' took 61.700
    Loading 'models/alien/lerk/lerk_view_spike.model' took 17.300
    Loading 'models/effects/frag_metal_01.model' took 33.800
    Loading 'models/marine/armory/health_indicator.model' took 32.270
    Loading 'models/marine/arms_lab/arms_lab_holo.model' took 357.380
    Loading 'models/marine/powerpoint_impulse/powerpoint_impulse.model' took 21.900
    Loading 'models/misc/commander_arrow_aliens.model' took 100.660

Edit: looks nicely formatted while editing, and goes ape when I save it :-(
  • foolfoolzfoolfoolz Join Date: 2013-01-24 Member: 181835Members
    ironhorse wrote: »
    Holy Crap 482 ms!??
    Yeesh!
    Interesting that it seems your markers are sometimes near these things loading, and then other times not at all, and seem to be near times when you've killed someone or they've killed you.
    Makes me think there's two problems occurring. You should run with net_stats turned on, and when you notice that hitch glance at the info for any odd change and maybe screenshot it with f12.

Thats because i was playing the game. If i was in the middle of a fight and it was freezing, i wasnt going to type a message. After i killed the guy and ended the fight, i would type.

• ShqkeShqke Join Date: 2013-01-28 Member: 182544Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    in fact we can't play with "profile" thing, if i understand, i have to type profile after a freez and type space to pause, and look for purple frame ?
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    you can play with profile.. you just cant "play" .. lol..
    as in you cant jump (space bar) but you can move and shoot etc.. ofc its covering your entire screen so again you can only use it to capture something that you can reliably reproduce, like i said above.

Then yes, after experiencing that hitch, pause it and expand the longest purple bars to show everything, and take a screenshot.
    Be sure to scroll down too, to be sure you are looking at the most resource intensive bar.
    Also are you using vsync at all??
    Multirendering?
    What are you graphics settings exactly?
  • Mattk50Mattk50 Join Date: 2013-02-04 Member: 182824Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Getting this problem too, gtx580 12gb ddr3 ram, i7920. Its really, really bad and incredibly easy to reproduce for me, do you guys need any more testing/logs for this?
  • ShqkeShqke Join Date: 2013-01-28 Member: 182544Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    I can play 10 minutes or more without having this issue, it's not easy to reproduce. I'll try to play with profile, and without jumping.
    I tried vsync off/onn and multirendering on/off i got the same issue. But i'm actually vsync off multirendering on.

I don't know if it's normal or if it's the same problem but i got this little freez when i use for the first time the armory or the lab (in this case it's not important caus i'm not fighting.
  • xtalxtal aka X-rayCat Join Date: 2009-06-28 Member: 67961Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Supporter
    edited February 2013
    hint: If you run profiler in game, after pause with 'space' key, you can use '/b]' and '[b' key to go back and forth in history of captured frames. This way it will be easier for you to capture the freeze :)
    It sure does sound like pauses from loading. (The armory)
    A fix for this should be in the next patch.

Any high loading times (over 5 ms) that's NOT during a map loading, you can leave here or pm me with them.
    Thanks
    (Also are you using texture streaming?)
  • foolfoolzfoolfoolz Join Date: 2013-01-24 Member: 181835Members
    Here's another log attached, different map.

grep "Loading " log.txt | sed "s/Loading '\(.*\)' took \(.*\)ms$/\2\t\1/" | sort -nr | head -50
    47.10   fonts/agencyfb_smaller_bordered.fnt
    40.90   models/misc/commander_arrow_aliens.model
    34.78   fonts/stamp_huge.fnt
    34.25   fonts/stamp_large.fnt
    29.54   models/effects/exosuit_part5.model
    28.27   fonts/stamp_medium.fnt
    22.41   fonts/stamp_huge_0.png
    21.98   models/marine/powerpoint_impulse/powerpoint_impulse.model
    21.41   fonts/kartika_small.fnt
    20.68   models/effects/frag_rock_01.model
    20.32   models/effects/exosuit_part2.model
    20.28   models/effects/phase_gate_portal.model
    18.79   models/marine/armory/health_indicator.model
    18.38   models/alien/infestation/infestation2.model
    17.40   models/alien/lerk/lerk_view_spike.model
    17.29   models/alien/infestation/infestation_shell.model
    16.66   models/effects/frag_metal_02.model
    16.48   models/effects/exosuit_part6.model
    16.43   models/effects/frag_metal_05.model
    15.46   fonts/agencyfb_smaller_bordered_0.png
    14.68   models/effects/frag_metal_01.model
    13.63   models/marine/exosuit/mm_shell.model
    13.17   models/effects/frag_rock_03.model
    12.69   fonts/stamp_large_0.png
    11.84   models/effects/exosuit_part4.model
    11.51   models/alien/infestation/infestation_blob.model
    11.40   models/effects/exosuit_part3.model
    10.43   models/effects/exosuit_part1.model
    9.86    fonts/stamp_medium_0.png
    4.54    fonts/agencyfb_smaller_bordered.fnt
    4.48    fonts/kartika_small.fnt
    4.40    fonts/agencyfb_smaller_bordered.fnt
    4.40    fonts/agencyfb_smaller_bordered.fnt
    4.34    fonts/agencyfb_smaller_bordered.fnt
    4.34    fonts/agencyfb_smaller_bordered.fnt
    4.24    fonts/agencyfb_smaller_bordered.fnt
    4.19    fonts/agencyfb_smaller_bordered.fnt
    4.14    fonts/agencyfb_smaller_bordered.fnt
    4.10    fonts/agencyfb_smaller_bordered.fnt
    4.04    fonts/agencyfb_smaller_bordered.fnt
    4.03    fonts/kartika_small.fnt
    3.87    fonts/agencyfb_smaller_bordered.fnt
    3.87    fonts/agencyfb_smaller_bordered.fnt
    3.80    fonts/agencyfb_smaller_bordered.fnt
    3.77    fonts/agencyfb_smaller_bordered.fnt
    3.76    fonts/agencyfb_smaller_bordered.fnt
    3.73    fonts/agencyfb_smaller_bordered.fnt
    3.64    fonts/agencyfb_smaller_bordered.fnt

log.txt 25.4K
    (Also are you using texture streaming?) => nop

I tried to play with profile but i just get the thing with bracket to find the good frame, so i'll test again and i'll screen it
    Hope you'll see something
    Is the info usefull ?
  • shonanshonan Join Date: 2013-01-28 Member: 182562Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    I also have freezing when getting new stuff on the screen sometimes.
  • Ghosthree3Ghosthree3 Join Date: 2010-02-13 Member: 70557Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    I get minifreezes when I first press esc, or open the armory, stuff like that. But only once.
    edited April 2018
    Your pics of the profiler arent on the tallest /worst performing frames.
    **UPDATED FOR FUTURE REFERENCE**
    • Type profile in the console (~ key) .. you will see a constant profiler running now.
    • Then when you observe the vertical bars at the bottom of the screen spike and represent a "hitch", press the SPACEBAR quickly to pause everything.
    • Now, use the bracket keys: [ and ] (UPDATE: You now use LEFT AND RIGHT ARROW keys!) to go forward or backward one frame at a time.
    • At the bottom of the screen you'll notice a highlighted bar out of the whole bunch, use the bracket keys ARROW KEYS to see it better. This is the frame you are inspecting.
    • Ensure you select the tallest frame at the bottom of the screen that you paused. This should be the worst performing frame.
    • Then expand the longest horizontal purple bars from top to bottom, of the relevent threads only , which are defined by the categories listed in yellow at the very top of the screen.
    • For example: if the "Game" thread is only 15% but the "Rendering" thread is 85%.. you'll want to use the MOUSEWHEEL to scroll down to find the horizontal purple bar that says Rendering, and then expand it completely before taking your screenshot with the F12 key.

There's no explanation of this because its a debugging tool and not meant for everyone, so i apologize for the difficulty of having to use it!
    Thanks though :)

Here's an example of what it should look like, notice how the tallest bar at the bottom is the most red? And the relevant horizontal purple bars are fully expanded to show why the yellow "Game" thread is taking up 300 ms? Thats what you want to do:

VxAODgh.jpg
  • RamblemoeRamblemoe Join Date: 2010-12-21 Member: 75812Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Retired Community Developer
    Ghosthree3 wrote: »
    foolfoolz wrote: »
    is there a way to tell steam to relocate a single game? i wouldnt mind moving my ns2 install to my ssd. i keep it on the spindle because my entire steam folder is 38GB.....

Curious about this as well, haven't got and SSD yet, but was looking into one for my OS only, my steam folder is 850gb so obviously, that isn't all going on an SSD. I would definitely put just NS2 on it though.

Yes, these days you can select which folder for steam to install specific games (in most cases). So you could have steam install NS2 on your SSD. I think it was implemented with the "Big Picture" update, although it doesn't work with all games. When you select the game to be installed from the library, you will get a drop down menu to select the path.
  • Ghosthree3Ghosthree3 Join Date: 2010-02-13 Member: 70557Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    Can't find that option for INSTALLED games. Would I need to completely reinstall it?
  • GamerkatzeGamerkatze Join Date: 2012-06-27 Member: 153711Members
    Ghosthree3 wrote: »
    Can't find that option for INSTALLED games. Would I need to completely reinstall it?

yes, but you can just copy the files to the new folder then delete the old files in steam, run reinstall in the new folder and steam will see that all files are already there.

Yea ok, i'll try again. Maybe in qwerty, caus i pushed [ and ] and nothing appened (maybe because of azerty)
    ironhorse wrote: »
    There's no explanation of this because its a debugging tool and not meant for everyone, so i apologize for the difficulty of having to use it!
    Thanks though :)

Yea i understand, i also works in developpment, not games but ebusiness ^^
  • kk20kk20 Join Date: 2012-10-30 Member: 164592Members
    I had no idea you could install steam games to different folders now. I am about a sloppy person as is, I simply copy folders from one install to another. I use "steam mover" to automate xcopy/mklink/fsutil commands.